Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulmateme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Glasgow
I am totally at my wits end having been awake all night trying to get my iphone registered and good to go for testing/writing apps.
it's almost like apple is creating a set of totally impossible hurdles for dev's to get through, it's f*cking impossible!
i've registered the udid, and followed the step by step instructions on the website and now i've downloaded my Development Certificate.
the instructions now say

"On your Mac, double-click the downloaded .cer file to launch Keychain Access and install your certificate."

and so, i do that...and this comes up in the keychain window

"The “System Roots” keychain cannot be modified.
To change whether a root certificate is trusted, open it in Keychain Access and modify its Trust Settings. New root certificates should be added to the login keychain for the current user, or to the System keychain if they are to be shared by all users of this machine."

i just opened it in keychain access like it asks me to do and it says "open it in Keychain Access"

i phoned tech support, no help.
i looked everywhere online, no help.

it's like apple are making it deliberately difficult to get started developing, and for someone who's wanting to get stuck in and make some apps, it's really off putting, i'm considering asking for a refund on the money i paid to become a dev and just forget the whole thing, it's a pain in the ass!

someone help! please!

johnking

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
I've just had the same problem. For some reason Keychain Access wants to add to the System Roots keychain if you double click on the certificate. The only way round I found was to drag and drop on to a specific keychain, so "System" for AppleWWDRCA.cer and "login" for my development certificate.

tuyennguyen

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Thank you

I've just had the same problem. For some reason Keychain Access wants to add to the System Roots keychain if you double click on the certificate. The only way round I found was to drag and drop on to a specific keychain, so "System" for AppleWWDRCA.cer and "login" for my development certificate.

Thank you for your post, now can have my certificate installed. :)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
it's almost like apple is creating a set of totally impossible hurdles for dev's to get through, it's ******** impossible!

It's certainly not impossible because there are over 48,000 developers with apps in the App store who must thus have figured it out.

It's Apple's IQ exam. You have to pass this test to develop apps. Figuring out which of their detailed instructions might be hidden, misleading, incomplete or obsolete is part of the puzzle.

Glad you figured it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.