PDA

View Full Version : Camera Connection Kit Awesomeness!

normwood
May 2, 2010, 07:01 PM
Just wanted to share......

Today we went to an Arboretum and took about 55 photos with our Nikon D80. While my wife drove the family truckster home I popped the SD card out of the D80 and into the Camera Connection Kit, uploaded the photos to my 3g iPad and e-mailed four of them to my parents and my wife's parents. Had responses back from both sets of parents before we completed the 70 mile trip home.

It's also awesome to be able to get instant gratification by being able to view the photos on that awesome screen so quickly.

Good Stuff!

Steve

peetah
May 2, 2010, 07:20 PM
I used mine to preview the images with the client at my last photo shoot. Though it does look a little funny with a CF card in a CF reader connected to the USB connector. But once the photos are in, who cares!

MadDog31
May 2, 2010, 07:21 PM
Good story. I have a friend coming in this week (NYC) to hang out and do some photography...we're going to be taking the iPads and Nikons (mine's a D80, his is a D40x) out on the city to do some day and night photos and it'll be great to have the kits handy to upload stuff to the iPads for quicker viewing when taking breaks.

Only on the third day of having my iPad 3G and REALLY love it. Incredible device that fits my lifestyle perfectly.

Chip NoVaMac
May 2, 2010, 07:54 PM
Really looking forward to getting the Camera Connection Kit now with some of the comments made here so far.... :)

ThoseBackPages
May 2, 2010, 09:44 PM
I wish i could find the damn thing in the store!!! lol

scottness
May 2, 2010, 09:49 PM
I wish i could find the damn thing in the store!!! lol

Same here. They don't have them in stock--or didn't yesterday.

Chip NoVaMac
May 2, 2010, 09:54 PM

2-3 weeks according to the Apple Store online. :(

Makes one wonder about product forecasting at Apple for even the simple things for the iPad! :mad:

Clix Pix
May 3, 2010, 12:24 AM
I was not surprised to be told at two different Apple stores this weekend that, nope, no camera connection kits available. Hot item!!

scottness
May 3, 2010, 06:39 AM
I was not surprised to be told at two different Apple stores this weekend that, nope, no camera connection kits available. Hot item!!

Especially after we find out we can do more than just transfer photos.

Chupa Chupa
May 3, 2010, 08:19 AM
Makes one wonder about product forecasting at Apple for even the simple things for the iPad! :mad:

I don't think it has to do w/ product forecasting as much as hardware testing. Apple probably did not want to send the kit to production until the iPad itself had been approved and they could test with a production iPad unit rather.

stagi
May 4, 2010, 02:05 PM
Finally got mine the other day, it is nice to store things while shooting on location but does have some limitations (for me I wish it would play video files you import and work with non powered CF readers).

I put a review up online here:

iPad Camera Connector Kit Review (http://digitalphotobuzz.com/ipad-camera-connector-kit)

advan031
May 4, 2010, 02:47 PM
It is indeed awesome! It handles my D700 NEF files and LX3 raw files. It also plays videos that were shot from the LX3.

bjobes
May 4, 2010, 03:04 PM
I ordered mine last week and got them yesterday even when the site said 2-3 weeks.

traveller09
May 4, 2010, 03:20 PM
While using the Apple Camera Kit can you view pictures and videos from the SD card without importing the media files? In other words can you use it as an external hard drive, so to speak, to view media from? I emailed the folks at Zoomit and they indicated to me that their product could be used in that way. Importing the files is nice but it is even better if you don’t have to import them, instead view them right off the card.

Sorry one other question, when you add photos to your iPad from the Camera Kit, can the photos be deleted from the iPad itself or do you have to connect to iTunes to delete them?

http://www.zoommediaplus.com/

http://www.zoomitonline.com/faq.html

traveller09
May 4, 2010, 03:23 PM
Finally got mine the other day, it is nice to store things while shooting on location but does have some limitations (for me I wish it would play video files you import and work with non powered CF readers).

I put a review up online here:

iPad Camera Connector Kit Review (http://digitalphotobuzz.com/ipad-camera-connector-kit)

Ha…my work firewall stopped me from going to your website due to “inappropriate material”! I will have to check it out at home.

Salsero58
May 4, 2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry one other question, when you add photos to your iPad from the Camera Kit, can the photos be deleted from the iPad itself or do you have to connect to iTunes to delete them?

Yes you just delete them right on iPad. Did this the other day on a business trip. I pick up the camera kit at the Galleria Mall in Ft Lauderdale FL. I had my iPad & SD card with me at the Apple store. Downloaded photos to iPad, emailed some out then deleted the ones I did not send. System works great.

MigsVuitton
May 4, 2010, 03:48 PM
How do you get the images off the iPad to a computer? More concerned about getting the raw files?

Bob Chadwick
May 4, 2010, 03:50 PM
I've got two of them. I purchased one on-line and while I was waiting they showed up at the Apple Store. Make a long story short, I have two and will sell the extra for my cost of $31.03 (tax), Paypal costs and shipping. Otherwise it's going back to the Apple Store tomorrow.

justagrl95
May 4, 2010, 05:03 PM
When you import photos directly to the iPad using this camera connector, do you lose any photo quality? Does the iPad try to "optimize" the photos for the iPad?

Briannbmore
May 4, 2010, 05:22 PM
I've got two of them. I purchased one on-line and while I was waiting they showed up at the Apple Store. Make a long story short, I have two and will sell the extra for my cost of $31.03 (tax), Paypal costs and shipping. Otherwise it's going back to the Apple Store tomorrow.

May I purchase one?

Dammit Cubs
May 4, 2010, 05:32 PM

if you are in chicago. The woodfield store in schaumburg, Il has about 30 camera kits. I just forgot to pick one up. I was more amazing with the 100+ Apple Ipad cases they had.

Bob Chadwick
May 4, 2010, 07:10 PM
May I purchase one?

Send me an email with your address and I'll get the shipping quote.

Chip NoVaMac
May 4, 2010, 07:39 PM
I don't think it has to do w/ product forecasting as much as hardware testing. Apple probably did not want to send the kit to production until the iPad itself had been approved and they could test with a production iPad unit rather.

You might be right there. But Apple may need to better plan on the approval stage and production of things like the connecter maybe. But that does not fly so well for the likes of the Apple iPad case though.

normwood
May 4, 2010, 08:22 PM
When you import photos directly to the iPad using this camera connector, do you lose any photo quality? Does the iPad try to "optimize" the photos for the iPad?

I don't believe so. It does when you email them from the iPad though.

Steve

Briannbmore
May 5, 2010, 02:48 PM
Send me an email with your address and I'll get the shipping quote.

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't know you responded. Still available?

Bob Chadwick
May 5, 2010, 02:58 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Didn't know you responded. Still available?

Sorry.

teerexx52
May 6, 2010, 06:47 AM
The kit doesn't work with the apple case on. Any kind of extension cable for it?

ImaVeggie
May 6, 2010, 07:34 AM
I use mine with the Apple Case on with a little jiggling of it.

h00ligan
May 6, 2010, 07:40 AM
I don't believe so. It does when you email them from the iPad though.

Steve

True but at least the default is 3 mp not 800x480 or whatever iPhone does!

normwood
May 6, 2010, 11:20 AM

Ditto!

Steve

bpd115
May 6, 2010, 02:18 PM
ordered mine on April 24th with an estimated ship of May 17th.

It was delivered on May 3rd.

teerexx52
May 6, 2010, 02:20 PM

Yep! Ok that works

jerkstore99
May 6, 2010, 02:26 PM
Can you connect a Flip video camera to import video?