Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dolomite360

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
It is an 8GB, and its either 2G or 3G. (Definitely not 1G)

The model number has "MC" in it? Does "MC" mean that it would be a 2G or a 3G? It's also running 3.1.3!

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Apple is selling it as a "3rd-generation" model, but it did not get the hardware upgrades. Both the 2G and 3G 8GB are essentially the same.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
If it is an 8GB MC model then it is technically the same as the 2G but with a different bootrom. The 32\64Gb models are the latest generation with increased RAM and more powerful CPU utilizing PowerVR SGX for better graphics processing.

dom91932

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2009
or if you bought it from apple you can tell by the year and month you bought it.

DJHonda84

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
You won't enjoy the full feature set of OS 4.

I know this is not the answer to the question asked by threadstarter, but is the only reason I could think of as to why they'd care about iPod touch generation.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
can you upgrade the hard drive in a second generation iPod Touch from 32gb to 64gb? I have a cracked screen and have been meaning to replace it. I would also like to replace the battery too since it seems to not be as good as it used to be. I don't feel like upgrading to the latest, greatest iPod Touch though - this one is working fine for my needs considering how often I use it.

adamran

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
can you upgrade the hard drive in a second generation iPod Touch from 32gb to 64gb? I have a cracked screen and have been meaning to replace it. I would also like to replace the battery too since it seems to not be as good as it used to be. I don't feel like upgrading to the latest, greatest iPod Touch though - this one is working fine for my needs considering how often I use it.

Hell no!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.