Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Hi
I was wondering if I can buy an iPhone (and add the $30/month to my plan) and then put the sim card into a non smart phone and tell AT&T that I don't have the iPhone and to remove the data portion of the plan, but continue with the service without paying a fee?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advanced for replying. ;)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Hi
I was wondering if I can buy an iPhone (and add the $30/month to my plan) and then put the sim card into a non smart phone and tell AT&T that I don't have the iPhone and to remove the data portion of the plan, but continue with the service without paying a fee?

You must be the first person ever to think of this. :rolleyes:

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
sure...and as soon as you put it back in the iPhone, AT&T would know and you'd be back with the data plan.

Actually, AT & T wouldnt put you back on the data plan I dont think, but they would charge you like $100 per MB

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
Hi

This is the 1,675,349th thread asking this same question:rolleyes:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Brilliant idea!

wileecoyote.jpg

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
Actually, AT & T wouldnt put you back on the data plan I dont think, but they would charge you like $100 per MB

actually they will bump you up to an iPhone plan again. Many claim to know others that have no data plan with an iPhone but that sounds far fetched.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
You can buy an iPhone at no-contract pricing. I did this myself. $700 for the 32GB 3GS, $600 for 16GB. This allows you to use whichever plan you want on AT&T.

AT&T won't let you cancel the data because it is a part of how they pay for your subsidized iPhone. If you buy at the full non-commitment price, you will have no obligation to use a specific plan from AT&T.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

There are multiple posts here from people who removed data to later get a text message from AT&T saying they added it back on. They do network sweeps, and when they see you're using an iPhone with no data plan, they put it back.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I was really hoping this thread would go away, since we've had dozens of them, but it appears it won't. It's really quite simple: a data plan is a requirement of the contract you sign in order to get a subsidized iPhone. If you don't want or can't afford the data plan, either pay the full price for a no-contract iPhone or don't get one. Getting a subsidized iPhone with no intention of complying with the terms of your contract is wrong.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
At&t

has super powers that can tell what kind of phone it is.. :p seriously the sim chip reports to AT&T the make and model phone you are using. ;) try using your buddy phone check your online account very quickly you will see his phone on your acct ect ect.. AT&T thought people might want to rip them off! :eek:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
I was really hoping this thread would go away, since we've had dozens of them, but it appears it won't. It's really quite simple: a data plan is a requirement of the contract you sign in order to get a subsidized iPhone. If you don't want or can't afford the data plan, either pay the full price for a no-contract iPhone or don't get one. Getting a subsidized iPhone with no intention of complying with the terms of your contract is wrong.

I know that AT&T will do a sweep and put back the data plan provided I am using a smart phone. I am saying, if I got rid of the iPhone (sold it, lost it, destroyed it) and wanted to use my old RARZ can I tell AT&T to drop the Data plan since I do not have the iPhone anymore.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I know that AT&T will do a sweep and put back the data plan provided I am using a smart phone. I am saying, if I got rid of the iPhone (sold it, lost it, destroyed it) and wanted to use my old RARZ can I tell AT&T to drop the Data plan since I do not have the iPhone anymore.

Yeah, you can do that, but why? Sounds like a massive waste of money.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah, you can do that, but why? Sounds like a massive waste of money.

It wouldn't be a massive waste of money for me because I'm on a family plan so I only pay $9.99/line and I'll I would have to do is add $30/month. If I needed to get rid of the data plan, I could pop the sim in my Razr, call AT&T to tell them to cancel the data plan, and sell the iPhone.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
could someone explain to me the point of using an iphone WITHOUT a data plan? its stupid...for that just get any touch screen phone...

I agree it's pointless and stupid to want a internet enabled MOBILE device and not want a data plan with it. People want to have their cake and eat it too and if they have enough money to buy a high end smart phone then they should be "smart" enough to understand that a data plan is essential to take advantage of their devices full potential.

I suggest to these people "dumb down to a dumb" phone and as we all know dumb phones are for dumb people :rolleyes:

edit: and my heart doesn't bleed for those who say that they can't afford a $30 data plan. If you cant afford a mere $30 a month then you're doing something drastically wrong in your life and should concentrate in bettering your financial situation. :rolleyes:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I agree it's pointless and stupid to want a internet enabled MOBILE device and not want a data plan with it. People want to have their cake and eat it too and if they have enough money to buy a high end smart phone then they should be "smart" enough to understand that a data plan is essential to take advantage of their devices full potential.

I suggest to these people "dumb down to a dumb" phone and as we all know dumb phones are for dumb people :rolleyes:

What is it with the inability for MR members to see beyond their own noses? Repeat after me, your needs are not everyone's needs. What may not work for you may be a perfect solution for someone else. :rolleyes:

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
What is it with the inability for MR members to see beyond their own noses? Repeat after me, your needs are not everyone's needs. What may not work for you may be a perfect solution for someone else. :rolleyes:

*talk to the hand* And those who's needs differ from mine can take it up with AT&T and explain their sob story of why they don't want a data plan :rolleyes:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Guys it was a simple question. Its not for me, its for someone else. That person wants an iPhone for a little bit to add to his current plan, and then he will be getting a phone from his work later.

It's not for me. I can afford the plan, and so can he. He just doesn't need a an iPhone, Nexus one, or a Blackberry all at the same time.

Jeez, a******

joebobthehob

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
You can buy an iPhone at no-contract pricing. I did this myself. $700 for the 32GB 3GS, $600 for 16GB. This allows you to use whichever plan you want on AT&T.

Not true. *An iphone (any smartphone, for that matter) requires a data plan no matter how it was purchased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.