Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chonald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
what is the difference between the dvi and dvi-d input for a display?

i want to get one of the silver apple 23inch cinema displays for a macbook pro that has the newer mini-display jack. i just want to make sure that i get the correct adapter. apple's store has a mini-display to dvi adapter... would this work? does the cinema display have a dvi or dvi-d connection?

also, with this adapter, do the usb ports on the back of the display function? or are they connected via a usb cable to the mbp?

thank you.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
You only need the DVI-D adapter to run a 30". Anything 1920x1200 or less (which includes all HDTVs) will run fine with the DVI adapter.

DVI-D only means digital only connection. DVI-I has both analog and digital connectors in it, most PC graphics cards have these so a VGA cable can be connected with an adapter. DVI-A is analog (VGA) only, again with VGA available via an adapter.

Then there is single link and dual link digital DVI. These can be DVI-D or DVI-I. Single link works for anything up to 1920x1200 resolution. Dual link is needed for higher resolutions, typically 27 and 30 inch displays at 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 resolutions.

chonald, for a 23" ACD you can just get the regular mini-Displayport to DVI adapter. No need to buy the overpriced dual link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.