PDA

View Full Version : Is a screen cover necessary for an iPad?

NateEssex
May 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
I have always had a screen protector on my iPhone, but I remember reading that it's not necessary for the iPad. Is that true? What if drops of liquid get on the screen? Will there be damage?

If one is needed, can anyone recommend one please?

appleguy123
May 2, 2010, 08:26 PM
I have a few scratches on mine. Ymmv

ExJ
May 3, 2010, 12:51 AM
I examined the iPad's at the Apple Store near by and noted each had a few scratches. Not huge deep scratches.. but not would I call micro-scratches you see on say a Blackberry.

I recommend getting a screen protector. I grabbed a ZAGG one from BestBuy a week or so ago and it definitely helps with fingerprints -- I don't even see any on my iPad and I rarely wipe off the screen. I do wash my hands often though.

xraytech
May 3, 2010, 01:39 AM
I have always had a screen protector on my iPhone, but I remember reading that it's not necessary for the iPad. Is that true? What if drops of liquid get on the screen? Will there be damage?

If one is needed, can anyone recommend one please?

It's true, Apple does not recommend screen overlays. Plain water and microfiber is sufficient for cleaning. And for most people, no, screen overlays are not necessary.

I use a screen overlay to minimize finger prints and glare. And in improves the tactile feel of the screen.

I use Power Support Anti-Glare.

BossHogg
May 3, 2010, 05:27 AM
Heavy user since launch and no scratches yet (knock on wood). I use the Apple case and that might help minimize scratch opportunities.

teerexx52
May 3, 2010, 08:06 AM
I have tried a few. NuVue from OWC worked very well and is only $9.99

bhsu21
May 3, 2010, 09:27 AM
You don't need one but it's just personal preference. it's easier to get fingerprints on it w/o a screen protector and that's why I like to use one. Also to protect from scratches.

NateEssex
May 3, 2010, 05:09 PM
You don't need one but it's just personal preference. it's easier to get fingerprints on it w/o a screen protector and that's why I like to use one. Also to protect from scratches.

Which protector?