PDA

View Full Version : Make a stylus like a pogo

Star-fire
Apr 27, 2010, 06:19 AM
I made a video on how to make a stylus like to pogo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hzTHbiGNUQ

Cyroceon
Apr 27, 2010, 06:50 AM
Great job. The key issue however, is the availability of the capacitive foam.

Star-fire
Apr 27, 2010, 07:32 AM
Go to radio shack, or fry's electronics buy a chip. Some CPUs come with it too if you have and old one around.

Zepaw
Apr 27, 2010, 07:33 AM
Meh, I just bought one. What ever :p

Cool alternative though.

Star-fire
Apr 27, 2010, 08:38 AM
That was my plan, I was going to make one and see if i liked it and then buy the Pogo, but this works so well I'll just use mine :P

yaroldb
Apr 27, 2010, 12:29 PM
This is awesome, I am going to run out on my lunch our and pick up a chip and give this a try. Thanks for the post.

timdafweak
Apr 27, 2010, 01:30 PM
Bought a Pogo from J&R for 14.01$ shipped (Silver). Could've saved myself the $ and made this. But oh well.

Nipz
Apr 27, 2010, 01:45 PM
Looks like it's worth a go! Great post!

Star-fire
Apr 27, 2010, 02:45 PM
Now I don't have a Pogo but from what I've seen that's exactly what they use.

It's worth a try to even see if you'd like it, plus you can always replace the tip with different shapes to try to your liking.

PVIllustration
Apr 28, 2010, 03:05 AM
Great stuff, and thanks for sharing this.

How small can you make the tip before it stops responding?

I know that the iPhone OS does a good job at guesstimating where you want to write/draw/press, but I would like the tip of the stylus to be as small as possible.

Do you have any idea on where the size limit is?

yaroldb
Apr 28, 2010, 09:47 AM
This is harder than I thought. I can not find conductive foam anywhere. My local radioshack and Micro center does not carry it. I looked at the chips, and they are all in plastic. I'll see if I can head out to Frys soon.

Star-fire
Apr 28, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hmm interesting. All ICs I've seen from radio shack had foam on the chip inside the little plastic bubble pack. I do know for a fact that Frys have them since that's where that chip I bought came from.

DaBrain
Apr 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
I made a video on how to make a stylus like to pogo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hzTHbiGNUQ

Thanks for the heads up on this. I will give this a go! ;)

yaroldb
Apr 29, 2010, 09:40 AM
I finally made it to Frys last night and bought a chip. (some kind of CMOS chip). It was $0.69. Worked like a charm. It really does make a difference on drawing apps. Thanks again for the tip!!!