PDA

View Full Version : ipod touches for this years back to school

hades1223
Apr 27, 2010, 12:55 PM
I have been looking around, i assume that this year's back to school sale will be giving out free itouches like last year and the year before. but i am wondering if it will be the 3rd generation. If it is, i want to know if there's a difference between the 32gb and the 8gb besides the space. cause i saw a few posts stating that the 8gb 3rd generation has basically the same hardware of the 2nd generation. Is it wise to get the 32gb instead of the 8gb due to its better hardware?

miles01110
Apr 27, 2010, 12:57 PM
There's no difference in hardware other than the storage. They also don't "give away" free iPod touches, you have to buy it at the point of sale and then you get a rebate check which covers the cost up to the cost of the 8 GB model.

slpdLoad
Apr 27, 2010, 01:00 PM
It will be the current version at the time the promotion becomes active. It could be a new model if they announce something in June of July.

miles01110
Apr 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
It could be a new model if they announce something in June of July.

...which won't happen, since the BTS promotion is to clear inventory of old stock.

hades1223
Apr 27, 2010, 01:11 PM
would the rebate still apply if i bought the 32gb instead of the 8gb? and is this voice control useful at all?

alectheking
Apr 27, 2010, 03:20 PM
There's no difference in hardware other than the storage. They also don't "give away" free iPod touches, you have to buy it at the point of sale and then you get a rebate check which covers the cost up to the cost of the 8 GB model.

He is wrong. The difference in the 3rd generation is like you stated, the 8 gig has the older 2nd gen processor. The 32 And 64 gig have the much speedier insides just like the iPhone 3GS. The 32 and 64 gig will be able to support multi tasking in this years 4.0 update, the 8 gig will not.

Penguissimo
Apr 27, 2010, 04:39 PM
He is wrong. The difference in the 3rd generation is like you stated, the 8 gig has the older 2nd gen processor. The 32 And 64 gig have the much speedier insides just like the iPhone 3GS. The 32 and 64 gig will be able to support multi tasking in this years 4.0 update, the 8 gig will not.

Definitely listen to this guy; he knows what he's talking about. The current 8GB Touch is basically the 2nd-gen 8GB Touch with a new model number; only the 32GB and 64GB have the upgraded guts.

would the rebate still apply if i bought the 32gb instead of the 8gb?

When I took advantage of this promotion a few years ago, I bought a higher-capacity Nano than the promotion was for (can't remember the exact capacities now) and still qualified for the rebate. Of course the rebate only covered the price of the lower-capacity Nano, so I ended up paying $100 for the iPod that I got, but it was still a great deal. I would assume it'll work the same way this year (so if you bought, say, the 32GB model, you'd pay $300 at the time of sale and get a $200 rebate), but you'll probably want to double-check after they actually announce the promotion.

and is this voice control useful at all?

It's a pretty neat and relatively accurate feature, but your habits will determine how useful it is to you. Remember that you'll need to use headphones with a remote/mic for it to work, which means either using the stock Apple earbuds or specifically buying new ones that will work.

hades1223
Apr 27, 2010, 08:25 PM
thanks, i will be buying a 32gb itouch during this back to school sale.

Pgohlke
Apr 27, 2010, 08:44 PM
thanks, i will be buying a 32gb itouch during this back to school sale.

what Mac are you getting? I would recomend the 13 inch macbook for school or a 27 inch imac if you don't need mobility.

hades1223
Apr 27, 2010, 11:43 PM
im gonna go for the 13inch MBP base model. looked around and found that the higher end wasnt worth the money since i can get a hard drive cheaper. but im still going in between the 15inch base and the 13 inch base. gonna go to the apple store , pick one up and see which one is better.

Zepaw
Apr 28, 2010, 12:58 AM
It was worth getting the bigger iPod touch, it is better overall not just size. I would use the rebate to pay off part of a 16 or 32GB rather than a free 8GB.