Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vocaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Much has been revealed about the new features in Tiger, but the details I've seen mainly revolve around end-user applications: iChat, Safari, Mail, etc. While these are welcome improvements, nothing has been said about the Mac application I use more than any other: Terminal!

Can anybody provide some info on what changes there are (if any) in Tiger's Terminal? I'm thinking mainly of user-interface improvements such as Safari-style tabs. The Preferences panel could use an overhaul, as well. (Yes, I know about other terminals such as iTerm, but I've tried them and found them to be buggy.) Thanks,

Trevor

vocaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
vocaro said:
Can anybody provide some info on what changes there are (if any) in Tiger's Terminal? I'm thinking mainly of user-interface improvements such as Safari-style tabs. The Preferences panel could use an overhaul, as well.

Actually, I just noticed that there is a tiny snippet about the Terminal here, but it says nothing about the user interface, just terminal emulation and encoding.

Trevor

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
If you've ever used Linux, a terminal is a Unix bash prompt just like DOS is. You can develop your own apps, to run in terminal to make it more efficient or better adjusted (considering you know C++ or C or Objective C, basically all the same in style). But I don't think they need an interface upgrade, unless it has buttons where it executes commands for you automatically. The Bash Terminal is just basically an advanced user interface that allows the user to communicate with the system better. I don't think it actually needs any upgrading anywhere. But thats my opinion. Now I know you may already know these things, but for people who read this and say, what the heck? thats for them.

Learn the terminal well people, it'll save your mac.

vocaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
slooksterPSV said:
If you've ever used Linux, a terminal is a Unix bash prompt just like DOS is. You can develop your own apps, to run in terminal to make it more efficient or better adjusted (considering you know C++ or C or Objective C, basically all the same in style).

You're talking about a shell. I'm talking about Terminal.app, the Mac OS X application that hosts a shell (such as bash).

slooksterPSV said:
But I don't think they need an interface upgrade, unless it has buttons where it executes commands for you automatically.

What about tabs? Many other terminals out there (Konsole, GNOME Terminal, etc.) have them. I miss them in Terminal.app. And don't you find the Preferences dialog box confusing? For instance, the Window Settings preferences are separate from the Preferences dialog for no apparent reason.

Certainly I'm not the only one who feels this way, given the advent of GLterm and iTerm.

slooksterPSV said:
The Bash Terminal is just basically an advanced user interface that allows the user to communicate with the system better. I don't think it actually needs any upgrading anywhere.

Well, there is no "Bash Terminal". Bash is a shell, and Terminal.app is completely independent of it: You can use tcsh or C-Shell or whatever shell you want. I'm not talking about upgrading Bash. Bash is fine. I'm talking about upgrading Terminal.app.

So, to make things clear, does anyone know of any improvements in Tiger to Terminal.app (NOT bash)?

Trevor

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
iostream.h said:
is that it has a border now around the bottom and left.

Well, that's a nice addition, IMO.

You can always use iTerm if tabbed terminal windows is what you need/want.

Sukiari

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2004
Tabs? Worthless in the terminal...

GNU screen makes tabs in a terminal worthless. To find out more about screen, type

man screen

into your terminal. Learn a few keystrokes, and be a MUCH happier terminal user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.