PDA

View Full Version : Obscure question about internet sharing

iGrant
Apr 28, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hey,

This might not be the best place to ask this, but this is the geek gamer in me. I want to play a game on my Dreamcast online, however the broadband adapter is ridiculously expensive, so I was wondering if I could share my internet connection from my Ethernet to my modem and connect my Sega Dreamcast to my modem on my Mac.

Would that work?

Thanks
iGrant

spinnerlys
Apr 28, 2010, 03:11 PM
The modem is the device that dials up into the internet, the router is the device that splits the signal to other devices and also sets the modem to dial up or not. Then the iMac is coming into the chain.

So what you propose sounds kinda strange, as your iMac gets its internet from the modem, maybe without router, if the iMac uses PPPoE instead of a router. As Mac OS X is only able to share internet on the other free network devices, you can only share it via W-LAN or maybe Firewire, if you are connected to the modem/router via LAN cable.

Why don't you get a router and set it up to use PPPoE and connect the iMac and Dreamcast to that?

Btw, this is only guesswork, as I don't know your internet setup, so if you can provide more details on that and how many devices are linked together and what settings are used, more help can be delivered.