Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
This looks like a decent alternative to the Apple case. Anyone have one and care to comment? Or not have one...

link

Also wondering if the lining would scratch the back case.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
This looks like a decent alternative to the Apple case. Anyone have one and care to comment? Or not have one...

link

Also wondering if the lining would scratch the back case.

Looks like a decent "hold-over" case until something better comes along.

Pretty cheap too. I'd want to see one with an iPad inside, to see if all the cutouts match the ipad's inputs, and to also see more pictures of the back. How does the kickstand work?

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
Yes, mine was $8.99 plus $2.99 shipping from Hong Kong. The biggest issue right now is it slides in and out of the case wayyyyy to easy, as in it basically falls out. It is very cheap, and I really don't think it will last that long. I ordered the Apple case online as our Best Buy has been sold out since launch day. If you plan on using this case for the short term, then you might be Ok, but long term, I think you will be disappointed.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, mine was $8.99 plus $2.99 shipping from Hong Kong. The biggest issue right now is it slides in and out of the case wayyyyy to easy, as in it basically falls out. It is very cheap, and I really don't think it will last that long. I ordered the Apple case online as our Best Buy has been sold out since launch day. If you plan on using this case for the short term, then you might be Ok, but long term, I think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll keep looking.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
the best leather case on ebay

So far, the best leather case I found on ebay is this ebay leather case. Since it was the last item from that seller, it sold for $35.00 + 4 shipping. As per the seller, here is getting more in stock this week.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
oops, I just ordered the $10 black one, as a standby, optional case. It says returns accepted for 60 days. most buyers on his feedback really like the case, one mentions it's synthetic, not real leather, which I assumed anyway at that price. but he should state that in the auction.

Dillenger, Is your Ipad naked and more slippery? Mine will have a grippy back film on it, maybe that will help with slippage?

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I bought 4 of them for me, hubby, brother and his girlfriend. Got them for $9.99 with free shipping from a seller in NJ. They came VERY FAST.

They are okay for the price but you get what you pay for. They are cheap and as don't grip onto the iPad all that well. If you use it with the kickstand it WOULD work great if it wasn't for the fact that the iPad slips out the bottom too easily. The kickstand is a bit flimsy too and probably won't hold up over time.

Husband, brother and his girlfriend are all fine with it for now while they wait to see what is coming out over the next month or two. I ended up getting the Apple case.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
Dillenger, Is your Ipad naked and more slippery? Mine will have a grippy back film on it, maybe that will help with slippage?

Yes it is naked, But when I first received this case it fit pretty snuggly, it is over time, of taking it out to sync the iPad and putting it back in the case that the case is getting very loose. I also see that in two short weeks the seams are already starting to fray.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
I think Valextra should get in the game and produce a nice looking and functional case.

Yes it is naked, But when I first received this case it fit pretty snuggly, it is over time, of taking it out to sync the iPad and putting it back in the case that the case is getting very loose. I also see that in two short weeks the seams are already starting to fray.

kloan

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
So far, the best leather case I found on ebay is this ebay leather case. Since it was the last item from that seller, it sold for $35.00 + 4 shipping. As per the seller, here is getting more in stock this week.

I got one of those as well... scored it for $20.50. For the price, it's a nice case. The inside wasn't suede like I was expecting, and the interior leather is a different colour than the brown exterior, but still a pretty nice case.

The seller is actually sending me a black one to compare and to see which one I like better. I might end up keeping the black one and sending the brown one back.

Thetwins

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Just got mine in the mail!

Got this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-Ge...ps=63&clkid=8785156612889885025#ht_1002wt_948
Hope that link works!

I was pleasantly surprised, although, honestly, I can't definitively tell if it's genuine leather. It feels nice, and does smell like leather, though. The only iffy issue is that the iPad slides in from the top, but there's no way to secure it in the case. I can see someone picking it up closed, upside down, and the iPad possibly sliding out. Seems like this is common with these folio types, though. No part of the leather impinges on the active part of the screen (I've read that can be an issue).
The 'kickstand' part will, over time, make an indentation into the cover of the case. It is, though, adjustable, which I didn't expect. All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. I'll prob try to jury rig some Velcro clasp to hold the iPad in at the top. Great price, so i'm pleased.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Are you sure it's real leather since

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Pcs-iPad-Lea...ltDomain_0&hash=item27b0b5c95b#ht_3310wt_1035

looks like the same case and it's "artificial leather"

I got one of those as well... scored it for $20.50. For the price, it's a nice case. The inside wasn't suede like I was expecting, and the interior leather is a different colour than the brown exterior, but still a pretty nice case.

The seller is actually sending me a black one to compare and to see which one I like better. I might end up keeping the black one and sending the brown one back.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA

Let me know how is the black one, I may get one.

What about this one? I'm warming to the whole "folio" look especially as I've ordered a Pogo Sketch as well.

That one looks similar as one, very nice. don't want 20 of them :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.