PDA

View Full Version : iPod trouble

yippy
Sep 29, 2004, 09:40 AM
Twice now, when I have connected my 3G iPod to my mac, instead of mounting right away, the iPod screen shows a CD icon with a magnifying glass looking at it. There is also a prograss bar at the bottom of the screen. It stay like this if I unplug it, I have to wait till it is done before I can use it again.

Does anyone know what it is doing and why? Thanks.

earthtoandy
Sep 29, 2004, 10:47 AM
does it mount at all though? have you tried it on another computer and if so did that do the same thing?

RBMaraman
Sep 29, 2004, 11:21 AM
From the Apple website support site:

These icons all relate to built-in diagnostic software that checks the hard disk for damage and tries to repair it if necessary. The checkmark indicates all is well with your iPod.

A diagnostics test is being performed on your iPod. Nothing is wrong. My 2G iPod does it occasionally as well. It's simply a self-check test.

PeterBonnar
Sep 29, 2004, 11:22 AM
It's doing a hardrive check... this is pretty normal... just plug it in to the power and let it go through the motions.

The iPod has this check if it thinks somethign is wrong, it'll let you know if its broke etc. It should happen ever so often, mine does it about once every three months. If this is the case with you its nothing to worry about.

If it is happening everytime then its something to worry about and you might want to contact apple.