Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Hello everyone,

I have a mac G4 and I was wondering if I could use a pci sata card that was made for a pc and use it in a mac (which costs around $20.00) instead of buying a sata card from OWC for $60.00+ dollars?

I'm a bit ignorant on these things, since I'm fairly new to mac computers, thanks in advance for your help!

MSX

mr1970

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Unfortunately not, you'll need to get a Sonnet (or similar) from OWC I'm afraid - I went through the same process about 18 months ago.

On the bright side, the Sonnet works brilliantly and my 2TB G4 has been churning away as our home media server ever since.

msx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Alright, that is what I was afraid of. Why is mac hardware so expensive??? I spent $200 on a nvidia 7800gs just because it was made for a mac! Ah well, I'm enjoying my mirror door and it does everything I need it to do for the moment.

Thanks for the information!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Alright, that is what I was afraid of. Why is mac hardware so expensive??? I spent $200 on a nvidia 7800gs just because it was made for a mac! Ah well, I'm enjoying my mirror door and it does everything I need it to do for the moment.

Thanks for the information!

It's more expensive because of a much lesser market demand. Pretty simple. If everyone owned a mac rather than a winblows box then the opposite would be true.

For a company to engineer, market and pay all the other costs needed to put a product out you have to try and make a profit. The mac market is about 20x smaller.. figure it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.