PDA

View Full Version : hinge on 12 in PB

KooBrewoP
Sep 28, 2004, 04:33 AM
worryingly my powerbook screen has recently started creaking. iv seen old ish iBooks that sound awful, their screen having almost completely seized up. Is their any way to stop the hinge from creaking? :confused:

cluthz
Sep 28, 2004, 04:40 AM
worryingly my powerbook screen has recently started creaking. iv seen old ish iBooks that sound awful, their screen having almost completely seized up. Is their any way to stop the hinge from creaking? :confused:

I would try to oil it carefully on both sides and see if it helps.

brap
Sep 28, 2004, 05:06 AM
Hm, yeah, mine creaks too... never thought anything of it though. Is it a Bad Thing?

agentkow
Sep 29, 2004, 11:38 AM
Mine too, on my 15" it's gotten worse in the last month or two, really loud sounding like I'm breaking it everytime I close or open it. My wife always suddenly looks over at me as if I've just broken our computer. :eek:

russed
Sep 29, 2004, 12:06 PM
mine too, it has always creaked. it does it more if you move the lid slower

Rod Rod
Sep 29, 2004, 12:37 PM
I would try to oil it carefully on both sides and see if it helps.

I wouldn't oil it. Oil could corrode the plastics. There are plastic pieces in among the aluminum parts, and of course there are plastics/polymers insulating the cables that run through the hinge.

Celeron
Sep 29, 2004, 06:50 PM
Add my 12'' rev b to the list. I bought it in March 2004. A fellow student of mine has a 15'' that is creaking too.

I don't know what to do about it. If you find something out, let us all know.