PDA

View Full Version : iPad (WiFi) + iPhone 3G (MyWi) = iPad 3G ?

MT0227
Apr 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
I just installed the MyWi app (need JB iPhone) and it appears to be working flawlessly. Ran Speed test X HD...downloading at 102.8 KB/s. Looks like I can have my 3G fix if I need it on the go :D

For those using this setup, how has your performance been?

HXGuy
Apr 30, 2010, 11:18 AM
Is Speed X HD a better app to test download speeds than Speednet.net app? I just saw it in the app store but already have the free Speednet.net app so I didn't give it much thought.

CrAkD
Apr 30, 2010, 11:20 AM
Just tested my speed on that app running thru my iPhone 3GS. 2.5mbps, 323Kbps not too shabby. Been running flawless at work. (no wifi here)

MT0227
Apr 30, 2010, 11:22 AM
Is Speed X HD a better app to test download speeds than Speednet.net app? I just saw it in the app store but already have the free Speednet.net app so I didn't give it much thought.

Funny thing...try going to speedtest.net in Safari on the iPad....it takes you directly to the app in the app store. X HD is the iPad version.

timotheezz
Apr 30, 2010, 11:24 AM
I just installed the MyWi app and it appears to be working flawlessly. Ran Speed test X HD...downloading at 102.8 KB/s. Looks like I can have my 3G fix if I need it on the go :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in theory, the speeds should be quite similar, no? 3G = 3G = 3G correct?

Cyroceon
Apr 30, 2010, 11:25 AM
I cant find an application named MyWi in the app store, can you please link it here? Or give me the exact name?

tacoshell
Apr 30, 2010, 11:28 AM
iPad (WiFi) + iPhone 3G (MyWi) != iPad 3G

I have the iPad wifi and i have the iPhone 3G with MyWi, and for occasional browsing outside wifi it works wonders. It is not the same as if you owned a iPad 3G because you will not have the same freedom to browse as much as you like whenever you like. The reason for this is running MyWi on the 3G pounds the battery and really heats up the phone. It is not an always on solution and can not be use for very long. So while it is not the iPad 3G, if you only want to use it occasionally away from home, it is the right solution for you.

MT0227
Apr 30, 2010, 11:28 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in theory, the speeds should be quite similar, no? 3G = 3G = 3G correct?

I'd agree..assuming your 3g connection is similar.

Saberon
Apr 30, 2010, 11:29 AM
I cant find an application named MyWi in the app store, can you please link it here? Or give me the exact name?

Jailbreak only app

HXGuy
Apr 30, 2010, 11:30 AM

It's a jailbreak app

Cyroceon
Apr 30, 2010, 11:30 AM
Jailbreak only app

That should've been one of the first things said in this thread. Thanks.

MT0227
Apr 30, 2010, 11:32 AM
It is not an always on solution and can not be use for very long

What is very long? I have my iPhone plugged in the wall, has been running MyWi for about 1.5hrs. The phone is warm, but not hot.

timotheezz
Apr 30, 2010, 11:33 AM

I have the iPad wifi and i have the iPhone 3G with MyWi, and for occasional browsing outside wifi it works wonders. It is not the same as if you owned a iPad 3G because you will not have the same freedom to browse as much as you like whenever you like. The reason for this is running MyWi on the 3G pounds the battery and really heats up the phone. It is not an always on solution and can not be use for very long. So while it is not the iPad 3G, if you only want to use it occasionally away from home, it is the right solution for you.

I believe the question was about performance (speed) rather than whether MyWi + iPad would give you the exact same sense of freedom that an iPad 3G would. I'm pretty sure I now need some sort of battery pack for my iPhone for those rare times that I'll be rockin' the 3G. It really all depends on one's needs. For me, MyWi + iPad is a fantastic solution. Anandtech has done a few comparisons of the iPad 3G vs iPhone 3GS in terms of webpage loading over 3G -- quite similar: http://anandtech.com/show/3684/this-just-in-apple-ipad-3g

CrAkD
Apr 30, 2010, 11:34 AM

Should be pretty obvious. Apple isn't going to let a wifi Tethering app in the app store. Or should I say AT&T isn't. Not to mention there's been tons of mywi threads here already.

tacoshell

The iPad 3G and the iPhone 3GS are both running the 7.2 Mbps HSDPA chip. The older iPhone 3G is running the 3.6 Mbps HSDPA chip. But as most cities have not been upgraded to the faster speeds by at&t they will most likely appear to be the same.

MT0227

Edited for you...:D

tacoshell
Apr 30, 2010, 11:37 AM
I believe the question was about performance (speed) rather than whether MyWi + iPad would give you the exact same sense of freedom that an iPad 3G would. I'm pretty sure I now need some sort of battery pack for my iPhone for those rare times that I'll be rockin' the 3G. It really all depends on one's needs. For me, MyWi + iPad is a fantastic solution. Anandtech has done a few comparisons of the iPad 3G vs iPhone 3GS in terms of webpage loading over 3G -- quite similar: http://anandtech.com/show/3684/this-just-in-apple-ipad-3g

As I posted in regards to the 3G / 3Gs question, it depends on what city you live in. As I am in DC and we do not have the new 7.2 Mbps HSDPA coverage, I am getting the same speeds with my iPhone 3G as I would get with an iPad 3G or iPhone 3GS. What city are you in/ near if you don't mind me asking.

xraytech
Apr 30, 2010, 11:39 AM

MyWi is a JB App, it's not available at the App Store.

timotheezz
Apr 30, 2010, 11:46 AM
As I posted in regards to the 3G / 3Gs question, it depends on what city you live in. As I am in DC and we do not have the new 7.2 Mbps HSDPA coverage, I am getting the same speeds with my iPhone 3G as I would get with an iPad 3G or iPhone 3GS. What city are you in/ near if you don't mind me asking.

Northern New Jersey area -- when I venture into the big apple, things can go a littleeee slower...

bossxii
Apr 30, 2010, 11:48 AM
While it is true, using the MyWi app via a JB iPhone will only give you 90 to 120 mins off battery, that can be easily doubled eith a battery case. I have the Encase slider pack and have pulled 3.5 to 4 hours of wifi access. Clearly usage determines life, streaming video or in my case using Slingplayer took me to just shy of 3 hours while reading forums and such it lasted well over 4 hours.

Bottom line I'm not paying ATT twice for data, if that means I need to recharge or plug in a few times a day so be it. Plus when I'm out of the office the phone is usually plugged into my car so it's not like I'm out hiking away from the grid, power hasn't been an issue at all. As far as speed goes, depending on locations I've seen a range from 1.0 mb to 2.5mb down in the 4 or 5 spots I use it most outside the house. Plenty for surfing, and it streams netflix and slingplayer with very few issues.

tacoshell
Apr 30, 2010, 11:55 AM
Northern New Jersey area -- when I venture into the big apple, things can go a littleeee slower...

So for your market, iPhone 3G = iPhone 3GS = iPad 3G. According to press releases, the plan for the faster network is starting with Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles and Miami.

Stetrain
Apr 30, 2010, 11:59 AM
The iPad 3G has GPS, that's really the only thing you would be missing out on.

skafia
Apr 30, 2010, 12:00 PM
I've weighed it out. I will only need 3G (and that I really don't need because I have my iPhone) when I'm at work, other than that I have wifi at home or school. So I use MyWi about 2 hours a day max, not worth 15-30 a month ATT charges.

my setup drains about 10% every 30 minutes of usage.

skafia
Apr 30, 2010, 12:02 PM

Surprisingly Google Maps does pinpoint me when tethered. Although it updates location less frequently as 3G.

Cyroceon
Apr 30, 2010, 12:03 PM
Edited for you...:D

Thank you. Greatly appreciated. :)

zub3qin
Apr 30, 2010, 12:03 PM
I just installed the MyWi app (need JB iPhone) and it appears to be working flawlessly. Ran Speed test X HD...downloading at 102.8 KB/s. Looks like I can have my 3G fix if I need it on the go :D

Flawless. Using it now in a hotel room. No internet fees. And the spa is faster than wifi in hotels which is shared with everyone.

Loved using it in he airport and on the airplane this week (while the airplane is still on the ground of course).

I only worry what i am going to do when iPhone 4 comes out. I hope someone gets mywi working with it.

zub3qin
Apr 30, 2010, 12:05 PM

It is not that bad. I get about an hour at least of surfing. But if in a coffee shop or car, i just keep the iPhone plugged in to the charger.

bossxii
Apr 30, 2010, 12:07 PM

A 3G or 3GS iPhone using MyWi also has GPS so your not missing anything except paying more for the device and paying ATT more monthly fees.

Doju
Apr 30, 2010, 12:16 PM
iPad WiFi + 3G = 9 hours of 3G
iPad WiFi + MyWi = 2ish hours of 3G

Decision is clear to me.

Make my iPhone unusable for the rest of the day, have to keep it jailbroken (if the new iPhones have crazy bootroms and can't jailbreak I'm out of luck), and have to boot up an application every time I want to check an email.

I'll pass. $30 is more than worth it.

MT0227
Apr 30, 2010, 12:24 PM
iPad WiFi + 3G = 9 hours of 3G
iPad WiFi + MyWi = 2ish hours of 3G

Decision is clear to me.

Make my iPhone unusable for the rest of the day, have to keep it jailbroken (if the new iPhones have crazy bootroms and can't jailbreak I'm out of luck), and have to boot up an application every time I want to check an email.

The app takes 10 secs to launch and connect..if that

Commmute in = 1hr

Plugged in at work = infinite usage and recharge

Commute out = 1hr

Recharge at home

Start over next morning

Decision is clear to me too ;)

Robbadore64
Apr 30, 2010, 12:24 PM
Sorry to go off topic here but could anyone provide a good guide for jailbreaking the iPhone (link)? I did it with my iPod touch two years ago but haven't with my phone for fear of bricking it since I actually NEED my phone.

I've finally decided to go for it because I'd really like to use the MyWi with my iPad.

I have an iPhone 3G running OS 3.1.3. I've just seen so much info out there on it and I'd like to go down the best path possible.

Thanks,
Robb

MT0227
Apr 30, 2010, 12:27 PM

You mean $130 + $30/mth ;)

I'll ride the MyWi train till it stops.

gatearray
Apr 30, 2010, 12:28 PM
The way Safari reloads pages like a mutha', I don't think the 250mb plan will work so well for most users. In that case, count on the $30 unlimited plan.

After cellular taxes and fees I've been told that the monthly bill here in NYC will be around $45 a month. Ouch!!!

MT0227
Apr 30, 2010, 12:29 PM
Sorry to go off topic here but could anyone provide a good guide for jailbreaking the iPhone (link)? I did it with my iPod touch two years ago but haven't with my phone for fear of bricking it since I actually NEED my phone.

I've finally decided to go for it because I'd really like to use the MyWi with my iPad.

I have an iPhone 3G running OS 3.1.3. I've just seen so much info out there on it and I'd like to go down the best path possible.

Thanks,
Robb

Take a look in the iPhone Hacks section...there should be plenty of stuff there or google redsn0w

MT0227
Apr 30, 2010, 12:30 PM
The way Safari reloads pages like a mutha', I don't think the 250mb plan will work so well for most users. In that case, count on the $30 unlimited plan.

After cellular taxes and fees I've been told that the monthly bill here in NYC will be around $45 a month. Ouch!!!

Lol...I downloaded about 35mb just ****** around for an hour of so voa MyWi

timotheezz
Apr 30, 2010, 01:00 PM
A 3G or 3GS iPhone using MyWi also has GPS so your not missing anything except paying more for the device and paying ATT more monthly fees.

So if I were to use a GPS app on the ipad while tethered to an iphone running mywi, would it really use the iPhone's GPS chip? I dont discount what you are saying.. i guess there's only one way to find out

MT0227
Apr 30, 2010, 01:08 PM
So if I were to use a GPS app on the ipad while tethered to an iphone running mywi, would it really use the iPhone's GPS chip? I dont discount what you are saying.. i guess there's only one way to find out

I will be testing this on my way home form work and report back here. Maps did find me at work but the locaton was not exact, hard to tell if it is using digital compass or GPS.

zub3qin
Apr 30, 2010, 05:48 PM
MyWi'ing now in houston airport. iPhone is plugged into the wall. Im surfing FAST and not chewing up any battery.

And not paying ridiculous wifi charges in the airport for a shared slower connection vs my 3G

I only hope iphone os 4.0 will work with mywi or else I'll hold on updating for a bit.

ipoddude22123
Aug 23, 2011, 04:40 AM
does MyWi work on a ipad WiFi? need it for my ipod