PDA

View Full Version : DODOcase for iPad - just received mine

Pages : [1] 2

r6girl
Apr 29, 2010, 02:29 PM
I can't recall where I found out about this case at first (it might have been this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=860208) massive accessories thread that was started in early February) or maybe it was from someone on Twitter. At any rate, I ordered it on April 2 and it just arrived today.

These cases mimic the Moleskine notebooks and I wanted it because I thought it would be good "camouflage" for my iPad in public. Now that I have the case, it definitely succeeds at this in my book and I'm pleased with it so far.

The case has a hard cardboard cover and the exterior is black and interior is red. Aside from the red interior (the Moleskine notebooks I've had have had off-white interiors), it looks just like a Moleskine notebook. The iPad sits in a bamboo frame that's meant to be light yet sturdy. There are 4 foam inserts in the corner that hold the iPad in place.

My iPad fits into the case perfectly and all of the ports are accessible thanks to cut-outs in the bamboo frame. The case feels sturdy and I still think it was a little expensive at $49.95 though it is handmade in the U.S. and I had a 20% off coupon (which has expired and I don't know of any others to share, unfortunately), so I'm not displeased with the value overall.

Here are pictures of the case from the Dodocase Facebook page:

You can use the case as a stand, though in landscape orientation, it must be placed on a surface that provides enough friction so that the edge of the front cover won't slide out by itself. Standing it up in portrait mode is a little easier since you can just prop it up like an open book. Folding the cover over backward puts the iPad at a bit of an angle so that it's easier to type on while on your lap or a desk.

So far, my only durability concern has to do with the foam bits in the corners. I worry that they will compress over time and no longer hold the iPad in place well enough. However, I can't predict if/when that will happen since I lack expertise in foam longevity and durability. :D

(I have a first impressions video of this case up on my blog).

brn2ski00
Apr 29, 2010, 02:46 PM
Nice video and review!

Chris Rogers
Apr 29, 2010, 06:01 PM
My only durability concern revolves around the four foam pieces in each corner. These serve to hold the iPad in place and they could compress over time and fail to hold the iPad in securely enough. I won't hazard a guess at how long they'll hold up, but I'm not extremely worried about them now.

Nice review! Could you comment on these foam pieces after a few more days of use? I really didn't think I'd like this case, but I actually do after watching your review. Could you possibly add picture/video of the foam pieces and the iPad sliding in/out? How is typing on it in landscape mode placed on a flat surface?

$50 seems a little pricey for this too.

r6girl
Apr 30, 2010, 10:04 AM
Nice video and review!

Thanks! :)

Nice review! Could you comment on these foam pieces after a few more days of use? I really didn't think I'd like this case, but I actually do after watching your review. Could you possibly add picture/video of the foam pieces and the iPad sliding in/out? How is typing on it in landscape mode placed on a flat surface?

$50 seems a little pricey for this too.

Thanks! :) Sure, I'll definitely comment on how the foam pieces hold up after a few days. I did get a comment back from Dodocase on my concern about them and they said they will sell replacement foam pieces in the future:

With respect to the bumpers, we expect them to have a long life under normal use, but will also make replacement bumpers available in the future.

You actually kind of pop the iPad in, though pop is really too strong a word since there's no tactile feedback once it's fully inserted. Essentially, you just press it into the foam and it doesn't really make contact with the bamboo frame since the foam holds it away from the frame a bit.

I haven't done a lot of typing on it in landscape mode on a table yet but will try that out and let you know...

SoundMan
Apr 30, 2010, 10:07 AM
Where did you buy it from???

It seems all the cases at mygearstore for the IPAD are sold out

Damon Hill
Apr 30, 2010, 10:10 AM
Awesome. I just got finished placing my order. How long did it take to deliver?

tys
Apr 30, 2010, 10:18 AM
Mine came yesterday and it's really nice.
I do wish it was held more securely in the bamboo tray, but really unless you hold it upside down and shake it, it's not coming out. If you drop it while the flap is open, it would probably come out. I'm thinking of maybe adding some adhesive Velcro under the iPad for extra insurance.
$50 is a total bargain compared to all the crappy mass produced neoprene pouches that sell for the same price at the Apple store!

r6girl
Apr 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
Where did you buy it from???

It seems all the cases at mygearstore for the IPAD are sold out

You can only order it directly from DODOcase through their site at dodocase.com for the moment.

Awesome. I just got finished placing my order. How long did it take to deliver?

I ordered it April 2 and received it yesterday, so 27 days total. Their website says it takes 4 to 6 weeks to fulfill orders but it seems from their Facebook updates that they're starting to ramp up production so this could decrease in the near future.

Mine came yesterday and it's really nice.
I do wish it was held more securely in the bamboo tray, but really unless you hold it upside down and shake it, it's not coming out. If you drop it while the flap is open, it would probably come out. I'm thinking of maybe adding some adhesive Velcro under the iPad for extra insurance.
$50 is a total bargain compared to all the crappy mass produced neoprene pouches that sell for the same price at the Apple store!

Yeah, it can come out if you shake it but I haven't had it fall out during casual use at all yet. I could see adding strips of the foam they use (I think this can be purchased at any hardware store) to the sides or bottom of the frame's interior to help hold it in a bit more, but I don't see the need for this yet.

I agree - compared to some of the sloppy mass-produced cases I've seen, $50 is not bad for a hand-crafted item.

drew0020
May 3, 2010, 07:28 PM
has it scratched the back of your iPad? Thats my main concern.

steffi
May 3, 2010, 07:31 PM
What stops the ipad from falling out of it?

Chris Rogers
May 3, 2010, 11:25 PM
Reminds me of this case: http://longlivebooks.com/bookforipadmacbo.html

r6girl
May 4, 2010, 08:07 AM

Nope, not at all. The bamboo frames is positioned such that the iPad's back doesn't appear to make contact with the inside cover at all.

What stops the ipad from falling out of it?

The foam pieces in the corners hold the iPad in place, and they do a fairly decent job at it since the iPad won't fall out on its own – you need to shake it out or push down on one end to compress the foam pieces on the other end and tilt it out.

Reminds me of this case: http://longlivebooks.com/bookforipadmacbo.html

I also considered that case but decided that I wanted a case that I didn't have to remove the iPad from to use it. I've heard that TwelveSouth will be making an iPad version of this case (http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook/) but I opted for the DODOcase since it was available sooner (and I think TwelveSouth will use a zip closure with that case and I'm not really a fan of those).

CrAkD
May 4, 2010, 08:22 AM
How does the fold over position for typing compare to the apple case? That's my main concern as I don't care for the apple case that much but I use the typing position of it all the time.

MacToddB
May 4, 2010, 08:32 AM
I'm holding out for a 12 South version of their BookBook...

http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook/
http://www.twelvesouth.com/static/assets/products/product/main_left_image/productImage_bookbook.jpg

GoCubsGo
May 4, 2010, 08:37 AM
I saw this case yesterday. My only qualm is the fact that the rise is not high enough. There's only a slight rise basically from the binding. If it had a higher rise I'd be all over this case.

rogerh
May 4, 2010, 09:55 AM
Is it possible to prop on the iPad horizontally with the case flap or do you still have to get a stand?

edit:

nevermind watched the videos on the site..

making my order now :)

Piarco
May 4, 2010, 10:26 AM
Nice review... and now I'm even more sorely tempted by the DODOcase, even though I've bought a SGP Vintage Edition case (it goes well with a full grain leather bag from Spitalfields Market :D) and I'm planning on getting the SGP Ultra Slider when it's out... would love to justify having 3 cases, even harder to do when two of them are of similar design!

rogerh
May 5, 2010, 02:21 PM
To the original poster:

Do you think it would be possible to fit a iPad with a Switcheasy nude case on?

Paik4Life
May 5, 2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the review!

I kind of wish that I had known about the Dodocase earlier. I already placed an order with iKit for their Folio case. Which looks great and is made of genuine leather and sells for $40. Seen here: http://www.ikit.com/productdetails.php?UsedForURLFriendlyName=Mac&ProductURLFriendlyName=iPad_Leather_folio_Case

The problem I'm having with iKit is that they keep changing their shipping date for preorders. First they said the end of April, then yesterday they told me on Twitter the end of this week or early next week, and today I saw they updated their site to say that preorders won't ship until the third week of May. I'm waiting for a response from them, but if it is the third week of May, I'll cancel my order and order the Dodocase instead. At least these guys are keeping their customers up to date.

On the other hand, I woodwork as a hobby and am wondering if I could reproduce a Dodocase of my own with my own wood. Of course I don't know anything about book binding, but their video makes it look pretty simple and I'm sure I can find some book binding tutorial on the web.

~Paik

TheLee
May 5, 2010, 02:57 PM
How stable is it when you fold the cover back around for typing in landscape? Does it have a tendency to fall flat? If you fold the cover back around to hold it in your left hand in portrait mode, does the extra width from the binding make it harder to hold?

advan031
May 6, 2010, 01:14 AM
I just one today :p I guess I have to wait a few weeks huh?

0s and 1s
May 6, 2010, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the review!

peskaa
May 6, 2010, 08:03 AM
I ordered one two days ago, delivering to the UK. Shame that I'll have to use my iPad naked after the UK launch until the DODOcase turns up.

r6girl
May 6, 2010, 09:40 AM
I saw this case yesterday. My only qualm is the fact that the rise is not high enough. There's only a slight rise basically from the binding. If it had a higher rise I'd be all over this case.

While not as high as the Apple case, the rise is still decent and beats using the iPad without a case by far. I took a few very quick pics with my iPhone to show the difference between the two:

To the original poster:

Do you think it would be possible to fit a iPad with a Switcheasy nude case on?

No, I don't (and I've seen this case on iPhones in person before and understand how thin they are). First, there is very little clearance between the frame and the sides of the iPad. Also, forcing an iPad with even a thin case on it would most likely break in the foam pieces to a degree that would make the case unusable with a naked iPad (e.g. the foam will give so much that it won't hold a naked iPad in securely anymore).

Thanks for the review!

Glad you enjoyed it!

How stable is it when you fold the cover back around for typing in landscape? Does it have a tendency to fall flat? If you fold the cover back around to hold it in your left hand in portrait mode, does the extra width from the binding make it harder to hold?

It is very stable and never falls flat. It is far more stable than the Apple case since the DODOcase's cover is reinforced with thick cardboard. I always found the Apple case to be a bit wobbly because the cover isn't as stiff and has some give.

When folded and held in portrait mode, it's not too uncomfortable to hold. However, I find myself just holding it like a book (with the left side extended and held in my left hand) most of the time when I want to use it in portrait mode.

How does the fold over position for typing compare to the apple case? That's my main concern as I don't care for the apple case that much but I use the typing position of it all the time.

See the pics above. The Apple case does give it a better angle. I find the DODOcase to provide more protection and look a lot nicer, but that's just personal preference.

TheLee
May 7, 2010, 12:24 AM
It is very stable and never falls flat. It is far more stable than the Apple case since the DODOcase's cover is reinforced with thick cardboard. I always found the Apple case to be a bit wobbly because the cover isn't as stiff and has some give.

When folded and held in portrait mode, it's not too uncomfortable to hold. However, I find myself just holding it like a book (with the left side extended and held in my left hand) most of the time when I want to use it in portrait mode.

thanks for the response! i'm really torn between dodocase or the macally book stand. one last thing - when you mean you hold it like a book, do you mean like you have the whole thing opened and you're holding it from the bottom via the binding with your left hand? or do you mean the left side is pointing out to the right (so the ipad is on the left side and "upside down") and you're holding the ipad with your left hand that way?

Paik4Life
May 7, 2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the additional shots. I think I'm going to put in an order and just endure the long wait.

I canceled my iKit folio order because of constant delays and shipping promising. They even have a promotion for 10% off their iPad cases but wouldn't allow pre-orders to partake even though we've been waiting and lied to repeatedly only responding "You can't get a discount for your pre-ordered case but you can use it for your second iPad case order." Uh...why would I want a second case unless I had multiple iPads or wanted to gift one (why would I want to gift one before knowing the quality of it myself)?

It'll be hard to wait for the Dodocase, but all the reviews are pretty glowing all around so I'm taking the plunge.

~Paik

r6girl
May 7, 2010, 09:07 AM
thanks for the response! i'm really torn between dodocase or the macally book stand. one last thing - when you mean you hold it like a book, do you mean like you have the whole thing opened and you're holding it from the bottom via the binding with your left hand? or do you mean the left side is pointing out to the right (so the ipad is on the left side and "upside down") and you're holding the ipad with your left hand that way?

You're welcome! I meant that the case is open normally (iPad on the right) and I hold the left cover in my left hand and the right cover (iPad side) in my right hand. However, I paid a little more attention to how I hold it throughout the day yesterday and found that I do fold the left cover back around a lot and hold it like this with both hands when playing Words with Friends and I never think twice about the thickness of the cover's spine when doing this.

Thanks for the additional shots. I think I'm going to put in an order and just endure the long wait.

I canceled my iKit folio order because of constant delays and shipping promising. They even have a promotion for 10% off their iPad cases but wouldn't allow pre-orders to partake even though we've been waiting and lied to repeatedly only responding "You can't get a discount for your pre-ordered case but you can use it for your second iPad case order." Uh...why would I want a second case unless I had multiple iPads or wanted to gift one (why would I want to gift one before knowing the quality of it myself)?

It'll be hard to wait for the Dodocase, but all the reviews are pretty glowing all around so I'm taking the plunge.

~Paik

That looks like a nice case though it sucks that they gave you the run-around like that.

I have found one issue with the DODOcase. I have an older iPod cable that I have connected to the back of my Mac for syncing and charging all iPhones and iPods in the house and the plastic around the dock connector portion is thicker compared to the cord that comes with the iPad. In order to use that older cable, I need to pop the iPad out of the DODOcase a bit. It's a little annoying but not a deal breaker for me. If it bothers me a lot over time and I get brave enough, I might take a Dremel to the bamboo frame there and shave a little off to provide more clearance...

Thomas421
May 8, 2010, 05:55 AM
You can use the new slim iPhone cable for older iPods too?

So just swapping the cable in your Mac solves the issue a bit easier I think

PerfectCr
May 8, 2010, 08:00 AM
Great review! I placed my order Thursday after I read the TUAW and Engadget reviews. I use the iPad at work a lot too (corporate environment) and this case looks functional AND professional which is very nice plus.

r6girl
May 10, 2010, 08:14 AM
You can use the new slim iPhone cable for older iPods too?

So just swapping the cable in your Mac solves the issue a bit easier I think

True, though I have now found that even the slimmer connector of the cord that came with the DODOcase still requires me to lift it out a little in order to plug it in. So, my (only) two issues with the case are this and concern about the foam pieces.

Great review! I placed my order Thursday after I read the TUAW and Engadget reviews. I use the iPad at work a lot too (corporate environment) and this case looks functional AND professional which is very nice plus.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. I would definitely say that this case would be perfect in a corporate environment.

I have posted my final review of the DODOcase on my site.

bhsu21
May 10, 2010, 08:45 AM
Just ordered now. Now as Tom Petty said, "The waiting is the hardest part."

demstav
May 10, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hey guys, i have a question. Can we use the DODOcase with an SGP skin on the back of the iPad? Will it fit?
thanks

Chris Rogers
May 10, 2010, 12:44 PM
GREAT Follow up review :)

One suggestion. A pic of the Apple case closed next to the DoDoCase?

aswitcher
May 10, 2010, 11:32 PM
Can anyone say if the dodo fits inside the Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad or other variations of the Ristretto?

SteveWTW
May 11, 2010, 11:56 AM
Ordered mine yesterday. My order number is nearly 7000. Not a bad for turnover ($350,000) for a iPod case! I would imagine that they are desperately trying to work out how to expand quickly as well as thinking of new products.

arbitrage
May 11, 2010, 10:53 PM
Ordered yesterday and I'm 7149. iPad arrives May 28th, order says ships 4-6weeks. On another forum someone said even order #1500 hasn't received there case yet! It's going to be a long wait unless they are seriously upping their production. It all hand made and I do worry about a lapse in quality. But I have hope that they will continue to make these the right way.

ram8727
May 12, 2010, 12:10 AM
I really would like to try this case out, but the long wait would kill me. I doubt the 4-6 week timeframe is correct if there is a waiting list of 7,000+. Maybe once the wait dies down I'll order one.

PerfectCr
May 12, 2010, 09:50 AM
I am in the low 6000's but if they haven't even shipped 1500 how are they going to meet the 4 to 6 delivery timeline. I don't think thats possible without a serious ramp up in production.

TheLee
May 12, 2010, 11:03 AM
Can someone who has the dodocase let us know whether or not you can use the camera connection kit with the ipad still in it?

bindle
May 12, 2010, 11:10 AM
Wow, that's crazy. I only ordered just over a week ago & am in the mid 3000s. Looks like they've got plenty of exposure in the past week. Watching the handmade 'making of' video, it's hard to imagine them keeping up with this influx or orders. Hopefully the high quality I'm reading of is maintained.

peskaa
May 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
My order is number 2859, so hoping they'll get it sorted soon...

Mactagonist
May 12, 2010, 06:35 PM
Good review!

What do you think of the long term durability of the 'hinge' where the case folds?

DKatri
May 13, 2010, 02:43 AM
I really like the look of this case. Just wondering how durable it is. Could you thow it in a back pack with some folders and a notebook without worrying too much?

sikkinixx
May 13, 2010, 09:45 AM
Looks really cool. Problem with all these smaller brands of stuff is it's hard to see the product in person before deciding to drop $50 on them.

fotomatt1
May 13, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm #7186. Kinda bummed thinking I probably won't have this for several months. My iPad should be here by May 22. Not sure if I should cancel the dodocase, or just get something cheap in the interim.

Wildgift
May 13, 2010, 11:40 AM
Can anyone confirm that one can use one of the non-standard skinny ipad cables with this? I have a million that i ordered on ebay that work great, but are somewhat wider than the new, slim one that came with the ipad. My cat loves chewing these, so i buy them by the bucket.

I want to order this case, but want to be sure that i will be able to use my cable or the monoprice cable. thoughts?

thanks!

sikkinixx
May 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
Ugh.. was about to order this but $25 shipping here to Canada kind of kills it :( I'd probably be order 10,000 anyway :p

Wildgift
May 13, 2010, 04:59 PM
I decided to get one because it really is gorgeous. I'm no. 7875:eek:
Hope it's here by Hanukkah!

GoCubsGo
May 13, 2010, 05:01 PM
I really like the look of this case. Just wondering how durable it is. Could you thow it in a back pack with some folders and a notebook without worrying too much?

Yes "hard bound". Something I hate, and why I won't buy, is the rise is too low for comfortable viewing while on a lap or table.

DrIgg
May 13, 2010, 05:32 PM
Yes "hard bound". Something I hate, and why I won't buy, is the rise is too low for comfortable viewing while on a lap or table.

Maybe I'm wrong, but from r6girl's pics the rise of the spine is not much lower than Apple's cover. With the IPS screen, does the angle matter that much? Besides, it looks so f'n gorgeous.

(Full disclosure: I am Dodocase order #39XX) I'll follow up on this post later to either eat my words or confirm the awesomeness. ;)

mcfadyen
May 13, 2010, 07:31 PM
My order, 1663, shipped to me in Canada yesterday.
Looking forward to it!

A.

ArsDigitalis
May 13, 2010, 11:14 PM
Well then I'm not so far away. I'm in the # 24xx batch. Maybe I can expect it here (in Argentina) well before mid june.

Looking forward to it!

A.

tys
May 13, 2010, 11:19 PM
Can anyone confirm that one can use one of the non-standard skinny ipad cables with this? I have a million that i ordered on ebay that work great, but are somewhat wider than the new, slim one that came with the ipad. My cat loves chewing these, so i buy them by the bucket.

I want to order this case, but want to be sure that i will be able to use my cable or the monoprice cable. thoughts?

thanks!

I have to lift the bottom of the iPad out of the Dodocase ever so slightly in order to charge with the stock cable. I plan to whittle a bit of the bamboo off for a better fit when I have the time.

BTW, the case is great and worth the wait. I hope they do an iPhone version, too.

peskaa
May 14, 2010, 06:25 AM
Looking forward to it!

A.

So just over 1000 until mine...wonder how long that will take them?

mcfadyen
May 14, 2010, 01:04 PM
So just over 1000 until mine...wonder how long that will take them?

I ordered April 11th. It shipped May 12.

macpluslaptop
May 15, 2010, 09:29 AM
I'm 7xxx-something and they've already charged my debit card. I wonder how many people are in this operation. I can't imagine how they can ramp up production to get another 5,000 out in the next month, as promised. And taking the money before they can ship is not standard. They need investors.

ArsDigitalis
May 15, 2010, 04:23 PM
It's funny. Mi order is in the # 24xx and they did not charge yet my credit card (via PayPal).

I'm 7xxx-something and they've already charged my debit card. I wonder how many people are in this operation. I can't imagine how they can ramp up production to get another 5,000 out in the next month, as promised. And taking the money before they can ship is not standard. They need investors.

mcfadyen
May 15, 2010, 04:42 PM
It's funny. Mi order is in the # 24xx and they did not charge yet my credit card (via PayPal).

My CC was charged a few weeks before shipping. And I think they are no longer using pay pal. Id check with them about your order as they are now only using google checkout.

They are great at responding to email and tweet replies.

Hope that helps!

ArsDigitalis
May 15, 2010, 10:47 PM
My CC was charged a few weeks before shipping. And I think they are no longer using pay pal. Id check with them about your order as they are now only using google checkout.

They are great at responding to email and tweet replies.

Hope that helps!

Double checked. PayPal is still working for buying DODOcases.
And yes, they are fast answering emails

mcfadyen
May 16, 2010, 06:37 AM
Double checked. PayPal is still working foro DODOcases.
And yes, they aré fas answering emails
EA
www.arsdigitalis.com.ar

I'm glad they fixed the problem. Last week they stopped accepting pay pal orders. Perhaps this is why you werent charged yet Thanks for double checking.

DODOsays @squorch Not at this point. We will reach out to you if we continue to have problems with PayPal. Not to worry.
9 days ago*in reply to squorch

tbayrgs
May 16, 2010, 09:30 PM
Just ordered mine, #8450. Looks like probably not going to be meeting their 4-6 week delivey estimates but hey, one can hope.

r6girl
May 17, 2010, 09:22 AM
Good review!

What do you think of the long term durability of the 'hinge' where the case folds?

Thanks! Glad you liked it. :)

This could be an area of concern over time but I think it will be good for years. There are no signs of tearing or anything along these seams on my case and I fold it back a lot when using it.

Absolutely. It really feels like a solid hardcover book and I wouldn't worry about putting it in a backpack with other stuff. However, I'd still be careful and wouldn't throw the backpack around or drop it on hard floors willy nilly no matter what case an iPad is in.

thanks!

I have to lift the bottom of the iPad out of the Dodocase ever so slightly in order to charge with the stock cable. I plan to whittle a bit of the bamboo off for a better fit when I have the time.

BTW, the case is great and worth the wait. I hope they do an iPhone version, too.

Ditto what tys said. Even with the skinnier USB cable that comes with the iPad, I still have to lift it out a little to plug it in. It doesn't bother me too much but I can understand that this would be annoying enough to others to be a deal-breaker.

peskaa
May 17, 2010, 09:46 AM
Ditto what tys said. Even with the skinnier USB cable that comes with the iPad, I still have to lift it out a little to plug it in. It doesn't bother me too much but I can understand that this would be annoying enough to others to be a deal-breaker.

DODOcase have said they're tweaking the design to fix this issue, so I'd expect cases to not do this now. If you are having the problem, apparently the fix is to lightly sand the cut away a bit deeper.

DKatri
May 18, 2010, 09:42 AM
Just ordered mine through google checkout. Just waiting for an email from DODO to confirm (how long were you guys waiting?). I reckon I'll be somewhere in the 9k-10k range. The $25 international shipping is a bit annoying though.

Spansule
May 18, 2010, 09:44 AM
I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, so I'm still waiting. That being said, I've been a Moleskine fan for a long time, and I know from experience that the spines do frequently wear and split with use. Gaffers tape has come to the rescue in these instances, but I would hate to have to repair a fifty dollar iPad case in this fashion. How similar is the oilskin cover to the actual Moleskine? I think it would necessarily need to be more hardy than what Moleskine uses. Those notebooks are usually retired within six months or a year, but i would expect the Dodo to need to last longer.

Then again, the iPad will probably refresh in a year, and who knows if the form factor won't change and antiquate the case for early adopters like me.

tripjammer
May 18, 2010, 11:31 AM
I just ordered my Dodocase a few mins ago. I can't wait to check it out!

Even the Apple case is like back ordered for 3 to 4 weeks!!!

ArsDigitalis
May 18, 2010, 01:40 PM
Just saw this on their Facebook

"DODOcase PayPal Payment note - we 'authorize' your payment the day your order, but don't 'collect' until approximately day 29 which is the longest period PayPal will allow. We do this to collect closer to your actual ship date. Not to worry if your PayPal payment status says 'pending'. Also, you should expect only a single invoice from PayPal from us. If you get that, we have you in our system. Thanks."

This guys are constantly checking their account and comments everywhere.

JPizzzle
May 18, 2010, 03:16 PM
Hey all,
I emailed DODO about different things such as current ship times, confirmation of the connector issue being fixed, and wether the rubber will hold up over time with constant removing from case (I plan on using case to take it outside of the home, and dock it/use naked at home). I received this response:
JP,

Yes, the reported connector issue, have all been cleared up. No problem.

Shipping is 4-6 weeks from order date.

Rubber will degrade over time. We do have replacement bumpers available.

DODO

I wonder how the replacement bumpers would work, can the OP confirm how they are connected. Hope this helps, and sorry if i'm repeating known info. Thanks

thechungster
May 18, 2010, 04:26 PM
Question for the UK peeps.

For those who have this case or are going to get this case+know the answer, is there import duty when buying this case and how much is it? I know it's around £50 for the case+shipping and I'm wondering if I need any more.

iqwertyi
May 18, 2010, 09:29 PM
Rubber will degrade over time. We do have replacement bumpers available.

DODO

I wonder how the replacement bumpers would work, can the OP confirm how they are connected. Hope this helps, and sorry if i'm repeating known info. Thanks

This is good to know. I really like the design, but was worried about the bumpers getting worn out.
I'm also too impatient to wait, but I understand the long wait time.
Decisions, decisions...

peskaa
May 19, 2010, 02:54 AM
Question for the UK peeps.

For those who have this case or are going to get this case+know the answer, is there import duty when buying this case and how much is it? I know it's around £50 for the case+shipping and I'm wondering if I need any more.

Unknown, as my case hasn't shipped yet. However, I'd expect VAT at a minimum (£9.20 based on £52), £8.50 admin charge. So I'd expect roughly £20-25 charges, depending if they base it off the case cost or the case + shipping.

dyfine
May 20, 2010, 12:42 AM
I wish I had ordered mine when I first saw them. Instead I went for the macally bookstand which works ok but is too flimsy for me and definitely no where close to the Dodocase attractiveness.

Are there any coupons out there anymore for the Dodocase? Thanks.

ben12345
May 20, 2010, 11:33 PM
Does anyone know if you can return the case if you don't like it. I can't find anything on their webs site about return policy. Also I don't se any way to send them an email to ask the question.

GoCubsGo
May 20, 2010, 11:36 PM
I wish I had ordered mine when I first saw them. Instead I went for the macally bookstand which works ok but is too flimsy for me and definitely no where close to the Dodocase attractiveness.

Are there any coupons out there anymore for the Dodocase? Thanks.

Doubtful. They're a small company and frankly their great $50 case has likely racked in $200k to date. Of course the profit may be less but still. Small unknown companies don't normally have coupons.

DKatri
May 21, 2010, 02:48 AM
Unknown, as my case hasn't shipped yet. However, I'd expect VAT at a minimum (£9.20 based on £52), £8.50 admin charge. So I'd expect roughly £20-25 charges, depending if they base it off the case cost or the case + shipping.

I don't think they put VAT on the shipping charges aswell. When someone sends aomthing internationally they decalre the value and you pay any VAT only on that declared value

Does anyone know if you can return the case if you don't like it. I can't find anything on their webs site about return policy. Also I don't se any way to send them an email to ask the question.

You'd probably be better off selling it on. I'm sure someone would pay a few more bucks to avoid the wait times.

Also, there is an email address on their site if you look hard enough.
It's thenest@dodocase.com

JPizzzle
May 21, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hey all,
I just ordered my case last night, In case anyone was wondering what # they would be at, i'm # 9013!!! :eek:

niter
May 21, 2010, 11:04 AM
This seems to be the perfect case for me...but I am really worried about the falling out part. How easily could an iPad fall out from it?

KINetics
May 21, 2010, 12:19 PM
Hey all,
I just ordered my case last night, In case anyone was wondering what # they would be at, i'm # 9013!!! :eek:

Yeah I bought yesterday as well, #8949.

SteveWTW
May 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
I'm about to cancel my Dodocase and I have order number 6843. If anyone wants my order to jump the queue, pm me (I'm based near London in the UK). I intend to cancel the order on Sunday if I don't hear from anyone.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I ordered a Noreve (http://www.noreve.com/product/Housse_cuir_Apple_iPad_Tradition.html) case instead.

evilyankeefan
May 21, 2010, 02:54 PM
I knew I should have ordered mine weeks ago when I saw it. Kevin Rose just got his and reviewed it. It reminded me of it and I just ordered it. I'm sure there will be a little spike due to it.

w4rmk
May 21, 2010, 03:40 PM
I watched Kevin Rose's video review and having the cord just hanging off the back when the case is open is a terrible design!

http://kevinrose.com/

mcfadyen
May 21, 2010, 03:41 PM
This seems to be the perfect case for me...but I am really worried about the falling out part. How easily could an iPad fall out from it?

I just got mine today. I tried to take my ipad out to show my wifenthe nice "limited edition" touch that dodo case included and almost couldn't get the ipad out. Its very secure!

I love the case. Truly love it.

Phil Lee
May 21, 2010, 03:48 PM
I watched Kevin Rose's video review and having the cord just hanging off the back when the case is open is a terrible design!

http://kevinrose.com/

It hasn't affected Moleskines for the last 200 years.

mcfadyen
May 21, 2010, 03:54 PM
It hasn't affected Moleskines for the last 200 years.

LOL!

But you are right. And I just use the strap to wrap around the backside when it's fully open. Keeps it neat and out of the way and holds the case open at the same time.

ToutSuite
May 21, 2010, 05:14 PM
LOL!

But you are right. And I just use the strap to wrap around the backside when it's fully open. Keeps it neat and out of the way and holds the case open at the same time.
Do you mind posting what number you were, so those of us who have ordered and are still waiting might have some idea where they are?

Thanks!

mcfadyen
May 21, 2010, 05:33 PM
Do you mind posting what number you were, so those of us who have ordered and are still waiting might have some idea where they are?

Thanks!

Order number 1663, but case number 416 of 1000 for the "first edition" cases. I ordered on April 11th...arrived today (May, 21).

It is really worth the wait. I'm thrilled with the case, quality, and look of my ipad inside. Their customer service was incredible. Handmade products take time, but I was happy that I choose this case over the other ones out there.

nidserz
May 21, 2010, 08:35 PM
My friend just ordered one for me as a graduation gift. I am super excited However, since it has gone to her e-mail address I am not sure how I will track it.
She did it through Google Checkout and forwarded me the Google receipt/e-mail.
Does DODO e-mail you seperately? How do I find out my DODO order number?
Thanks, really excited but its going to be a long wait :(

Anticlockwork
May 22, 2010, 02:20 AM
I ordered my case in march and got it just over a month from when I ordered it. The case is very nice and absolutely worth the wait. My case is 389 of the first thousand. The fit and finish is amazing and it really does look like a big moleskin. My only issue with it is the inside cover. I wish they would have added some type of protective cloth or pad type material so the cover didn't close directly on top of the screen. I huge piece of the bumper material would be awesome. Kudos to dodo for a great product. The dodcase is 100% worth the price.

raymond lin
May 22, 2010, 07:21 AM
I ordered my case in march and got it just over a month from when I ordered it. The case is very nice and absolutely worth the wait. My case is 389 of the first thousand. The fit and finish is amazing and it really does look like a big moleskin. My only issue with it is the inside cover. I wish they would have added some type of protective cloth or pad type material so the cover didn't close directly on top of the screen. I huge piece of the bumper material would be awesome. Kudos to dodo for a great product. The dodcase is 100% worth the price.

ORder 389??

Mine is 76xx !!!! Ordered 13th May...I expect a LONG wait :(

peskaa
May 22, 2010, 07:53 AM
ORder 389??

Mine is 76xx !!!! Ordered 13th May...I expect a LONG wait :(

Apparently the Order Number doesn't correlate to actual production number. People with orders in the 1600s were reporting production numbers in the 200s.

nidserz
May 22, 2010, 09:15 AM
How do I know my order number? Thanks.

HazChem
May 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
I finally bit and purchased one this morning. This site has resulted in me spending too much already!!

I have the apple case which I am liking very much and will use that at home and use the Dodo case when I travel so as not to look so conspicuous!

My order number was 9388.

Paik4Life
May 22, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'm about to cancel my Dodocase and I have order number 6843. If anyone wants my order to jump the queue, pm me (I'm based near London in the UK). I intend to cancel the order on Sunday if I don't hear from anyone.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I ordered a Noreve (http://www.noreve.com/product/Housse_cuir_Apple_iPad_Tradition.html) case instead.

I would be interested except that I'm not in the UK. If you could somehow change the shipping to the US and get a partial refund on the shipping, I'd buy.

~Paik

EricJD
May 22, 2010, 01:32 PM
Just ordered mine. My order number is 9418.

DKatri
May 23, 2010, 08:06 AM
Emailed them to get my order no. and I'm #8651

quangdiggity
May 23, 2010, 11:10 AM
Straight from the Dodo’s mouth:

FYI - your order # does not equal the number of sold. The best way to track your order is ask yourself if you are 4-6 weeks from order date

source:
http://twitter.com/DODOsays/status/14562884265

neu
May 24, 2010, 09:51 AM
Received a canned reply. Did you have to email them again?

Emailed them to get my order no. and I'm #8651

nidserz
May 24, 2010, 10:16 AM

I did the same. I got the auto-reply and then they e-mailed me with my order no.

ernieUK
May 24, 2010, 01:11 PM

Hey Steve

Do you still have the DoDo case on order? If so I'll happily buy it off you! I'm just outside London so it'll be easy.

Cheers

jon

SteveWTW
May 24, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hey Steve

Do you still have the DoDo case on order? If so I'll happily buy it off you! I'm just outside London so it'll be easy.

Cheers

jon

Gone I'm afraid.

Kobra
May 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
A bit off topic, I know ...sorry.

That case looks really nice! I'd be very happy if you could post some pictures and a small review when you have it in your hands. I'm particularly interested in learning about how the flap is held in place when placed in to the "writing position".
:)

DKatri
May 24, 2010, 05:37 PM

Just wait a little, took them maybe an hour or so to reply.

Anticlockwork
May 24, 2010, 07:19 PM
As far as order number to case number. My order number was 1637. My case is 389. So presumably i was the 389th person to order the case but had an order number of 1637.

r6girl
May 25, 2010, 07:57 AM
Order number and case number are definitely not related (at least in any obvious way so far). My order number was 1008 and my case number was 72.

iPhone Chicago
May 26, 2010, 10:48 PM
I'm order 23xx and haven't gotten a shipping notice yet, but it should be in the next 2 weeks or so.

For everyone will HIGH order numbers I wouldn't worry too much...as said in earlier posts, if you have order 9000 than that is NOT the 9000th DODOcase that has to be made and delivered. I 'think' (just a guess) that each time you click "BUY" on their website it assigns you an order number, and then if you don't buy it and exit the site, than that's a dead order number...hence why (per their facebook page) Order #2034 was just delivered with the signed card saying 752/1000.

rogerh
May 27, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hope to get my Dodocase soon!

Ordered May 4th, Order #4231... I hope the increased production hasn't effected the quality control too much :(

Essjay
May 27, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hope to get my Dodocase soon!

Ordered May 4th, Order #4231... I hope the increased production hasn't effected the quality control too much :(

I ordered May 3rd and I have order number 2939. Hoping for a delivery before June 10th.

iqwertyi
May 28, 2010, 11:46 AM
Ugh! Mine feels like so far away.
I'm in the 9000+ range. Ordered sometime last week.

planemechanic
May 29, 2010, 04:45 PM

I don't know about a return, but I emailed them about some concerns about the case and they were quick to agree to send me a replacement case. Still waiting for it, they want to inspect the old case for design flaws and future improvements. Two thumbs uop to them for their customer service.

Order number and case number are definitely not related (at least in any obvious way so far). My order number was 1008 and my case number was 72.

Wow, my case was #74. I thought I was the lowest after reading all those high numbers, but I ordered my case a long time ago.

AC Rempt
May 30, 2010, 02:05 AM
Even though it's a bit expensive, I ordered one. I love the handmade quality, and the style is perfect. I almost bought an inCase leather case for $60, and that doesn't seem nearly as cool as this case.

Let the wait begin, and thanks to r6girl for the information and review.

Chatelaine
Jun 1, 2010, 09:05 AM
#11504! ugh...

DrIgg
Jun 1, 2010, 12:33 PM
FYI for all those wondering about lead times: my CC was just charged, which means that I should be getting a shipping confirmation soon. I ordered May 4 (order 39XX), so they are keeping the 4-6 wk schedule. :)

ArsDigitalis
Jun 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
FYI for all those wondering about lead times: my CC was just charged, which means that I should be getting a shipping confirmation soon. I ordered May 4 (order 39XX), so they are keeping the 4-6 wk schedule. :)

Mine was charged last Saturday and my order was placed on May 1. Still no shipping confirmation but most probably well before next June10 the DODO will be flying down here.

Anticlockwork
Jun 1, 2010, 04:49 PM
As far as i know paypal has a policy that all charges have to be completed with in 21 days. So dodocase will charge your card 21 days from when it was ordered.

ArsDigitalis
Jun 1, 2010, 04:55 PM
As far as i know paypal has a policy that all charges have to be completed with in 21 days. So dodocase will charge your card 21 days from when it was ordered.

Don't know about their policy but the fact is that I placed my order on May 1st and they completed the transaction on May 29. If you are speaking about working days then that's the case but really don't know exactly.
Somewhere here or on the DODOcase Facebook somebody said something about a month.
Anyway in few days I'll have a surprise (receiving the shipping confirmation plus USPS tracking number)

AC Rempt
Jun 1, 2010, 05:56 PM
Here's what they say about PayPal on their Facebook page:

"PayPal Payment note - we 'authorize' your payment the day your order, but don't 'collect' until approximately day 29 which is the longest period PayPal will allow. We do this to collect closer to your actual ship date. Not to worry if your PayPal payment status says 'pending'. Also, you should expect only a single invoice from PayPal from us. If you get that, we have you in our system. Thanks."

ArsDigitalis
Jun 2, 2010, 05:39 PM
Just received the shipping email for my DODOcase ordered on May 1 (24xx)

DrIgg
Jun 2, 2010, 06:50 PM
Just received the shipping email for my DODOcase ordered on May 1 (24xx)

Did you receive a shipping notification? I was billed Monday but no ship date yet.

Essjay
Jun 3, 2010, 02:04 PM
Just got my case. Ordered on May 4th, delivered on the 3rd of June. Loving it so far!

rogerh
Jun 3, 2010, 02:55 PM
Just got my case. Ordered on May 4th, delivered on the 3rd of June. Loving it so far!

I ordered on the same date and have not got a shipping notice.. My paypal account was charged though :/

Run23
Jun 3, 2010, 04:00 PM

Cool. Ordered mine May 5 so it should be here soon.

conshok26
Jun 3, 2010, 08:59 PM
I ordered mine on may 5th too. I just checked pay pal and the authorization expired. I emailed them. I hope I'm not put at the end of the line.

SuX0rz
Jun 3, 2010, 11:59 PM
Just ordered mine. I know I got a while to wait but I think it is well worth it. I haven't seen a case that comes close to this one.

peskaa
Jun 4, 2010, 01:59 AM
Order 2859 has left the nest!

jzeddy
Jun 4, 2010, 03:37 PM
Ok, just ordered mine. Order #12252. Yes, I know, I know. But it gives me something to look forward to, right?......

raymond lin
Jun 6, 2010, 07:00 PM
I am into my 4th week of waiting now.

Will I get a dispatch email from them or does the case just turn up one day?

IAmMeIAm
Jun 7, 2010, 07:22 PM
I am into my 4th week of waiting now.

Will I get a dispatch email from them or does the case just turn up one day?

I just moments ago got a shipping notification. It looks like they're auto-generated by the application they use to print their mailing labels (endicia); it includes a tracking number and link.

FWIW, I was order # 3355, placed at about 7:30PM on May 3rd. Five weeks between order and shipment.

raymond lin
Jun 7, 2010, 07:26 PM
I just moments ago got a shipping notification. It looks like they're auto-generated by the application they use to print their mailing labels (endicia); it includes a tracking number and link.

FWIW, I was order # 3355, placed at about 7:30PM on May 3rd. Five weeks between order and shipment.

I ordered on the 13th, looks like i got at least 2 more weeks to wait then !

advan031
Jun 7, 2010, 08:11 PM
Ordered on May 5th...Order # 5806

I got the shipping notification today:D

PerfectCr
Jun 7, 2010, 08:19 PM
Ordered on May 5th...Order # 5806

I got the shipping notification today:D

They just charged me for 60xx so should be soon!!

rogerh
Jun 7, 2010, 09:25 PM
Ordered May 4th.. still no shipping notification :mad:

TXCraig
Jun 7, 2010, 10:14 PM
I saw Kevin Rose demo this item. Looks interesting BUT for 50.00 it should be LEATHER on the outside and not a man made plastic material!

Just my 2 cents

vsedey
Jun 7, 2010, 11:49 PM
what case number are you guys receiving for the people who just received their cases? THANKS!!!

aberrero
Jun 8, 2010, 02:37 AM
any update on a coupon?

iPhoneCommuter
Jun 8, 2010, 06:49 AM
Mine was ordered 4th May, order #43xx, still no shipping notification :(

Mine's being shipped to the UK. Perhaps they are doing international ones manually which is taking longer?

DrIgg
Jun 8, 2010, 11:44 AM
Mine was ordered 4th May, order #43xx, still no shipping notification :(

Mine's being shipped to the UK. Perhaps they are doing international ones manually which is taking longer?

I don't know about that. I am 39xx ordered the same day for US shipping and no notification yet either. Since Dodocase is a small company making these by hand, I am giving them a break (for another week anyway).

macpluslaptop
Jun 8, 2010, 01:20 PM
I ordered mine on May 10th and my card got charged today. No notice yet.

DrIgg
Jun 9, 2010, 08:06 PM
I don't know about that. I am 39xx ordered the same day for US shipping and no notification yet either. Since Dodocase is a small company making these by hand, I am giving them a break (for another week anyway).

Just got my shipping statement! :D

ArsDigitalis
Jun 9, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hi, I'm from Argentina. I ordered and four weeks and a bit more they shipped. Does anyone know how long takes the delivery (USPS)?
Thanks.

DrIgg
Jun 9, 2010, 09:47 PM
Hi, I'm from Argentina. I ordered and four weeks and a bit more they shipped. Does anyone know how long takes the delivery (USPS)?
Thanks.

I didn't know that the US Postal Service delivered to Argentina.

ArsDigitalis
Jun 9, 2010, 09:50 PM
I didn't know that the US Postal Service delivered to Argentina.

They do international (and they've been doing international shipments since the very beginning).
DODOcase ships here without a tracking number and that's why I'm asking.

DrIgg
Jun 9, 2010, 10:04 PM
They do international (and they've been doing international shipments since the very beginning).
DODOcase ships here without a tracking number and that's why I'm asking.

Okay, pardon my American ignorance. Mine shipped today as well. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

macpluslaptop
Jun 9, 2010, 10:33 PM
So yesterday they took the money out of my account but still no shipping notice. :confused:

:rolleyes::mad::p:(

iPhoneCommuter
Jun 10, 2010, 02:47 AM
Just got my shipping statement! :D

Still nothing for mine destined for the UK. I'm also keen to give them a bit of a break as a small company, but another few days and its going to start feeling like discrimination :)

rogerh
Jun 10, 2010, 02:41 PM
Mine finally shipped today!

raymond lin
Jun 10, 2010, 04:25 PM
Mine finally shipped today!

4th and shipped today? It looks like i got another 9 days wait !

It's been 4 weeks now, to the day.

ToutSuite
Jun 10, 2010, 05:14 PM
4th and shipped today? It looks like i got another 9 days wait !

It's been 4 weeks now, to the day.

On Facebook, Dodo are saying they had a huge number of orders on May 4th for some reason and are trying to get through those. Once they get past those orders, they're saying subsequent order dates should be much faster. I'm May 13th as well...

JonMPLS
Jun 10, 2010, 06:57 PM
. . . how do those of you who have received the case like it??

Just checked, and my CC was charged today. Ordered May 11.

Mactagonist
Jun 10, 2010, 09:28 PM
On Facebook, Dodo are saying they had a huge number of orders on May 4th for some reason and are trying to get through those. Once they get past those orders, they're saying subsequent order dates should be much faster. I'm May 13th as well...

I'm also the 13th. Here's hoping!

bindle
Jun 11, 2010, 12:45 AM
Just passed through week 5 of waiting. Payment went through about 11 days ago. Hopefully shipped soon :o

DrIgg
Jun 11, 2010, 06:50 PM
. . . how do those of you who have received the case like it??

Just checked, and my CC was charged today. Ordered May 11.

Got it this afternoon, and loving it. It just feels good, like you can tell that it was made by hand and not stamped out of plastic by a machine. I don't really know how to describe it. For those that appreciate this, it is definitely worth the wait.

rogerh
Jun 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
Wow.. uhhh I just got my dodocase. fast shipping, surprised to get it on a Saturday.

It did not come with a "library card" which the order # that I've seen in the other reviews.

One of the corners of the foam was not all the way in... i kinda just pushed it back in the corner... :rolleyes:

I can see imperfections in the bamboo.. particularly in the corners. small chips missing.. kinda flakey out..? On their facebook page they said the latest batch were like the best build quality? anyway, maybe I expect too much. :) i guess it's not a big deal..

it was actually kinda hard to get the ipad in.. i could snap two corners in but the other side i was kinda worried in breaking the bamboo frame..

i just pushed my ipad towards the corners that were already in, while pushing the open corners down in with my other hand. the video review done by macgirl made it look so easy..

anyway.. overall i am happy with it so far even tho i've had it for 5 minutes. no problems with the port.. iPad dock connection is fine.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4694320656_3fa61e718a_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4693685747_332a4cf8b7_b.jpg]

bindle
Jun 15, 2010, 09:58 PM
My dodocase arrived a few days ago. I was surprised as I never received shipping notification, but it's awesome. Shipping time to Australia was only 4 days. As some mentioned, it wasn't packed as securely as one would have liked (inside a piece of cardboard inside a USPS envelope), but luckily there was no shipping damage. Everyone who sees it loves it. Definitely the case I'm sticking with!

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4025/dodocase1.jpg
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9747/dodocase2.jpg

Rvn
Jun 16, 2010, 07:06 AM
hi

Have any of you owners of the dodocase had any issues with the iPad falling out?
or is it just the greatest case?
Realy think it looks great but it has gor to be good in everyday use.

Thanks

bindle
Jun 16, 2010, 07:34 AM
I haven't had any problems with that yet (it still feels very tight), but I could see the little foam paddings getting weaker over time with continuous taking the iPad in/out of it. I haven't needed to take it out of the case yet. If dodocase offer replacement foam, I'll pick up a few. Time will also tell how the bamboo holds up.

Probably not the best case for drop protection though. If you drop it on something solid when it's open - I'm sure it'd pop out. But for my own intentions of carrying it around inconspicuously & using it in stationary situations, I think it's great. It handles the chaos of my backpack well.

JonMPLS
Jun 16, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the extra photos. Waiting patiently (yeah, right). May 11 order . . .

iqwertyi
Jun 16, 2010, 11:36 AM
on my 4th week.
My dodocase may be arriving with my new iPhone next week.
One can hope. :)

Rvn
Jun 16, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hmmm just saw a couple of youtube videos showing that the iPad slips out of the bamboocase rather easy.

Guess the foam things that hold the iPad will wear in.

To bad, it looks so damn nice.

macpluslaptop
Jun 17, 2010, 07:37 AM
They've hit the 6 week mark with my order and still nothing. They took my $$$ last week. This case had better be exceptional, because my Apple case has worked wonderfully. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can't be closed completely.

PacMookBro
Jun 17, 2010, 11:01 AM
Watch this (if you haven't already):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HzDsZoLdE

What is the point of having a case that does not do its basic job? Unfortunately DODOcase has a serious flaw that needs to be addressed already! It is not worth the wait. :(

I love the idea and the look though... :o

BigCatz
Jun 17, 2010, 09:29 PM
The video of the iPad falling out is certainly an argument in favor of corner straps versus anything that depends on friction. But straps I think detract from the appearance. And if a strap wears out then what?

I am still looking for the perfect case. :(

Anticlockwork
Jun 17, 2010, 11:08 PM
The only way the corners are going to get to the point of falling out all of the time is if you take the ipad out all the time. No point in taking the ipad out seance it opens like a book. Ive had my dodo case for quite a while and the corner pads are as strong as they were when i got it.

Outrigger
Jun 18, 2010, 08:30 AM
Just placed an order for it yesterday, so I'm expecting it'll come by end of Jul. Been going back and forth between the dodocase and the ecovue from marware. It was a tough decision since they both offer similar protection, but the rave reviews for the dodocase and its old school hard cover book design won me over. we'll see how it really is when I get it. Just got my ipad last night, couldn't be happier.

ArsDigitalis
Jun 18, 2010, 08:35 AM
Just received my DODO. Ordered (# 2452) on the first day of May, shipped on June 2.
The library card is inside but with no case number. I thought they were all numbered.
Anyway the big point is that the case is awsome. The iPad fit tight but looks Ok in there.
It's the right choice.
Forgot to say, I live in Argentina (16 days to arrive here).

JPizzzle
Jun 18, 2010, 12:52 PM
im around order number 9015 and ordered on may21. Still no shipping :(

PerfectCr
Jun 18, 2010, 12:56 PM
order 60xx from May 6 just arrived! Very nice case really like it. A little heavy but overall happy.

ckorhonen
Jun 18, 2010, 01:07 PM
Order #9200, credit card was just charged

iqwertyi
Jun 18, 2010, 01:33 PM
OMG, OMG, OMG...
My credit card was also charged today. :D
9200+

Outrigger
Jun 18, 2010, 01:46 PM
damn, forgot to add my order # is 14,509... :(

JPizzzle
Jun 18, 2010, 02:24 PM
Looks like I was charged as well. Order # 9015

bindle
Jun 18, 2010, 03:34 PM
Their twitter says they're "shipping into May 8th orders" today

ToutSuite
Jun 18, 2010, 04:10 PM
Their twitter says they're "shipping into May 8th orders" today
That's a little dated, actually. There's at least one post on their Facebook page of someone with a May 9th order receiving shipping notification today. As promised, they're picking up steam now that they're past the May 4th/5th orders.

PerfectCr
Jun 19, 2010, 07:18 AM
......annnnnnnd the rubber corners are ALREADY degraded after one day. Now the ipad falls out by simply holding the DodoCade upside down. Unacceptable. I think I am just going to sell it. I don't want to deal with trying to get new rubber corners. Nice case, nice idea, poor execution. I only took the ipad out once. Disappointing.

Amyone want to buy mine? PM me. I'll let it got for $45 plus shipping.

peapody
Jun 19, 2010, 07:26 AM
......annnnnnnd the rubber corners are ALREADY degraded after one day. Now the ipad falls out by simply holding the DodoCade upside down. Unacceptable. I think I am just going to sell it. I don't want to deal with trying to get new rubber corners. Nice case, nice idea, poor execution. I only took the ipad out once. Disappointing.

I'll take it.

I'll fix it somehow. Shot you a pm!

PerfectCr
Jun 19, 2010, 08:05 AM
I'll take it.

I'll fix it somehow. Shot you a pm!

Just responded!

takufu01
Jun 19, 2010, 09:13 AM
I would shot them an email or hit them up on facebook....being a small company I think they would want to know what the problem was...just my thought....they seem to be very customer oriented

peapody
Jun 19, 2010, 09:19 AM
I would shot them an email or hit them up on facebook....being a small company I think they would want to know what the problem was...just my thought....they seem to be very customer oriented

I don't know about that. They seem very busy in producing people's cases since they are backordered for 4-6 weeks. And the solution would be a redesign, not a quick fix. I just paid perfectcr, so I am going to try my hand in making some modifications to the case myself.

PerfectCr
Jun 19, 2010, 09:58 AM
I don't know about that. They seem very busy in producing people's cases since they are backordered for 4-6 weeks. And the solution would be a redesign, not a quick fix. I just paid perfectcr, so I am going to try my hand in making some modifications to the case myself.
I love the idea and think with further refinements it could be a perfect case, just not now.

Seamaster
Jun 19, 2010, 06:16 PM
I love the idea and think with further refinements it could be a perfect case, just not now.

Agreed. I'm very happy to let all these early-adopters iron out the problems with the prototype before the finished article goes into production.

jlans
Jun 19, 2010, 06:24 PM
Well I just couldn't wait on my order numbered 9K and something so I bought one off eBay at 100 Bucks. Got it today and it is beautiful, number 717/1000. But it is so warped that my iPad is so far from fitting I don't even think I could glue it into place.. I would have to believe this might be a bigger problem then we see on this forum. Of course its a no return to the eBay Seller. I have no clue how to contact DODO as their contact info looks like Twitter and Facebook stuff that I don't follow. Even the little black foam corners are already showing wear from trying to get it to stay in place. Disappointed big time! The ruler in the picture slides in and out freely.

jlans
Jun 19, 2010, 06:34 PM

Good Luck Fixing it, why wouldn't you just return it for all your money back?

peapody
Jun 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
Well I just couldn't wait on my order numbered 9K and something so I bought one off eBay at 100 Bucks. Got it today and it is beautiful, number 717/1000. But it is so warped that my iPad is so far from fitting I don't even think I could glue it into place.. I would have to believe this might be a bigger problem then we see on this forum. Of course its a no return to the eBay Seller. I have no clue how to contact DODO as their contact info looks like Twitter and Facebook stuff that I don't follow. Even the little black foam corners are already showing wear from trying to get it to stay in place. Disappointed big time! The ruler in the picture slides in and out freely.

It looks like your case experienced some bad heat and cold to make it warp like that.

$100 is overpriced for the dodocase for sure, and $50 might be slightly overpriced as well. But it is handmade and from san francisco..lol things like that seem to come at a premium.

I was the one he sold it to. Going to look into replacing the foam with rubber or plastic bumpers. The appeal of this case is the look obviously, so you just got to consider how much you want that moleskin book look.

malbright
Jun 19, 2010, 07:24 PM
In my experience, the folks at Dodocase seem genuinely interested in customer satisfaction and are very responsive. If I were you, I would be contacting them to either get a replacement or a refund. I would be very surprised if they didn't happily agree.

PerfectCr
Jun 19, 2010, 10:46 PM
Good Luck Fixing it, why wouldn't you just return it for all your money back?

Becasuse I didn't feel like going through the hassle of selling it on ebay and all that. Just so disappointed in the wait I just wanted it out of my hands.

Rvn
Jun 19, 2010, 11:42 PM
well this is perfect proof that:

handmade is NOT the same as wellmade, period. american build, china build whatever build.

machines are just far more accurate than human hands trying to keep up with orders.

the dodocase is a great idea and it looks nice but they have to re-think the idea.

bhsu21
Jun 20, 2010, 09:20 AM
I should be getting mine soon since I ordered on May 10. A bit nervous from seeing some of the defective ones people have been getting. We will see! I'll post how it is when I get it.

peapody
Jun 20, 2010, 09:24 AM
I think as long as you take the product with a grain of salt. Handmade of course is not going to be perfect. If you don't want handmade, get something a machine produced.

jlans
Jun 20, 2010, 12:44 PM
In my experience, the folks at Dodocase seem genuinely interested in customer satisfaction and are very responsive. If I were you, I would be contacting them to either get a replacement or a refund. I would be very surprised if they didn't happily agree.

Response from DODO Case

Hi There,
It looks like you purchased this from an Ebay seller that has nothing to do with DODOcase, they may have purchased the case to resell on Ebay. We are sorry to hear of the trouble but unfortunately since you purchased from a 3rd party there is nothing we can do at this point. You will have to file a claim with the seller on Ebay.

Thank you,
Ilana
DODOcase

While I did purchase from eBay this letter indicates a large disregard for customer service. They should be standing behind their product no matter how it was acquired. Could have been a birthday gift, fathers day gift or whatever. Not looking for a refund, looking for a case that hold my iPad without falling out.. Apparently DODO case is not the way to go.

jlans
Jun 20, 2010, 12:49 PM
I think as long as you take the product with a grain of salt. Handmade of course is not going to be perfect. If you don't want handmade, get something a machine produced.

I understand that a handmade product isn't going to be perfect, however it should at least do what it is suppose to do. HOLD an iPAD in a great looking case.

peskaa
Jun 20, 2010, 12:51 PM
Totaly wrong. DODO have an obligation to somebody who purchaseddirect from them, same as how any retailer is responsible to their buyer for the goods. In this case your retailer is the eBay seller, not DODO.

As for gifts, the relationship is still between retailer and buyer, even if they gave it away. In these cases you need a receipt to show direct purchase - no receipt, no support as no relationship is proven.

As an aside, my DODOcase came a few days ago and is flawless.

peapody
Jun 20, 2010, 01:07 PM
While I did purchase from eBay this letter indicates a large disregard for customer service. They should be standing behind their product no matter how it was acquired. Could have been a birthday gift, fathers day gift or whatever. Not looking for a refund, looking for a case that hold my iPad without falling out.. Apparently DODO case is not the way to go.

I don't really agree with this. Ebay sellers gouge you on prices...DODO doesn't (relatively). Ebay sellers are the ones assuming responsibility of the product sold, and since they are gouging you big time on the case, they should be the ones delivering the promised product. my $0.02.

jlans
Jun 20, 2010, 01:24 PM
I don't really agree with this. Ebay sellers gouge you on prices...DODO doesn't (relatively). Ebay sellers are the ones assuming responsibility of the product sold, and since they are gouging you big time on the case, they should be the ones delivering the promised product. my $0.02.

Yeah, its not the price I'm pissed about. Its nothing about the price nor should the seller be responsible if the manufacturing was done incorrectly. The seller is helping out, but rather than me send it to him, so he can send it to them, so they can send a new one to him, so he can send it to me wouldn't it make sense for DODO to just give good customer service and deal with me. Take a look at the reviews on their Facebook page, looks like nothing but problems headed their way. They aren't exactly stepping up and providing information. They are too busy taking orders for a product rife with problems.

sracer
Jun 20, 2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah, its not the price I'm pissed about. Its nothing about the price nor should the seller be responsible if the manufacturing was done incorrectly. The seller is helping out, but rather than me send it to him, so he can send it to them, so they can send a new one to him, so he can send it to me wouldn't it make sense for DODO to just give good customer service and deal with me. Take a look at the reviews on their Facebook page, looks like nothing but problems headed their way. They aren't exactly stepping up and providing information. They are too busy taking orders for a product rife with problems.
You're wrong. Your contract is with the ebay seller, pure and simple. The seller describes what kind of guarantee if any there is with the item. It is unreasonable to expect DODO to make it right. DODO has nothing to do with your transaction. How do you know if the seller took proper care and storage of the case?

You talk about "customer service" but you aren't a customer of DODO.... you are a customer of the person on ebay that you bought the item from. Unfortunately this misplaced sense of entitlement is too common.

peapody
Jun 20, 2010, 05:36 PM
You're wrong. Your contract is with the ebay seller, pure and simple. The seller describes what kind of guarantee if any there is with the item. It is unreasonable to expect DODO to make it right. DODO has nothing to do with your transaction. How do you know if the seller took proper care and storage of the case?

You talk about "customer service" but you aren't a customer of DODO.... you are a customer of the person on ebay that you bought the item from. Unfortunately this misplaced sense of entitlement is too common.

Agreed - those people who sell on ebay turn into competitors for DODO using their own cases too. They take away business flipping other people's creations for profit. I can see why DODO does not want to perpetuate the "black" market.

But yes, the DODO case has design flaws. I thought that would have been obvious based on the design...but everyone wanted to get in on that case so thus we have this huge backorder, and DODO would therefore be unable to resolve the issue...haha. I don't see any redesigns etc until the order rush has subsided.

jlans
Jun 20, 2010, 05:56 PM

Well I am a customer as I ordered one in May they charged my Card Friday. I happen to have use for both, with two iPads in the family. I guess I'll just wait for the new one to came and hope it holds the iPad and then act like the one I bought from eBay is the one I just got. Sense of entitlement? Like WTF, not entitled to a product that does what it is suppose to do?. You must not have the first clue about what would be good customer service or maybe you work for DODO.

peapody
Jun 20, 2010, 06:08 PM
I guess I'll just wait for the new one to came and hope it holds the iPad and then act like the one I bought from eBay is the one I just got.

Shady...

jeremy3721
Jun 20, 2010, 07:21 PM

You are off base here, Ebay/Paypal have buyer protection programs. File a clame through them and you'll likely get your money back. Even if the seller has a no return policy they are still required to send you the product as described in the auction. If it was damaged on arrival your claim will have a very good chance of being accepted. Also make sure you leave negative feedback for the seller if you contact them and they won't accept the return.

The Dodo people have no responsibility here. They can't control how a products is handled by a 3rd party. They could have left it outside in direct sunlight all day for instance which caused the warping.

Just file a claim with ebay, that's your only recourse.

brentsg
Jun 20, 2010, 07:30 PM
Response from DODO Case

Hi There,
It looks like you purchased this from an Ebay seller that has nothing to do with DODOcase, they may have purchased the case to resell on Ebay. We are sorry to hear of the trouble but unfortunately since you purchased from a 3rd party there is nothing we can do at this point. You will have to file a claim with the seller on Ebay.

Thank you,
Ilana
DODOcasethe way to go.

Ha.. well they definitely won't ever find me on their customer list. That's **** for service.

Also Macrumors seems to have the highest percentage of corporate apologist fanboys than any other forum I've visited. Every single person siding with DODO on this would absolutely head straight for Apple if they bought a 6 month old MacBook Pro (used) and the GPU failed on them.

ToutSuite
Jun 20, 2010, 07:36 PM
Ha.. well they definitely won't ever find me on their customer list. That's **** for service.

Also Macrumors seems to have the highest percentage of corporate apologist fanboys than any other forum I've visited.

So wait a minute. You bought a case from someone who obviously has had it for months (order in the 700s), and when it turns out it's warped, you blame DODO? The seller ripped you off and you're turning to everyone on the planet EXCEPT him to make it right. The reason EVERYONE is telling you the exact same thing is because it's the correct answer: seek remittance from the person who sold you a broken, used product.

malbright
Jun 20, 2010, 11:15 PM
Well, attitude aside, in my view it's unreasonable to expect Dodo to accept a return on a case which is months old and sold via a seller on eBay. It's the seller's responsibility. It's like buying a used car, and it turns out the used car has problems, then expecting Ford to take it back.

What I WOULD do, if your seller won't help, is to contact Dodo again and ask them if they would look at it and see if there's anything they can do to repair it. Perhaps they will charge you a fee. In my view, it's worth it.

-- Your seller can't fix it
-- Your seller won't take it back (have you written politely and asked? If your seller stonewalls you, Ebay does have effective mechanisms beyond negative feedback for dealing with products that were not described accurately.)
-- In the end, if you try and be reasonable and nice and are willing to share in the responsibility, it's quite likely that Dodo can look at your case and see if anything can be done to help it.

Don't blame Dodo because some seller misrepresented a product. Blame the seller. Personally, I would be relentless in going after him—I hate bad eBay sellers, so for me it would be a matter of principle.

sracer
Jun 21, 2010, 08:42 AM
Well I am a customer as I ordered one in May they charged my Card Friday. I happen to have use for both, with two iPads in the family. I guess I'll just wait for the new one to came and hope it holds the iPad and then act like the one I bought from eBay is the one I just got. Sense of entitlement? Like WTF, not entitled to a product that does what it is suppose to do?. You must not have the first clue about what would be good customer service or maybe you work for DODO.
You are quite confused. You are a customer of DODO because of the particular DODO case that you have not yet received.... buying a case from an ebay seller does NOT make you a customer of DODO. If the case that you bought from DODO is defective then they would most definitely need to make that right.

Yes, you have a misplaced sense of entitlement. You expect others (DODO in this case) to correct a mistake (buying a defective product from an ebay seller) that you made. Hopefully there are serial numbers burnished into each case so that you don't pull the ol' switcheroo and attempt to send the case purchased on ebay to DODO and claim that DODO sent you a defective case.

peapody
Jun 21, 2010, 01:00 PM
The guy is on time out. I wonder what that means.

TheLee
Jun 21, 2010, 03:36 PM

Also Macrumors seems to have the highest percentage of corporate apologist fanboys than any other forum I've visited. Every single person siding with DODO on this would absolutely head straight for Apple if they bought a 6 month old MacBook Pro (used) and the GPU failed on them.

you and jlans have a completely warped sense of how transactions take place. as many other people have mentioned, why on earth would DODO have obligation to fulfill a product that is used and being resold by someone else, especially considering DODO does not support any kind of third-party resellers?? If you buy a used imac on ebay and instead you get a cardboard box with "APPLE" magic markered on it, do you expect to be able to go to Apple and get a refund? If that's the case, I have a great business idea for getting free macs - I just need two ebay accounts and a cardboard box.

DaddyWhale
Jun 21, 2010, 03:39 PM
Got mine today and so far am satisfied with it. There are small imperfections, like small chips in the bamboo. But I expected that given the materials used and its being handmade. It functions the way I want it to and has the understated elegance that I was looking for. Like a book, it looks like it will wear with time. But I don't plan on having my iPad for more than a year or so.

DW

macpluslaptop
Jun 21, 2010, 04:35 PM
Got my shipping confirmation (for May 10th order). I notice in the e-mail that they advise against 'inverting' the case, and warn about imperfections. They also suggest using Velcro if one wants a tighter fit. That actually makes some sense, but it's also a response to complaints like the ones here. So someone's paying attention.

I'll post when I actually get it. Looking forward...:D

brentsg
Jun 21, 2010, 04:37 PM
you and jlans have a completely warped sense of how transactions take place. as many other people have mentioned, why on earth would DODO have obligation to fulfill a product that is used and being resold by someone else, especially considering DODO does not support any kind of third-party resellers?? If you buy a used imac on ebay and instead you get a cardboard box with "APPLE" magic markered on it, do you expect to be able to go to Apple and get a refund? If that's the case, I have a great business idea for getting free macs - I just need two ebay accounts and a cardboard box.

Very, very few products actually have a warranty that is only good for the original purchaser.

If you buy a used car that has only 5000 miles on it, don't you expect the manufacturer to stand behind their product? Of course you do.

I have absolutely no idea how you think you can compare the receipt of a defective product with that of an outright scam where no product is delivered. Did that seriously make sense to you when you wrote it?

brentsg
Jun 21, 2010, 04:39 PM
So wait a minute. You bought a case from someone who obviously has had it for months (order in the 700s), and when it turns out it's warped, you blame DODO? The seller ripped you off and you're turning to everyone on the planet EXCEPT him to make it right. The reason EVERYONE is telling you the exact same thing is because it's the correct answer: seek remittance from the person who sold you a broken, used product.

Months? Seriously how long have these even been available? You make it sound like the Ebay vendor had this thing forever.

So DODO provides no warranty whatsoever?

There is a big difference between a broken and a defective product. One is the responsibility of the vendor, and the other is the responsibility of the manufacturer. How exactly do you think it got warped? You think he sat on it or something?

I'll laugh my ass off if everyone's case starts warping, that's for sure.

peapody
Jun 21, 2010, 04:50 PM
Months? Seriously how long have these even been available? You make it sound like the Ebay vendor had this thing forever.

So DODO provides no warranty whatsoever?

There is a big difference between a broken and a defective product. One is the responsibility of the vendor, and the other is the responsibility of the manufacturer. How exactly do you think it got warped? You think he sat on it or something?

I'll laugh my ass off if everyone's case starts warping, that's for sure.

I think you are missing the point. They are not offering warranty to people who purchased their case on eBay from another seller.

ToutSuite
Jun 21, 2010, 05:06 PM
How exactly do you think it got warped? You think he sat on it or something?
That's my question, too. How did it get warped, and when? Was it warped:

1. When he received it from Dodo? (in which case, why didn't he send it back? And why didn't he list it as warped in the ad?)
2. When he had it but before he sold it? (Again, no mention of it in the ad?)
3. In transit between him and you after the sale?

Those are the only possibilities. If it was #3, your claim is with the shipping company. If it was #1 or #2, your claim is with him. You're not providing a lot of details. One potential scenario is that the case warped while he had it and for whatever reason he decided to unload it on eBay. Has he been returning your emails since your receipt of the case? Offered a full refund for return?

brentsg
Jun 21, 2010, 05:08 PM
I think you are missing the point. They are not offering warranty to people who purchased their case on eBay from another seller.

Which may even be illegal in some states..

brentsg
Jun 21, 2010, 05:10 PM
That's my question, too. How did it get warped, and when? Was it warped:

1. When he received it from Dodo? (in which case, why didn't he send it back? And why didn't he list it as warped in the ad?)
2. When he had it but before he sold it? (Again, no mention of it in the ad?)
3. In transit between him and you after the sale?

Those are the only possibilities. If it was #3, your claim is with the shipping company. If it was #1 or #2, your claim is with him. You're not providing a lot of details. One potential scenario is that the case warped while he had it and for whatever reason he decided to unload it on eBay. Has he been returning your emails since your receipt of the case? Offered a full refund for return?

Just to be clear, I didn't buy this case.

I just think if it's warping at all then it's a manufacturer's issue. I would think most shipping issues would actually break it.

peapody
Jun 21, 2010, 05:18 PM

I just think if it's warping at all then it's a manufacturer's issue. I would think most shipping issues would actually break it.

If you didn't buy the case...why the diatribe in this thread lol. Leave people alone and let them deal with their purchases/mistakes.

ToutSuite
Jun 21, 2010, 05:22 PM

Sorry, I confused you with the other poster. No offense intended.

Well, I notice DODO has posted on their Facebook page a warning against leaving the case in a hot environment, such as a parked car. I'm not sure if this warning is included with the case, but if it was, it could be this case was abused by the owner in spite of DODO's warnings.

The point is, DODO has no idea how the case was treated after it was sent to the original owner. To carry your car analogy further, if someone sells you a used Taurus with a smashed-in front end, it's difficult to imagine Ford would cover repairs regardless of how many miles or owners the car has had. I disagree with your assertion that "very, very few" products are warranted beyond the original owner. Cars are an exception, but almost every other product imaginable is guaranteed only with the original owner. I'd say that's the standard, and DODO are adhering to it.

CarloVonSexron
Jun 21, 2010, 07:01 PM
There's also a slight difference between a durable good like a car and a consumer good like an iPad case.

peapody
Jun 21, 2010, 09:11 PM
Just got my case from perfecter...and yep..loose iPad. I am heading to the store tomorrow to pick up some thin rubber to line the corners. This case is beautiful..and that card they include is a nice touch. This is going to be a gift for my boyfriend who holds Sf very dear to his heart....he is going to love it!

1BadMac
Jun 22, 2010, 08:14 PM
Back on topic.... :p

What is the shipping date up to? I ordered 5/18. Billed on 6/15. No email (yet) - no case (yet).

JonMPLS
Jun 22, 2010, 08:28 PM
Back on topic.... :p

What is the shipping date up to? I ordered 5/18. Billed on 6/15. No email (yet) - no case (yet).

My shipping notice came today. 5/11 order. Looking forward to seeing it!

Wildgift
Jun 22, 2010, 09:19 PM
Order 7875, ordered 5/13; shipped 6/22.

Phil Lee
Jun 23, 2010, 04:04 AM
Order 7810, placed on 13/5/2010, left the nest on 22/6/2010.

flashkai
Jun 23, 2010, 04:55 AM

You could have a bit of a wait for your case, mine left the nest on 10/06 and I still have not received it, they said it can take up to 4 weeks to clear customs, I am in Staffordshire.

raymond lin
Jun 23, 2010, 05:02 AM

I ordered the same day, money taken on the 10tj June, no dispatch email yet.

JonMPLS
Jun 23, 2010, 10:06 AM
For these in the US--did you need to be home to sign for delivery or did they leave it without a signature? Thanks

macpluslaptop
Jun 23, 2010, 04:11 PM
Mine arrived today (ordered May 10). It is beautiful but the Apple case does some important things a little better. The Dodo makes typing harder unless you're sitting perfectly upright (as the fellow in the video is). That isn't how I use my iPad. The incline is steeper on the Apple, which helps, but more importantly the way Dodo is designed it doesn't hold its tilt if you're not upright - the iPad is too heavy, so the covers slip (If I made a video this would be easier to explain!). This is major.

It's also harder to read with the Dodo - in landscape it's a little too flat, because of the weight, so you have to hold it up, which is a pain, and in portrait mode you can't fold the front cover back as you can with the Apple. Although you can hold it like a real book, which is neat.

My intent here is to give interested people more specific information (not just the raves about its gorgeous looks). I may just need to get used to it. I love the idea, and the way the ribbon closes the covers (unlike Apple's, which doesn't completely close).

But I'm keeping my Apple case around.

TheLee
Jun 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
Mine arrived today (ordered May 10). It is beautiful but the Apple case does some important things a little better. The Dodo makes typing harder unless you're sitting perfectly upright (as the fellow in the video is). That isn't how I use my iPad. The incline is steeper on the Apple, which helps, but more importantly the way Dodo is designed it doesn't hold its tilt if you're not upright - the iPad is too heavy, so the covers slip (If I made a video this would be easier to explain!). This is major.

It's also harder to read with the Dodo - in landscape it's a little too flat, because of the weight, so you have to hold it up, which is a pain, and in portrait mode you can't fold the front cover back as you can with the Apple. Although you can hold it like a real book, which is neat.

My intent here is to give interested people more specific information (not just the raves about its gorgeous looks). I may just need to get used to it. I love the idea, and the way the ribbon closes the covers (unlike Apple's, which doesn't completely close).

But I'm keeping my Apple case around.

i've heard other people mention that (possibly as a result of these shortcomings) they mainly use it as a transporting case - they take it out of the case for actual use.

junkmail
Jun 24, 2010, 08:01 AM
Order 7875, ordered 5/13; shipped 6/22.

I ordered on 5/13 and mine shipped 6/23. I emailed them on the 23rd and got a reply saying it was leaving the nest that day.

Wildgift
Jun 24, 2010, 01:43 PM
#7875 arrived today. Completely beautiful. Now i can take that awful crystal screen protector off and enjoy the iPad naked screen. Quality is top notch. Looks like a keeper!

1BadMac
Jun 24, 2010, 09:49 PM
Received email indicated my case has left the nest!

Ordered on 5/18, should receive it Mon/Tues next week if lucky.

:cool:

flashkai
Jun 25, 2010, 04:19 AM
Has anyone from the UK received their DODOcase? If so who delivered it? Mine was shipped over two weeks ago and still no sign.

macpluslaptop
Jun 25, 2010, 06:59 AM
I've been using Dodo for a couple of days and I do really like it - the issues I noted recently (slippage of cover in typing mode, difficulty of reading positions) are abating a bit. The slippage issue is still the biggest, and a design flaw I think - there's a reason why the Apple case has that flap catch on the back. Dodo could put a piece of velcro on the covers, or something to fix this, but I think they're putting purity of design first. And they're so busy pushing these out that they probably don't have the time or desire to design 1.1. As far as reading goes, I'm getting used to it - Apple case still offers better reading ergonomics, but the Dodo is okay.

The Dodo case IS a lot bigger than the Apple case, so you're always going to be holding a block of bamboo in your hand rather than the iPad itself (the feeling you get from the minimal Apple case). I haven't taken my iPad out of the house yet, and I expect the Dodo to excel when I have to travel.

I see that the price of their case is rising by $10 July 1. You'll be getting a beautiful case, with compromised functionality. But it is beautiful.

flashkai
Jun 25, 2010, 08:22 AM
Just got mine!! Woo hoo!

1BadMac
Jun 25, 2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, my purchase of this case was solely based on the "aesthetics" and having a cool looking conversation piece. Sad, but true. I have the Apple case already and it does a good job. Neither case will really "protect" it from a fall, but I don't really think any of the cases available will do a great job if you drop something that's made of glass anyways.

So for people reading this thread, note what people are saying. This isn't the most functional case - but probably one of the better looking ones if you are into the moleskin look. If you are expecting a cookie-cutter perfect case from a production line, look elsewhere.

Can't wait to get mine! :D

peapody
Jun 25, 2010, 10:45 AM
For sure this case does not do much at all... but there is no case out there like it.

macpluslaptop
Jun 25, 2010, 11:12 AM
My iPad now drops out of the Dodo, without any shaking at all. Maybe I got a lemon. Sigh.:(

peapody
Jun 25, 2010, 11:14 AM
My iPad now drops out of the Dodo, without any shaking at all. Maybe I got a lemon. Sigh.:(

No you didn't it just happens because of the design.

ArsDigitalis
Jun 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
After a very long week of intensive use, my DODOcase still retain the iPad without any problem.
Not once the iPad left the crave. The foam still retain every corner of it (and I know because of the forums and the Facebook page that there are serious issues)
Is not a matter of fashion, beauty or something to talk about.
Purely disguise. Nobody guess this is an iPad.
Of course during meetings the attendants ask a question or two (or a lot) about the iPad and about how good the case is.
But the point here is that I'm living in a country where the iPads did not arrive and most probably after landing here they will cost almost twice the U.S. Price and well beyond a notebook (not netbook) price. So one must be very careful walking the street or using public transport.
For me the DODO rocks.

KINetics
Jun 25, 2010, 03:28 PM
Order #8949, placed 5/20/10

Your DODOcase is leaving the nest! It has been shipped on 06/25/2010 via USPS Priority Mail.

Whoo!

Indydenny
Jun 26, 2010, 05:54 AM
Got mine a few days ago and it is really not what I wanted. Makes the ipad feel bulky. Good looking but not practical for me.

Will look to sell it.

IbisDoc
Jun 26, 2010, 08:58 AM
I'm planning to leave my incipio feather case on when placing it in the dodocase (if the damn thing ever arrives). This way I can attach Velcro to the feather case, and not to the iPad itself. If the fit is so loose that ipads are falling out, I figure that the dodocase should easily accommodate my feather case as well.

GoCubsGo
Jun 26, 2010, 08:59 AM
I'm planning to leave my incipio feather case on when placing it in the dodocase (if the damn thing ever arrives). This way I can attach Velcro to the feather case, and not to the iPad itself. If the fit is so loose that ipads are falling out, I figure that the dodocase should easily accommodate my feather case as well.

I don't think it'll fit, will it?

IbisDoc
Jun 26, 2010, 09:02 AM
I don't think it'll fit, will it?

I'll let you know if I ever get my dodocase. I'm order 9400 or so.

peapody
Jun 26, 2010, 09:03 AM

Nah wont fit.

The fit is pretty tight with the ipad itself...unless you really force it in there, but imagine the wood cracking if you do.

IbisDoc
Jun 26, 2010, 09:07 AM
Nah wont fit.

The fit is pretty tight with the ipad itself...unless you really force it in there, but imagine the wood cracking if you do.

So tight that it falls out without any effort?

iqwertyi
Jun 28, 2010, 08:49 PM
OMG, OMG, OMG...
My credit card was also charged today. :D
9200+

Update:
Just got my shipping confirmation.
The wait is almost over!!!

KINetics
Jun 28, 2010, 09:22 PM
Order #8949, placed 5/20/10. Received today.

Some unboxing shots:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3088.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3089.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3090.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3091.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3092.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3093.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3094.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3095.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3096.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3097.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3098.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3101.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3103.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3104.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3105.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3106.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3107.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3108.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3109.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/KINetics112/DSC_3110.jpg

peapody
Jun 29, 2010, 09:15 AM
So tight that it falls out without any effort?

It falls out because there is nothing that stops the ipad from falling out. Other cases have clips and beveled edges that let the ipad snap into place. This one has foam pieces that let the ipad slide. That is why it slides out. The fit is tight, but there is just nothing holding it in.

Nice shots KINetics! I gave my case to my boyfriend who loves SF and moleskins...ahhaa I am going to offer him some other cases though just in case he finds the utility lacking.

flashkai
Jun 29, 2010, 09:25 AM
Strange how the above DODOcase label is inside the cover whereas mine is behind the iPad

iqwertyi
Jun 29, 2010, 10:35 AM
Order #8949, placed 5/20/10. Received today.

Some unboxing shots:

Thanks for the great shots!
I do hope I can move that dodocase branding/sticker on the opposite side under the iPad.

ernieUK
Jun 29, 2010, 01:44 PM
Nice shots! Helps make the waiting easier!

I ordered mine 5 days after that - in fact 5 weeks today - but I'm in the uk.

Anyone else ordered from UK? Just wondered how long shipping took?

:)

1BadMac
Jun 29, 2010, 09:38 PM
Received email indicated my case has left the nest!

Ordered on 5/18, should receive it Mon/Tues next week if lucky.

:cool:

Got is yesterday, used it today! Build quality is good, meets my expectations. iPad holds firm in the case. Worth the wait - took it to work and caught a few peeps off guard with it. Good conversation piece. ;)

Jsn
Jun 29, 2010, 10:57 PM
I want to thank everyone who has written forthrightly and honestly about their experiences with the Dodocase in this thread. It's helped me realize that, as much as i admire the design and workmanship of the case, it's probably not right for me. The thin angle of incline it offers really wouldn't be optimal for all the typing i do, and while it's a killer cover it's not really all that great shakes as a stand.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for this company--I think they're making the right moves in terms of product image and company values. But I seriously doubt that anyone has come up with a perfect case design yet. I'm hanging on to my generic Apple case-clone for now, and I look forward to the innovations all this competition will shake out.