Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRayFilms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
My friend imported some video onto my imac from his camera. He is out of town for awhile and doesnt have the name of the camera, but I believe it is the Insignia NS-DV1080P. I have a 20 inch aluminum imac that I imported the footage to through usb. When I try to play the video in quicktime the video is white and I can hear the audio. Not sure how I can fix this, let me know if that is enough information for some help. thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Try to open it in MPEG Streamclip, VLC Player or Movist, the latter even provides you some information on what codec is used by opening the Properties window (CMD+OPTION+C).

Other than that, you have to provide more information, for example the suffix of the file(s), like .avi, .mpg, .mov or something else.

Maybe http://perian.org/ can help giving you playback abilities with QT.

JRayFilms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
The suffix is AVI. and I went to show movie information i think its called in quicktime and it said the format is N/A.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The suffix is AVI. and I went to show movie information i think its called in quicktime and it said the format is N/A.

Then, as written before, either install Perian to play back some .avis via QT player or use Movist (to find out the codec for instance) or VLC Player to play it back.

QuickTime does not really like .avi files, especially if they use some quirky codec.

And to quote myself:

Try to open it in MPEG Streamclip, VLC Player or Movist, the latter even provides you some information on what codec is used by opening the Properties window (CMD+OPTION+C).

Other than that, you have to provide more information, for example the suffix of the file(s), like .avi, .mpg, .mov or something else.

Maybe http://perian.org/ can help giving you playback abilities with QT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.