Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
Recently i purchased final cut express 4.0 from my school store only to find that the copy they sold me is the Academic Version.

So my question is weather or not i could use this version for commercial means, or is it restricted for student use only?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Recently i purchased final cut express 4.0 from my school store only to find that the copy they sold me is the Academic Version.

So my question is weather or not i could use this version for commercial means, or is it restricted for student use only?

With the Academic versions you are not allowed to make any money with it, so no commercial use.

FCE 4.0 costs 199USD, what did you pay for yours?

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
If you are a qualified user (a student, staff, or faculty at a qualifying institution), then you are entitled to purchase and use the academic version. As far as I know, the academic license agreement only entitles you to create work in your capacity as a student, staff, or faculty member. For commercial purposes you will need the commercial license of the software.

Ultimately, however, it is up to you and your conscience. Making a few bucks on the side doing freelance work using academic license software probably isn't going to get you caught.

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
With the Academic versions you are not allowed to make any money with it, so no commercial use.

FCE 4.0 costs 199USD, what did you pay for yours?

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

The academic version is 179.00. I thought the academic version of any Apple product means that only students and faculty are allowed to purchase it. Also reading the EULA for FCE i found no specific mention not being able to use FCE for commercial use.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The academic version is 179.00. I thought the academic version of any Apple product means that only students and faculty are allowed to purchase it. Also reading the EULA for FCE i found no specific mention not being able to use FCE for commercial use.

With all the academic versions of software I have purchased, though no FCE, I was limited to non-commercial use. Avid MC for example or Adobe PS and so on.

You can contact Apple and ask them and point out, that the EULA does not state that and the word ACADEMIC only occur three times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.