PDA

View Full Version : Made new G5 purchase, but...


Johnkb
Sep 26, 2004, 07:34 PM
I'm a little worried that I didn't pick a good time to buy. Last night , I bought the Dual G5 1.8, it won't ship for 7-10 days.

They've been out for almost 4 months now, since June. Someone told me that they'll probably upgrade them in as little as 2 months.
Yes I realize that there'll always be something better, and you just got to decide and buy.

Is it an ok time to buy? Any opinions on the performance of the 1.8? I really don't think I can afford the extra for the 2.0.

Any links to reviews of the 1.8?

I upgraded the mem card, memory at 1GB, final cut express, bluetooth and wireless keyboard and mouse. I also doubled the harddrive to 160.

wdlove
Sep 26, 2004, 07:54 PM
I'm a little worried that I didn't pick a good time to buy. Last night , I bought the Dual G5 1.8, it won't ship for 7-10 days.

They've been out for almost 4 months now, since June. Someone told me that they'll probably upgrade them in as little as 2 months.
Yes I realize that there'll always be something better, and you just got to decide and buy.

Is it an ok time to buy? Any opinions on the performance of the 1.8? I really don't think I can afford the extra for the 2.0.

Any links to reviews of the 1.8?

I upgraded the mem card, memory at 1GB, final cut express, bluetooth and wireless keyboard and mouse. I also doubled the harddrive to 160.

There is no way of knowing for sure when they will upgrade the G5 again. With delays in shipments of the G5, don't expect anything in two months. I think that the earliest will be MWSF Jan '05. They probably wouldn't ship till February. If you need a new Mac now then purchase. Those that wait can be waiting for a long time.

Also you can never have enough memory, Mac OS X love's memory.

FuzzyBallz
Sep 26, 2004, 08:01 PM
Why are you asking after the fact? Will you cancel the order if people say you made a bad decision? And why do you care what other people say? You haven't even received your system yet and you're feeling incompetent? Stop thinking about it and enjoy it when it arrives.

crazzyeddie
Sep 26, 2004, 08:03 PM
Why are you asking after the fact? Will you cancel the order if people say you made a bad decision? And why do you care what other people say? You haven't even received your system yet and you're feeling incompetent? Stop thinking about it and enjoy it when it arrives.

Don't be so mean man. Everyone has buyers' remorse.

invaLPsion
Sep 26, 2004, 08:12 PM
I'm a little worried that I didn't pick a good time to buy. Last night , I bought the Dual G5 1.8, it won't ship for 7-10 days.

They've been out for almost 4 months now, since June. Someone told me that they'll probably upgrade them in as little as 2 months.
Yes I realize that there'll always be something better, and you just got to decide and buy.

Is it an ok time to buy? Any opinions on the performance of the 1.8? I really don't think I can afford the extra for the 2.0.

Any links to reviews of the 1.8?

I upgraded the mem card, memory at 1GB, final cut express, bluetooth and wireless keyboard and mouse. I also doubled the harddrive to 160.

Wow, congrats man, you won't be disappointed! Oh, and don't worry about that projected ship time. Apple usually ships much earlier than those dates as long as the product hasn't been recently released.

Even if it does take 7-10 days, hey, mine took a little over 2 and 1/2 months to get to me! :D

You bought the sweet spot man, the best bang for your buck right now is that dual 1.8. Also, I don't think we'll be seeing any powermac updates for another 4-6 months, minimum.

The dual 1.8 performs very well. Multitasking will be a cinch, and it will blast through FCE2. If you're into gaming, throw in one of the new ATi X series cards when they come out and you will be enjoying Doom3 at high detail. You will LOVE that computer!

Jovian9
Sep 26, 2004, 08:58 PM
I upgraded the mem card, memory at 1GB, final cut express, bluetooth and wireless keyboard and mouse. I also doubled the harddrive to 160.

Did you upgrade the RAM to 1GB from Apple or from a 3rd party RAM vendor? If you bought it from Apple you are spending a lot more $ on RAM than you need to. Go to:
ramseeker.com

Maybe you can save enough $ this way to move up to the dual 2.0.

jemeinc
Sep 26, 2004, 09:01 PM
Why are you asking after the fact? Will you cancel the order if people say you made a bad decision? And why do you care what other people say? You haven't even received your system yet and you're feeling incompetent? Stop thinking about it and enjoy it when it arrives.

A bit harsh, no ?... A lot of High Horses riding around here as of late...

jackieonasses
Sep 26, 2004, 09:02 PM
Did you upgrade the RAM to 1GB from Apple or from a 3rd party RAM vendor? If you bought it from Apple you are spending a lot more $ on RAM than you need to. Go to:
ramseeker.com

Maybe you can save enough $ this way to move up to the dual 2.0.he already bought it!

FuzzyBallz
Sep 26, 2004, 09:02 PM
Everyone has buyers' remorse.
Hey man, I used to get it all the time, but then I realize if I keep thinking about it, I'll never enjoy what's in front of me. So @#$% it, forget about it, and appreciate it.

macaddictann
Sep 26, 2004, 10:00 PM
Well, I'm planning to buy a 2.0-GHz G5 soon ("soon" being defined as "when the check arrives", heh)--probably within a month. At least, I'm crossing my fingers. And I don't plan to worry about the new machines coming out, nor do I choose to concern myself with Tiger coming in perhaps April 2005. I didn't do that on my Powerbook, and in a sense, I sort of regret it (it's 550 MHz, and I didn't even use it for like a year, so that was kind of stupid). But with a G5? Not a worry. Unless you're filthy rich and can afford to buy every new toy Apple comes up with, you're always going to be behind. I've given up on ever running the current OS. I just can't throw around $150 every time Apple decides to add a new widget or two.

QCassidy352
Sep 26, 2004, 10:00 PM
no way there's an update in 2 months. The dual 2.5s haven't been shipping very long yet.

Corrupted
Sep 26, 2004, 10:42 PM

Corrupted
Sep 26, 2004, 10:43 PM
I heard a rumor that the 1.8 will be eliminated and there will be a Dual 2.2 and 2.0 Dual low end.

Johnkb
Sep 27, 2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys, I know, I know buyers remorse has set in a bit. But I'm still excited.
The reason I thought something new was coming out soon, is because at the apple store, the G5's aren't listed as new anymore, while the emacs still are, and they came out a month earlier!

Blue Velvet
Sep 27, 2004, 10:31 AM
Buyer's remorse always appears... it's a computer.

I remember everybody at work getting jealous about my awwwwesome dual 1.42 and how pleased I was for about 10 weeks until I heard about the new G5s.

We've just bought 3 x dual 2.5gb G5s for work.

Today's super-computer -- tomorrow's work-horse, then old nag out to pasture.

fartheststar
Sep 27, 2004, 11:12 AM
Buyer's remorse always appears... it's a computer.

I remember everybody at work getting jealous about my awwwwesome dual 1.42 and how pleased I was for about 10 weeks until I heard about the new G5s.

We've just bought 3 x dual 2.5gb G5s for work.

Today's super-computer -- tomorrow's work-horse, then old nag out to pasture.

My Dual 1.25 G4 which I bought just over a year ago is a great computer. I love it. It will still do what I need it to do in 3 or 4 years. Will it do ALL that I WANT it to do? Probably not. But even with my apparently "crappy" 9000 video card and old "crappy" G4 technology, it still edits DV Video (FCP3/4), and does all the standard stuff way better than a PC. I'm not a serious editor, so I'm fine with what I got.

So true enough, figure out whether this computer 1.8 G5 will suit your needs today, and if it will barely suit your needs, you'll need a better one if you want to upgrade. If the specs are great, then just enjoy it. So many macs last so long, and they don't slow down like PC's with windows.