Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
What if apple made a video game console? What would it look like? What would be its specs? How would it interface? For those who have Photoshop or Illustrator (or any Graphics Program) post your best work up here. I wanna see what kind of creations people can come up with. Here I won't post a pic yet, but here's my idea:
Apple's - PowerStation G5
It offers Dual 1.5 GHz G5 processors
256MB of DDR333 RAM
20GB Hard Drive
and the Games are on Dual Layer DVD's.
Oh and its shaped like a Pyramid.
It comes with 4 ports for controllers, but can be expanded to 8 or 16 and those come with TV connectors so you don't have to use the same TV, but can use the same console. It would have Ethernet, and a Web Browser (just like Dreamcast). The Video Card supporter would be ATI, with 128MB VRAM Radeon 9000 or 9200 Architecture.

What do you guys think for a game system like that?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
slooksterPSV said:
What if apple made a video game console? What would it look like? What would be its specs? How would it interface? For those who have Photoshop or Illustrator (or any Graphics Program) post your best work up here. I wanna see what kind of creations people can come up with. Here I won't post a pic yet, but here's my idea:
Apple's - PowerStation G5
It offers Dual 1.5 GHz G5 processors
256MB of DDR333 RAM
20GB Hard Drive
and the Games are on Dual Layer DVD's.
Oh and its shaped like a Pyramid.
It comes with 4 ports for controllers, but can be expanded to 8 or 16 and those come with TV connectors so you don't have to use the same TV, but can use the same console. It would have Ethernet, and a Web Browser (just like Dreamcast). The Video Card supporter would be ATI, with 128MB VRAM Radeon 9000 or 9200 Architecture.

What do you guys think for a game system like that?
Apple did that several years ago.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
stealthy said:
The controllers would be bluetooth.

Think so? I think gaming generally shies away from bluetooth, since wires = better response time.

Of course, I love having everything wireless, so I'd be all over bluetooth controllers. :)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
<sarcasm>And just like the Mac, there'd be no games for it. </sarcasm>

Actually, though, I'm not so sure that it is a wise decision for Apple to go into the console market. It is already hard enough for the game devs to get multi-platform games out as it is. This would just thin the developers resources and then everyone would complain that their console's version isn't out and/or that it doesn't look as good as the XBox version (I use XBox cause it seems like its often used as the console benchmark)

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes

Attachments

• 3CUART.jpg
    3CUART.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 76
  • FRONT.jpg
    FRONT.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 76
  • CONTROL.jpg
    CONTROL.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 91
  • sideFRONT.jpg
    sideFRONT.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 79
  • sideBACK.jpg
    sideBACK.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 102

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
They better go out of the cube design as it would just remind people about the gamecube... at least the name, take the iMac G4 half-dome and let it be a G5 for a console... yes! and that "wireless firewire" for the controllers...

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I wish Apple would do this. It would look amazing, work perfectly, never have games skip or be unable to be read, and play every new game only 6 months to a year after they were released for the XBox.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
If Apple made a console it would lose as much money as Xbox, but Apple can't afford to lose that much money.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Chaszmyr said:
If Apple made a console it would lose as much money as Xbox, but Apple can't afford to lose that much money.

You took the fun of this thread off... We wanted to dream about one, like we used to about the dual processor 12" PB ... :eek:

:mad:

:p

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
OMG those pictures are awesome, even though they aren't original, the design of them is just perfect. I want either of those 2, those look awesome.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
slooksterPSV said:
OMG those pictures are awesome, even though they aren't original, the design of them is just perfect. I want either of those 2, those look awesome.

If you mean the half-cylinder and the cube... i hope you know there was a cube mac years ago... just in case :rolleyes:, you may get one of those for less than 800 bucks...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
What about the profits from titles?

Chaszmyr said:

True, but I think the console business isn't about the hardware but the sales on titles. It's like a coffee pot or color printer, they make money off the supplies.

The Apple Music store isn't about selling music, it's about selling iPods and possibly iMacs and Powerbooks.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Ja Di ksw said:
I wish Apple would do this. It would look amazing, work perfectly, never have games skip or be unable to be read, and play every new game only 6 months to a year after they were released for the XBox.

Good call

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.