PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet lost when G4 mini wakes

bkspero
May 2, 2010, 07:12 PM
I've been using a G4 mini running 10.4.11 for web surfing, email, and document scanning for about 4 years with few issues. Recently, though, it loses its wired ethernet connection when I wake it from sleep. No ethernet device appears in Network Preferences/Network Status, and Network Utility shows the ethernet connection as "inactive".

If I disconnect the ethernet cable for a few seconds and then reconnect it, the ethernet connection reappears in Network Preferences, goes "active" in Network Utility, and functions normally.

Once ethernet reappears, I can wiggle, tug, and disconnect/reconnect the cable and maintain the connection. The cable works normally with another computer. So it doesn't seem to be a hardware connection issue.

The network has 2 other wired computers attached with no issues (an old homemade PC and a Mac Pro) and several other devices via both wired and wireless connections. So I don't think it is a router or dhcp issue.

I don't recall installing any new software, although I install all Apple updates (including iTunes) when they become available.

Any thoughts what could be causing this behavior, and how to correct it? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

bkspero
May 3, 2010, 04:42 PM
Try this one may be it helps you to solve out your query first do away with the drive,after turn the drive off or hot swapping it and shuting down . I faced like wise same problem and I solved it this way.

Hi, VeronicaCarter, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand your instructions, though. To what drive are you referring? The only drives connected to this computer are the internal hard drive and internal CD RW/DVD Rom drives. Are you suggesting that I open up the case and disconnect them. Then reconnect them and turn the computer back on? Or did I mislead you into thinking that I had an external drive connected to this computer and you are suggesting that I disconnect such a drive, if I had one?

Thanks again for responding.