Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bina12834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
i currently have a 3G and ill be preordering the 4G to get it on launch day. My question is what to do when i get it. Do i just plug it into my computer and it will automatically sync all my contacts, apps, pics, music, etc. that were on my 3G to the 4G? Will it automatically disable my 3G and transfer my AT&T contract and everything to the 4G?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Your service is tied to your SIM card, so if you put your old sim into the 4G, you will have service.

All the contacts/apps/music etc will get synced to your new phone if you restore it from a backup.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Your service is tied to your SIM card, so if you put your old sim into the 4G, you will have service.

All the contacts/apps/music etc will get synced to your new phone if you restore it from a backup.

Incorrect. The phone can be setup and should be setup from new allowing iTunes to sync contacts calanders etc.

gdlcjr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
I thought you can just create a backup of your old 3g. and when you get the new phone restore it from the backup.

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
now I'm confused. Will I restore it from my 3G backup and will I treat it like a brand new device and synch it to iTunes as such?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Incorrect. The phone can be setup and should be setup from new allowing iTunes to sync contacts calanders etc.

Sorry, you're right.

I thought he wanted to have save his SMS and other data that doesn't get stored on your computer unless backed up.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

Totally false.

Since this is a new major upgrade of the OS (i.e., 4.0 from 3.0+), it is recommended that you restore and setup as new. Since you're "supposed" to have your stuff synced, it is fairly easy to move your stuff to the 4G, or whatever it's called.

That being said, you don't have to restore as new. You could restore from a backup and then have to sync music, etc. (this would be important for those having game saves they don't want to lose, since the backup is the only thing containing game saves and app settings). However, you risk the 4G not running right (they had issues with the 3GS battery when upgrading from 2.2.1).

Remember to copy your iPhone pics in the camera roll to your computer, if you're going to setup as new (the backup contains these also).

bina12834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
thanks for the replies everyone. im just talking about what will happen when i take my SIM card out of my 3G, put it in my 4G and then stick my 4G in the dock hooked up to my computer. what will itunes do? will it automatically sync the music that i had set to sync to my 3G to my 4G, as well as all the apps that i have on my 4G? What about the pics that i have on my 3G....what will happen to them? All i want is to basically have all the pics, apps and music thats currently on my 3G to be on my 4G when i get it.....what do i have to do for that?

bina12834

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
for some reason im not sub'd to this thread so thats what this post is....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.