PDA

View Full Version : Case Frustration... Anyone feeling it?

iRabbit
Apr 27, 2010, 11:15 PM
They all seem to have something I don't like.

Apple Case - Material seems flimsy-ish, it's not exactly attractive, and I hear it's a big dust collector.

BookStand - Not digging the grey fuzzy material... dust magnet.

Both above have the best funtionality though. I wish they were ALL this "style".

InCase Convertible - Looks great on paper, but when I watched YouTube videos it seemed like the fit wasn't all that great. Seems a little bulky. I guarantee after a certain amount of time those ridges aren't going to work very well either. Not all that sturdy.

Eco Vue - horizontal tilt orientation doesn't seem like it will be good for lap viewing... that fold-out flap won't work all that great laying back in bed I think... seems like it'll constantly want to fold itself in or not balance well on a leg.

Happy Owl - interesting, but no horizontal typing tilt (like Apple/BookStand) or kickstand. The reason they gave for not designing it with some kind of tilt seemed pretty lame ("use a rock or something" LOL).

Quirky Cloak - Promising, but not even on the radar until end of May, at least. I wonder how sturdy it will be locked into various tilt positions?

DoDo - My favorite as far as look goes, so far... but not a great tilt on the horizontal orientation. Flexibility limited. Will the iPad stay in place (yes, I've seen the video, but what about after a few months of wear-and-tear?)

Various cheaper kickstand cases - Not sturdy enough to stay in position. Cheap material. You get what you pay for.

Not digging the corner "straps" on any design that uses them.

Let's not even mention that all of them seem impossible to get. I bought a cheap cheap cheap one on ebay just to have something in case I can't the Apple Case on Friday...

What I want is something like the Happy Owl or Quirky Cloak, but nice and thin and with a sturdy horizontal tilt like the Apple Case/BookStand. Leather or leather-lookalike.

Anyone else feeling the frustration??

gibbz
Apr 27, 2010, 11:23 PM
I know what you mean. I picked up an InCase Slip Sleeve Plus (http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/neoprene-slip-sleeve-plus-cl57489) in anticipation of my 3G coming in Friday. I couldn't decide on cases so I thought I'd go with something pretty minimal to start off with. I'd love to get a really nice folio type case, but as you said each has its detractions and I can't decide yet.

ovrlrd
Apr 27, 2010, 11:45 PM
I am pretty happy with the Apple case. You are right that all the cases have their negatives, but like many things in life you just have to pick one and learn to live with the negatives. The Apple case was the one with the least negatives for me. That said I have also pre-ordered the WaterField Exo Sleevecase for when I need to carry my iPad around, the two combined will fit my needs well enough.

These are the functions I needed:

Protects against scratches and dirt, the case might get those but I would rather that than the iPad.
Acts as a stand for watching things or to make it easier to type on
Easy and comfortable to carry, minimal bulk or optional shoulder strap
Doesn't get in the way of any iPad functions

Like I said, my choices were easy since I don't care if the Apple case gets dirty (it's easy to clean) plus it acts as a stand. Meanwhile the WaterField will give me a shoulder strap when I am carrying it around everywhere, plus offer bonus protection.

robanga
Apr 27, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have the Apple case and really like it for the most part. But choosing another second case is a bit frustrating. There no sites that show all of the current options, and it's hard to judge only from pictures regardless.

Zepaw
Apr 28, 2010, 12:21 AM
Agreed. I love my Grip Vue, but it can be bothersome to have to hold it up sometimes when a stand case would be perfect for the situation.

The issue for me is no one case can do all I want and I have no desire to buy 2 cases when they cost $50+

Advil
Apr 28, 2010, 03:45 AM
The Happy Owl is the only really appealing one to me. but lack of viewing/typing angles really saddens me :(

Zepaw
Apr 28, 2010, 03:54 AM
The Happy Owl is the only really appealing one to me. but lack of viewing/typing angles really saddens me :(

Check out their idea for how to make them typing friendly. Not a bad idea actually. :p http://www.happyowlstudio.com/the-wallet-lite.html

Actually they seem to say you can stand it upright for viewing too. WANT!

H00513R
Apr 28, 2010, 07:46 AM
No problem here as mine is naked. Free your iPad! :D

Fireproof!
Apr 28, 2010, 08:08 AM
I agree with all your comments.

So far though, I've been really digging the Macally Bookstand (http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=320). It seems to be the best out there...for my tastes anyway.

- sleek and stylish
- has the stand functionality for viewing or typing
- doesn't have the dreaded corner straps
- it's very thin, yet protective
- and when open, it preserves the beauty of the ipad by showing the whole front of the ipad (versus covering up the border like a frame like many cases do).

I started out with the Incase Convertible (and still have it in case I need something really protective), but I don't see me really using it anymore...

elleana
Apr 28, 2010, 08:56 AM
If you're ok with the slight bulk and the cost, piel frama makes a pretty awesome case.

coachingguy
Apr 28, 2010, 10:11 AM
How can Apple not make enough cases for the number of iPads they plan to sell? I ordered the Apple Case online two weeks ago+ and not the shipping date just got moved back to the 10th of May! Whats up with that?

Yea, I think manufacturers are struggling with the newness of this product and have not yet found the "sweet spot". A friend of mine bought the Zagg Maximum protection kit, and hated it. It wasn't designed right, holes were off and it was an absolute pain to put on. He loved it on his 3GS!

Frustrated in Minnesota!

Coachingguy

Bodhi395
Apr 28, 2010, 10:13 AM

So far though, I've been really digging the Macally Bookstand (http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=320). It seems to be the best out there...for my tastes anyway.

- sleek and stylish
- and when open, it preserves the beauty of the ipad by showing the whole front of the ipad (versus covering up the border like a frame like many cases do).

I started out with the Incase Convertible (and still have it in case I need something really protective), but I don't see me really using it anymore...

I agree, I'm loving my Macally Bookstand, although I still sometimes like to take it out and just hold the bare iPad, since any case can get a little bulky.

As to the OP, I think you just have to realize, you are not going to find the 'perfect' case, it doesn't exist. Every case out there has its strengths and weaknesses, and you just have to find the one that suits you the best, even if it still has some flaws.

Peanut207
Apr 28, 2010, 10:13 AM

- sleek and stylish

The Macally does look nice, but that flap looks like it can be annoying. Does it get in the way at all?

Fireproof!
Apr 28, 2010, 10:23 AM
The Macally does look nice, but that flap looks like it can be annoying. Does it get in the way at all?

Yeah - it's not "ideal." It bugged me a bit at first, but I've learned to work around it. I tend to just folded back and forget about it.

I don't think the "perfect" case exists yet. :)

pyrodex
Apr 28, 2010, 10:35 AM
+1 for the happy owl here.

The typing thing is annoying but honestly not a deal breaker.

I've wanted a NICE leather (or fake) looking folio with a screen cover, however most of the ones out there either use the 4 straps to hold the ipad in or they leave a good deal of the sides exposed with it closed. I would like all the ports cut out but I don't want my entire side exposed or my top/bottom.

TraceyS/FL
Apr 28, 2010, 10:54 AM
I can't decide.

I did a typing test with DD's yesterday - and I for sure can't type for crap with the Apple Case tilted (i used to tilt my keyboard down at the back at work for wrist problems).

I don't know what i'm going to do.... neked for awhile i guess.

normwood
Apr 28, 2010, 11:43 AM
How can Apple not make enough cases for the number of iPads they plan to sell? I ordered the Apple Case online two weeks ago+ and not the shipping date just got moved back to the 10th of May! Whats up with that?

Yea, I think manufacturers are struggling with the newness of this product and have not yet found the "sweet spot". A friend of mine bought the Zagg Maximum protection kit, and hated it. It wasn't designed right, holes were off and it was an absolute pain to put on. He loved it on his 3GS!

Frustrated in Minnesota!

Coachingguy

My Apple case is on the FedEx truck and will be delivered today along with my camera connection kit. Of course I don't have an iPad yet to use them with...until Friday! :D

Just had to rub it in!

Satisfied in Minnesota!:D

Steve

anonymous6237
Apr 28, 2010, 02:58 PM
Being a minimalist myself I hate using cases for such beautifully designed products. I just use a simple net-book neoprene sleeve for basic protection while not in use.

I understand that many people want a case but I just love the way the iPad looks and (like the iPhone) I feel it needs to be case-less for beauty's sake.

My $.02

sracer
Apr 28, 2010, 03:32 PM
Being a minimalist myself I hate using cases for such beautifully designed products. I just use a simple net-book neoprene sleeve for basic protection while not in use.

I understand that many people want a case but I just love the way the iPad looks and (like the iPhone) I feel it needs to be case-less for beauty's sake.

My $.02
I just want something very thin that covers only the screen. hinged would be great, but I'd settle for something that snaps on.

StBDawg
Apr 28, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'm pretty frustrated with the case situation as well. I have a few different cases. I got the Apple case on day 1. I liked it initially but I grew to dislike the edges and I hated how dust/dirt would build up around the edges of the screen and it was hard to wipe the whole screen down with the case blocking the bezel. So I took the Apple case off and I use it without any case now. But I am hating not having a stand.

I also got the Incase Neoprene Sleeve. I really like it because the inside is nice and soft.

I ordered the Macally Bookstand Case yesterday from J&R (it said Expect 3-5 Days before shipping but I got a shipping email today). I hope I am satisified with it. I'm looking forward to being able to have it propped up so I can type easier while nothing is covering the screen.

I don't think I'll ever find a case right for me because I love the way it looks so I really don't like covering it up at all. I'll probably just use the Macally when I want to type and use the Neoprene sleeve to take it places.

Romanesq
Apr 28, 2010, 05:13 PM
No way I can appreciate the iPad without a case with multiple viewing and also stand angles.
The Incase Convertible seems the best pick overall. The only issue with it is the alignment can change with a shift and that became annoying. It was a real issue even if took a second to adjust as it was a regular thing.

Took a no. 50 binder clip out of the drawer and snapped that baby on the bottom. Turned the case upside down and then snapped on the binder clip. Flipped one clip on the interior up and then just slipped off the top alloy clip from the front.

Voila! Now the case works perfectly and stays in alignment no matter what you do when using it.

I'm thinking maybe a couple of smaller clips might work too. Maybe two smaller medium ones closer to the side. Bottom line, I'm not concerned about case envy. But the Incase just needed this little adjustment. The iPad seems much happier.

I've installed the one no. 50 clip a bit to the left. It's centered enough holding the unit in place perfectly with all the ports but not in the way in flipping your finger when turning it on.

Perfect. :cool: