Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeoffP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Hi,

Question to help out us Australians who are importing the 3G iPad.

As we will not have the Micro-Sim available until the end of the month (hopefully), can you activate the 3G iPad minus the Micro-Sim?

Thanks,
Geoff.

GeoffP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
You mean to use it as a WIFI only machine?

Well, at home yes, but that is not my question.

I want to find out if I need a sim inserted into the iPad on the 3G model when I activate it using iTunes.

As we cannot get any micro-sims to probably the end of May, I want to activate the iPad and use it with WiFi now and THEN drop in a micro-sim when I get a plan later in the month.

GeoffP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Basically an iPad 3G without the SIM is the same as a iPad WiFi only.

OK, not having played with any iPad, do you need to activate the WiFi model with iTunes prior to syncing applications.

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks Geoff for answering that question.

Has anyone had success from cutting their sim card into the micro-sim and getting it to work flawlessly?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thanks Geoff for answering that question.

Has anyone had success from cutting their sim card into the micro-sim and getting it to work flawlessly?

Yes it works; someone already did that. All they had to do was change the APN from broadband to phone.

Larrikin

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Hi,

Question to help out us Australians who are importing the 3G iPad.

As we will not have the Micro-Sim available until the end of the month (hopefully), can you activate the 3G iPad minus the Micro-Sim?

Thanks,
Geoff.

I'm also an aussie importing the 3G model.

I'm simply cutting down a pre-paid Telstra SIM to put into my iPad. There are a number of people who have already proven that you can take a regular SIM card and cut it down to the shape of micro sim. See http://modmyi.com/forums/ipad-news/708414-mod-t-sim-work-ipad-3g.html

I bought a Telstra SIM card really meant for a USB stick to get the best Telstra mobile data pricing :) $40 for 1 gig, $50 for 2 gig (for US folk, that is actually not a bad deal in Australian terms).

I basically refuse to put my iPad on any other 3G network in Australia - Optus and Vodafone are too oversubscribed / too slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.