Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
I have a large MKV with soft subtitles and 3 audio tracks. I want to convert to mp4 with burned in subs.

According to Handbrake developers in this older thread, Handbrake only supports burning in subs on DVD sources which is why the box is greyed out (?) http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15496 This movie was never a DVD.

I tried it anyway with checking the other boxes and playing around with the formats and it still doesn't work with the subs. On MKVTools the subs show up, but it messes up the audio and I only hear it through one speaker.

What should I use instead?

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Use HandBrake to convert the file, and then Subler to add the subtitles directly from the mkv file or from a srt one.

Or wait until someone implement this kind of conversion in HandBrake :p

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
But subler only adds the subs like I could select them on a compatible player, right? I want the subs burned into the video so they're always on.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
I'll try that, thanks.

In subler, the subs are apparently in substation alpha format. If I can convert it to srt, I can prob do this all within handbrake.

Very annoying there's no all-in-one app for this. Roadmovie looks like it would be except it's not showing the subs >__<

Last resort is sending this to my vmware vm and doing it through mkv2vob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.