PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Display for iMac G5

Jovian9
Sep 28, 2004, 07:24 PM
I recently purchased a G5 iMac (they tried to deliver today but I wasn't home:( )
There is a hack so that you can run dual displays with the iMac that I want to use. My question is: how do I go about hooking this up to a 2nd display? Isn't the mini-vga out on the iMac just for s-video/composite out? Is there an adapter that I'll need to buy to hook this up to another display (besides the Apple compsite/s-video one that runs out of the iMac and mirrors it)?
I'm thinking about buying a used 15" Apple LCD or a 17" Apple CRT to attach this to (possibly a 3rd party CRT if need be). Will these work okay? My wife dabbles in web design and I in video-editing......would a CRT be better to use along side the iMac than an LCD (for calibration issues)?
Thanks for any help.

grapes911
Sep 28, 2004, 07:29 PM
Mirror, Mirror
Make the Joneses keep up with you and your digital life by treating them to a slideshow of your latest vacation photos right on TV. All iMacs offer a mini-VGA plug so you can use the Composite/S-Video adapter to mirror your iMac display on television. You can also mirror your creative output to an external projector via the Apple VGA Display Adapter (adapters sold separately).http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

It is only for Mirroring, unless someone has written a hack. If not, I'm sure someone will soon.

Jovian9
Sep 28, 2004, 07:41 PM
I'm looking at some Apple 15" LCD's and 17" CRT's (clear backs) on eBay. Does anyone have a good idea of what these may be worth?
$200-300 for the LCD?
$75-150 for the CRT?

Or does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks!

ChrisFromCanada
Sep 28, 2004, 08:26 PM
Ok the apple mini VGA on your imac will support composite and S-Video but it will also support VGA. And in order to monitor span (instead of mirror) you will need this hack (http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html) (which does work with the new imacs).

Now about an apple monitor for the LCDs you would need to go VGA -> DVI -> ADC which would be expensive and im not sure if it would work. You would probably be better off getting a nice new 17" monitor from a brand like samsung and just use VGA.

Jovian9
Sep 28, 2004, 08:37 PM
Ok the apple mini VGA on your imac will support composite and S-Video but it will also support VGA. And in order to monitor span (instead of mirror) you will need this hack (http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html) (which does work with the new imacs).

Now about an apple monitor for the LCDs you would need to go VGA -> DVI -> ADC which would be expensive and im not sure if it would work. You would probably be better off getting a nice new 17" monitor from a brand like samsung and just use VGA.

Thanks for the info. I had already downloaded the hack....but I was unsure of the connection part. That helps a lot and should get me going in the right direction. I appreciate it!

rozwell
Sep 29, 2004, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I had already downloaded the hack....but I was unsure of the connection part. That helps a lot and should get me going in the right direction. I appreciate it!
the apple lcd displays use an ADC connection. this all one wire to carry a power, video, and usb signal. So you will need the $100 adapter from apple to use an apple lcd or one of those "clear back" CRTs, because they are also ADC connection. As far as price... i bought a 15" Apple LCD off ebay for $325 includes shipping, and the adapter from apple for $100. If I were you or had my situation to do over... i would just stick with a plain CRT monitor with either dvi or vga connection. unless size is really an issue, of if you care about things matching and looking nice together. as far as calibration goes: You will NEVER EVER get two monitors exactly the same. it can't/won't happen, maybe close but never. i see this all the time at my college. all the mac and most of the pcs have dual diplays, all of the same make and model, and i'll tell you not a single set of those monitors are ever that same.

cluthz
Sep 29, 2004, 07:01 AM
Using a ADC monitor would be expensive on a iMac G5, i would try to get a new LCD display with VGA only connector, they are going cheap.
You can't use the dvi on the imac either...