Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Not sure if this is the right forum but I purchased a movie on iTunes Sunday for my 2year old grandson to watch. My daughter made the purchase through iTunes so I wasn't aware that I would be unable to make a copy of it on DVD. Anyway, I am going to purchase it today on DVD ONLY if I can make a copy of it. Is there any special software I need to do this, and if so, are any of them free? I hate paying twice for a movie but some people don't read any disclaimers before hitting the buy button....especially if they are using someone else's money:)

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I think a lot depends on why you want to copy the movie. Is it to watch on another device, like an iPod or AppleTV? If so, I would suggest Handbrake (which is free).

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
No, I want to make a back up copy that i am using to play in a DVD player. Since it will get played alot I want to keep the original free from scratching.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
No, I want to make a back up copy that i am using to play in a DVD player. Since it will get played alot I want to keep the original free from scratching.

Then do as I suggested. You can use the original one for playing and then burn a new copy from the HD if needed

designcouch

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Roanoke, VA
RipIt

An alternative to MacTheRipper (which is no longer being updated, and is quite buggy) is called RipIt. It is constantly being updated to stay on top of current DVD copy protection. You have to pay for it once ($20 - quite cheap, for what you get) and you can rip multiple ways. I may be assuming too much, but since you're on a MacRumors forum I'm guessing you have a Mac. If not, ignore my advice, as this software isn't available for PCs. You can find the download at http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
An alternative to MacTheRipper (which is no longer being updated, and is quite buggy) is called RipIt. It is constantly being updated to stay on top of current DVD copy protection. You have to pay for it once ($20 - quite cheap, for what you get) and you can rip multiple ways. I may be assuming too much, but since you're on a MacRumors forum I'm guessing you have a Mac. If not, ignore my advice, as this software isn't available for PCs. You can find the download at http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/

Mactheripper is being updated. And their forums are active.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
An alternative to MacTheRipper (which is no longer being updated, and is quite buggy)

Unfortunately for you, both of the above statements are wrong. MacTheRipper is still being worked on and is at version 4.0. Also all software has bugs in it, some more than others. I would assume that you are using version 2.6.6 and would expect it to have bugs in it given how outdated it is.

ignore my advice

Will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.