Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
http://www.businessinsider.com/google-acquires-3d-desktop-startup-bumptop-2010-5

Google has acquired BumpTop, a startup that designs software that creates a 3D interface for your desktop, the company announced today.
Wellington Financial first reported that the deal had probably occurred, and an announcement on the startup's website now confirms it.
Google has not yet made an announcement, and it's unclear exactly what Google will use BumpTop's technology for. The acquisition is about the tech and perhaps the team, rather than the actual product, which BumpTop says will be discontinued.
Google has a huge pile of cash, and has been making small acquisitions at a steady clip for the past few months.
We'll update when more information is available.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/google-acquires-3d-desktop-startup-bumptop-2010-5#ixzz0mniuaExU

Would this be something for ChromeOS? I can't think of any other uses, especially as the seem to be the end for Mac and Windows versions:
This means that BumpTop (for both Windows and Mac) will no longer be available for sale.

I've tried the free version and it was okay but I don't think I'd have it as a permanent replacement for the default Windows/Mac UI. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I've been using it off and on for a few months.

It's alright. Rough around the edges and rather redundant, but maybe Google will make something truly usable out of it.

Apple's played around with similar ideas in the past via patent applications. Maybe both companies will pursue this sort of 3D paradigm.

broncopde

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
Looks to be incredible publicity for Bumptop. It seems many are downloading it before it's gone as I'm presently downloading it at 3-4KB/s.

LTD, what exactly do you mean by it being redundant? Just that it doesn't add much that's already there in the true desktop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.