PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Browser = The best thing since sliced bread!

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 02:14 AM
I ran across this while doing a search for Opera (hoping they had also released an iPad version) and thought it's leaps and bounds above Safari.

It has a bunch of features but the main highlights I found are the tabs, which work the same way as on a desktop computer and switch VERY fast (unlike the Safari method), it doesn't appear to reload pages when you switch tabs, it has a "Find in page" search which highlights all found words and also has a full screen mode which places all the buttons at the bottom which to me makes a lot more sense then at the top of the iPad. Full screen even hides the iPad clock/wifi status bar.

A couple downsides is that it doesn't auto suggest items when searching in Google and for some reason the URL address bar some times takes a couple taps to bring up the onscreen keyboard.

anthonymoody
Apr 13, 2010, 08:37 AM
I ran across this while doing a search for Opera (hoping they had also released an iPad version) and thought it's leaps and bounds above Safari.

It has a bunch of features but the main highlights I found are the tabs, which work the same way as on a desktop computer and switch VERY fast (unlike the Safari method), it doesn't appear to reload pages when you switch tabs, it has a "Find in page" search which highlights all found words and also has a full screen mode which places all the buttons at the bottom which to me makes a lot more sense then at the top of the iPad. Full screen even hides the iPad clock/wifi status bar.

A couple downsides is that it doesn't auto suggest items when searching in Google and for some reason the URL address bar some times takes a couple taps to bring up the onscreen keyboard.

How does googledocs work? Can you create new files, open and work on existing ones, and save them back to the cloud? Can you attach docs to emails?

ClaireL
Apr 13, 2010, 10:48 AM
I bought it last night and think it's the best browser for the iPad currently. It leaves Safari in the dust IMHO. I love the tabs, Adblock and it's speedy too.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 10:53 AM
I bought it last night and think it's the best browser for the iPad currently. It leaves Safari in the dust IMHO. I love the tabs, Adblock and it's speedy too.

I haven't found it to be speedier...some sites loaded about a second faster but others a second slower and others the same. Thought it would be faster since it blocks the ads. I love a lot of the features though.

anthonymoody
Apr 13, 2010, 10:59 AM
Okay pins and needles here guys - don't hold out on me! :D

KJ500
Apr 13, 2010, 11:14 AM
just tried it. Meh

No real reason to switch from Safari.

ClaireL
Apr 13, 2010, 11:19 AM
I haven't found it to be speedier...some sites loaded about a second faster but others a second slower and others the same. Thought it would be faster since it blocks the ads. I love a lot of the features though.

Features are superior to Safari that's for sure.

Sleazy E
Apr 13, 2010, 11:21 AM
i would love "find in page" ability but its not enough for me to pay for. i will stick with Safari. I just tried Opera last night on the iphone and ipad and it was disappointing.

LSUtigers03
Apr 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'm surprised that Apple hasn't updated Safari to have desktop like tabs. The way tabs are done on safari is lame. There should at least be an option for normal tabbed browsing.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
Okay pins and needles here guys - don't hold out on me! :D

Yes Google Docs works but it's buggy.

I was able to edit my spreadsheet that I had previously created but I cand scroll down or to the right, it only shows me what fits on the screen.

I was able to create a new spreadsheet and that worked ok and while I could start a new word processing document, the keyboard would not pop up for me to type.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 11:24 AM
i would love "find in page" ability but its not enough for me to pay for. i will stick with Safari. I just tried Opera last night on the iphone and ipad and it was disappointing.

Its 99 cents for crying out loud! Haha

Sleazy E
Apr 13, 2010, 11:31 AM
Its 99 cents for crying out loud! Haha

and the feature "find on page" isn't worth $.99 to me obviously. I use that feature maybe once every few weeks on my laptop so it is something I can live without. if I bought every item that I saw just because it was only $.99 I wouldn't have any money to buy what I actually want :)

vw195
Apr 13, 2010, 11:38 AM
Can one open a podcast/mp3 in one tab and listen to it playing in another tab? That deosnt work on safari

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 11:39 AM
True. The full screen browsing is pretty sweet though...when I go back to Safari now the a dress bar sticks out like a sore thumb. plus the tabs are so much better.

Did you try the free Lite version? I wonder what the limitations are vs the paid version.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 11:40 AM
Can one open a podcast/mp3 in one tab and listen to it playing in another tab? That deosnt work on safari

Give me something to try and I'll tell you.

fishepa
Apr 13, 2010, 11:42 AM
A couple downsides is that it doesn't auto suggest items when searching in Google

Can anyone else verify this? I use this feature all the time when searching Google. I would miss that.

Sleazy E
Apr 13, 2010, 11:45 AM
True. The full screen browsing is pretty sweet though...when I go back to Safari now the a dress bar sticks out like a sore thumb. plus the tabs are so much better.

Did you try the free Lite version? I wonder what the limitations are vs the paid version.

they have a lite version? I am game for trying it out. The full screen browing does sound like it might be something I will like.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 11:45 AM
It's true, trust me. Instead of suggestions, you get a list of different search engines such as Google, Bing, eBay, Amazon..or what ever you want to add. this is also where the Find in Page search is selected.

vw195
Apr 13, 2010, 11:48 AM
Give me something to try and I'll tell you.

Something like this page: http://twit.tv/twit

TIA

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 11:48 AM
they have a lite version? I am game for trying it out. The full screen browing does sound like it might be something I will like.

Just looked it up and it seems like the Lite version is just for the iPhone.

Sleazy E
Apr 13, 2010, 11:53 AM
Just looked it up and it seems like the Lite version is just for the iPhone.

thanks for the heads up I will check it out right now.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 12:00 PM
Something like this page: http://twit.tv/twit

TIA

Is that supposed to be non Flash based because itbsays to install Flash.

vw195
Apr 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
Is that supposed to be non Flash based because itbsays to install Flash.

Interesting.. I dont have my ipad here. Normally I have it said up in a google reader feed that I can click on and it opens the mp3 player in a window. I will try it tonight as I went ahead and bought it :)

anthonymoody
Apr 13, 2010, 12:56 PM

I was able to edit my spreadsheet that I had previously created but I cand scroll down or to the right, it only shows me what fits on the screen.

I was able to create a new spreadsheet and that worked ok and while I could start a new word processing document, the keyboard would not pop up for me to type.

MANY thanks. Bummer that it doesn't work better but it seems better than what we know of Safari in this regard.

vw195
Apr 13, 2010, 05:37 PM
Interesting.. I dont have my ipad here. Normally I have it said up in a google reader feed that I can click on and it opens the mp3 player in a window. I will try it tonight as I went ahead and bought it :)

For what it is worth, I was able to click on that twit.tv, select download audio which started the streaming podcast, switch to other tabs and surf to my hearts content. Pretty neat. Well worth .99. Wish it had a better improt function though

Doju
Apr 13, 2010, 05:45 PM
I'd love to install it, heck it's only a dollar, but wow, the colors and design looks like a blind chimp with a crayon designed it. That alone makes me want to save my dollar. Update it to at least make it look presentable and I'd buy it.

aaquib
Apr 13, 2010, 06:18 PM
I'd love to install it, heck it's only a dollar, but wow, the colors and design looks like a blind chimp with a crayon designed it. That alone makes me want to save my dollar. Update it to at least make it look presentable and I'd buy it.

Just got the app. There are multiple colour schemes, including one that mimics Safari.

Internet on the iPad is FINALLY complete for me. No more reloading tabs :D

doug in albq
Apr 13, 2010, 06:44 PM
WOW, seriously impressed.

(especially after trying that bag of hurt, Opera Mini)

bluehaze013
Apr 13, 2010, 06:53 PM
Just got the app. There are multiple colour schemes, including one that mimics Safari.

Internet on the iPad is FINALLY complete for me. No more reloading tabs :D

Do the tabs not reload? How many tabs can you open without reloading? If so this will be a huge improvement over Safari perhaps I will give it a try.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 06:56 PM
Do the tabs not reload? How many tabs can you open without reloading? If so this will be a huge improvement over Safari perhaps I will give it a try.

That is correct, the tabs DO NOT reload. I don't know how many you can have...I usually only have 3-4 open but none of them reloaded automatically, which was great.

And as someone said above, there are a bunch of color schemes and I agree the "stock" one isn't very good. I set mine to the "Safari" color scheme.

aaquib
Apr 13, 2010, 07:08 PM

Had about five tabs open and no reloads. I can even have music playing in a tab. My only issue with is is that I can't seem to get my bookmarks to retain its position on the browser window, as is possible in Safari.

There are also supposedly multitouch gestures, but I can't seem to get them to work. Also, another caveat with the browser is that it doesn't retain your tabs nor state when you even exit it for a second. On safari, I could begin loading a page, head to the iPod, come back and the page would be loaded, but on Atomic browser, all but my foreground tab disappear and even my main tab has to reload.

sweteg
Apr 13, 2010, 07:12 PM
There are also supposedly multitouch gestures, but I can't seem to get them to work.

Hey bud, make sure you're setting them right. I installed it and first thing I did was adjusted the gestures to go back and forward on web pages (2 finger swipe) and it's working great. I changed the tab switching to 2 finger swipe up and down (because it doesn't allow you to set 3 finger swiping). Very nice browser so far. I'll be using it more tonight when I take a study break.

edit: Make sure it's not a short swipe, but a longer one. I'd say about 3-4 inches at least.

thedge18
Apr 13, 2010, 07:29 PM
I downloaded it and am liking what I'm seeing so far. The great thing about it is you can choose what you want your browser to be identified as, including Safari Desktop and Firefox. I changed my setting to Safari Desktop and was able to open a Google text doc to edit as one can do on a desktop, but I wasn't actually able to edit the text. I could only edit the title, add a table or equation etc., but the page looks exactly as it does on your laptop or desktop - you just can't edit the text.

ClaireL
My hat goes off to the creator of this Atomic Browser because it's awesome. No reloading pages when I have tabs open, I added go to the top/bottom and refresh buttons and love all the settings. Very well done.

pooryou

You can do "find in page" in Safari with a Bookmarklet, there are a bunch of examples if you search Google.

aaquib
Apr 13, 2010, 07:44 PM
Anyone find an intuitive way to access bookmarks like in Safari?

doug in albq
Apr 13, 2010, 07:53 PM
Anyone find an intuitive way to access bookmarks like in Safari?

you should go play with the app a bit more before you presume so many things about this app.

hit the star for bookmarks....
upload a bookmark list from your main PC/Mac and import for complete list
yes, there is an option to remember tabs
yes multitouch gestures work

DaBrain
Apr 13, 2010, 07:54 PM
HXGuy,
TYVM for mentioning this app! This makes my browsing needs complete.

I think it's a Great app! Especially for my sorry eyes. I love all the features.

Best 99 cents I have spent in a long time.

Well worth it! Thanks again! ;)

lily69
Apr 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
Got mine yesterday, with AD filter turns on, it's very fast.
And full screen browsing is awesome with customizeable tool bar.

Barham
Apr 13, 2010, 08:13 PM
I've tried alternate browsers on the iPhone before, but they all seem to be missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. However, this is really impressive. I worry a little bit about how often this app will be updated and improved.

The tabs a an excellent feature, no reloads. It's amazing how much time iPad Safari spends just reloading tabs.

The multitouch gestures are a nice idea, but they aren't 100% functional at this point. The suggestion about assigning back and forward was a good one.

The tab bar looks a bit awkward in fullsceen mode, but the mode itself is welcome and is now my default.

If nothing else, this app has got me to try something different. I'll try to report back on it after a bit of use.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 08:33 PM
The swipe gesture work but you have to swipe about 60% of the screen. In another thread (here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=895063 ) the creator said he will reduce the amount needed to swipe before the gesture is recognized.

About the browser not retaining its state when you exit it (like Safari does), he said there is nothing that can be done until OS 4.0 is out (with multitasking). Safari basically isn't actually closing when you exit it (its multitasking in a way) which is why it doesnt have to reload when you launch it.

I do wish the creator would fix the zoom to match that of Safari. Atomic doesn't let you zoom as close in...it bounces back out when you release your fingers.

cainnovacaine
Apr 13, 2010, 09:43 PM
It's decent and you can fake your way into a new document in Google Docs, however, from there I can't pull up the keyboard... So bust.

anthonymoody
Apr 13, 2010, 09:52 PM
... I changed my setting to Safari Desktop and was able to open a Google text doc to edit as one can do on a desktop, but I wasn't actually able to edit the text. I could only edit the title, add a table or equation etc., but the page looks exactly as it does on your laptop or desktop - you just can't edit the text.

It's decent and you can fake your way into a new document in Google Docs, however, from there I can't pull up the keyboard... So bust.

So close, yet...

bluehaze013
Apr 13, 2010, 10:14 PM
Only been using for a couple hours so far but my initial impressions are that this browser blows Safari off the planet. Thanks for the headsup HX will be using for the next couple days at least to see what quirks come about but so far it's great, this is what Safari should have been.

anthonymoody
Apr 13, 2010, 10:25 PM
I downloaded it and am liking what I'm seeing so far. The great thing about it is you can choose what you want your browser to be identified as, including Safari Desktop and Firefox. I changed my setting to Safari Desktop and was able to open a Google text doc to edit as one can do on a desktop, but I wasn't actually able to edit the text. I could only edit the title, add a table or equation etc., but the page looks exactly as it does on your laptop or desktop - you just can't edit the text.

Hey if you're willing...just out of curiosity what happens (with Google docs) when you choose Firefox? And what other options does it give you?

UCF Sam
Apr 13, 2010, 10:57 PM
Wow this browser is great, the way tabs work is a killer feature... Not only do they not reload when you switch between them, but they also run in the background, so you can keep music playing or whatever. I also downloaded the iPhone version since it's universal, works great too. Thanks for the heads up.

MicroByte
Apr 13, 2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks SO much for the browser Recommendation! I love that I can customize it as I see fit and love the fact that the tabs actually seem to work as they should.

As mentioned above, a nuance would be the way that bookmarks don't seem to remain in the same subfolder that was accessed previously.

Thanks again!

mj1108
Apr 13, 2010, 11:36 PM
I'm just going to pile on the lovefest here. I didn't even know about this browser until I read this thread. Just bought it and WOW.....blows the socks off Safari. This is a must have.....and for 99 cents, a no-brainer.

Neverbepeace
Apr 14, 2010, 12:52 AM
While the browser is nice and better then safari......it still reloads my pages when I come back into the app......actually, I will leave a page on a certain website.....once i return, it reloads to google search engine lollolol :confused:

*update*

I switched settings and it reloads back to the page I was on.....however, it still reloads.

xraydoc
Apr 14, 2010, 02:21 AM
Hey if you're willing...just out of curiosity what happens (with Google docs) when you choose Firefox? And what other options does it give you?

Same. Doesn't quite work.

2jzgze
Apr 14, 2010, 02:43 AM
This browser just totally filled the gap between my MacBook air and iPad! I love it! Thanks for the suggestion guys

TimothyB
Apr 14, 2010, 03:37 AM
Works great, but a feature I was looking forward too is broken half the time.

It's the open in background tab, sometimes open in new tab if followed after a background tab.

After the first, it seems to open the wrong links. I came across this when I wanted to open a series of stories on a website. Like if you were on a forum and opened all the threads you were interested in first. When I finally swiped to check them, I found repeats of the same story, or just ones I never tried to open. So now I can't trust this feature.

Zooming in and out seems to help, like it refreshes it.

Also, the pop-up menu location can be random, often pointing at the wrong item, or even missing buttons. Annoying when it shows up under your hand.

HXGuy
Apr 14, 2010, 10:06 AM
While the browser is nice and better then safari......it still reloads my pages when I come back into the app......actually, I will leave a page on a certain website.....once i return, it reloads to google search engine lollolol :confused:

*update*

I switched settings and it reloads back to the page I was on.....however, it still reloads.

It has to reload as you are quittingbthe app and then restarting it, there is no multitasking right now.

Drew-UK
Apr 18, 2010, 01:46 PM
Wow got this before. Thanks to the op for the heads up.

Far superior to safari IMO

AtomicBrowser
Apr 18, 2010, 02:13 PM

More like a developer using gimp which probably isn't much better ;)

I'm getting some good pointers for a ui refresh in this thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=895063&page=4

dougb256
Apr 18, 2010, 04:47 PM
Just got this browser, went to appshopper.com, clicked on a "get it" link for another app and.... nothing. Did not go to the App Store. Tried the same link in Safari and it worked correctly.

Am I missing something?

ClaireL
Apr 18, 2010, 04:56 PM
Just got this browser, went to appshopper.com, clicked on a "get it" link for another app and.... nothing. Did not go to the App Store. Tried the same link in Safari and it worked correctly.

Am I missing something?

You have to hold down for an extra second or so, then a menu will pop giving you a choice to open the link or open it in a separate tab etc.

HXGuy
Apr 28, 2010, 09:14 PM
I know there is an App forum but this browser is just too damn good to not let everyone know. :D

The update was just released today which makes it even better. It seriously fixes all the gripes people have about Safari and is so good it feels like Apple themselves released a new software version with the things that were missing.

The only thing that it's missing is a bookmarks bar (like desktop Safari) but that is coming in version 3.0.

My favorite features are:

• No auto refreshing of tabs
• Finger gestures that you can set yourself (I have 2 finger gestures for bring up bookmarks, going back to previous page, refreshing the page, and going to the bottom of the page
• 3 finger tap for going in/out of full page mode
• Set your own color themes

FtrV8
Apr 28, 2010, 09:18 PM
Good to hear. I just purchased it today, now that waiting on the iPad on Friday to test it. :)

gwynne
Apr 28, 2010, 09:19 PM
Can you edit google documents with it yet?

HXGuy
Apr 28, 2010, 09:21 PM

Which documents? You can already edit Google Spreadsheets even with Safari.

kirchnrd
Apr 28, 2010, 09:26 PM
Yes, yes it is a great app!

xraydoc
Apr 28, 2010, 09:26 PM

No. Or at least not with the word processor module.

gwynne
Apr 28, 2010, 09:27 PM
Text documents, yeah.

Don't get why it's such a holy Grail, but apparently it must be harder to do than it seems.

flyguy206
Apr 28, 2010, 09:36 PM
It is good but I wish they would get rid of the bar at the bottom. I always hated that about my iPhone

HXGuy
Apr 28, 2010, 09:40 PM
It is good but I wish they would get rid of the bar at the bottom. I always hated that about my iPhone

What bar? You can view it in full screen mode with no bar at all.

flyguy206
Apr 28, 2010, 09:46 PM
What bar? You can view it in full screen mode with no bar at all.

I know but when it is not in fullscreen it has a bar at the bottom

HXGuy
Apr 28, 2010, 09:49 PM
Thats true, but why would you ever not use it in full screen. :)

JZ Wire
Apr 28, 2010, 09:49 PM
Its definitely a good browser, maybe not the best, but its good. I especially like the fact that I can switch from tab to tab and not have them refresh every time. I hope Apple brings out an update to Safari so it can stop that annoying behavior. Atomic ftw.

Davydd
Apr 28, 2010, 09:52 PM
The Atomic Web Browser solved a problem for me. It let me changed the setting to Desktop Safari and I was able to sign on to my brokerage web site without automatically defaulting to the less featured mobile web site.

nando2323
Apr 28, 2010, 09:58 PM
Props on this. This is way better then Safari. Safari was good don't get me wrong but this is way better.

arcsbite
Apr 28, 2010, 10:11 PM
great :rolleyes:

....I just spent another $0.99 at the app store....thanks :D

cbdoc
Apr 28, 2010, 10:14 PM
Wow. Incredible.

Discaciate
Apr 28, 2010, 10:19 PM

Same as me. Hate how the back and foward controls are on the lower side. I wish it was on the top bar.

danpass
Apr 28, 2010, 10:19 PM
great :rolleyes:

....I just spent another $0.99 at the app store....thanks :D

lol

still waiting on the iPad but I downloaded the free version for iPhone. Pretty awesome.

Nice to be able to lock rotation and also to set a soft button to zoom to bottom as well as top.

coelacanth
Apr 28, 2010, 10:22 PM
Wow. Great browser. Thanks much for posting this.

d.l.b.
Apr 28, 2010, 10:27 PM
How did I miss this?!? This is awesome and has replaced Safari on my iPhone (and my iPad when it ships!)... thanks for pointing this out!

iRabbit
Apr 28, 2010, 10:36 PM
This is one of the first apps I'm going to buy... we just bought it for my husband's iPad tonight and it's AWESOME.

Did anyone find it a little buggy with facebook though? My husband was complaining about it not always refreshing properly... but I wasn't the one on it, so I don't know...

RoarinRow
Apr 28, 2010, 11:12 PM
I like the 'save a web page' and 'private' browsing features. Thanks for lettings us know about this browser. Like the full screen option too.

fobfob
Apr 28, 2010, 11:16 PM
HIGHLY recommended. After the fairly mediocre opera I thought there was no hope for a viable replacement for safari, but this really is fantastic. despite being fully featured, it is almost as slick in feel as safari. it can only get better. get it!.

kloan
Apr 29, 2010, 02:04 AM
Man this is worth it just for the 'doesn't automatically refresh' thing... i HATE that about Safari.... and only $0.99?? Seems like a great deal to me.

HXGuy
Apr 29, 2010, 02:18 AM
Same as me. Hate how the back and foward controls are on the lower side. I wish it was on the top bar.

Really? May I ask why you prefer the bar at the top?

I found that very annoying as I had to reach across the screen and cover it with my hand/arm every time. With the controls at the bottom, it makes sense since the your hands are more likely to be at the bottom of the screen, not floating in the air at the top.

I don't even use the bar though...I use the browser in full screen and disabled all the buttons at the bottom..I can do everything needed via gestures.

Nebrie
Apr 29, 2010, 02:29 AM
I already owned a copy of iCab mobile and decided to load it onto the iPad. It also doesn't auto-reload tabs! WTH is up with Safari then?

kultschar
Apr 29, 2010, 02:44 AM
Sounds like all these excuses about Safari and poor ipad RAM is a load of old bull!!!!

WalledMacGarden
Apr 29, 2010, 02:45 AM
I just had some sliced bread...no contest, bread wins.:D

But this browser does look nice, I would use it, probably too much for my parents though...I installed firefox and showed them the tabs and they still just use one tab.

TraceyS/FL
Apr 29, 2010, 03:21 AM
This is one of the first apps I'm going to buy... we just bought it for my husband's iPad tonight and it's AWESOME.

Did anyone find it a little buggy with facebook though? My husband was complaining about it not always refreshing properly... but I wasn't the one on it, so I don't know...

You do know you don't have to buy another copy for your ipad right?

Just authorize his account on your iTunes and/or ipad and go from there.

I will have to get this so that when I have people doing web mail they can use it.

kultschar
Apr 29, 2010, 03:25 AM
Does Facebook chat work with Atomic or is that a Facebook/ipad issue and not a safari problem??

The iPhone app on ipad drives me nuts!!!

MacRumorUser
Apr 29, 2010, 03:30 AM
Thank goodness they changed their App Icon with latest update, although I'm still not overly keen on it.

The App itself is grand but has a number of quirks that irritate as much as Safari tbh.

Some forms like Amazons Kindle management page don't work.

When trying to type into the address bar or any other search field it sometimes has a habit of undoing itself or getting stuck, meaning you have to retype - or have to click out of the field you were typing in, and then back in.

I like the fact you can choose a custom color.

I would like to be able to hide the bottom tool bar alone.

Full screen mode is ok, but the buttons are very antiquated and look aesthetically unpleasing on the bottom.

MultiSwipe is hit and miss. Often if a page is stretched horizontally, then a horizontal swipe usually registers as a pan or zoom, more often than not. Same with vertical mutitouch swipes.

Good app though for its price, but not perfect.

MikePA
Apr 29, 2010, 03:44 AM
Its definitely a good browser, maybe not the best, but its good.

If it's not the best, which browser is?

CDRacingZX6R
Apr 29, 2010, 03:53 AM
Thank you for posting this recommendation! I use the Ipad as my primary computer now, and I love the tab features in Atomic. Saves lots of time!

Gymgenius
Apr 29, 2010, 04:55 AM
I'm so looking forward to using this, and once I get my iPad, this will be App Store purchase#1!

spammerhamster
Apr 29, 2010, 05:30 AM
Thank goodness they changed their App Icon with latest update, although I'm still not overly keen on it.

The App itself is grand but has a number of quirks that irritate as much as Safari tbh.

Some forms like Amazons Kindle management page don't work.

When trying to type into the address bar or any other search field it sometimes has a habit of undoing itself or getting stuck, meaning you have to retype - or have to click out of the field you were typing in, and then back in.

I like the fact you can choose a custom color.

I would like to be able to hide the bottom tool bar alone.

Full screen mode is ok, but the buttons are very antiquated and look aesthetically unpleasing on the bottom.

MultiSwipe is hit and miss. Often if a page is stretched horizontally, then a horizontal swipe usually registers as a pan or zoom, more often than not. Same with vertical mutitouch swipes.

Good app though for its price, but not perfect.

And now... the atomic browser discussion is scattered....
these kind of (good) suggestions should go into http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=895063 so the devver can see them.

Mellofello808
Apr 29, 2010, 06:23 AM
I hope they can get the bugs out of this program. It crashes all the time on me.

When it does work it's great though. During the day I like to listen to npr while I'm browsing. I have been using my iPhone to stream recently, which seems silly. This allows me to stream to one tab and brows on another. It's a taste of how sweet multitasking will be.

Cautiously recommended. It's not quite there yet.

dhy8386
Apr 29, 2010, 07:03 AM
Does Facebook chat work with Atomic or is that a Facebook/ipad issue and not a safari problem??

The iPhone app on ipad drives me nuts!!!

It's an iPad,iphone problem but whats nice is atomic gives you option to present your browser as desktop safri,firefox,ie, etc. If you choose a desktop browser chat works but status updating wont work cause the keyboard will not popup. If you choose to run as mobile safari all works except chat. Not sure the developer can do anything. But if you know you I'll be chatting a lot then its very simple to make the change.

Wouod be interesting if he could allow the browser choice on a tab by tab basis.

Apr 29, 2010, 07:24 AM
Love It but prefer it to have a visible bookmark bar.

Advil
Apr 29, 2010, 08:30 AM
Just bought it and posting from it now! Few questions..

How did you guys set up instapaper? Can you "find" in a page, like cmd F.

Any settings that are switched off by default that i should enable? I already found adblock. And can i make it my default.

Thanks. Love this browser already.

T4R06
Apr 29, 2010, 08:34 AM
I just downloaded this browser and it was awesome! It took me like minutes to learn all the good stuff and features. I love the full screen tap via 3 finger, 2 finger left or right scroll changing website.:)

MiguelS
Apr 29, 2010, 08:39 AM
Sweet, I was waiting for the update.

DL'd Atomic, NFS and Real Racing

AJsAWiz
Apr 29, 2010, 08:57 AM
Yep

It slices and dices that bread with an extra sharp knife :)

master-ceo
Apr 29, 2010, 09:13 AM
Atomic Browser and Downloader is a Must have.

smooth app. my only gripe is that the arrows are on the bottom. :eek:

danpass
Apr 29, 2010, 09:33 AM
.............. Downloader
that is so cool. :D

this is why we need a dedicated iPad app forum. Otherwise gems like this just get lost

master-ceo
Apr 29, 2010, 09:36 AM
that is so cool. :D

this is why we need a dedicated iPad app forum. Otherwise gems like this just get lost

I soooo Agree. I was going to make a new thread to piss the mods off, but I'm already on thin ice. :D

mrdinh
Apr 29, 2010, 09:50 AM
it is a full web browser?...ie. with safari certain sites view thru the ipad as the mobile site...its very annoying...

thanks

Travisimo
Apr 29, 2010, 09:59 AM
Can someone just list a few reasons why this browser is a good alternative to Safari? What can it do that Safari can't?

- It still doesn't do flash, right?
- You can't set this as the "default" browser when you are using other apps, can you?

Thanks!

Julien
Apr 29, 2010, 10:00 AM
Will it sync with Xmarks? If not how do you import your bookmarks?

tacoshell
Apr 29, 2010, 10:07 AM
Does it still kill all your tabs if you exit then restart the program? Like if you click an APP link that then takes you out of the program and loads up the App Store? When you come back, will all your tabs be there, or just the last one you were at?

nando2323
Apr 29, 2010, 10:24 AM
Does it still kill all your tabs if you exit then restart the program? Like if you click an APP link that then takes you out of the program and loads up the App Store? When you come back, will all your tabs be there, or just the last one you were at?

Yes it does keep it as long as you set the settings to do so. I personally have it set to go to a blank page when I reopen. But you can have it open just a home page, a series of tabs or just whatever you had up when you last closed it. This browser is so much better then Safari it's not even funny.

Julien
Apr 29, 2010, 10:26 AM
Well went to the web site and try and find info about importing bookmarks. It says the following:

How do I import bookmarks?

Press the settings button and click import bookmarks. From here enter a password to create an account. Then go to http://atomicwebbrowser.com/import on your desktop computer and log in with the account information created from your iPhone.

When I hit Settings I can't find Import Bookmarks. What am I missing? Must you use an iPhone first and then it goes to your iPad? Why no iPad option?

nando2323
Apr 29, 2010, 10:28 AM
Can someone just list a few reasons why this browser is a good alternative to Safari? What can it do that Safari can't?

- It still doesn't do flash, right?
- You can't set this as the "default" browser when you are using other apps, can you?

Thanks!

-It's got tabs
-It's got a whole boat load of settings that you can customize to your own liking.
-It doesn't refresh every single time you open it.
-It has a built in Ad Blocker
-It has the ability to search pages
-It has a crap load of Search engines
-It has a full screen mode
-It has the ability to impersonate other browsers (IE, Firefox, etc...)
-You can set a home page

Do you want me to keep going?

HXGuy
Apr 29, 2010, 10:38 AM
Don't forget about gestures which Safari doesn't have, that for me is the #1 reason to use it vs Safari.

HXGuy
Apr 29, 2010, 10:40 AM
Just bought it and posting from it now! Few questions..

How did you guys set up instapaper? Can you "find" in a page, like cmd F.

Any settings that are switched off by default that i should enable? I already found adblock. And can i make it my default.

Thanks. Love this browser already.

Yes, I did set up Instapaper. It's the same procedure as setting it up in Safari.
Yes also to the Find in Page...you have to go to the search bar and select it instead of the Google search.

tripjammer
Apr 29, 2010, 11:29 AM
This is by far the best browser on the Ipad\Iphone\Itouch!

Get it! Its only $.99!!!

Totally awesome program!

tacoshell
Apr 29, 2010, 11:44 AM
Yes it does keep it as long as you set the settings to do so. I personally have it set to go to a blank page when I reopen. But you can have it open just a home page, a series of tabs or just whatever you had up when you last closed it. This browser is so much better then Safari it's not even funny.

Thanks! Will give it another go tonight after I update it.

Julien
Apr 29, 2010, 12:15 PM
-It's got tabs
-It's got a whole boat load of settings that you can customize to your own liking.
-It doesn't refresh every single time you open it.
-It has a built in Ad Blocker
-It has the ability to search pages
-It has a crap load of Search engines
-It has a full screen mode
-It has the ability to impersonate other browsers (IE, Firefox, etc...)
-You can set a home page

Do you want me to keep going?
Yes, how do you get bookmarks imported?

nando2323
Apr 29, 2010, 12:19 PM

Haven't tried it yet but there's an option for it. I went to it and it sounds pretty straight forward it gives you a pin number to go to this website where it will import from your browser on your computer then you can import it into AB. I didn't feel like going through the hassle since I only had like 10 bookmarks anyhow I just recreated them.

Julien
Apr 29, 2010, 12:43 PM
Got them. You can't import your Bookmarks in the Lite version.

MacRumorUser
Apr 29, 2010, 01:01 PM
The biggest benefit is that when you close the app it stops/ saves state.

Unlike Safari which runs in the background. Hence even though you have multiple tabs open, it doesn't effect performance when you close app, unlike safari where lots of windows open has led to some people reporting low memory errors when running a different app.

tdream
May 1, 2010, 11:19 AM
What are the differences between lite and full?

JayMysterio
May 1, 2010, 12:18 PM
+1. Great alternative!

gwynne
May 1, 2010, 12:19 PM
What are the differences between lite and full?

When you load the app for the second time, the first browswer window will contain a link. It says something like view full version features.

MikhailT
May 1, 2010, 01:15 PM
Did anybody start to notice Atomic freezing more often? I had to force quit it three times today.

I'm trying to figure out if it's because the WiFi issue or iPad is starting to crap out on me.

AtomicBrowser
May 1, 2010, 01:33 PM
Did anybody start to notice Atomic freezing more often? I had to force quit it three times today.

I'm trying to figure out if it's because the WiFi issue or iPad is starting to crap out on me.

Most of the freezes I fixed were reproducible meaning if you went back to the same site, it would happen again. I have another release which I'm testing out which should fix all freezing instances. Let me know if you encounter it on a specific site so I can test the fix.

gwynne
May 1, 2010, 01:36 PM
Most of the freezes I fixed were reproducible meaning if you went back to the same site, it would happen again. I have another release which I'm testing out which should fix all freezing instances. Let me know if you encounter it on a specific site so I can test the fix.

Hey, thanks for this awesome app!

Are you familiar with the browser occasionally forgetting that it is in text-edit mode while typing, for example, a forum post? Seem to be if I try to copy a piece of text from the same edit session. If you have no idea what I mean, let me know and I will try to write up a test case and pm you. Either way--very nice product, and I don't gush all that often. :)

traylorc
May 1, 2010, 01:50 PM
Is there anything better than a 99 cent app that exceeds your expectations? Except for being free of course...:D

Nonetheless I really like this browser and won't be using Safari anytime soon.

jackiegd
May 1, 2010, 01:57 PM
using it right now, i really like it. :) love the tabs!

ScubaCinci
May 1, 2010, 02:00 PM
using it right now, i really like it. :) love the tabs!

+1
I wish I could re-org my imported bookmarks

MikhailT
May 1, 2010, 02:05 PM

The most recent I remember was typing a reply via Macrumors. It just freezes getting inside the text field.

GoCubsGo
May 1, 2010, 02:10 PM
I'm falling more and more in love with Atomic Browser. Up and down swipe are useless to me half of the time this is due to Apple's pan zoom deal and I don't think AB can work around this but if she/he does then kudos. I will say that having the swipe to go back and forth is worth so much to me.

trsnrtr
May 1, 2010, 02:22 PM
+1
I wish I could re-org my imported bookmarks

You can move them to new folders and such but I haven't seen anyway to rearrange them like in a different order.

trsnrtr
May 1, 2010, 02:23 PM
I just installed AB yesterday and have been using it for all of my browsing. I like it. :)

dblake15
May 1, 2010, 02:26 PM
Can you set it as your default browser?

wombat888
May 1, 2010, 02:39 PM
You can put it in the dock, which I've done. Not sure about setting as default browser, I haven't tried yet. To the developer - thanks for making this. I bought the full version today and replaced Safari in the dock with it.

gwsat
May 1, 2010, 02:46 PM
The guy in the Apple Store who sold me my iPad touted me onto the Atomic Browser. I agree that it is better than Safari in most ways but nevertheless has weaknesses of its own. I love its tabs feature, which is why it has become my default browser. Still its inability to display bookmark bars on the currently displayed page strikes me as a significant weakness. I still use Safari occasionally in order to have ready access to its bookmarks menus. Fortunately, Atomic furnished a little utility for the Safari Bookmarks bar, which allows you to open the currently displayed Safari page in a new tab in Atomic. Handy. All in all, the Atomic Browser for iPad was a bargain at $.99. By the way, I just found and downloaded an update a few minutes ago.

spectre51
May 1, 2010, 03:14 PM
Just bought it. Loving this app so far. The load in background tab is my favorite feature. Wish MobileMe could sync it's bookmarks though.

spinedoc77
May 1, 2010, 04:08 PM
You guys are turning more and more like my motorcycle forums, everytime I log on someone posts something I spend money on. :eek:

Just downloaded it and going to check it out. I really think the ipad's safari browser sucks compared to a true PC browser and never understood why Apple didn't put all its developer weight into releasing a fully functional browser. Flash is one thing, but Apple hasn't caught up to the browsing experience on a laptop yet. From what you guys say this Atomic browser puts them a lot closer.

BergerFan
May 1, 2010, 04:37 PM
You guys are turning more and more like my motorcycle forums, everytime I log on someone posts something I spend money on. :eek:

Just downloaded it and going to check it out. I really think the ipad's safari browser sucks compared to a true PC browser and never understood why Apple didn't put all its developer weight into releasing a fully functional browser. Flash is one thing, but Apple hasn't caught up to the browsing experience on a laptop yet. From what you guys say this Atomic browser puts them a lot closer.Are you kidding? Scott Forstall tells you "iPad is the best way to surf the web", and you dont' believe him? :D

gwsat
May 1, 2010, 06:00 PM
Are you kidding? Scott Forstall tells you "iPad is the best way to surf the web", and you dont' believe him? :D
Yeah, Scott would say that, wouldn't he? Not only should we never trust salesmen, we should never trust senior VP's who are touting their own products, either.:)

AJsAWiz
May 1, 2010, 07:32 PM
Can you set it as your default browser?

I wish! Sent message via their web site. No response yet.

A developer? Yeah! Can Atomic Web be set as the default browser?

Go to settings and select import bookmarks. You'll find directions there.

Will it sync with Xmarks? If not how do you import your bookmarks?

Settings > Import bookmarks

aperry
May 1, 2010, 07:38 PM
Loving Atomic Browser but I'm having some issues with certain HTTPS sites. Does Atomic have trouble handling untrusted secure sites?

gwsat
May 1, 2010, 07:43 PM
I wish! Sent message via their web site. No response yet.
It is a shame that we can't make the Atomic Browser the default but the little utility Atomic makes available for the Safari bookmarks bar eases some of the pain. With it, you can move any Web page that has been opened in Safari by another app to Atomic with the press of one button. It's not perfect but it's not bad, either.

spinedoc77
May 1, 2010, 08:23 PM
Holy crap! This browser completely rocks, it's so far ahead of mobile safari it's not funny.

Julien
May 1, 2010, 08:28 PM
Would like to see Bookmarks remember where you are and not default back to the Bookmarks Home each time. It's aggravation having to navigate through the entire menu tree every time.

Zethca
May 1, 2010, 08:44 PM
Browsed most of the thread but didn't see anything about this:

When I search using the google box it repeats the texts vie entered in the actual google search field. This is very annoying. I find myself going to google.com to do searches lately. Anyone know what's up with this?

MrFuzz
May 1, 2010, 09:03 PM
You can move them to new folders and such but I haven't seen anyway to rearrange them like in a different order.

You can change the order of your bookmarks.

- click the bookmarks star
- hit the edit button
- click and drag on the 3 line area off to the right of the bookmark you'd like to move

M87
May 1, 2010, 09:25 PM
I gave into the peer pressure and bought it. It's a bargain for 99 cents. User agent switching is really handy for accessing certain streaming video sites :)

gwynne
May 1, 2010, 11:07 PM
It's funny that Opera got all the media coverage with their countdown to the iPhone app, while this one has stolen the show on iPad.

p-rice
May 1, 2010, 11:15 PM
Loving the browser so far.

My only complaints:
-Doesn't zoom in as much as Safari
-Youtube links don't open with the Youtube app
-Can't set it as a default browser. I guess this is Apples fault.

trsnrtr
May 2, 2010, 06:11 AM
You can change the order of your bookmarks.

- click the bookmarks star
- hit the edit button
- click and drag on the 3 line area off to the right of the bookmark you'd like to move

Thank you, very much. I figured there had to be a way. Greatly appreciated.

munckee
May 2, 2010, 10:31 AM
I grabbed it this morning after reading through the reviews here. Used it for n hour or so then walked away. Now it won't load a page. Just sits there spinning. :confused:

gwsat
May 2, 2010, 10:53 AM
I grabbed it this morning after reading through the reviews here. Used it for n hour or so then walked away. Now it won't load a page. Just sits there spinning. :confused:
What Web site caused the problem? I had the same problem in Safari when I tried to load ESPN. Safari just wouldn't swallow it, although, fortunately, Atomic handles ESPN well. Go figure.

aperry
May 2, 2010, 11:15 AM
What Web site caused the problem? I had the same problem in Safari when I tried to load ESPN. Safari just wouldn't swallow it, although, fortunately, Atomic handles ESPN well. Go figure.

I don't know what site he's having trouble with, but here's one that works in Safari but spins forever in Atomic. Try for yourself (it's my site):
http://shermantown.dyndns.org:6885/gui/

You should receive a login prompt but I get nothing in Atomic.

Here's another one that loads in Safari but not in Atomic.
Https://wiki.atg.com

I think Atomic has trouble with sites that use untrusted certificates (the ones that would prompt an accept/deny prompt in Safari).

macrobat
May 2, 2010, 12:16 PM
Love it now my new browser of choice. The only thing that bugs me no bookmark bar and you have to open bookmarks then go to imported bookmarks to get to them

Julien
May 2, 2010, 12:23 PM
Love it now my new browser of choice. The only thing that bugs me no bookmark bar and you have to open bookmarks then go to imported bookmarks to get to them

I emailed Atomic this morning asking to have the Bookmarks open where you left off. Please email them also and maybe we will git this minor annoyance fixed.

munckee
May 2, 2010, 12:34 PM

Every website. :(

kernkraft
May 2, 2010, 12:41 PM
Please, oh please!

Sliced bread is awful, it embodies everything that makes modern life crap. Sliced bread has all sorts of nasty additives, to start with; and they are put into awful plastic that makes bread disgusting.

Sliced bread is for people, who cannot see the real value of decent food.

As a saying - it's still poor. It kind of suits the UK, though...

Caris
May 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
As a saying - it's still poor. It kind of suits the UK, though...

Excuse me?

PsyD4Me
May 2, 2010, 12:48 PM
just tried it. Meh

No real reason to switch from Safari.

Too clunky for me

rspec7
May 2, 2010, 01:34 PM
I bought the app and tested Facebook chat on it while setting it to identify itself as desktop Safari.

Unlike mobile Safari, the chat bar does show up on the bottom of the page in atomic browser. Chat works too (updates in real time like my desktop browser), although it's a bit buggy.

The chat bar doesn't stay at the bottom when you scroll the page, there is no auto-correct, and the keyboard doesn't automatically hide when you click off the chat box.

emkwan
May 2, 2010, 01:42 PM

For google docs try OFFICE HD. a great software for the iPad wordpeocessing and spreadsheets in one. Half the cost of pages.

gwynne
May 2, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hint: change the color scheme in atomic settings to safari. Then you *really* start wishing you could set it as default browser. :)

After a few days, this has become my safari dock replacement. I am a nitpicke by nature, and any complaints I have are ones that have already been stated: not quite feeling like you have enough control and access with bookmarks. Wouldn't mind a bookmark bar. It also forgets it's in text edit/posting mode sometimes.

Otherwise, it just works. And the built in adblocking is hugely appreciated.

MikePA
May 2, 2010, 02:06 PM
Please, oh please!

Sliced bread is awful, it embodies everything that makes modern life crap. Sliced bread has all sorts of nasty additives, to start with; and they are put into awful plastic that makes bread disgusting.

Sliced bread is for people, who cannot see the real value of decent food.

Truly amazing what people will whine about. :rolleyes:

lokerd
May 2, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thank you for posting this recommendation! I use the Ipad as my primary computer now, and I love the tab features in Atomic. Saves lots of time!

Same here. I ignored my laptop for about a week...went to turn it on...and it was DEAD.

Anyway...glad to find this. I am only on the lite right now as I am looking to return my ipad wifi for a 3g HOPEFULLY this week.

This will be my first app to buy...seems like it is definitely worth the 99 cents.

Question is if I buy it now what happens when I get home with the new iPad...will i restore from the previous iPad backup? The computer where the original iTunes Sync is dead until I can get it to HP and back repaired.

gwsat
May 2, 2010, 02:47 PM
Truly amazing what people will whine about. :rolleyes:
True that! I like sliced bread. I also like rare beef, deep fired pastries, biscuits and gravy, real butter, and cream. Gasp! It's getting harder and harder to be politically correct.:)

astrorider
May 2, 2010, 03:25 PM

Its probably frozen...to force quit it open it and hold down the home button until it closes...usually takes about 10 sec or so. I've noticed this in atomic quite a bit when I have several tabs open. It freezes, then I quit it, reopen and nothing loads...then I have to force quit it to get it working again.

certsoft
May 2, 2010, 07:52 PM
You should receive a login prompt but I get nothing in Atomic.

I noticed that it just hangs when going to a web site that requires basic authentication. Maybe they thought no one would use that anymore?

harpy
May 2, 2010, 11:27 PM
I picked it up, I use tabs on the time on the desktop and it would be great to do it here.

That seemed to work well enough.

Problems I had:

Set to mimic firefox, it wouldn't load gmail (the real website and not mobile). It would just hang in the loading screen. Eventually I set it to mimic desktop Safari and then gmail finally loaded. However the page didn't function very well. The columns were all crammed together and I couldn't scroll down to see earlier message threads.

I was able to get gmail chaot to function just as it does on the desktop, which was great, but having the rest of the gmail website mangled kind of ruined that feature.

I checked on the googledocs that others hand mentioned. I could open a google doc, but there was no way to get a cursor onto the page and activate the keyboard to start editing your typical text type file.

I look forward to more development of the browser, but at least for me what is going to be the holy grail is a complete desktop experience of the whole google lineup of cloud computing, so if atomic or someone else could pull that off then I'd be quite happy.

astrorider
May 2, 2010, 11:32 PM
I picked it up, I use tabs on the time on the desktop and it would be great to do it here.

That seemed to work well enough.

Problems I had:

Set to mimic firefox, it wouldn't load gmail (the real website and not mobile). It would just hang in the loading screen. Eventually I set it to mimic desktop Safari and then gmail finally loaded. However the page didn't function very well. The columns were all crammed together and I couldn't scroll down to see earlier message threads.

I was able to get gmail chaot to function just as it does on the desktop, which was great, but having the rest of the gmail website mangled kind of ruined that feature.

I checked on the googledocs that others hand mentioned. I could open a google doc, but there was no way to get a cursor onto the page and activate the keyboard to start editing your typical text type file.

I look forward to more development of the browser, but at least for me what is going to be the holy grail is a complete desktop experience of the whole google lineup of cloud computing, so if atomic or someone else could pull that off then I'd be quite happy.

My understanding is that the browser is still basically Mobile Safari. The only thing changing your Identity will do is allow pages to load if the web designer forced a specific page because it detected you were using an iPhone/iPad, etc. Put another way, if Mobile Safari doesn't support a feature of Google Docs, identifying your browser as Firefox may not make a feature work.

From what I've seen, Google has been updating their software to function correctly in Mobile Safari. For example, a few weeks ago you couldn't edit Google spreadsheets in Mobile Safari / Atomic, now you can (at least if you don't change your Identify Browser As settings).

radioactive
May 2, 2010, 11:45 PM
I can't seem to find the ability to save passwords like mobile safari?

Also, two finger gestures don't seem to work, three makes it go into full screen, but no matter what I do, 2 finger is just kaput.

Otherwise it's great,

IrishTiger
May 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
I can't seem to find the ability to save passwords like mobile safari?

Also, two finger gestures don't seem to work, three makes it go into full screen, but no matter what I do, 2 finger is just kaput.

Otherwise it's great,

Make sure you're swiping long enough. They have to be pretty long. Otherwise go into settings and find the one that says "allow short swipes" or something. I find the two finger gestures work great.

Thanks to this thread - I've been using Atomic ever since I got my 3G. It's FANTASTIC. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tabs. That's my biggest pet peeve in Safari, and that's the entire reason I use Atomic. The adblocker is fantastic to. This is a great program. It's on my dock, and Safari is on my last page of apps. haha!

wombat888
May 3, 2010, 01:15 AM
So you guys get out the serrated knife every time you want a PB&J? If you do, you're part of a small minority. I buy Beefsteak seeded rye meself, or if I'm feeling wacky, Pepperidge Farms "everything" bread (like an everything bagel, but it's bread). What a weird conversation, let's find some more things that make most people's lives easier that we can look down on. Down with toasters, you should put the bread (which you've sliced yourself) in a pan with a long handle and hold it in the coals of your hearth.

munckee
May 3, 2010, 06:28 AM
Its probably frozen...to force quit it open it and hold down the home button until it closes...usually takes about 10 sec or so. I've noticed this in atomic quite a bit when I have several tabs open. It freezes, then I quit it, reopen and nothing loads...then I have to force quit it to get it working again.

Tried this a couple of times with no results. It never quits.

err404
May 3, 2010, 09:54 AM

I was having some pretty bad stability problems with Atomic. I removed and reinstalled it, now it's working much better.

tacoshell
May 3, 2010, 10:08 AM
Love that I can open in a background tab, but always having problems getting the popup window to trigger so I can select that. Seems to be a sensitivity issue, like not holding down long enough, or to hard or soft, but it gets annoying.

double329
May 3, 2010, 10:24 AM
First of all, I do like Atomic browser. But I have a question. Does anyone know how to configure it to accept the site with security certificate? I used it for work website which requires that. Safari is working. It prompt me to accept or denied the cert. AB didn't do anything, therefore, i could not access the site. Any help is appreciated.

ScubaCinci
May 3, 2010, 10:31 AM
Yes! I was thinking the same thing while using it this weekend.

I emailed Atomic this morning asking to have the Bookmarks open where you left off. Please email them also and maybe we will git this minor annoyance fixed.
Yeah, that is kind of annoying too when you are used to Safari. I un-nested a lot of my bookmark folders to minimize the impact of this missing feature.

There was something else that I thought of this weekend that would make it better but that thought escapes me this morning. :o

heathpitts
May 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrobat View Post
Yes! I was thinking the same thing while using it this weekend.

you can edit the bookmark folders to move them back into the root bookmarks folder.

RMXO
May 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe someone can help me. Is it possible to move your imported bookmarks out of the imported bookmarks folder?

call me lazy but I have to go through a bunch of folders to get to the link I want. I know I should re-save the ones I use a lot but I was hoping I didn't have to do that. I prefer to move all my bookmarks folders at once instead of individually.

MrDeeds
May 3, 2010, 01:07 PM
I'm having 1 issue with atomic browser. I'm not using private mode but it's no longer keeping my history.

Other than that its the best investment I've made since I purchased my iPad.

ScubaCinci
May 3, 2010, 01:29 PM
Maybe someone can help me. Is it possible to move your imported bookmarks out of the imported bookmarks folder?

call me lazy but I have to go through a bunch of folders to get to the link I want. I know I should re-save the ones I use a lot but I was hoping I didn't have to do that. I prefer to move all my bookmarks folders at once instead of individually.

Yes. Navigate to the links you want to move, hit the edit button, touch the link you want to move then under "location", change the folder to the destination folder of your choice.

aperry
May 3, 2010, 03:01 PM
First of all, I do like Atomic browser. But I have a question. Does anyone know how to configure it to accept the site with security certificate? I used it for work website which requires that. Safari is working. It prompt me to accept or denied the cert. AB didn't do anything, therefore, i could not access the site. Any help is appreciated.

That's the issue I'm having. It's literally the only thing keeping me from using this full time as my browser.

RMXO
May 3, 2010, 03:31 PM
Yes. Navigate to the links you want to move, hit the edit button, touch the link you want to move then under "location", change the folder to the destination folder of your choice.

Thank you!

pooryou
May 3, 2010, 07:15 PM

Thanks. Dev, please come up with a better UI for this because I never would have guess this.

fishepa
May 3, 2010, 07:18 PM
Love that I can open in a background tab, but always having problems getting the popup window to trigger so I can select that. Seems to be a sensitivity issue, like not holding down long enough, or to hard or soft, but it gets annoying.

That's weird, it seems to work every time for me. I just long press on the link and select open link in background tab.

patp
May 3, 2010, 07:43 PM
I'm having 1 issue with atomic browser. I'm not using private mode but it's no longer keeping my history.

Other than that its the best investment I've made since I purchased my iPad.

me too. at first it wasn't clearing the history when pressed the clear history button. deleted the app and then reinstalled.
Now after clearing the history once, it will now longer keep any history at all.

the developer says that the next upgrade he may address it. But i get the feeling like he isn't 100% on what is causing it.

greezychicken
May 4, 2010, 12:45 AM
Has anyone had any success with Atomic Browser and HTTPS sites? I don't seem to be able to get Outlook Web Access to work on it or any HTTPS sites that I have to use for work.

astrorider
May 4, 2010, 01:05 AM
Thanks. Dev, please come up with a better UI for this because I never would have guess this.

That's exactly the same method that the built-in Safari uses :confused:

satter
May 4, 2010, 07:11 AM
Has anyone had any success with Atomic Browser and HTTPS sites? I don't seem to be able to get Outlook Web Access to work on it or any HTTPS sites that I have to use for work.

FYI, I just try logging into the HTTPS OWA page here at work with Atomic, and I had no problems.

zvandiver
May 4, 2010, 09:35 AM

Try changing the browser identity in settings. My bank site didn't work until I changed the identity to mobile Safari-iPad.

M87
May 4, 2010, 04:27 PM
I don't know if this is a possibility, but I would love if you could choose to save a file in goodreader right from atomic.

Braaam
May 8, 2010, 08:51 AM
I replaced atomic for icab mobile last week and it's been great - great for power users. Icab's latest update fixes all quirks and adds a tab bar. Atomic's non conforming interface + unpolished functionality put me off.

Icab has a bookmark bar with support for folders and you can tweak almost all of it's features to your liking.

Enori
May 8, 2010, 08:57 AM
Same here. First I was using atomic, but after trying icab few weeks ago, I switched. Interface and reliablity are so much better. Combined with backgrounder it works like a dream.

LadyHoneyBabe
May 8, 2010, 09:48 AM
I'm really enjoying using this browser. :D

patp
May 8, 2010, 11:46 AM
you icab users, are you noticing a page redirect back to icabs website when you do google searches?

can anyone explain what is being done with the data, is it being saved on remote servers like opera?

HXGuy
May 8, 2010, 11:48 AM
Does iCab use gestures? If not, it's got nothing on Atomic.

GoCubsGo
May 8, 2010, 12:05 PM
you icab users, are you noticing a page redirect back to icabs website when you do google searches?

can anyone explain what is being done with the data, is it being saved on remote servers like opera?

I e-mailed the developer asking this same question, also asked in another thread. Opera Mini Browser certainly opened my eyes to how developers can store or not store our data. Atomic has clearly identified how they've managed to not function like Opera. If iCab is similar then it's worth the $1.99 purchase to try their browser and compare to Atomic.

wombat888
May 8, 2010, 12:07 PM
I just bought iCab, haven't tried it yet. I'll post in a day or two my impression of the three browsers (including Safari) compared with each other.

Edit: quick impressions based on a few minutes of use: it seems on par with Atomic in terms of features, including tabs. The controls and tabs are laid out in a way that seems more in line with iPad and Safari standards. One bug I noticed is that if I view a site in landscape, then switch to portrait, then back to landscape, sometimes it gets stuck at the portraid width. This results in a big black bar on the right side of the Web window when in landscape mode. Rotating back to portrait and landscape doesn't fix it. However, zooming in and then zooming back out does fix it.

I've encountered one bug with Atomic - one day it got "stuck" and wouldn't let me interact with it at all. If I launched it, it would show the last page I was on, but I couldn't change to a different page, I could only click Home to back out. Trying repeatedly still had the same issue. I didn't do a force quit, I just used Safari instead. Later in the day, Atomic was working normally again.

Those two bugs aside, I don't think there's a compelling reason to pick one over the other, they're both good.

lokerd
May 10, 2010, 04:29 AM
Those two bugs aside, I don't think there's a compelling reason to pick one over the other, they're both good.

Any more impressions? Anybody else?

I have been using AB Lite, just waiting to figure out what to do with my iPad before I buy any apps because of a dead iTunes host computer. AB seems pretty cool because they at least offer a trial LITE version.

Anyway, I do REALLY like AB, but do find two shortcomings an issue. One, not being able to zoom in as much. The other is a GUI issue with the back button down at the bottom of the page.

Mazda 3s
May 13, 2010, 08:06 PM
2.9 is out and it rocks! The UI looks much nicer now.

funkeruski
May 13, 2010, 08:11 PM
Just downloaded the update. Mine is very, very slow.

jgfink
May 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
My one annoyance with this app. When you zoom out more then the page width, you see the ugly checkerboard pattern only on the right hand side.

Anyone concur?

doug in albq
May 13, 2010, 08:51 PM
Issue with history is fixed. I can now delete history!

Like the subtle GUI tweaks...keep them coming.;)

jsbaugh
May 13, 2010, 09:38 PM
Love this App. If I could delete safari I would.

toonz
May 13, 2010, 11:06 PM
Mines doesn't even load now - just sits with a darkened screen with a lighter patch in the middle (don't know how to describe it) - then drops out of atomic browser.
might try uninstalling and re-installing the app

purell
May 14, 2010, 01:30 AM
If you zoom in to a website then reload that page it goes back to the original font size. It doesn't keep the zoomed in page when you reload like Safari. Any way around this?

stil
May 14, 2010, 03:59 AM
Mines doesn't even load now - just sits with a darkened screen with a lighter patch in the middle (don't know how to describe it) - then drops out of atomic browser.
might try uninstalling and re-installing the app

I had that problem too. I had to delete the app and re-install of course losing all my bookmarks in the process. :rolleyes:

I had been trying to change the start page to bookmarks when this happened to me.

imacdaddy
May 14, 2010, 04:56 AM
My one annoyance with this app. When you zoom out more then the page width, you see the ugly checkerboard pattern only on the right hand side.

Anyone concur?

I concur.

Battlestar
May 14, 2010, 10:57 AM

It would be great if it supported flash!

smotheredhope
May 16, 2010, 01:12 AM
I had that problem too. I had to delete the app and re-install of course losing all my bookmarks in the process. :rolleyes:

I had been trying to change the start page to bookmarks when this happened to me.

yup. same exact thing happened to me. but other than losing everything in my history and all my bookmarks because I had to reinstall it, this is a great app. lol

jalpert
May 16, 2010, 08:49 AM
Maybee I'm missing something, but a behavior in atomic browser is driving me crazy. When I close a tab, it moves backwards to your previous tab, is there any way to get it to move forward to your next tab when you close the current tab? When reading forums I usually open a bunch of tabs and I like to start with the first one I opened and read to the oldest. Thanks.

gwsat
May 16, 2010, 08:49 AM
I haven't had any crashes with my Atomic browser and think version 2.9 is a nice improvement. It seems to handle imported bookmarks better than earlier versions did.

Speaking of bookmarks, has anybody been able to add the currently open Web page as a bookmark without having to manually enter the URL? If anyone has figured out a way to do so, please let me in on the secret.

flipangle
May 16, 2010, 09:56 AM
The instability of Atomic is why I've uninstalled it and use iCab exclusively. Maybe I'll go back to it once they smooth things out.

kresh
May 16, 2010, 10:17 AM
I replaced atomic for icab mobile last week and it's been great - great for power users. Icab's latest update fixes all quirks and adds a tab bar. Atomic's non conforming interface + unpolished functionality put me off.

Icab has a bookmark bar with support for folders and you can tweak almost all of it's features to your liking.

I was not familiar with iCab before seeing it mentioned in this thread. All I can say is Wow. I thought I was impressed with Atomic, but after using iCab there is no doubt but that iCab is orders of magnitude better than Atomic!

Unlike some in this thread I am suspicious of, I am not affiliated with either one.

vijay007
May 16, 2010, 10:35 AM
If you zoom in to a website then reload that page it goes back to the original font size. It doesn't keep the zoomed in page when you reload like Safari. Any way around this?

This is one main reason I switched to iCab. iCab has a better UI and has never crashed compared to AB.

lokerd
May 16, 2010, 10:52 AM
This is one main reason I switched to iCab. iCab has a better UI and has never crashed compared to AB.

Ab keeps crapping out on me...especially when I go to 5 tabs...although I am still on the free version...so probably not fair trial. I am still trying out stuff..so no sense in paying for it and I don't want it two weels from now. There are reason to still like safari.

But about iCal...does it stay backgrounded better?

Also, hotmail defaulted to mobile version today. It has been perfect since apple mail doesn't work with a hoot with hotmail. Anybody else have the problem?

smotheredhope
May 16, 2010, 11:03 AM
Never had AB crash on me during use

Hammie
May 16, 2010, 12:43 PM
I'm still having issues when I try to respond to posts with quotes from another post. It will not let me do it. I get a grayed out box that will not let me add my text to the response.

Any one else seeing this?

doug in albq
May 16, 2010, 05:51 PM
(independently produced)...BROWSER WARS!:eek:;):cool::)

flipangle
May 16, 2010, 07:54 PM
I was not familiar with iCab before seeing it mentioned in this thread. All I can say is Wow. I thought I was impressed with Atomic, but after using iCab there is no doubt but that iCab is orders of magnitude better than Atomic!

Unlike some in this thread I am suspicious of, I am not affiliated with either one.

+1:)

smotheredhope
May 17, 2010, 12:07 AM
I have a request. I am becoming a big ever note user and ever note puts a thing in safari where you can just press the little arrow button and it gives an option to save the clip to ever note. Is there anyway we can get that integrated into atomic?

Smotheredhope@gmail.com

smotheredhope
May 17, 2010, 12:10 AM
I'm still having issues when I try to respond to posts with quotes from another post. It will not let me do it. I get a grayed out box that will not let me add my text to the response.

Any one else seeing this?

Actually yes I have now that I think about it. I normally just put click in another box (ie title) and then press next.

kresh
May 17, 2010, 01:21 AM
deleted: posted in wrong thread.

toonz
May 17, 2010, 06:44 PM

Yep - that's when it did it to me as well.

testcard
Jun 8, 2010, 03:14 PM

Yes, and it's really annoying.

JulianL
Jun 8, 2010, 03:50 PM

How do I see if this is happening on my setup?

- Julian

testcard
Jun 8, 2010, 03:56 PM
Open Google home page in iCab, enter a search term and then click a link.

JulianL
Jun 8, 2010, 04:08 PM
Open Google home page in iCab, enter a search term and then click a link.
I don't see anything to do with iCab redirection. I do get a redirection (presumably because some cookie is saved) in that I can't seem to get to google.com, if I type www.google.com then I get redirected to www.google.co.uk. From then on though all the links seem to go where I expect them to with no sign of any "icabs" hidden in the URLS.

- Julian

testcard
Jun 8, 2010, 04:30 PM
I have Google.co.uk as my homepage and can't get to Google.com - get redirected back to Google.co.UK. Here's what I get after clicking on a search page link:

*"The previous page is sending you to http://internal/iCabMobile_CallBack?openURLinTarget&url=http%3A//www.apple.com/uk/.

*If you do not want to visit that page, you can return to the previous page."

pooryou
Jun 8, 2010, 05:20 PM
I hope this browser can be updated soon, I'm getting a little fed up with the bugs.

BTW why is there an ongoing discussion of iCab in the Atomic Browser thread?
'There's a thread for that.' :D

raymond lin
Jun 8, 2010, 05:34 PM
Facebook wont load properly for me, I.e. It wont refresh, it'll jump to the mobile site at random.

When reopening the app, it reloads all the tabs from scratch, so it takes ages.

And it's slower than safari.

BeachChair
Jun 8, 2010, 05:43 PM
When reopening the app, it reloads all the tabs from scratch, so it takes ages.

You can turn that off.

My main issue with AtomicBrowser is it crashes too much, and when it does it doesn't remember the tabs next time you open it.

pooryou
Jun 10, 2010, 01:50 AM
Anyone else noticed that sometimes when you click on a link it goes to the wrong URL? Not every time, but often enough to be annoying. (When you can actually get it to click on a link, that is.)

debudebu
Jul 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
Reading the features it claims "themes" which I'm guessing are just the browser bars and stuff. Is it possible to change settings so that a web page will load with a dark background and a light txt color as default? Similar to night mode in instapaper. thanks!

Tinknock71
Jul 13, 2010, 05:05 PM
Downloaded the new update now cannot delete my history for web sites visited, anyone else with problems?

vw195
Jul 13, 2010, 06:06 PM
Downloaded the new update now cannot delete my history for web sites visited, anyone else with problems?

Heh. Yes i have same problem. I had this problem after last upgrade as well. Basically you can delete and re add atomic but then you lose bookmarks.

spinedoc77
Jul 13, 2010, 09:02 PM
Anyone notice when you turn off tab bars AND turn off bookmarks bar you still get a weird version of bookmarks bar with a transparent background, and you can't click on it. Seems like a bug.

spinedoc77
Jul 13, 2010, 09:26 PM
Anyone notice when you turn off tab bars AND turn off bookmarks bar you still get a weird version of bookmarks bar with a transparent background, and you can't click on it. Seems like a bug.

Never mind, I see today's update addresses this.

dragonwind
Aug 7, 2010, 07:24 AM
So far I like this brower. I wish there was a way to sync bookmarks with Mobile Me or have the import put my bookmarks bar in the bar.
Chris

MaxPower49
Aug 7, 2010, 08:59 PM
So far I like this brower. I wish there was a way to sync bookmarks with Mobile Me or have the import put my bookmarks bar in the bar.
Chris

You can specify a folder for the bookmarks bar in preferences. I wish it could sync bookmarks automatically too

TexDeuce
Mar 21, 2011, 10:41 PM
Is there a way to have the keyboard open immediately and automatically in the search tab as soon as you open a new tab? That makes it a lot easier and quicker to search.