PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Clear Screen Protectors (SGP, PS, etc)

orlandocano
May 3, 2010, 09:05 AM
I apologize for starting what seems to be the 100th sreen protector thread. But every thread I have visited seems to only talk about the anti fingerprint, anti glare screen protectors.

I bought an SGP AntiFingerprint protector based on something I read on these threads. Turns out, it made my screen blurry and washed out!! I came back to the same thread after I installed the film and it seems like everyone is experiencing the same thing I did! :mad:

There is another thread about the Power Support Anti Glare. It includes a preliminary review from iLounge. Again, it mentiones that the visual quality of the ipad screen is diminished and that colors look a bit washed out and not as crisp. Although most seem to think that this screen protector is better than the SGP i bought...

So here is the question.. Both these companies have a crystal clear option.. But no one seems to be talking about those. Has any of you purchased the crystal clear screen protector???

If so, what are the pros and cons???...

Seems to me that the only benefit is protection against scratches... but not glare, fingerprints, etc...

Im stuck between trying the Power Support Anti-Glare vs One of the crystal clear offerings...

Dorkington
May 3, 2010, 09:17 AM
IMO, there really is no point of a "screen protector" on glass. You really have to go after the iPad intentionally to scratch it's screen. So much so that whatever motion that is would probably damage your protector and screen anyways.

The Anti Glare films are just that... meant for anti glare... if you don't care about glare (hah! rhyme!) then don't worry about getting a screen protector. :)

dread
May 4, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'm interested in the crystal protectors as well any opinions are welcome. Anyone using the sgp full body protection

rkdiddy
May 4, 2010, 02:53 PM
I'm interested in the crystal protectors as well any opinions are welcome. Anyone using the sgp full body protection

You should check out my post regarding SGP here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=910429

I would stick to PowerSupport. :cool:

iPad1iPad
May 4, 2010, 03:17 PM
posted this on a recent thread...

I have the PowerSupport Crystal version for the iPad and I love it! It cuts down on some of the glare and the fingerprints aren't quite as noticeable. You do still have to clean the screen with a microfiber cloth every once and a while, but no big deal.

What I like about it is that it fits the iPad perfectly and it gives the screen a nice smooth feel (my fingers slide better on the screen protector than they do the raw glass). Plus, I am very confident that the screen is protected from scratches and wear of the olephobic coating (according to the iPad User Guide this coating dimishes over time).

Installing the screen protector was a little more difficult than the one for my iPod Touch due to the size. With the iPad version, they do not provide the pre-application sheet to remove lint, hair or dust, so you will need to install it after a good microfiber cloth cleaning and in good lighting (save yourself time and check for any dust before you apply the screen protector). Last second dust or lint that falls on the glass before the screen protector is applied can be removed by peeling back the screen protector to the problem spot and using a rolled piece of transparent (Scotch) tape to remove the dust (just follow the instructions that come with the screen protector!). Bubbles easily work their way out by applying slight pressure and pushing them to the edge. After about 10 minutes, my protector was on and clean of any dust or bubbles. Can't even tell it is on!

Mshilling
May 4, 2010, 03:56 PM
I bought a 3 pack of clear protectors from hhi for like 10 shipped and they are great. They are generic Chinese made protectors that look and feel exactly like the iPad glass but protect it. As for those who say you have to go out of your way to scratch It, I am on my 2nd ipad because I got a scratch on the first and i baby it. I would highly recommend it. I have no screen protector on my iPhone and it sits inn my pocket with keys and everything and has no scratches but the iPad was scratched only counter just sitting there. A few bucks is great insurance.

tbayrgs
May 4, 2010, 04:15 PM
I haven't used a PS crystal on the iPad but I previously used one on my iPhone and didn't really see the benefit--still had bad glare and fingerprints. I use their antiglare sp and while they do slightly reduce screen brilliance, I've never had an issue with clarity and the benefits (virtually no fingerprints and much diminished glare) far outweigh the cons, but as always YMMV.

I'm currently using a SGP AF on my iPad and it's performance is basically identical as the PS antiglare on my iPhone--very pleased with the results.

teerexx52
May 4, 2010, 04:23 PM
NuVue from OWC is on mine. Painless and works fine. $9.95

dread
May 4, 2010, 04:40 PM
I would have gone with power support but they are not available on amazon and I have a gift card so I ordered the sgp full body protection. I hope it goes well or I will be pissed.