Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
The Grip Vue is a must if you have kids who are into gaming.

A Leather Folio is a must if you're an important business executive.

Problem is, if you're an important business executive who also has kids into gaming, you're in trouble. Can't be peeling a grip case on/off every day, might as well have no protection at all.

So......what we need is a Folio style case that has the few extra millimeters of space necessary to allow an iPad in it's Grip Vue to slide in/out with ease.

Any ideas? Anyone have a solution?

TIA

BJ

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Are you gonna put your "64GB 3G $829" status symbol sticker on the outside of your case?! :p

Haha just kidding. Seriously though I have not gotten it yet, but have had great experience with SwitchEasy for iPod and iPhone cases, and I ordered the NUDE. I hear it's better quality and thinner than the Belkin, and you also get a lot more bang for your buck with all the included accessories (two stands, etc).

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Are you gonna put your "64GB 3G $829" status symbol sticker on the outside of your case?! :p

Haha just kidding. Seriously though I have not gotten it yet, but have had great experience with SwitchEasy for iPod and iPhone cases, and I ordered the NUDE. I hear it's better quality and thinner than the Belkin, and you also get a lot more bang for your buck with all the included accessories (two stands, etc).

I'm not looking for a replacement for the outstanding Belkin Grip Vue. What I'm looking for is a Folio that's big enough to accommodate the iPad with the Grip still installed.

BJ

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
All I can say is good luck...

I think your chances are rather slim to find a case that will be large enough, or better yet, loose enough to fit an iPad with the Grip Vue. Your best chances are with the leather folios off e-bay. The reason I say that, is any company that puts any effort into the design of their case, isn't going to make it large enough that a bare iPad would slip right out.

I realize that you are looking to replace the Grip Vue, but IMO your only chances of fitting any typing of extra case into a folio would be something like the Nude (or similar slim design case).

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Much love to you, Chupa. Methinks that may be the ticket.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
All I can say is good luck...

I think your chances are rather slim to find a case that will be large enough, or better yet, loose enough to fit an iPad with the Grip Vue. Your best chances are with the leather folios off e-bay. The reason I say that, is any company that puts any effort into the design of their case, isn't going to make it large enough that a bare iPad would slip right out.

Elan_Passport_iPad_open_1.jpg

I think Chup Chup may be correct with the Griffin Elan. Looks like the 4-corner design may work.

Placing my order in a few minutes if I can't locate it at a local dealer.

BJ

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
You may want to do a search on this forum first. There was a user that did a impressions thread and i'm pretty sure they said the fit was pretty tight. I still don't think this will work especially if you have the Grip Vue that goes over the edges/bezel. I could be completely wrong, but just a heads up and my opinion.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
You may want to do a search on this forum first. There was a user that did a impressions thread and i'm pretty sure they said the fit was pretty tight. I still don't think this will work especially if you have the Grip Vue that goes over the edges/bezel. I could be completely wrong, but just a heads up and my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9I8kEK37o

Thank you, and I appreciate the heads-up. Based on this video (above, about halfway through) it looks like the 4-corners are elastic with plenty of 'play', so I'm not concerned about being able to have enough slack there to hold it down.

The concern now is having the front close properly. If there's too much bulk in the spine and the cover won't lay flat, it'll have to be 'trained' to act that way.

I'm looking to pick one up tomorrow if they're for sale at a local retailer, otherwise I'll order one.

BJ

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
The Grip Vue and Griffin case shown above do work well together. I have both and can say they fit well. I don't like using them both together but they do work just fine.

I should mention at first it's a snug fit when closing the cover or flap but it does stretch or close snuggly over the top.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
The Grip Vue and Griffin case shown above to work well together. I have both and can say they fit well. I don't like using tmem both together but they do work just fine.

I should mention at first it's a snug fit when closing the cover or flap but it does stretch or close snuggly over the top.

Thanks! I just spent $38 to overnight this $49 case, so its a relief to know that it'll function well tomorrow when it arrives.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Thanks! I just spent $38 to overnight this $49 case, so its a relief to know that it'll function well tomorrow when it arrives.

BJ

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

It's all good! The Belkin Grip Vue can stay on the iPad all the time and fit into the Griffin Elan Passport folio. Best of both worlds. Kids have easy access to a gripped iPad for gaming, dad has easy access to a professional looking executive folio. And because the Grip Vue is so thin and unobtrusive on the front and edges, no one at work will even know its there.

Makes the folio a tad bulkier, but there's enough play in the spine and corner-connectors to allow the iPad to fit comfortably without interfering with it closing shut, staying open, or blocking any controls.

Thanks to all for their input!

BJ

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Looks great - thanks for the pictures.

I might just have to pick one of these up - minus the $39 overnight shipping fee of course. :eek:

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I'm glad you like it. When I posted that it does work fine I was a little worried I should have done a little better job posting it's a tight fit.

It really does fit snug but it works good. It's not going to fall out or feel insecure that's for sure.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Looks great - thanks for the pictures.

I might just have to pick one of these up - minus the $39 overnight shipping fee of course.

Turns out that Griffin couldn't ship the case for me. They're in Tennessee and are impacted by the flooding. Instead I went to a site called MacMall and they had it at $29.99 + only $14.99 for priority overnight shipping.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Griffin-Carrying-Cases/product~dpno~8061253~pdp.gaiibja

I'm glad you like it. When I posted that it does work fine I was a little worried I should have done a little better job posting it's a tight fit.

It really does fit snug but it works good. It's not going to fall out or feel insecure that's for sure.

It's really good. Thanks again for the recommendation. Those non-elastic edge corner straps are tight at first, but with a little tug they loosen up and allow for easy in/out placement.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Does the Griffin case let you prop the iPad at an angle for typing like the Apple Case does?

Yes it does, but it requires you to position it manually. Doesn't have grooved-slots that hold it at a viewing angle.

Because of the weight of the case and the 'stickiness' of the pleather material, I find that it can adjust to almost any angle for viewing in a home environment. Remains to be seen if it'll be secure enough to prop up on a flight though.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.