Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Gar,

I bought my 3G iPad last night - got one of the last ones at the Apple Store in Tysons. But - no Apple case! This morning I called the two nearest Apple stores and the two nearest Best Buys - all sold out and no idea when they're getting more in. Anyone in NoVA have any idea where I could get one?

Thanks....

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Honestly, the Apple case isn't that great. It feels icky and fragile. Do yourself a favor and either find a less expensive "knock off" on eBay or a better made 3rd party.

raluke

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
It's a drive but they had Apple iPad cases in stock at the Columbia, Maryland store last night.

gts197

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I had the same issue yesterday in my area. I only checked one store though (we have about 4-5, not including best buys). Hopefully will have some better luck today. We bought two more ipads for my parents and of course my dad had to swipe my apple case cause he needs to more than I do haha.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I was at the Pentagon City release yesterday and they had some in stock.

Belkin is the way to go though.

gts197

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I was at the Pentagon City release yesterday and they had some in stock.

Belkin is the way to go though.

Does the Belkin case have the same kind of stand the apple case does when your on a flat surface for typing? That is one of the main reasons I like the apple case, that and the fact that it's not that bulky.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Does the Belkin case have the same kind of stand the apple case does when your on a flat surface for typing? That is one of the main reasons I like the apple case, that and the fact that it's not that bulky.
There is no stand but you get past that quick. Go to the apple store and test out both and see which one you like best.

For me, typing may be minimally improved with the Apple Case, but I find myself holding the device with both hands and typing with my thumbs. And the belkin grip vue feels more like a skin than a case.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
Honestly, the Apple case isn't that great. It feels icky and fragile. Do yourself a favor and either find a less expensive "knock off" on eBay or a better made 3rd party.

Whereas i respect your opinion, I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I've had the case since day one and it is great. Too each their own I guess.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Whereas i respect your opinion, I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I've had the case since day one and it is great. Too each their own I guess.
It's a decent case. I don't like how the speaker openings don't line up with the iPad speaker or how you can't use the iPad in the dock without altering the case or removing it from the case.

Unfortunately, the next viable alternative, the Macally bookstand is equally difficult to obtain.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Case shortage in Midwest too...

I got the very last one at the Mall of America Apple Store in Minneapolis yesterday! When I told my salesperson I wanted the iPad and case he told me to go over to the register immediately where the cases were and grab one while he went to get the iPad from the back room.....good thing!!! I was so happy that I even fell for the $30 off MobileMe promotion and picked up a renewal.....I've always bought it off eBay at an even bigger discount, but I guess I was just too excited! haha

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Good luck,

I had to order at Apple's website, I ordered it back on April 12th, I just got word yesterday that it shipped and I should be getting it on Tuesday, May 4th..

The local Apple Stores were all sold out since April 12th, I went down to one last week and they had a whole wall full of cases in stock, I was going to buy one but since I already had waited this long I passed on purchasing it..

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I got an InCase (or is it EnCase?) rubberized skin thing at the Reston store, since the Apple case was sold out by 6 p.m.

I'm interested in a case that makes the iPad as easy as possible to hold in one hand. I'm not as interested in a stand, though it's a plus if there's a case that can do both. Any suggestions?

FunkyMonkCP

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Springfield, VA
Gar,

I bought my 3G iPad last night - got one of the last ones at the Apple Store in Tysons. But - no Apple case! This morning I called the two nearest Apple stores and the two nearest Best Buys - all sold out and no idea when they're getting more in. Anyone in NoVA have any idea where I could get one?

Thanks....

There really are no cases around here. This morning I went to the apple fair oaks to see if they had any but they had been sold out since 2:30 yesterday. I'm going to call around 2 today to see if they got any in. I'm not holding my breath though. I'm going on a business trip Monday and don't want to use it naked. Guess I'll get s neoprene case as a last resort.

If any nova stores have any iPad cases in stock, I will let you know.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
The InCase I got is okay, and does include a stand. It doesn't protect the face of the iPad in any way, it's a skin that covers the sides and back. All controls are available. It seems pretty thick and protective, though I still wouldn't want to drop an iPad, since I think the greater size will make it more delicate than a smartphone-sized device. It's $40. My plan is to return it within 14 days and get the Apple case, unless I change my mind in the meantime.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009

Me, too. I love my Apple case. It is slim adds no weight or bulk. To each their own!

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Have been looking for the official as well as incase Book, and MacAlly with ZERO success.

WRONG forum though... Should be in iPad accessories.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
There really are no cases around here. This morning I went to the apple fair oaks to see if they had any but they had been sold out since 2:30 yesterday. I'm going to call around 2 today to see if they got any in. I'm not holding my breath though. I'm going on a business trip Monday and don't want to use it naked. Guess I'll get s neoprene case as a last resort.

If any nova stores have any iPad cases in stock, I will let you know.

I had no luck today either. I called Tysons - none in stock. I called Reston on my way home and they said they had 'a few' left. When I arrived at the store 15(!) minutes later they were all gone. I called Fair Oaks but no dice there. All the local Best Buys are sold out too.

What's strange is that most of the Apple stores are out of iPads too - which means people are hovering around the store picking up the cases as soon as they put them out. Probably like the guy who PMed me to say he bought two cases to sell them on eBay but I could buy one off him. No thanks - people like him are a big part of the frigging problem.....

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
As much people rag on the Apple case they r sold out on every Apple store and BB Ive called today!!! I am rather annoyed:mad:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
On Friday when I was in line waiting for the 3G I was busily typing away on my WiFi iPad, which was in the Apple case. Some man came out of the store, spotted my case, pointed to it and said to me and his wife, "that's it, that is the Apple case, the one I want but they didn't have any available!" Of course only a few hours later when they were selling us the 3G the Apple store then had a few of the cases..... That man should have stuck around, gotten in line!

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
To anyone in the DMV in need of the Apple Case, I will sell you the one I purchased. It's new in box as it hasn't been opened. We can do meet-up at one of the metro stations in the area.

Let me know. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.