PDA

View Full Version : g3 firewire disappeared!

uvex
Sep 29, 2004, 08:22 AM
my g3 firewire was working fine, then all of a sudden quit. I heard that running an ipod (since the g3 doesn't supply power thru firewire) can wreck your firewire? Is this true? Can it be fixed? I just bought 1 gb of RAM for this thing and a new video card, so I would like to avoid buying a pci card if possible..I did a pram reset, reinstalled the OS, and am all out of ideas....any help would be appreciated. Thanks

rainman::|:|
Sep 29, 2004, 09:30 AM
Unplug any FW devices, shut your computer down, and leave it overnight. Restarting or even reinstalling won't reset your FW bus unless nothing is plugged in. Any G3 with FW that I can think of does indeed supply power, how have you been charging it otherwise? Does it not charge when plugged in? It should do this even if the computer won't recognize it. If not, your FW bus is probably blown...

But no, plugging the iPod in won't cause any damage, even to a non-powered bus. However iPods can conflict with other FW devices, do you have anything else plugged in? External HD, etc?

paul

grapes911
Sep 29, 2004, 10:07 AM
When you shut it down, make sure you unplug the power source.

uvex
Sep 29, 2004, 10:18 AM
Unplug any FW devices, shut your computer down, and leave it overnight. Restarting or even reinstalling won't reset your FW bus unless nothing is plugged in. Any G3 with FW that I can think of does indeed supply power, how have you been charging it otherwise? Does it not charge when plugged in? It should do this even if the computer won't recognize it. If not, your FW bus is probably blown...

But no, plugging the iPod in won't cause any damage, even to a non-powered bus. However iPods can conflict with other FW devices, do you have anything else plugged in? External HD, etc?

paul
Thanks for the reply. I also (besides the ipod) had a firewire HD attached, it won't recognize either.

The two devices worked fine before, I will try unplugging one of them. It does in fact charge the ipod when plugged in...strange, I didn't even think of that attribute.....

I shut the computer down overnight (last night), it didn't seem to do anything, is there a command that resets firewire?