Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Long story short, I've always wanted to use Salling Clicker for the iTunes proximity turning on and off feature, don't have a Bluetooth phone, and need to know if there is just a Bluetooth gadget that has a Bluetooth signal and can do that cool stuff but is not super expensive and not a phone.

My in-laws have a Apple Bluetooth mouse they don't use, would that ever in a million years work for this? Could I even take it apart and make a pocket sized Bluetooth super-simple device? Am I crazy?

Thanks for your opinion, about the device that is...

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
What about this...

Any idea how I could make a simple set of scripts that when I have the mouse in my pocket and walk away, iTunes pauses, come back and it starts again, and a simple click would play and/or pause.

It would be like the ultimately simple iTunes remote that I could leave out on the coffee table, if only I knew how to use AppleScript really well.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm certain it can be done, but I don't know of a simple way to do it (Furthermore, I personally wouldnt be able to do it in a complex way either). But I do know that the computer knows when a bluetooth device is detected and knows when it goes out of range. It probably even knows how strong the signal is (and if not with bluetooth, then certainly with wifi) so it can be done. I don't think you'll find an easy solution though, so I think you'll have to settle with actually clicking a button to make it pause when you walk away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.