Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bosox2009

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
It works... I just tried it. The app apparently thinks the device is an iPod Touch as it displays this message on launch, "Connect to GPS To enable route guidance you need to connect your iPod to an accessory GPS device. We recommend the TomTom car kit."

Hit continue and go. I cannot say whether or not the data plan is required... I have it.

And it is snappy for sure. Looks ok at double size. Maybe I'll duct tape the iPad to my steering wheel? :D

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Well you may not be able to use your iPad while driving but if you have a passenger you could hand the iPad to them. They could navigate for you.

bosox2009

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Well you may not be able to use your iPad while driving but if you have a passenger you could hand the iPad to them. They could navigate for you.

Exactly. The perfect tool for your copilot. GPS was spot-on in my low-density test drive.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
Tomtom on iPad 3G

It seemed to work ok on wifi. The traffic function was not available on wifi. Need to check if it works with 3g on.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Just used tom tom to navigate allover the place. Very accurate and much faster then using the iPhone 4 + GPS. The GPS looses location and signal all the time (using original Tomtom iPhone4 holder) no problems at all with the ipad2.

going to buy a iPad2 holder for car :)

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The iPad 2 has exceptionally better GPS reception than the iPhone 4.

iPad2Navigation.jpg

Last edited:

zelduh

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Los Angeles, California, USA
GPS does not work on 3G without data plan.

It works... I just tried it. The app apparently thinks the device is an iPod Touch as it displays this message on launch, "Connect to GPS To enable route guidance you need to connect your iPod to an accessory GPS device. We recommend the TomTom car kit." . . .

Hit continue and go. I cannot say whether or not the data plan is required... I have it.
A data plan IS required! Such a bummer! I would not have paid so much for my iPad 2 had I known that I could not use the GPS without a data plan.

I would really like to use GPS, but I don't wanna pay for a data plan. :(

Does anyone know if there is a app for using GPS without a data plan??? :confused:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
A data plan IS required! Such a bummer! I would not have paid so much for my iPad 2 had I known that I could not use the GPS without a data plan.

I would really like to use GPS, but I don't wanna pay for a data plan. :(

Does anyone know if there is a app for using GPS without a data plan??? :confused:

I use Navigon on my 3G iPad1. Works fine without data, but you just don't get traffic updates (if you need it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.