Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redsand187

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Central Washington State
I'm looking at replacing a 2.5ghz quadcore G5 with a 27" iMac. I am debating between the i5 and the i7 mainly. I am just wondering what how much a performance difference over the G5 there will be, and if the i7 is really worth the extra $. Price isn't a huge issue, but value is. I am leaning towards the i7 as of right now. The computer won't have heavy use, but will occasionally be used with some decent size FCP projects.

Does anyone have any input on the G5 versus the i7?

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Looks like the i7 it is. I wonder if they are going to do any major updates for WWDC.

Possibly. The highest Lynnfield processor goes up to 2.93 GHz so if you think the extra GHz will really benefit you (it's a very minimal difference) I'd say wait. Otherwise, just go for it. There isn't any better GPU options available that can fit in the iMac. The best thing you'd get from waiting is paying a lower price, you won't really be getting much better performance.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
FCP can't utilize more than one core so get the i7, it has higher Turbo. G5 is ancient and any Intel CPU will crush it, especially iXs. It's only 200$ for i7 and you will get that back if you sell it

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
I'm looking at replacing a 2.5ghz quadcore G5 with a 27" iMac. I am debating between the i5 and the i7 mainly. I am just wondering what how much a performance difference over the G5 there will be, and if the i7 is really worth the extra $. Price isn't a huge issue, but value is. I am leaning towards the i7 as of right now. The computer won't have heavy use, but will occasionally be used with some decent size FCP projects.

Definitely go with the i7, but I would keep the G5 because you could use it as a backup if your iMac suddenly implodes.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
it all depends what you really need , i guess in your case a intel mini would be sufficient enough and get a nice big screen for it , safes you money and keep the powermac just in case ;)
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/247312
the iMac is fine , but has its disadvantages if it comes to upgrades
get a used macpro which has its advantages too as far as upgradeability concerns
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/247510

and dont get to focused on pure geekbench results , they are nice to look at ok but then there are other puters which achive a lot more points .....
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/210308

so my best advise is get what your heart tells you , not so much what your brain tells you as thats misleading you , think about what you do most of the time , so why spend hundreds for some more geekbench points if you only need half these points only once in a while , less points does not mean less usable , it only means that the little mac might need a bit more time to do the task

other problem is not all achive the same results even with same spec see here the prime example that all the money spend to get more points can be wasted too of a 27 inch i7 iMac
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/246730

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
it all depends what you really need , i guess in your case a intel mini would be sufficient enough and get a nice big screen for it , safes you money and keep the powermac just in case ;)
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/247312
the iMac is fine , but has its disadvantages if it comes to upgrades
get a used macpro which has its advantages too as far as upgradeability concerns
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/247510

and dont get to focused on pure geekbench results , they are nice to look at ok but then there are other puters which achive a lot more points .....
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/210308

so my best advise is get what your heart tells you , not so much what your brain tells you as thats misleading you , think about what you do most of the time , so why spend hundreds for some more geekbench points if you only need half these points only once in a while , less points does not mean less usable , it only means that the little mac might need a bit more time to do the task

other problem is not all achive the same results even with same spec see here the prime example that all the money spend to get more points can be wasted too of a 27 inch i7 iMac
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/246730

The only reason why that guys i7 iMac scores so low is because he was likely running a lot of crap in the background. Geekbench IS an accurate tool to measure things.

As for that Linux 6 core PC, it says he has 128 GB of RAM. Of course it's going to be higher but you can bet he payed up the ass for that thing.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
The i7 will beat the G5 on pretty much any benchmark, BUT.... the G5 will be able to take more internal hard drive space, if that's important to you.

The G5 is still a great computer, even if it's not cutting edge. It'd also make a great space heater. ;)

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
The i7 will beat the G5 on pretty much any benchmark, BUT.... the G5 will be able to take more internal hard drive space, if that's important to you.

The G5 is still a great computer, even if it's not cutting edge. It'd also make a great space heater. ;)
It's not pretty much, every benchmark the i7 will absolutely trounce the G5 like nobody's business. They're not even comparable.

evilcat

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005

I'm in a similar position. Here are the things I've been pondering.

Disclaimer: You can easily add bigger HDDs to your G5, and even (if you are so inclined) some nice, fast SSD's. $2000 worth of upgrades to your G5 will make a big difference to its perceived speed.

Some things to consider:

Storage: Extra HDD space on the iMac will rely upon external disks using FW800, which is considerably slower than SATA-I as used by the G5. The internal drive on the iMac, however, is SATA-II and theoretically much faster than the internal drives in your G5. Internal upgrades to the iMac storage are difficult, and involve removing the glass. Unless a new revision of the iMac comes along with E-SATA, you're going to see a bottleneck.

Memory: I don't know how much RAM you have in your G5, but I have more in mine than the iMac comes with. You get 4Gb from Apple, and I have 6Gb in mine. RAM makes a big difference to the perceived speed of your Mac, and you're better off in many cases getting $200 extra RAM than a $200 speed bump to your processor. That said, $126 spent at OWC will get you an extra 4Gb RAM, making 8Gb in total so it's not the biggest issue, unless you want to put 16Gb in, at which point you'll pay well above $600.

Cores: How often did you get CPU usage above 200% on your Quad? The i5 and i7 have 4 cores each, just like your G5. If you never pushed the G5's capabilities, then along with the increased efficiency of the Intel chips, the i5 will be more than enough. The i7 appears as 8 cores to OS X and will be more use to you if you do 3D rendering or video. It also has a small speed advantage over the i5, but not a huge one.

Screen: That's a nice big screen. It is, however, glossy. If that's an issue for you because you are light sensitive, or doing colour-accurate work, maybe a different Mac would suit you better,and you can bring your own monitor.

Software: How much software do you need to replace when you move forward an OS revision and move to a new processor? For me, Creative Suite is the first thing, and that will add $700 to my purchase price. My 2004 version of MS Office? Another $130 to replace that. Moving to Toast 10? another $80-ish. Essentially, check all the software you need is Snow Leopard and Intel ready, or you might get bitten.

Peripherals: The same goes for peripherals. That Tiger-compatible scanner may not have new drivers for Snow Leopard and Intel.

Do a little research to be sure, but if you've decided and just want to choose between i5 and i7, Bare Feats recorded the i7 as getting 15-30% better results on average over a bunch of real-life tests. That's got to be worth 10% more cash, because you won't be able to replace the chip later.

Me, I'm hanging on till the revised versions arrive later this year. I'd really like to see E-SATA on the 27" iMac.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
at the end of the day the powermac g5 quad is still a usable computer even by todays standards , and you can esy overcome some of the issues like sata1 by fitting a pci card with sata 2 or esata , and ssd's max out the ram to the max the g5 quad supports (16gb) , you can also upgrade the graphics card too
you could even overclock the g5 's , but then you need airconditioning in your room in summer , in winter the room will be nicely heated up by the g5's northbridge and you safe heating costs ;)

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
at the end of the day the powermac g5 quad is still a usable computer even by todays standards , and you can esy overcome some of the issues like sata1 by fitting a pci card with sata 2 or esata , and ssd's max out the ram to the max the g5 quad supports (16gb) , you can also upgrade the graphics card too

Yep, you may just want to stick to the G5 for the time being unless you need the iMac right away. You never know what may be coming out later this year or next year for the iMac.

Redsand187

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Central Washington State
The G5 has 4gigs of ram and 1tb storage internally, I have 4tb externally, so that's not a big deal.

I am getting frequently and seemingly random kernal panics with the G5. It's nearly 6 years old as well, so I figure it's about time to replace it, rather then try to figure out what is wrong with it, as it could potentially be $$$. I got it and at the time decked it out pretty well and used it for video work with FCP. Nothing really professional, just mainly hobby stuff. I do not use it for much more the internet stuff now, but I still would like to occasionally have the power to work on video and photo projects.

I mainly use my MBP for the bulk of my every day computing, but I still like having a desktop, especially a desktop with some power. I can't really justify getting a new Mac Pro, plus, I'd really like to remove the tower from my desk which the iMac would do. When I set up the G5, it was to the tune of $10,000. I'd much rather buy an iMac for $2,000 or so and then next year a new MBP and then the year after replace the iMac, and so on...

The G5 did last a long time, and for the money it should have. But now, I think the iMac will be more then sufficient, and I can afford to update more frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.