PDA

View Full Version : 'Spirit' Jailbreak Tool for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch Released

MacRumors
May 3, 2010, 03:59 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/03/spirit-jailbreak-tool-for-ipad-iphone-and-ipod-touch-released/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/05/03/165905-cydia_icon.jpg

Over the weekend, a new jailbreaking tool known as "Spirit" (http://spiritjb.com/) was released, offering users the ability modify their iPhone OS devices to run third-party applications not approved or distributed by Apple. Notably, Spirit is compatible with all three iPhone OS devices: iPhone, iPod touch, and now Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G iPad models. Spirit also offers an untethered jailbreaking solution, allowing users to restart their jailbroken devices as necessary without the need for a computer to assist with the booting process.

In addition to the usual jailbreaking caveats regarding Apple's disapproval (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743) of the process and the possibility of unexpected behavior requiring the user to restore his or her device, Spirit's author notes that the iPad jailbreak remains in beta form and that certain application packages can cause problems for users' devices.

Spirit is a jailbreaking tool only, and does not unlock locked iPhones for use on other carriers than those officially supported by Apple. It does, however, install Cydia, the popular application store where users can obtain apps for jailbroken devices.

Article Link: 'Spirit' Jailbreak Tool for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch Released (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/03/spirit-jailbreak-tool-for-ipad-iphone-and-ipod-touch-released/)

3N16MA
May 3, 2010, 04:02 PM
How long until everyone starts getting free books from the iBooks store?

motulist
May 3, 2010, 04:02 PM
That was fast. Though not overly unexpected considering that the iPad OS is basically the same as the iPhone.

maceleven
May 3, 2010, 04:04 PM
will this work for the iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 ???

junior
May 3, 2010, 04:06 PM

Just click on the link and it's right there. Yes.

ItsGavinC
May 3, 2010, 04:08 PM

Documentation says it does work, for 3.1.3, as well as 3.2 (iPad).

ThunderSkunk
May 3, 2010, 04:10 PM
Nice name.

I do wonder if iPhone apps will work on iPad, or if (aside from UI) the iPad will require its own written apps.

iomar
May 3, 2010, 04:11 PM
Nice, just yesterday I was looking to Jailbreak my phone. :)

maceleven
May 3, 2010, 04:12 PM
is there Any Instructions on how to Do this?

Doctor Q
May 3, 2010, 04:13 PM
I like the informal style of their notice:
On iPad, all this is still sort of beta.

Abyssgh0st
May 3, 2010, 04:14 PM
Does this jailbreak contain Rock? I read the site but didn't see anything about it.

Mal
May 3, 2010, 04:16 PM
Holy freakin' crap, that works quick! I plugged in my iPod, hit "Jailbreak", and it whirred for second and my iPod restarted, already jailbroken!

If it's stable, then I'm going to be very impressed.

jW

EDIT: is there Any Instructions on how to Do this?
Look at the beginning of my post. Not that it requires any instructions...

FrankieTDouglas
May 3, 2010, 04:19 PM
Works perfectly on a 3.1.3 3GS!

BlindGoldfish
May 3, 2010, 04:21 PM
Would this allow for tethering?

Scooterman1
May 3, 2010, 04:22 PM
It's always good to have an alternative....... especially since Apple don't want to give any.

taeclee99
Anyone else having a problem with their map app after the jb?
It fails to locate me now.

brendon2020
great, can't wait to get home to do this. Missing tethering on my iphone.

maceleven
May 3, 2010, 04:23 PM
I have installed it now how do i install the tethering App?

MacRumorUser
May 3, 2010, 04:26 PM

? There are plenty of free books on the iBooks store. ;)

iomar
May 3, 2010, 04:27 PM

I would like to know how to do this also. Besides tethering what is another good reason to jailbreak?

knewsom
May 3, 2010, 04:29 PM
I would like to know how to do this also. Besides tethering what is another good reason to jailbreak?

p0rn...? I dunno, been wondering that myself.

rusty2192
May 3, 2010, 04:32 PM
Well, that just killed the resale value of my early 3GS. The market just got flooded with many more jailbreakable phones. Oh well, at least mine is still able to be unlocked, and now I can jailbreak my iPad if I ever want to.

(not entirely serious, but partly fwiw)

Mal
May 3, 2010, 04:33 PM
Couple good reasons to jailbreak I've found:

Themes (some really nice ones out there, I'm a fan of Buuf2)
Quick Application launchers (although many of these need updates yesterday)
Apps that Apple disallows

Bad reasons to jailbreak:

Stealing apps
Just because

One thing to keep in mind is that jailbreaking certainly can cause your iPhone/iPod to be less stable. I've found that to be the case sometimes, though it depends on the apps I've installed. Anything that doesn't function like a normal app, but can be accessed while using another app, or that modifies another app, has the potential to decrease stability. Don't jailbreak unless you are willing to take the risk, and preferably can troubleshoot such issues yourself.

jW

pazimi
May 3, 2010, 04:34 PM
I have a 3rd gen, 64GB iPod touch with firmware 3.1.2 installed and i've ALREADY jailbroken my pad with blackra1n. ( and I have a MBP, for that matter )

I don't want to screw anything up, 'cause I don't have time right now to fix it (in case anything goes wrong). so, I wanted to ask you WHICH SCENARIO IS MORE LIKELY TO WORK?

1. I let iTunes to download 3.1.3 and restore the device ( I don't care about contents of my iPod ).
2. Just download 'Sprint' and hit the button.

OR

1. to download the 'iPod3,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw' manually, then install it through iTunes ( by holding option when clicking on 'Restore' Button. and of course the iPod is in DFU mode ).
2. Run 'Sprint'.

???

thanks in advance.

koruki
May 3, 2010, 04:34 PM
Was released late yesterday. Yes it works with 3.1.3, friend has tried on his phone.

Mal
May 3, 2010, 04:37 PM
I have a 3rd gen, 64GB iPod touch with firmware 3.1.2 installed and i've ALREADY jailbroken my pad with blackra1n. ( and I have a MBP, for that matter )

I don't want to screw anything up, 'cause I don't have time right now to fix it (in case anything goes wrong). so, I wanted to ask you WHICH SCENARIO IS MORE LIKELY TO WORK?

1. I let iTunes to download 3.1.3 and restore the device ( I don't care about contents of my iPod ).
2. Just download 'Sprint' and hit the button.

OR

1. to download the 'iPod3,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw' manually, then install it through iTunes ( by holding option when clicking on 'Restore' Button. and of course the iPod is in DFU mode ).
2. Run 'Sprint'.

???

thanks in advance.

If you're already jailbroken, don't do anything (unless you are having problems or just want to tinker).

If you really want to use Spirit (it's not called 'Sprint'), then definitely restore to a fresh Apple system, then jailbreak using Spirit.

A warning about my earlier optimism, my iPod never finished restarting, and I have not gotten it back up and running just yet.

jW

mansanas
May 3, 2010, 04:40 PM
just to be 100% sure... jailbreaking IS REVERSIBLE right???

rwilliams
May 3, 2010, 04:40 PM

Yes. Just connect to iTunes, click Restore, and when it's done, your jailbreak will be gone.

runeasgar
May 3, 2010, 04:41 PM
I really think MacRumors should stop covering jailbreaking, especially giving publicity to newly released jailbreaking methods.

Like it or not, the majority of people who jailbreak also pirate applications.

I'd be fine if people just wanted interface features, wallpaper and tethering.. but I have friends who develop for the iPhone, and I have enough friends who have jailbroken their iPhones to know why they do it.

Ultimately, those of us who pay for applications are going to suffer because of the people who don't. Companies will take more and more extreme measures to protect their software, and while thieves will continue to find ways around it, everyday people will pay for their jailbreakers' misguided idealism.

Habakuk
May 3, 2010, 04:41 PM
Security advice!
Please read my sig if you want to install and activate OpenSSH after jailbreak.

Invis
May 3, 2010, 04:42 PM
3G, 3.1.3

Took longer to restart the iPhone than it did to jailbreak it.

All I'm wondering is how to restore to get rid of the jailbreak should I want to undo what I just did.

Legolover64
May 3, 2010, 04:43 PM
Rock and roll on this jailbreak! Note to iPad users - installing Activator will actually make Voice Control work if you set it up in Settings! I've tried it and it works great!

goughbradley
Yup. I jailbreak for one app, Lockinfo. I've had to take it into the apple store because the home button stopped working. I just restored it to the latest firmware from apple and they exchanged the phone no problem

Phatcat73
You can be certain Apple will release 3.1.4 & 3.2.1 within the next 24 to 48 hrs to patch the jailbreak hole.

dagamer34
May 3, 2010, 04:44 PM

Nearly all jailbreaks are reversible because they are software based. They don't touch the hardware. The only real problem I could for see is any app that messes with the boot loader to the point where thephonr cannot be put into recovery mode to reload original firmware. A few of the older jailbreaks had this rare problem.

Other than that, a jailbreak is rather harmless. Just restore to a fresh firmware before taking your phone to an apple store. Apple will not touch your phone with a ten foot pole if you still have jail broken apps on your phone.

maceleven
May 3, 2010, 04:45 PM
How Do i Tether After the install of spirit?

transmaster
May 3, 2010, 04:46 PM
Nice name.

I do wonder if iPhone apps will work on iPad, or if (aside from UI) the iPad will require its own written apps.

All app's that work on the iPhone/Touch will work on the iPad. The only thing you will see is it will not expand to fit the larger screen very well.

I can understand jailing breaking an iPhone if you want to use it with another phone service but a Touch? I thought about trying it but I decided I just would not gain anything by doing it. Having said that I am going to purchase a 64 gig Touch in a few weeks and I might try it with the one I presently have just to see how it works. :)

mrgstiffler
May 3, 2010, 04:46 PM
Does this jailbreak wipe your phone? Or are the apps and data still there?

RalfTheDog
May 3, 2010, 04:47 PM
I can't get tethering to work on my iPod Touch. I know I am missing something fundamental.

dagamer34
May 3, 2010, 04:47 PM
iPhone 3GS + MiWi + iPad + morphie juice pack = bubble of Internet browsing bliss.

rwilliams
May 3, 2010, 04:51 PM

I'd be fine if people just wanted interface features, wallpaper and tethering.. but I have friends who develop for the iPhone, and I have enough friends who have jailbroken their iPhones to know why they do it.

Can you prove this? Just because you have a bunch of thieving friends doesn't mean that the rest of us are the same way. I know why I jailbreak, and pirating applications is not part of the reason.

BeSweeet
May 3, 2010, 04:52 PM
For the tethering hack, you'll have to manually patch CommCenter, as Spirit doesn't do that (redsn0w 0.9.2 and up is the only jailbreaking tool that does this). Go here to do that: gumballtech.com/2010/02/01/enable-tethering-on-3-1-2-on-iphone-3g3gs/

It'll be easier to install MyWi from Cydia.

Any other questions?

As for piracy: Who cares. Its been around forever, and isn't showing any sign of stopping. Why fight it? Apparently Apple isn't.

To whoever said all jailbroken apps on the iPhone will work on the iPad: wrong. Lots of stuff are broke (such as Winterboard).

Mr. Gates
May 3, 2010, 05:00 PM
Any known Unlock yet ?

Crackbone
May 3, 2010, 05:01 PM
I really think MacRumors should stop covering jailbreaking, especially giving publicity to newly released jailbreaking methods.

Ultimately, those of us who pay for applications are going to suffer because of the people who don't. Companies will take more and more extreme measures to protect their software, and while thieves will continue to find ways around it, everyday people will pay for their jailbreakers' misguided idealism.

Uh, that's a tad bit shortsighted.

Personally I jailbreak for backgrounding/multitasking.

IMO, it's pretty sad you equate getting root access on a gadget to the root of all evil.

mrgstiffler
Does this jailbreak wipe your phone? Or are the apps and data still there?

To answer my own question... Nope. It does not wipe your phone.

maceleven
For the tethering hack, you'll have to manually patch CommCenter, as Spirit doesn't do that (redsn0w 0.9.2 and up is the only jailbreaking tool that does this). Go here to do that: gumballtech.com/2010/02/01/enable-tethering-on-3-1-2-on-iphone-3g3gs/

It'll be easier to install MyWi from Cydia.

Any other questions?

As for piracy: Who cares. Its been around forever, and isn't showing any sign of stopping. Why fight it? Apparently Apple isn't.

To whoever said all jailbroken apps on the iPhone will work on the iPad: wrong. Lots of stuff are broke (such as Winterboard).

do i reload spring board?

runeasgar
May 3, 2010, 05:02 PM
Can you prove this? Just because you have a bunch of thieving friends doesn't mean that the rest of us are the same way. I know why I jailbreak, and pirating applications is not part of the reason.

These semantic arguments get very tiresome..

Do you really think that there would be so much piracy activity (i.e., availability), if people weren't taking advantage of it?

I know that it isn't going to go away -- I just don't think MacRumors should validate it by posting stories about it.

In the end, jailbreaking is as much of a detrimental activity to iPhone developers as everyone on these forums complains that the App Store is.

Honestly, willful ignorance is not an argument against this. If you want to shamelessly avoid guilt or recognition for supporting piracy, by all means go ahead.. but don't use the "you can't prove it!" argument.

If even one person jailbreaks for the purpose of pirating, that's too many.

elpmas
May 3, 2010, 05:03 PM
JAJA niceeeee :D

BeSweeet
Any known Unlock yet ?

The unlock for the latest baseband probably won't be out until the next iPhone is released. They have an unlock, but don't want it to be released.

mattbatt

Any other questions?

Yes, would it be possible to tether the phone to a TV? I have an LG that if connected to the internet can stream Netflix.

It would be cool to stream it from the phone

Habakuk
May 3, 2010, 05:04 PM
Before you think about jailbreaking your device, please read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailbreak_(iPhone_OS)

Esp. the parts about "Viruses/worms" and "USA Legal issues" (it's not quite up to date with the new jailbreak method, naturally). It is not sure that Apple doesn't know that you did jailbreak even after a iTunes restore! I personally believe that they know it.

Apple Support: Unauthorized modification of iPhone OS has been a major source of instability, disruption of services, and other issues (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743)—MacRumors user and jailbreaker bruinsme (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=242043) calls it: "HEED to Apple's warnings, you jailbreaking thieving criminals" ;)

runeasgar
May 3, 2010, 05:04 PM
Uh, that's a tad bit shortsighted.

Personally I jailbreak for backgrounding/multitasking.

IMO, it's pretty sad you equate getting root access on a gadget to the root of all evil.

I don't.

I equate jailbreaking as the only viable method of piracy on the iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad.

In other words -- if anyone wants to steal software on those platforms, jailbreak is there to facilitate them.

P.S. I don't see MacRumors posting stories about bittorrent clients for Mac. Maybe I missed it somewhere. No, seriously, maybe I did. I'm not being snarky. It really bothers me, because I have friends who will justify their jailbreaking ALL DAY LONG, while simultaneously ripping off individuals or small software companies, and blaming Apple for not having sufficient security in place. (And then complaining at Apple when they do put security measures in place).

The double standard is disgustingly unethical.

transmaster
May 3, 2010, 05:06 PM
I can't get tethering to work on my iPod Touch. I know I am missing something fundamental.

The iPhone can tether but AT&T has not enabled it, so you are just flat out of luck. AT&T promised they would enable tethering more then a year ago it but so far all they have done is enabled a series excuses for why they can't do it.

brewno
May 3, 2010, 05:06 PM
Make sure you backup your photos before applying this patch...

mansanas
May 3, 2010, 05:07 PM
important question!

i dont want to lose all my data (contacts, music, apps) when i jailbreak..

so if i restore first then jailbreak, will i be able to sync and add all my data back on my iphone??

or should jailbreak without restoring first???
please help, im trying to jailbreak right this moment.

Creative One
May 3, 2010, 05:08 PM
Anyone smelling 3.1.4 tomorrow?
for those too daft to understand : too patch this crack.

rwilliams
May 3, 2010, 05:08 PM
Honestly, willful ignorance is not an argument against this. If you want to shamelessly avoid guilt or recognition for supporting piracy, by all means go ahead.. but don't use the "you can't prove it!" argument.

Spare me the lecture. Because I support jailbreaking, I must support piracy? What the hell kind of logic is that?

justflie
May 3, 2010, 05:09 PM
I'm going to give it a go. I just want MyWi (wifi hotspot creator) for my iPad. Fingers crossed. I haven't jailbroken since the original iPhone. :eek: Hopefully ATT will offer some sort of similar functionality once the new iPhone rolls around.

BeSweeet
May 3, 2010, 05:09 PM
Yes, would it be possible to tether the phone to a TV? I have an LG that if connected to the internet can stream Netflix.

It would be cool to stream it from the phone

Yes. I think that that might work without being jailbroken (just turn TV-out in the settings for iPod, plug in the cable, find a video, and it should work).

Crackbone
May 3, 2010, 05:10 PM
I don't.

I equate jailbreaking as the only viable method of piracy on the iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad.

In other words -- if anyone wants to steal software on those platforms, jailbreak is there to facilitate them.

P.S. I don't see MacRumors posting stories about bittorrent clients for Mac. Maybe I missed it somewhere. No, seriously, maybe I did. I'm not being snarky. It really bothers me, because I have friends who will justify their jailbreaking ALL DAY LONG, while simultaneously ripping off individuals or small software companies, and blaming Apple for not having sufficient security in place. (And then complaining at Apple when they do put security measures in place).

No, you certainly don't see stories about Bittorrent clients for the Mac. However, if you put a story about a jailbreak on a device that's been locked down for months in the same basket as a piece of general software, then, well, I'm not sure you can be debated with.

Then again, that's the sort of logic that has given birth to censorship, gun control, sin taxes, and the general legislation of morality.

News is news, whether you agree with its content or not.

St. Germain
May 3, 2010, 05:12 PM
The iPhone can tether but AT&T has not enabled it, so you are just flat out of luck. AT&T promised they would enable tethering more then a year ago it but so far all they have done is enabled a series excuses for why they can't do it.

With a jailbreak, you can tether an iPhone very easily. MyWi will even turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot. It's not free but it works.

Dr Kevorkian94
one question if i jailbreak then say want to get rid of it, i restore in itunes if i restore from backup i will have all my app data and settings ect right. even i i synced my iphone while it was jailbroken the jailbreak wont be on my phone again if i restore from back up.

BeSweeet
Apple just tries to scare people. It can't damage your device.

Even if 3.1.4 or 3.2.1 comes out tomorrow (or whenever), just don't update! Do that and you're fine.

Some other things to consider:
1) If you aren't already jailbroken, then you can go ahead and jailbreak. If you have photos on your device, back them up.
2) If you're already jaikbroken with something, then you must restore first.

dirtymack
May 3, 2010, 05:14 PM
It deleted all of my photos.

Be sure you back up you iPhone before running this.

BeSweeet
May 3, 2010, 05:14 PM

Wrong. Jailbreaking can allow tethering in a number of ways for any carrier.

BeSweeet
May 3, 2010, 05:15 PM
anyone????

Already answered (post 63).

LagunaSol
May 3, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'm no software pirate, but I do think it's a complete scam for AT&T to charge you double for data plans (iPhone & iPad). Can you imagine the outrage if Comcast charged you a separate subscription fee for each computer in your house? (Wait...I hope that doesn't give them any ideas.)

If I'm paying for a data plan on my iPhone, that same data plan should work on an iPad (as I obviously wouldn't be using the two simultaneously). So my only interest in jailbreaking would be to access 3G data on the iPad from my iPhone.

Is this possible if both are jailbroken?

ThunderSkunk
May 3, 2010, 05:18 PM
ah yes. see #63.

stagi
May 3, 2010, 05:18 PM
Wow that was pretty fast. Seems like they are getting better and better at Jailbreaking these

rwilliams
May 3, 2010, 05:19 PM
I'm no software pirate, but I do think it's a complete scam for AT&T to charge you double for data plans (iPhone & iPad). Can you imagine the outrage if Comcast charged you a separate subscription fee for each computer in your house? (Wait...I hope that doesn't give them any ideas.)

If I'm paying for a data plan on my iPhone, that same data plan should work on an iPad (as I obviously wouldn't be using the two simultaneously). So my only interest in jailbreaking would be to access 3G data on the iPad from my iPhone.

Is this possible if both are jailbroken?

Yes. Your jailbroken iPhone can become a mobile hotspot if you install MyWi from Cydia. Then you just connect your iPad to the SSID you set up on your iPhone.

And I agree - charging for both the iPhone and iPad is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. I'm guessing that Apple will claim battery drain as a reason they won't officially allow the iPhone to be a hotspot.

FinderUser213
May 3, 2010, 05:21 PM

Esp. the parts about "Viruses/worms" and "USA Legal issues" (it's not quite up to date with the new jailbreak method, naturally). It is not sure that Apple doesn't know that you did jailbreak even after a iTunes restore! I personally believe that they know it.

Apple Support: Unauthorized modification of iPhone OS has been a major source of instability, disruption of services, and other issues (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743)—MacRumors user and jailbreaker bruinsme (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=242043) calls it: "HEED to Apple's warnings, you jailbreaking thieving criminals" ;)

*Sigh* another foolish Apple FanBoy.

I have been jail broken since 2.0. I honestly couldn't care less if Apple can tell if I've jailbroken or not. I've had my phone repaired twice, both times I sent it in jail broken. I received what I paid for; AppleCare service.

The only known viruses/worms that exist for the iPhone OS effect only the foolish/ignorant who didn't change root password.

My phone has crashed once, because I downloaded a bad package.

The only source of instability and "disruption of services" is Apple's decision to make it difficult for us to use our devices to their full potentials.

I have never stolen an application, nor do I plan to. My friends who are jailbroken do not as well, many of whom are devs themselves..

In fact, only ~38% of people who JailBreak pirate, and I'm sure that number is completely inaccurate now.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2009/10/how-bad-is-piracy-in-the-app-store-pinch-media-takes-a-look/

Before you drink any more of Steve's Cool-Ade, please consider the information you are passing along.

BeSweeet
May 3, 2010, 05:21 PM
Wow that was pretty fast. Seems like they are getting better and better at Jailbreaking these

Well, the iPad was actually jailbroken within a few days of it being released. The iPad w/3G has the exact same software, so nothing new had to have been done.

Regarding 3.1.3, it was jailbroken the day it was released.

An untethered jaikbreak was already finished a month or so ago. It just had to have been finalized and stuff.

prnsr82
May 3, 2010, 05:22 PM
p0rn...? I dunno, been wondering that myself.

I just did it. Seems like a bunch of crap that people want you to pay for. Like themes and stuff. Not sure what the big deal is about, i did get to change my carrier name though... :confused:

maceleven
May 3, 2010, 05:28 PM
Mywi how much does it cost ?

Habakuk
May 3, 2010, 05:30 PM
Apple just tries to scare people. It can't damage your device.

Even if 3.1.4 or 3.2.1 comes out tomorrow (or whenever),

…or a new iTunes or Mac OS X version or hardware…

just don't update! Do that and you're fine.

It can be an issue. Some apps don't support older iPhone OS versions. Happens from time to time.

Yes. I think that that might work without being jailbroken (just turn TV-out in the settings for iPod, plug in the cable, find a video, and it should work).

Details on video out and Apple AV cable:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=597640
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=522707

Video output is currently only supported by three programs

Youtube
Ipod Video
Ipod Photos

No other programs, events, messages, screens, etc will display video

michael31986
May 3, 2010, 05:33 PM
tried to download it and said it was a virus so it was deleted :(

phpmaven
May 3, 2010, 05:36 PM

I think it's worth mentioning that it's always possible that you could permanently "brick" your iPad or iPhone by jailbreaking it. If you do some searching you will see that it does happen occasionally. Some people have gotten themselves into a situation where the device wouldn't even boot up. So it is not without risks. Yes I know that most people don't have any trouble, but it does happen. Given the fact that it's a just released beta hack and is quite unstable (just do a bit of Googling) I would be very careful about pulling the trigger on your brand new iPad. I've seen plenty of "Help! I tried to jailbreak and it froze up on me and I can't even restore" cries for help on forums.

Having said that, I did install it on my iPhone 3GS just to check it out. It's VERY unstable and I decided to restore, and I was able to, but I'm afraid to try it on my iPad. As unstable and beta as it is, there isn't any benefit compelling enough for me to take the risk.

Robert M.
May 3, 2010, 05:38 PM
Works great on all my devices!

So do you guys think this will be patched by the international release? I hope not, I think I'm going to by another iPad (3G) at the end of this month. I'd hate to buy one that can't be jailbroken for a while...:(

muskratboy
May 3, 2010, 05:39 PM

besides this being false logic, it is IN NO WAY a reasonable argument for not discussing the topic on macrumors.

i'm sorry you've gotten such a narrow view of jailbreaking. but again, even IF everyone is using it to pirate software... there are still enough LEGITIMATE uses that it is still a valid topic for discussion.

you compare to torrents... exactly right. you can discuss torrents all day, every day, on every site you can imagine.

but if you start talking about PIRATE torrents, you'll be shut down immediately, on all those same sites.

JAILBREAKING is not stealing software. you are just caught up in hyperbole.

Now if the topics on here were all about how you can steal all these new games because of the new jailbreak... well, that won't happen. ever. because this site cares about its users, and the law.

the topics are about jailbreaking, and all the LEGAL things you can do.

you find me a thread on here dedicated to stealing software. go ahead, look. it doesn't exist. people are talking about jailbreaking, not stealing... because they are DIFFERENT TOPICS.

i also develop for the iphone. and i have absolutely no problem with jailbreaking. or people talking about jailbreaking.

the more i think about this, the more i dislike your narrow, anecdotal, blinkered attempt at policing thought on these boards. cut it out.

EVERYTHING IS OK TO DISCUSS. EVERYTHING.

fzanetti
May 3, 2010, 05:41 PM
Worked fine for me too - 32G 3GS

Pretty fast and extremely reliable for the past 4 or so hours...

ngenerator
May 3, 2010, 05:44 PM
I think it's worth mentioning that it's always possible that you could permanently "brick" your iPad or iPhone by jailbreaking it. If you do some searching you will see that it does happen occasionally.

False, it's always fixable

Mywi how much does it cost ?

$10

transmaster
May 3, 2010, 05:45 PM
I don't.

:(I paid 300 dollars for my Touch, I own it not Apple. Maybe I want to run audio codex's other then ACC, MP4, MP3, or WAV files. I have several T bytes of audio files some of them are in codex's an iPod does not play. other flavors of MP3's such as Ogg Vorbis, MVK, or loss-less codex's such as Flac, and Ape. You can quote from the Gospel according to Steve Job's but don't think many people are going to take you seriously, I remember when Steve Job's, and Bill Gates where a nothing more then a long haired hobbyists working out of a garages, bumming money off of each other to eat. So you will understand why I don't look upon such people as if they where deities that have descended to Earth to Rule over us. If I have a valid reason for jail braking any Touch, or for that matter an iPad I will do it, and it has nothing to do with piracy but control of an computing device I own. Download a bit-torrent file on an iPhone????, a Touch???? har-de har-har.:rolleyes:

SnowLeopard2008
May 3, 2010, 05:54 PM
Technically, you own the hardware but you own a license of the software/firmware.

Honestly, there's not much you can do with an iPad jailbreak. Do you want themes? Most of them are ugly. All my friends who jailbreak their iPhones and iPod touches end up with extremely slow and laggy devices.

Habakuk
May 3, 2010, 05:54 PM
*Sigh* another foolish Apple FanBoy.

Try to post here without insulting other MR members.

I have been jail broken since 2.0. I honestly couldn't care less if Apple can tell if I've jailbroken or not. I've had my phone repaired twice, both times I sent it in jail broken. I received what I paid for; AppleCare service.

Good for you. And you can guarantee this for everyone who will send in a jailbroken device (with broken screen or home button doesn't work p. e.)? People will nail you down on your precious hints, be careful!

The only known viruses/worms that exist for the iPhone OS effect only the foolish/ignorant who didn't change root password.

I know. Everybody is foolish and ignorant except you.

Be sure: 9 of 10 people who are going happily to "easy cool" jailbreak don't know how to change those passwords. But the cool SSH switch is right on your homescreen when you install SBSettings between "Brightness" and "WiFi on/off". Look for "Springboard" and "respring".

Screenshot: SSH switch in 'SBSettings' on a jailbroken iPhone.

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=224830&stc=1&d=1272926931

If you switch on SSH without having changed the passwords before—your device is vulnerable! Please read my sig.

Before you drink any more of Steve's Cool-Ade, please consider the information you are passing along.

Please consider yourself. At least everybody with a new and expensive device (covered by official warranty) should do that before jailbreaking!

Roessnakhan
May 3, 2010, 06:01 PM

Youtube
Ipod Video
Ipod Photos

If you jailbreak then download TV-out. Enable AV out for a lot more programs.

maceleven
May 3, 2010, 06:03 PM
False, it's always fixable

$10

how long is the $10 good for ?

s1m
May 3, 2010, 06:04 PM
I might try this on my iPod touch tonight just as an experiment :)

If this is stable and means I am still able to buy apps through the apple app store then this might make the decision between wifi and 3G iPad when I go to the US. If I can tether to my iPhone then I will go wifi only.

FinderUser213
May 3, 2010, 06:06 PM

Try to post here without insulting other MR members.

Good for you. And you can guarantee this for everyone who will send in a jailbroken device (with broken screen or home button doesn't work p. e.)? People will nail you down on your precious hints, be careful!

I know. Everybody is foolish and ignorant except you.

Be sure: 9 of 10 people who are going happily to "easy cool" jailbreak don't know how to change those passwords. But the cool SSH switch is right on your homescreen when you install SBSettings between "Brightness" and "WiFi on/off". Look for "Springboard" and "respring".

Screenshot: SSH switch in 'SBSettings' on a jailbroken iPhone.

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=224830&stc=1&d=1272926931

If you switch on SSH without having changed the passwords before—your device is vulnerable! Please read my sig.

Please consider yourself. At least everybody with a new and expensive device (covered by official warranty) should do that before jailbreaking!

I did not insult my fellow MacRumors members.. I said "Foolish Apple Fanboys". Not to play the semantics game, but I genuinely meant that. I'm just as much as an Apple Fanboy as the next guy, but I don't consider myself foolish.

I can not guarantee anything? Where do I make any such claim? The following sentence made little sense to me, I'm sorry.

What was your point in attaching those photos?
Don't make up claims like "9 of 10 people". Cydia (what all those "easy cool" jailbreakers all have to use) clearly and prominently displays many warnings about proper SSH usage.

Xavier
May 3, 2010, 06:08 PM
Cool. Now I can upgrade to 3.1.3.

mansanas
May 3, 2010, 06:12 PM
just finished jailbreaking.. its now on that loading screen with the tie dye looking background... how long is this supposed to take?? im getting worried!

Iphtashu Fitz
May 3, 2010, 06:19 PM

Here: http://tinyurl.com/2bggkyu

bytethese
May 3, 2010, 06:20 PM

Settle down there Elmer FUD. :)

It's not illegal to jailbreak. There are no viruses/worms. If you jailbreak AND you install SSH, you just need to change the password. Just the same is if you have a standard password on any device, you should change it.

Apple doesn't know when you jailbreak, that's not how their firmware signing works. :)

mansanas
May 3, 2010, 06:21 PM
just finished jailbreaking.. its now on that loading screen with the tie dye looking background... how long is this supposed to take?? im getting worried!

its been on the tie dye loading screen for 10 mins now! what should i do guys?? please help! someone! dear God!

cocky jeremy
May 3, 2010, 06:23 PM
Does this jailbreak contain Rock? I read the site but didn't see anything about it.

You download Rock via Cydia, although i'm not sure if it's a default source or you have to add the source manually. Once Rock is installed, Cydia is as good as dead to me. :)

Roessnakhan
May 3, 2010, 06:23 PM
its been on the tie dye loading screen for 10 mins now! what should i do guys?? please help! someone! dear God!

Restore and try again.

bytethese
May 3, 2010, 06:24 PM

Step 1: Relax
Step 2: See Step 1
Step 3: Worst case, restore your device.

Personally, I got "stuck" just now on the spinning circle of death so to speak. I'm in the process of restoring and will try to jailbreak again.

mansanas
May 3, 2010, 06:25 PM
Step 1: Relax
Step 2: See Step 1
Step 3: Worst case, restore your device.

Personally, I got "stuck" just now on the spinning circle of death so to speak. I'm in the process of restoring and will try to jailbreak again.

i cant even restore it, i cant turn it off, i have to wait for the battery to die now or what

bytethese
May 3, 2010, 06:26 PM
i cant even restore it, i cant turn it off, i have to wait for the battery to die now or what

Why can't you restore it? Does iTunes see it? Mine was stuck on the Apple logo but iTunes still saw it. I cancelled the sync and clicked restore. :)

mansanas
May 3, 2010, 06:27 PM
Why can't you restore it? Does iTunes see it? Mine was stuck on the Apple logo but iTunes still saw it. I cancelled the sync and clicked restore. :)

its stuck on the tie dye screen

BeSweeet
May 3, 2010, 06:27 PM
…or a new iTunes or Mac OS X version or hardware…

It can be an issue. Some apps don't support older iPhone OS versions. Happens from time to time.

Details on video out and Apple AV cable:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=597640
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=522707

Youtube
Ipod Video
Ipod Photos

1) I doubt developers would rush an update of an app just to support a slightly updated firmware.
2) Incorrect. There are lots of jailbroken apps that can take advantage of an AV cable. You can also mirror what you see on your SpringBoard onto your TV and lots of other things (ie. View Netflix from your iPhone onto your TV).

BeSweeet
May 3, 2010, 06:28 PM
its stuck on the tie dye screen

Do a hard reset (power+home until it goes off). It should go into recovery mode. If not, look it up. Then use iTunes to restore, then try Spirit again.

justflie
May 3, 2010, 06:32 PM

Happened to me too. I forced it into recovery mode, restored via iTunes, and tried it again. 2nd time was the charm. After I clicked the button the second time, I think it only took about 1 minute to complete the jailbreak.

mansanas
May 3, 2010, 06:34 PM
Do a hard reset (power+home until it goes off). It should go into recovery mode. If not, look it up. Then use iTunes to restore, then try Spirit again.

did this and when it rebooted, it was jail broken and FREE!!! thanks for the help guys... should i upgrade all the cydia upgrades??

dukeblue91
May 3, 2010, 06:34 PM
And your car drives faster then any speed limit so you must be a speeder.

I don't.

healthyfatboy
May 3, 2010, 06:35 PM
Well, that just killed the resale value of my early 3GS. The market just got flooded with many more jailbreakable phones. Oh well, at least mine is still able to be unlocked, and now I can jailbreak my iPad if I ever want to.

(not entirely serious, but partly fwiw)

Not necessarily. It doesn't unlock the phone to run on other carriers so if you're still on 3.1.2, you should be able to get a decent amount. That's what I plan on doing.

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 06:35 PM
do i reload spring board?

open safari on the iphone and go to m.peacefulinsanity.com/tether.mobileconfig and click accept. it will enable the att tether option and better than myfi its free.

Starbucker
May 3, 2010, 06:39 PM
Will this allow me to tether my tmobile bb to my iPad?

ngenerator
May 3, 2010, 06:42 PM

One time purchase, good forever so long as you are jailbroken. If you need to restore, make sure you are still jailbroken and you can log back in. It'll show you already purchased it and will allow you to dl it again.

Cinemagic
May 3, 2010, 06:42 PM

I, for one, jailbreak for tethering. I appreciate forums like this that do make announcements and provide assistance. If Apple and AT&T would have lived up to their promises, then I would have no need to jailbreak. If Apple would be less restrictive on the APP Store, then we'd not have a need to jailbreak.

As for stealing applications, this has been around since computers were invented and someone wanted payment for their work. I agree that stealing is wrong. Unfortunately it won't go away.

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 06:47 PM
Will this allow me to tether my tmobile bb to my iPad?

this will enable the tethering option for the iphone so another device can use it for its internet connection. if your BB supports tethering options (which i think they do) I dont see why you cant connect a ipad via bluetooth but since I dont have one I cant test.

Cinemagic
May 3, 2010, 06:49 PM
open safari on the iphone and go to m.peacefulinsanity.com/tether.mobileconfig and click accept. it will enable the att tether option and better than myfi its free.

Works well, but tethering is only over Bluetooth or USB. There is no WiFi option. This is fine for a laptop, but does not allow for tethering a WiFi iPad.

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 06:49 PM
just a FYI you can go to m.peacefulinsanity.com/tether.mobileconfig and it will enable the tethering option even if you dont have your phone jailbroke.

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 06:52 PM
Works well, but tethering is only over Bluetooth or USB. There is no WiFi option. This is fine for a laptop, but does not allow for tethering a WiFi iPad.

dont have a ipad but it has bluetooth. Does it not allow bluetooth connections?

mansanas
May 3, 2010, 06:53 PM
did this and when it rebooted, it was jail broken and FREE!!! thanks for the help guys... should i upgrade all the cydia upgrades??

apologies for being a nooby pest, but should i update all the cydia updates??

Legolover64
May 3, 2010, 06:53 PM

Ugh, please stop. I am an application developer for the App Store, and I jailbreak my devices because I appreciate the freedom it gives me. SSH may sound useless to someone not "in the know" about what it can do for you, but for me, it's invaluable to have these utilities with me in a mobile device. Jailbreaking is the only thing that lets me run vim on my iPhone, or commit to a local git repository from my iPad. These are NOT things that you can accomplish with just apps.

I agree, there are pirates, and that's terrible. They steal from developers, and I can tell you firsthand about the sweat and time that goes into a really great app. They destroy the ecosystem and lead to a less compelling platform to develop for (why would you put your store on a street where theft is common?)

Still, I think that the pirates are few and far between, and the majority of people want to free their devices from the shackles Apple imposes, and use them to the fullest. Never before can I have a portable UNIX computer in my pocket with ALL the POSIX apps I need, just a quick Terminal away. The utility of this is invaluable to a sysadmin, developer, or someone similar.

Mal
May 3, 2010, 06:58 PM
Ugh, please stop. I am an application developer for the App Store, and I jailbreak my devices because I appreciate the freedom it gives me. SSH may sound useless to someone not "in the know" about what it can do for you, but for me, it's invaluable to have these utilities with me in a mobile device. Jailbreaking is the only thing that lets me run vim on my iPhone, or commit to a local git repository from my iPad. These are NOT things that you can accomplish with just apps.

I agree, there are pirates, and that's terrible. They steal from developers, and I can tell you firsthand about the sweat and time that goes into a really great app. They destroy the ecosystem and lead to a less compelling platform to develop for (why would you put your store on a street where theft is common?)

Still, I think that the pirates are few and far between, and the majority of people want to free their devices from the shackles Apple imposes, and use them to the fullest. Never before can I have a portable UNIX computer in my pocket with ALL the POSIX apps I need, just a quick Terminal away. The utility of this is invaluable to a sysadmin, developer, or someone similar.

Good post.

BTW, what Terminal app are you using? The ones I know of haven't been updated in a while and don't work on 3.x.

jW

squinks808
May 3, 2010, 07:08 PM
writing this from my jailbroken iPad 3G... oh my goodness do I love this thing! :D

PruneTracy
May 3, 2010, 07:18 PM
I don't.

Sounds like your friends are morons. My phone is no longer jailbroken, but I plan on re-doing it tonight. I first JB back on iPhone v1 with all that icky command line. There were great things to do then, and there are great things to do now- none of which involve stealing apps. Saying that jailbreaking is bad because you COULD steal apps, is like saying putting custom rims on your car is wrong because you COULD run someone over. Thieves are thieves. Tech savvy people who like to explore their devices to the fullest extent are not. We're nerds.

So go whine to your friends about their ethics- not your friends ethics to us.

koach
May 3, 2010, 07:18 PM
I don't understand the logic that jailbreaking = pirating apps. By that logic, people who have admin rights on their PC or Mac only have it for pirating applications. Just because you CAN pirate apps doesn't mean you do. Anyone with admin rights can pirate most PC or Mac applications, but honest people pay for them anyway. Anyone with an Internet connection can pirate music and movies, but honest people pay for them anyway.

The idea that people jailbreak only to pirate is asinine. People jailbreak because they want control of the device that they paid good money for. They don't like to feel like it is apple's device under apple's control. Again, by this logic people only have admin rights and an Internet connection so that they can pirate apps, music, and movies.

Erwin-Br
May 3, 2010, 07:21 PM
*sigh* I wish people who don't like Apple's closed ecosystem wouldn't buy the fricking device instead of using workarounds. This isn't helping anyone. Uncle Steve believes everyone's perfectly fine with the walled garden (look at the sales!)...

andyplace
May 3, 2010, 07:24 PM
As a developer, jailbreaking is actually more convenient for me -- spares the need to provision extra devices and gives me the chance to view all of my application's files / documents easily. [to the Developer Agreement compliance Nazis out there -- I don't care.] The iFile app lets me browse + modify the whole file system among other things.

MyWi is another favorite, in addition to backgrounder/ProSwitcher, SBSettings, so on and so forth...

Jailbreaking increases the freedom + utility of my iPhone a ton, it's not evil and its not just a piracy enabler.

Also, you *cannot* under any circumstance brick a device from a jailbreak or failed jailbreak. Even if you know someone who thinks they did, they didn't really. (it's called DFU Mode-- Google it).

Justinb51
May 3, 2010, 07:26 PM
ok guys as it says to the left "newbie" with that said:

if i jailbreak and i dont want/like it, can i put my iphone 3gs right back the way it was before i did the jailbreak. (yes i just connected it to itunes and backed it up)??

rwilliams
May 3, 2010, 07:28 PM
*sigh* I wish people who don't like Apple's closed ecosystem wouldn't buy the fricking device instead of using workarounds. This isn't helping anyone.

And I wish people would stop trying to tell others what they should do with the devices they bought with their hard earned money. Buy my iPods and iPhones for me, and then you can tell me how to use it.

brendon2020
May 3, 2010, 07:29 PM
wow that was quick and painless, and backgrounder works really well.

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 07:29 PM
ok guys as it says to the left "newbie" with that said:

if i jailbreak and i dont want/like it, can i put my iphone 3gs right back the way it was before i did the jailbreak. (yes i just connected it to itunes and backed it up)??

yes use the restore button in itunes

Justinb51
May 3, 2010, 07:30 PM
yes use the restore button in itunes

Thank you!

kas23
May 3, 2010, 07:31 PM

I guess the same amount of time it takes for us to start getting free mp3s.

And your car drives faster then any speed limit so you must be a speeder.

Sweet!

Justinb51
May 3, 2010, 07:33 PM
ok well i just tried to use it and it said "failed to jailbreak error code 0000022" so now i dont know what to do.

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 07:35 PM
ok well i just tried to use it and it said "failed to jailbreak error code 0000022" so now i dont know what to do.

are you on 3.1.3? whats the status of the phone now?

mavis
May 3, 2010, 07:37 PM
And I wish people would stop trying to tell others what they should do with the devices they bought with their hard earned money. Buy my iPods and iPhones for me, and then you can tell me how to use it.Well said!

Justinb51
May 3, 2010, 07:37 PM
are you on 3.1.3? whats the status of the phone now?

yes its a 3gs with 3.1.3, and the phone is just the same as before i tried to use the jailbreak. it changed nothing. the program asked me if i wanted to retry, and i did. but it again gave me the same message (on the computer not the phone)

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 07:46 PM
yes its a 3gs with 3.1.3, and the phone is just the same as before i tried to use the jailbreak. it changed nothing. the program asked me if i wanted to retry, and i did. but it again gave me the same message (on the computer not the phone)

not sure where to go from there. you can try to do the restore route through itunes which when its done you will have to re sync everything. if you go the restore route I wold try to jailbreak before going further. I did to both phones in my house today which are both 3gs with no issue.

koach
May 3, 2010, 07:53 PM
I point to this chart:

(I bought a copy of Webroot's SpySweeper and Webroot's Window Washer; I installed it on my mom's computer, too. That's not theft. I don't even know if it's "piracy", it's like a P2P share.)

More than likely that software came with a licensing agreement that says you can only install it on one computer. So by doing what you did is copyright infringement, which is piracy. No you didn't steal anything, but piracy never is stealing. Stealing means you deprived someone of the original, pirating is like using a replicator from Star Trek. But even though it is not stealing, it's still illegal in most countries.

But you missed the entire point of what I was talking about anyway.

benjs
May 3, 2010, 08:10 PM
For those of you nay-saying jailbreaking, clearly you are failing to see that there are perfectly legal benefits to jailbreaking. That's what the Cydia store is for - apps which Apple, for whatever reason, deems inappropriate for the App Store. Often these are things that are so harmless, such as MyWi (allows you to tether and use your iPhone as a wireless hot spot) or SBSettings (allows you to swipe the top part of the iPhone to bring up a very handy settings pane). Sure, there is the potential for piracy through jailbreaks, and in that sense, the jailbreaks are the enablers for that - but where do you draw the line? The internet as a whole is an enabler for piracy, if you want to go down that route... should we shun the internet, and never discuss it again? I understand that's a bit extreme, but my point is merely that you can't arbitrarily draw a line, and label jailbreaking as evil based on that - especially when there's legitimate good to come of it.

Tech-Boy
May 3, 2010, 08:15 PM

Yes rock, rocks on the iPad.

Soat
May 3, 2010, 08:21 PM
That was definitely the easiest + fastest jailbreak yet. Working great on my iPad. snes4iphone is awesome with a Wiimote, and even n64iphone works really well even without frameskip on (though they don't have landscape mode yet since its just a scaled iPhone app, but still looks great). As others have said Backgrounder works flawlessly too; Pandora in the background = awesome.

Edit: Also, found this on gizmodo, about to try it out and see how it goes...
Running iPhone apps on the iPad without ugly stretchinghttp://www.macstories.net/ipad/how-to-run-iphone-apps-on-the-ipad-without-pixel-doubling/

Mackan
May 3, 2010, 08:24 PM

I would jailbreak to get the features I should have on this kind of phone. I don't steal apps. I see no logic in your post.

iphonesrq
May 3, 2010, 08:28 PM
Can I jailbreak with Spirit using a mac, or does it have to be a pc?

Also, could someone post a link to spirit?

bytethese
May 3, 2010, 08:30 PM

Here you go:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=909748

cocky jeremy
May 3, 2010, 08:30 PM
*sigh* I wish people who don't like Apple's closed ecosystem wouldn't buy the fricking device instead of using workarounds. This isn't helping anyone. Uncle Steve believes everyone's perfectly fine with the walled garden (look at the sales!)...

I don't care if Jobs thinks it's perfectly fine without jailbreaking. I want themes, i want more options, etc.. and i will continue to jailbreak. Forever. Period. People need to get over the fact that a lot of us jailbreak because it just isn't going to change.

Justinb51
May 3, 2010, 08:31 PM

its in the origianal story, just click "spirit" in the story

grapes911
May 3, 2010, 08:33 PM
Its in the very first post of this thread.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/sirjamesthegood/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

iphonesrq
May 3, 2010, 08:33 PM
Its in the very first post of this thread.

haha...thanks guys got it!

WarDogg
May 3, 2010, 08:35 PM
LOL! ****! you don't have to click on the facking article for baby gay jesus' sake!

coolbreeze
May 3, 2010, 08:36 PM
Just jailbroke my 3GS. Plugged in, clicked the button, phone rebooted.

So. Freaking. Easy.

coldplaysucks.
May 3, 2010, 08:42 PM
This is really exciting, does anybody know how long it took for this to come out since 3.1.3 was released?:apple:

grapes911
May 3, 2010, 08:44 PM
This is really exciting, does anybody know how long it took for this to come out since 3.1.3 was released?:apple:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history

centauratlas
May 3, 2010, 08:50 PM

If even one person speeds in their care, that's one too many. I guess no one should cover car news, and all cars should have governors to prevent anything over the maximum allowed speed because no one ever has a legitimate reason to exceed the speed limit.

EVERYTHING can be used for positive or negative purposes. Not covering something will not change that.

I don't pirate - music or anything else - I'd rather pay the $0.99 or $1.99 or whatever and have it work than have to mess with it, and besides someone put time and effort in to creating whatever it is, so they should be compensated. It is only fair.

I don't jailbreak, I got a factory unlocked phone from overseas, but for tethering or a few things like that, I might want to do so. For example, I considered it last summer during hurricane season in order to have internet access on the computer if the cable went out, but ended up not doing so. I might this year. Of course with the 64GB, 3G iPad, I now have a backup connection besides the small screen iPhone so might not need to.

The point: not covering it here won't change things one bit and jailbreaks do not equal piracy. I'm a paid-up Apple developer and gotta disagree with the statement that jail-breaking means pirating.

Legolover64
May 3, 2010, 08:53 PM
Good post.

BTW, what Terminal app are you using? The ones I know of haven't been updated in a while and don't work on 3.x.

jW

Thanks!

The Terminal app I currently use is iSSH. It's a paid app ($10) in the store, but so far really great in my experiences. It's SSH and VNC all rolled into one, which makes it great to do this kind of work. The mousework in VNC is a little wonky with clicking/dragging, but I think that's to be expected. I just SSH into localhost (user: root, password: alpine) and rock and roll.

Good luck!

grapes911
May 3, 2010, 08:53 PM
. . . and all cars should have governors to prevent anything over the maximum allowed speed . . .
If that happened, I'd so jailbreak my car.

suss2it
May 3, 2010, 08:55 PM
Never jailbroke my iPhone before, but I am intrigued by it. Quick question, will I be able to delete useless Apple apps such as "stocks"?

organerito
May 3, 2010, 08:58 PM
I don't.

Are you Apple's dog watch? Are you the keeper of ethics in the world? It must be very sad to be a blind follower who has a lot of prejudices. Please don't tell me you are from Arizona.

There are people who steal, but I am sure that a lot people who jailbreak for themes and multitasking. Does everything have to be black or white? Nuancing is a characteristic of intelligence.

grapes911
May 3, 2010, 08:58 PM
Never jailbroke my iPhone before, but I am intrigued by it. Quick question, will I be able to delete useless Apple apps such as "stocks"?
There are plenty of apps that allow you to hide other apps so you don't see them.

organerito
May 3, 2010, 09:00 PM

Are you using Windows 7? If yes, you have to start the application under W98 compatibility mode.

HyperX13
May 3, 2010, 09:13 PM
i can watch my divx shows without converting to mpeg!!!

transmaster
May 3, 2010, 09:17 PM
With a jailbreak, you can tether an iPhone very easily. MyWi will even turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot. It's not free but it works.

Interesting:D I don't have an iPhone and to get tethering you would have to jailbreak it because of AT&T. Well Verizon is supposed to get the iPhone sometime this next summer if this happens then maybe things will change.

peejer
May 3, 2010, 09:18 PM
Very intrigued by this. Probably a stupid question, but if I jailbreak will I still be able to use the apps I've purchased already? And will I be able to purchase apps in the App store? I know these are probably dumb questions....

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 09:23 PM
Interesting:D I don't have an iPhone and to get tethering you would have to jailbreak it because of AT&T. Well Verizon is supposed to get the iPhone sometime this next summer if this happens then maybe things will change.

you dont need to jailbreak to get tethering.

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 09:24 PM
Very intrigued by this. Probably a stupid question, but if I jailbreak will I still be able to use the apps I've purchased already? And will I be able to purchase apps in the App store? I know these are probably dumb questions....

yes you can use all your purchased apps. You can also buy apps through the cydia and rock app stores!

gecus
May 3, 2010, 09:28 PM
I don't know if it's been posted, but I had difficulty with it at first. For Vista users, you may have to run in Win 98 compatibility mode. My 'dl.exe' kept ending.

s1m
May 3, 2010, 09:31 PM
you dont need to jailbreak to get tethering.

Are you referring to tethering an iPhone to computer via USB/bluetooth or referring to tethering an iPhone to an iPad. That is what I would use the jailbreak for - avoiding the need to buy a 3G iPad with a separate data plan.

yes you can use all your purchased apps. You can also buy apps through the cydia and rock app stores!

Can you still buy through the apple app store?

transmaster
May 3, 2010, 09:34 PM
Technically, you own the hardware but you own a license of the software/firmware.

Honestly, there's not much you can do with an iPad jailbreak. Do you want themes? Most of them are ugly. All my friends who jailbreak their iPhones and iPod touches end up with extremely slow and laggy devices.

So true :) Honestly except for the doing of it I have no real motivation for jail breaking anything. I purchased my Touch to access the Apple ecosystem I don't expect it to anything else. I abuse my PC's, "Burn you demon spawned electronic box from hell ;)" My Touch is quiet harbor of something that works all the time.:D

mikejd1
May 3, 2010, 09:42 PM
Anyone elses maps location no longer working after jailbreakimg ipad?

peejer
May 3, 2010, 09:48 PM
Good grief! That was easy. Now I just need to figure out what to do with my Jailbroken phone.

Any suggestions. I certainly want to tether. Want to use backgrounder. Hmmm.... what else can I get into.

Habakuk
May 3, 2010, 09:59 PM
1) I doubt developers would rush an update of an app just to support a slightly updated firmware.

There are enough (new) games that may not support older iPhone OS. Sometimes they support it later, but when there is a rush on a new trendy game, the jail breakers are always upset.

2) Incorrect. There are lots of jailbroken apps that can take advantage of an AV cable. You can also mirror what you see on your SpringBoard onto your TV and lots of other things (ie. View Netflix from your iPhone onto your TV).

Good to know. But I was clearly referring to non-jailbroken iPhones, iPads or iPod touch.

I just SSH into localhost (user: root, password: alpine) and rock and roll.

Security advice: Change those passwords immediately! Please read my sig (or here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8860843&postcount=48)) and my previous postings in this very thread!

Good luck!

Good luck to YOU!

Justinb51
May 3, 2010, 10:11 PM
Are you using Windows 7? If yes, you have to start the application under W98 compatibility mode.

Ok thanks for tip. One more question. How do I run it under W98 compatibility mode? I'm sorry but that is totally "Greek" to me. (I'm on vista btw)

cocky jeremy
May 3, 2010, 10:20 PM
Are you referring to tethering an iPhone to computer via USB/bluetooth or referring to tethering an iPhone to an iPad. That is what I would use the jailbreak for - avoiding the need to buy a 3G iPad with a separate data plan.

Yup. You can use Cydia, Rock, or the regular Apple App Store. You'll need to download Rock through Cydia, and once you do, i recommend it and the real App Store only. Cydia is slower than Rock, has the same resources (files), plus you can save your apps you download in Rock so if you ever need to restore, you can restore from the back up. Example:

I go into Cydia, download Rock. From then on i only use Rock and never use Cydia. Why? Say i download some themes in Rock, and some ringtones. Rock backs these up for me under my account name (You have to register, but it's free) and say 2-3 months from now, my iPhone goes crazy and i have to restore. I go back into Cydia, re-download Rock, and then in the settings of Rock, i restore (automatically download) all of my themes and ringtones i previously downloaded in Rock. If you use Cydia, you have to manually find all of those and re-download them. Plus, like i said, Cydia loads slower than Rock. I see NO advantages of using Cydia over Rock. Just my opinion though. :)

May 3, 2010, 10:28 PM
I have jailbreak my iPhone for one reason only: to hide (using "Poof") that d@mn "Stocks" application as I don't use it, I don't need it, and I don't want to see it on my phone.
There is no official way to remove/hide it, and I really don't understand why Apple is trying to shovel Stocks down my neck giving me no option to remove it if not hide it...

Oh, and there is one more goddie I have found soon after: text message delivery reports as the network here sux and that little piece of software is very useful to see if my messages has been actually delivered (not only fail to send it as the stock Message app shows).

Jailbreaking is all about the freedom of actually using at the "full speed" so to say the product you have been paiying for, with no (stupid) restrictions with (stupid) fake motivations (lies) like "no hardware capable" device as long as one can see IT IS capable.

Those whom are having a problem with the "jailbreak" practice, don't jailbrake yout device, stay "legal", get a life, and let the others do it if they feel they want to.

harodude
May 3, 2010, 10:30 PM
Finally, a way to recover files from my iPhone 3GS after it had to be restored... I had some priceless pictures and video's that I've been meaning to get back!

cocky jeremy
May 3, 2010, 10:32 PM
I have jailbreak my iPhone for one reason only: to hide (using "Poof") that d@mn "Stocks" application as I don't use it, I don't need it, and I don't want to see it on my phone.
There is no official way to remove/hide it, and I really don't understand why Apple is trying to shovel Stocks down my neck giving me no option to remove it if not hide it...

Oh, and there is one more thing I'm using: text message delivery reports as the network here sux and that little piece of software is very useful to see if my messages has been actually delivered (not only fail to send it as the stock Message apps shows)

What text message delivery report app? Doesn't the message app provide this already? (Little red error message) Or am i not understanding what you said correctly?

Finally, a way to recover files from my iPhone 3GS after it had to be restored... I had some priceless pictures and video's that I've been meaning to get back!

Not sure if you're talking about my previous post about Rock or not, but if so.. Rock only gets back files available to download from Rock sources. Such as ringtones, jailbreak apps, themes, etc. Not personal, synced files.

knewsom
May 3, 2010, 10:33 PM
i can watch my divx shows without converting to mpeg!!!

mind telling me how...?

May 3, 2010, 10:42 PM
What text message delivery report app? Doesn't the message app provide this already? (Little red error message) Or am i not understanding what you said correctly?

iPhoneDelivery.

The stock Message app shows red only if you phone fails to SEND the message, but doesn't tell if the network fails to DELIVER the message AFTER it has been sent out from your phone and the message is "virtually" somewhere in the network waiting to be delivered.
This little "plugin" ~~ if I can call it plugin ~~ tells you if the message has been actually delivered (by the network) to the other party's phone.

PS: most if not all the other phones out in the wild are having such option to choose: if you want deliverey reports or not. iPhone doesn't. Seems that this one is just one of the many other "features" Apple has failed to implement into a so called "i"Phone. It's a basic feature for a MOBILE PHONE device.

PPS: I don't even want to start talking about the option of recording an ongoing phonecall conversation, feature which I used to have it FOR FREE on all of my previous cell phones since "allways" if I can say that.

Apple shall first think about the iPhone as being a PHONE first of all, and then as a media device with all the bells & whistles. If they think viceversa, then they shall NOT call it a Phone.

sinsin07
May 3, 2010, 10:44 PM

First, some of the sales could be due to the ability to jailbreak. Second, Uncle Steve called, he said he wants you to return his jock strap.

mdwsta4
wow, fastest jailbreak ever!!
definitely glad to be back. after apple replaced my 3GS with a 3.1.3 model, i've been patiently waiting to rejailbreak.

moebius
Ok guys, I just want to report that I did the jailbreak in my 3GS, for close to five minutes I only saw the "purple universe" kind of window on my Iphone screen, I panicked and tried to stop the whole process, ITunes was unable to read the Iphone when plugged to my Macbook... :( then suddenly and I really don't know how, the Iphone re-started and "puff" the devil was inside... I mean, Cydia.:)

Right now, I am writing from my uni-MacBoock and connected to the internetS with MyWi.

The Spirit almost took my spirit away, but at the end the forces of liberation and true freedom succeed.

huuuuraaay!

harodude
May 3, 2010, 10:52 PM
Not sure if you're talking about my previous post about Rock or not, but if so.. Rock only gets back files available to download from Rock sources. Such as ringtones, jailbreak apps, themes, etc. Not personal, synced files.

I meant to say the pictures, videos, and other data that were in the user partition. There is some script that I am running that is backing up every bit from the drive.

knewsom
May 3, 2010, 11:13 PM
32GB 3GS - just tried it - works like a charm. Didn't even lose my photos.

MyWi is ah-maze-ing. Worth the 10 bux. Long car trips are about to get far, far, more interesting. ...well, for everyone else, since I'll be driving. :mad:

dirtymack
May 3, 2010, 11:23 PM
Works great!
Except for it wiping my photos.

twarner776
May 3, 2010, 11:33 PM

yes you can still buy through the app store. and I was referring to connecting a laptop via USB/Bluetooth.

mansanas
May 4, 2010, 12:00 AM
Ok guys, I just want to report that I did the jailbreak in my 3GS, for close to five minutes I only saw the "purple universe" kind of window on my Iphone screen, I panicked and tried to stop the whole process, ITunes was unable to read the Iphone when plugged to my Macbook... :( then suddenly and I really don't know how, the Iphone re-started and "puff" the devil was inside... I mean, Cydia.:)

Right now, I am writing from my uni-MacBoock and connected to the internetS with MyWi.

The Spirit almost took my spirit away, but at the end the forces of liberation and true freedom succeed.

huuuuraaay!

same exact thing happened to me man! cheers! our iphones are free!

phpmaven
May 4, 2010, 12:09 AM
just a FYI you can go to m.peacefulinsanity.com/tether.mobileconfig and it will enable the tethering option even if you dont have your phone jailbroke.

This doesn't work on the latest firmware.

twoslick
May 4, 2010, 01:11 AM
Let me rephrase what you just said to show you how ludicrous you sound. Oh, and I'm an iPhone app developer by the way.

Do you really think that there would be so much activity (i.e., availability), if people weren't taking advantage of it?

I know that it isn't going to go away -- I just don't think MacRumors should validate it by posting stories about it.

In the end, buying knives is as much of a detrimental activity to chefs as everyone on these forums complains that the App Store is.

Honestly, willful ignorance is not an argument against this. If you want to shamelessly avoid guilt or recognition for supporting murder with knives, by all means go ahead.. but don't use the "you can't prove it!" argument.

If even one person buys a knife for the purpose of stabbing someone to death, that's too many.

So tell me. Are you going to call for the ban on all things pointy?

ddolde
May 4, 2010, 01:43 AM

Get PDAnet from Cydia to make your iPhone into a WIFI router.

Doug Dolde
www.douglasdolde.com

92jlee
May 4, 2010, 01:55 AM
Every god dam jail break I try f*cks up my iphone!!!!!

Now im about to leave for an interview with a ******** black brick with a stupid apple logo!

Thanks allot Mac Rumors!

knoxtown
May 4, 2010, 02:02 AM
Every god dam jail break I try f*cks up my iphone!!!!!

Now im about to leave for an interview with a ******** black brick with a stupid apple logo!

Thanks allot Mac Rumors!

Not even sure how its possible to screw up. Open app, click the button. 30 seconds later its done.

ddolde
May 4, 2010, 02:08 AM

Yes the Cydia app called BossPrefs lets you toggle icons on or off but doesn't delete the app itself.

WinterBoard theme called iPhone 4.0 lets you get the screen looking like the next release. Get Backgrounder for multitasking; then you can listen to internet radio without it quitting when you run another app.

http://douglasdolde.com/photo.jpg http://douglasdolde.com/photo2.jpg

Doug Dolde
www.douglasdolde.com

djpaetkau
May 4, 2010, 02:43 AM

I love a lot of things about my iPhone, but there are a few that I wished I could change, and jailbreaking allowed me to do that. There were a lot of cool things I could tweak and use at first, but now I really only use my jailbreak to enable SBSettings, Backgrounder/Kirikae, and 3GUnrestricter. If Apple implemented those features in their iPhone OS, I wouldn't have any reason to jailbreak, but until they do (though Skype over 3G is theoretically possible now, pending an app update, and backgrounding is coming in OS 4), I will continue to support the great product while still jailbreaking to make it even better.

Justinb51
May 4, 2010, 03:54 AM
ok i dont know what i am doing wrong now!!

I tried to use this on my home computer, with vista, and it didnt work kept getting error messages..
now i am a work and read the posts about using W98 comp. mode. ok so i did that and it said i need to have itunes version 9 to work.

So i downloaded itunes 9 on to my work computer, then tried running it and it still gave me an error message saying that it needed itunes? there already is itunes on the computer. i know im slow but WTF am i doing wrong?

fogcitynative
May 4, 2010, 04:50 AM
Works perfectly on a 3.1.3 3GS!

I have a 16GB iPhone 3gs. Did the factory restore to 3.1.3.
On a Mac, using Snow Leopard. iTunes 9.1.1.
AT&T user, traveling in Europe, roaming on movistar. Activated iPhone.

I have tried to jailbreak with Spirit over a dozen times already with the same result. FAILURE!

The Spirit Splashscreen shows up, the progress bar completes, and then the white spinning wheel just spins forever. The phone never reboots. Tried different cables, different USB ports, with iTunes launched; with iTunes not launched. Tried disconnecting the cable after Spirit says "jailbreak complete" and manually rebooting the iPhone, but that just gives me an Apple logo screen that stays there forever and the phone does not boot.

I haven't tried putting Spirit app in iTunes folder as one user suggested.

Can someone who is using the MAC version of Spirit please tell me what they did to get it to work and complete the jailbreak???

fogcitynative
May 4, 2010, 04:56 AM

huuuuraaay!

I have been unable to get the Spirit Jailbreak to work on my Mac. I have the same thing happen; the purple splashsreen, the progress bar, then the white spinning wheel that seems to go on forever. But maybe I am not patient enough? Everyone says the jailbreak is instant. How long did you wait for the spinning wheel. Does it ever eventually finish and reboot with the jailbreak installed. does spirit need to be in the iTunes folder? I have tried six times now, restoring and trying different things and the result is always the same. The spinning wheel just goes on forever and ever and ever. Can you tell me how you did it??

fogcitynative
May 4, 2010, 05:05 AM

Stuck on the purple screen, white spinning wheel. How long do you wait for it to reboot and load the jailbreak??

stridemat
May 4, 2010, 05:58 AM
Stuck on the purple screen, white spinning wheel. How long do you wait for it to reboot and load the jailbreak??

Took my 3G about 5 minutes. Just let it do its thing.

santangelo
May 4, 2010, 06:05 AM
Do u lose all the paid for apps once u have jaolbroken the iPhone ?

Dagless
May 4, 2010, 06:49 AM
Let me rephrase what you just said to show you how ludicrous you sound. Oh, and I'm an iPhone app developer by the way.

So tell me. Are you going to call for the ban on all things pointy?

Just let me say I'm a developer too (PC and console games).

The difference between your examples are that the majority of knives are used for cooking or as tools. Whereas I'd imagine the majority of jailbreakers are going to break Apple's EULA and terms, their networks terms and (very possibly) download pirated software. Anecdotal it may be but all my friends, family and contacts with jailbroken iPhones/iPods just pirate apps instead of buying them.

Lisbon Lion
May 4, 2010, 07:02 AM

Seconded.

I only JB due to the unlock I need after moving to another country!

ilkevinli
May 4, 2010, 07:04 AM
No.

Do u lose all the paid for apps once u have jaolbroken the iPhone ?

mdelrossi
May 4, 2010, 07:05 AM
@Dagless
"Anecdotal it may be but all my friends, family and contacts with jailbroken iPhones/iPods just pirate apps instead of buying them."
Your'e hanging with the wrong crowd.:cool:

pprshell
May 4, 2010, 07:30 AM
I am using 3.1.2 and jailbroke awhile back using blackra1n.

I have noticed that Rock & Cydia crashes a lot and my battery life is horrible. :mad:

So, my questions/options are
1. should I update my phone to the newest Apple software, then use Spirit to jailbreak
2. do not upgrade to anything and use Spirit not blackra1n
3. or leave it alone all together?

Thanks!

moebius
May 4, 2010, 08:10 AM
I have been unable to get the Spirit Jailbreak to work on my Mac. I have the same thing happen; the purple splashsreen, the progress bar, then the white spinning wheel that seems to go on forever. But maybe I am not patient enough? Everyone says the jailbreak is instant. How long did you wait for the spinning wheel. Does it ever eventually finish and reboot with the jailbreak installed. does spirit need to be in the iTunes folder? I have tried six times now, restoring and trying different things and the result is always the same. The spinning wheel just goes on forever and ever and ever. Can you tell me how you did it??

Hello mate,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems, the only thing I can tell you is to be patient, if "the purple universe" hangs a lot (I waited for more than 5 minutes... yes, I had a chronograph) press home and start, then you will see the apple logo and about 5 minutes later the purple universe but now you will notice the progress bar actually progressing.

For some people the JB seems to be fast (according to some youtube videos) for others, like me, the process takes longer.

Good luck mate.

Vazzyb
May 4, 2010, 08:27 AM
Yes!!!!!!!

Abyssgh0st
May 4, 2010, 08:43 AM
You download Rock via Cydia, although i'm not sure if it's a default source or you have to add the source manually. Once Rock is installed, Cydia is as good as dead to me. :)

Thanks! That's good enough for me, because my phone has been ultra-buggy since I started doing a lot more intensive things such as snooping around in SSH.

coldplaysucks.
May 4, 2010, 08:48 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history

For everyone on dial-up, or who doesn't speak hyperlink, about three months ago

knewsom
May 4, 2010, 08:54 AM
Great.

...tried to install a simple theme (iphone os 4.0) and now my phone won't boot.

Just an apple logo on the screen for ever. Weak. Why did I bother doing this?

Edit: Nevermind - it just took an insanely long time to boot after. Seems to work fine.

alaki
May 4, 2010, 09:02 AM
It was very fast. The whole process was less than 3 minutes on my iphone 3gs.
I was wondering if there is any app that I could flash movies on websites.

army91c
May 4, 2010, 09:15 AM

.....Like it or not, the majority of people who jailbreak also pirate applications.....
...and I have enough friends who have jailbroken their iPhones to know why they do it.....
.....Companies will take more and more extreme measures to protect their software, and while thieves will continue to find ways around it, everyday people will pay for their jailbreakers' misguided idealism......

Wow.... not even sure what to say. I guess need a tissue is best fitting. I hear what you're saying but I'm not buying. I don't think the majority of people JB for cracked apps. You also said it would be worse for people that pay because companies will put stronger security in.... How does that hurt the paying customer? You argument makes no sense.

I for one jailbreak because it's my phone and I will do what I want with it. Why should I let apple decide what my phone is..... that's my job seeing as it was my hard earned greenbacks that put it in my pocket. I will continue to jailbreak and people such as yourself will continue to say it's evil. Kinda like they did with rock-n-roll. :cool:

uedrick
May 4, 2010, 09:25 AM
can someone explain backing up your SHSH blobs

i know it makes sure you can go back to your original firmware. is the whole idea to cover you in case apple decides to change the firmware so a jailbreak ceases to work

also what's the best software to back up these files

army91c
May 4, 2010, 09:33 AM
Man the hits just keep coming with you and I'm only on page 2!

Yes they do, how about you stop making them.

I just don't think MacRumors should validate it by posting stories about it.
About what? JB is not piracy. No matter how much you wish it to be true it's still not. MR posted story about JAILBREAKING not HACKING APPS. Try www.hookedonphonics.com to improve reading comprehension.

In the end, jailbreaking is as much of a detrimental activity to iPhone developers as everyone on these forums complains that the App Store is.
LoL, now that's a funny one. Look how many apps/themes people make that are on Rock/Cydia and then try and say that without laughing.
Honestly, willful ignorance is not an argument against this.
Yeah you're right.... Your ignorance is pretty astounding. Making such wild accusations about a group of people when you couldn't possibly know anything about them is just sad.
If you want to shamelessly avoid guilt or recognition for supporting piracy, by all means go ahead.. but don't use the "you can't prove it!" argument.
Wow, another baseless statement.

army91c
May 4, 2010, 09:36 AM
.....I equate jailbreaking as the only viable method of piracy on the iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad.
).

Maybe you need to find some new friends.

army91c
May 4, 2010, 09:43 AM
I think it's worth mentioning that it's always possible that you could permanently "brick" your iPad or iPhone by jailbreaking it. If you do some searching you will see that it does happen occasionally. Some people have gotten themselves into a situation where the device wouldn't even boot up. So it is not without risks. Yes I know that most people don't have any trouble, but it does happen. Given the fact that it's a just released beta hack and is quite unstable (just do a bit of Googling) I would be very careful about pulling the trigger on your brand new iPad. I've seen plenty of "Help! I tried to jailbreak and it froze up on me and I can't even restore" cries for help on forums.

Having said that, I did install it on my iPhone 3GS just to check it out. It's VERY unstable and I decided to restore, and I was able to, but I'm afraid to try it on my iPad. As unstable and beta as it is, there isn't any benefit compelling enough for me to take the risk.

LoL... another FB! Mine is runnin fine.... I would venture to say the majority of people that did this are doin fine. Just because you had issues (Hmmmm wonder why :rolleyes:) doesn't mean every one does. As far as other people on google.... hey gotta have dumb people in the world or you wouldn't have smart ones. Bricking is an urban legend from times long ago. If your phone get's bricked it had nothing to do with the JB, most likely what some sap put on his/her phone after JB. Nice try though. :rolleyes:

Vazzyb
May 4, 2010, 09:46 AM
Now that im jailbroken (with Spirit) with the new boot room on 3.1.3 with my 3GS - is there a way to unlock with this configuration yet?

kingtj
May 4, 2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah.... jailbreaking has *nothing* to do with pirating, unless someone wants to take extra steps to go there with it.

Honestly, I've run jailbroken iPhones for years now, and never used them to download commercial apps without paying for them. In the beginning, jailbreaking was simply a way to get ahold of more cool FREEWARE applications, because the official "App Store" wasn't really offering a whole lot yet. Many developers were individuals not interested in paying Apple that $99 fee to be ALLOWED to submit apps, or were people (like the custom theme makers) who simply wanted to offer things that Apple wouldn't ever approve.

Recently, out of pure curiosity, I looked into the procedure for downloading pirated apps. Turns out it's a big, inelegant mess and hardly worth the trouble for most people anyway! You have to go to some effort to manually add repositories to the default list in Cydia, and then download *another* installer tool. Unlike Cydia, it simply lets you do searches for pirated apps by name and IF it can find them, sends you off to links to download them from various sites like Rapidshare, MegaUpload, etc. (And as many of you may know, those sites aren't much fun to download anything from. If the file isn't already removed, you're stuck entering captcha codes and waiting upwards of 60 seconds before a transfer starts, since you're not logged in to them as a paid "premium user".) If you finally get the cracked app you were seeking, then there's a good chance it's not even a current version of it....

Oh, and after all THAT? There are apparently issues with getting iTunes to actually sync those cracked apps when you sync your iPhone. So generally, they don't ever get backed up. If your iPhone crashes or needs a restore for some reason, you lose all those pirated apps.

Wow.... not even sure what to say. I guess need a tissue is best fitting. I hear what you're saying but I'm not buying. I don't think the majority of people JB for cracked apps. You also said it would be worse for people that pay because companies will put stronger security in.... How does that hurt the paying customer? You argument makes no sense.

I for one jailbreak because it's my phone and I will do what I want with it. Why should I let apple decide what my phone is..... that's my job seeing as it was my hard earned greenbacks that put it in my pocket. I will continue to jailbreak and people such as yourself will continue to say it's evil. Kinda like they did with rock-n-roll. :cool:

ChazUK
May 4, 2010, 10:03 AM
I jailbroke my wife and I's iPods and installed the OS4 theme for her, the iPad theme for me and backgrounder on both iPods.

Very useful. No piracy here, I pay for my apps and support developers thanks. :cool:

cocky jeremy
May 4, 2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks! That's good enough for me, because my phone has been ultra-buggy since I started doing a lot more intensive things such as snooping around in SSH.

No problem. Check my other post on advantages of Rock over Cydia. I used to have to keep a list and when i'd restore i would have to go back in Cydia and manually re-download all of my stuff. Now, i login to Rock, click restore and BOOM.. all my ringtones, apps, themes are all back within a minute or two.. automatically! :)

foranor
May 4, 2010, 10:23 AM
So, now which is the preferred method of doing it?

I have a 3GS 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n.

If I got this (and the Spirit site) right, I should:
restore to lose my current JB,
update to 3.1.3
use spirit
reinstall sbsettings and the rest

Cydia also tells me I have SHSH for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, although I wouldn't know where or how to get them back.
Actually I just checked, and Cydia tells me nothing of that kind because Spirit release increased traffic to the TSS server.

Is my understanding correct? Can I skip restoring before update to 3.1.3?

Thanks..

Edit: I get a virus warning for a trojan on the spirit file, according to virustotal.com it is recognized by two scanners.. Anyone else worried?

organerito
May 4, 2010, 10:47 AM
Ok thanks for tip. One more question. How do I run it under W98 compatibility mode? I'm sorry but that is totally "Greek" to me. (I'm on vista btw)

1.- Right click on the Spirit.exe file
2.- Properties
3.- Compatibility
4.-Choose W98
5.-Run this program in compatibility mode
6.- Apply
7.- Ok
8.- Jailbreak.

turbo87
May 4, 2010, 10:54 AM
Anyone have success using Spirit on Mac Tiger/G4 system? I tried several times and can't get past the "jailbreaking" screen on Spirit. I have a Iphone 3G with 3.1.3 OS. Any suggestions? Thanks!

troller
May 4, 2010, 11:34 AM
awesome

Cinemagic
May 4, 2010, 01:21 PM
dont have a ipad but it has bluetooth. Does it not allow bluetooth connections?

This is Apple's way of selling more 3G iPads. When (and if) AT&T and Apple enable tethering, it will be via Bluetooth or USB only. The iPad specifically will not tether via Bluetooth and will not connect via USB to another iPhone OS device. The non-3G iPad will only get connected to the Internet via WiFi. The only way the iPad can connect to the Internet via an iPhone is if the iPhone is jailbroken and has an application enabling it to become a WiFi access point.

Percybut
May 4, 2010, 01:55 PM

Moreover, if anyone wants to kill, guns are there to facilitate them. I think we should change our constitution to not allow guns too. We should also ban discussions about guns, just like we should ban discussions about JB on Macrumors.

JB harms iPhone developers? IMO, the way the App Store operates harms the iPhone developers. Lots of them switched to develop for Cydia---they are still iPhone developers and they are happy. (Just in case you don't realize, Cydia apps are not free. We pay the developers too)

If you look on the App Store, there isn't even a free ssh client. If you JB, OpenSSH is there for you. Not every one JBs for pirating, just like not every gun is used for killing. Yes, we see people doing bad things with guns everyday, but we still haven't changed our constitution means something.

BlackJacques
May 4, 2010, 02:02 PM
First time jailbreaker. When I use Cydia to install MyWi, it always fails with three messages:

"http://apt.saurik.com Host Unreachable"
"http://apt.modmyi.com Host Unreachable"
"Host Unreachable"

Anyone?

BeSweeet
May 4, 2010, 02:11 PM
First time jailbreaker. When I use Cydia to install MyWi, it always fails with three messages:

"Host Unreachable"

Anyone?

Are you connected to the internet?

grapes911
May 4, 2010, 02:13 PM

"Host Unreachable"

Anyone?

The sites are still being hammered. Try again later.

BlackJacques
May 4, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm connected and I can reach both URLs from Safari with my iPhone.

BeSweeet
May 4, 2010, 02:22 PM
The sites are still being hammered. Try again later.

Then explain to me why I can successfully refresh my sources? Thank you very much.

grapes911
May 4, 2010, 02:28 PM
Then explain to me why I can successfully refresh my sources? Thank you very much.

I was getting the same errors last night. This morning things worked fine. Who knows what things happen during crazy usage. I won't bet on it, but just keep trying every few hours and I'm sure it will work soon.

BlackJacques
May 4, 2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks. Appreciate the replies.

Just to be clear, when I can get past those messages, this is the route I should go to do a first install of mywi even though I have not yet paid for it, or have a login, correct?

jimmy83
May 4, 2010, 03:02 PM
Its work jailbreaking for 'quickreply' imo

peejer
May 4, 2010, 04:55 PM
I've read about having to change your root password from "alpine." Is this something we do with all jailbroken phones? Do I have to do this with this Spirit method?

Thanks!

BeSweeet
May 4, 2010, 04:58 PM
I've read about having to change your root password from "alpine." Is this something we do with all jailbroken phones? Do I have to do this with this Spirit method?

Thanks!

That's only if you install OpenSSH via Cydia. If you don't know what OpenSSH is, then you're in good shape :cool:.

ngenerator
May 4, 2010, 05:13 PM
I wonder how long until we see updates for 3.1.4 and 3.2.1 :) Hopefully not for some time..

WhirlinGraphics
May 4, 2010, 05:27 PM
I jailbroke my iPhone 2G last night.

First time trying I got the never ending install process. Put the phone into Recovery Mode (google it) and restored to my iTunes. Took FOREVER to sync 10GB's of data. If I was thinking I would have unchecked a bunch of synced items beforehand. Spirit website says they have fixed the 'erased photos' bug but I would still recommend you back them up. After my phone finished syncing I ran the Spirit app again. It did it's thing and rebooted with Cydia app installed. Took me a little bit to find the proper 'Rock' program which is officially called "RockApp". MyWi is awesome because I am getting 4 to 4.5 times my dial-up download speeds now! Not very impressive to most of you but it is HUGE for me!
:cool:
Only other app that interests me at the moment is: IntelliScreen.

Kedrik
May 4, 2010, 07:58 PM
I jailbroke? for the first time today, and have loaded mywi on my 3gs. I am writing this on my Macbook pro using Mywi. The speed is amazing. the 3g is much faster when using my laptop than it ever is on the iPhone. Why that is, is beyond me. I was nervous to jailbreak so I tried it on my old first generation iPhone 4gig, it took two tries. The first time it hung at the tie dye screen. the second time it loaded right up. So I went ahead and did it to my 3Gs and it worked flawlessly and fast first time. This all really seems way too good to be true. Someone will shut us down I just know it.

Kedrik:D

peejer
May 4, 2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks besweet!

andreab35
May 4, 2010, 08:36 PM
I jailbroke my 2G phone I used to have ages ago... back at the 1.x.x software.

Since I saw Spirit, I decided to give it a shot for my 3Gs.
I have 3.1.3. I backed the phone up. I downloaded Spirit for my Mac. I jailbroke the phone and it was stuck on the spinning tie dye screen. It sat there like that for 20 minutes. I restarted the phone and now I can't even boot or recover the phone (even trying to do a recovery mode). It's just stuck on the apple screen. I'm currently just downloading the firmware to attempt to restore the phone somehow... if iTunes will recognize it.

Help guys!

WhirlinGraphics
May 4, 2010, 08:57 PM
Help guys!

Try DFU mode restore before trying to do things manually.
http://www.iphoneheat.com/2009/04/how-to-put-iphone-in-dfu-mode/

I just tried using MyWi with a WEP password. Didn't work at all and had to switch it back to open. I used a 10 digit numeric password, anybody know what could have went wrong?

cocky jeremy
May 4, 2010, 09:00 PM
I recommend "tlert" for anyone jailbreaking. It's only like $.99 and it allows you to reply to texts without having to close whatever app you have open. Plus, you get a trial with it, so you don't have to buy it before trying. I'll jailbreak forever for this alone. (Not to mention themes, sms bubble themes, etc.) Ringtones aren't a problem. I make them myself from my mp3's on an application on my Mac called "Ringer"

rdlink
May 4, 2010, 10:25 PM

Do you really think that there would be so much piracy activity (i.e., availability), if people weren't taking advantage of it?

Oh my God! Let's outlaw drinking, because people drink and drive. And let's outlaw guns, because people commit crimes with them. And let's outlaw green Nissan Pathfinders, because people rig them up to explode and leave them in Times Square.

What an idiotic argument. I jailbreak my phone to get the HELL away from AT&T. That's all. Nothing more. I'm not a criminal.

IamFaustus
May 4, 2010, 11:17 PM
First time jailbreaker here (only for added functionality).

I have a 13" macbook pro with 10.6.3 using itunes 9.1.1. The whole process couldn't have taken more than three minutes. I don't know if I got lucky here but there is hope if you have a mac:).

btx2brother
May 5, 2010, 01:46 AM

Just click on the link and it's right there. Yes.

Actually working on iPhone 3Gs Newbootrom firmware 3.1.3 :)

btx2brother
May 5, 2010, 01:50 AM
is there Any Instructions on how to Do this?

Please Enjoy this Tutorial of Spirit Jailbreak:

To follow these instructions you must be using an activated device not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen.

Any version of iTunes 9 til 9.1.1 will work.

Step One
Download the Spirit Jailbreak and save it to your desktop.

Step Two
Double click the Spirit.app.zip file on your desktop to extract it.
http://iclarified.com/images/tutorials/9201/32029/32029.png

Step Three
Double click the Spirit application to launch it
http://iclarified.com/images/tutorials/9201/32025/32025.png

Step Four
Connect your iPhone and press the Jailbreak button.
http://iclarified.com/images/tutorials/9201/32026/32026.png
http://iclarified.com/images/tutorials/9201/32027/32027.png

Step Five
The Spirit app will then let you know the jailbreak is complete.
http://iclarified.com/images/tutorials/9201/32028/32028.png

Your iPhone will reboot and show you progress indicator. Once this finishes your iPhone will be jailbroken with Cydia installed!

:apple::cool::apple:

beerglass007
May 5, 2010, 07:35 AM
Hi all

Before I start this thread, I have been jailbreaking phones since the very very start and fully aware of what I'm doing.

But since upgrading to 3.1.3 and running spirit on my 3GS I've had massive battery drain.

Yesterday I fully charged my iphone 4 times.

It was on 3.1.2 and jailbreaked with pwange ( iphone dev team ) without any problems. I then upgraded to 3.1.3. and JB with spirit, now I'm getting silly battery life.

No new apps have been installed since the upgrade and JB. Is this a spirit or 3.1.3 issue?

Thanks in advance

shaunymac
May 5, 2010, 02:32 PM
Wow, it gets easier and easier.

That took 30s or so.

Now I have to see if I remeber all of those sources...I spoiled myself with a 3GS and have been stock for awhile. I feel FREE again.

Thank You!

ouimetnick
May 9, 2010, 06:47 PM
I know this is old. But I finally decided to try jailbreaking on my iPhone until OS 4 rolls around. I jaulbroke my iPod touch 2G when I had it. My thing is, I jailbroke the 3GS with all my stuff on it. It went fine, and Cydia was installed. I launch Cydia, and it does somethings and claims it will restart automagicaly for me when dome. It restarded, and not Cydia is gone. :( I obviously had backed up my iPhone before jailbreaking, so I'm doing a DFU restore, and will attempt to jailbreak it again, but with nothing on it. Will that work?

Scyrnn
May 16, 2010, 09:05 AM
Hello macrumors community,

I read patiently through all the pages of this thread but it seems like no one has had the same problem as I have?

I own an iPhone 3g 16gb, version 3.0

2 weeks ago I jailbroke and unlocked it for tmobile. Lately I was way in over my head and I was download weird stuff from cydia and install0us that I never needed. My iPhone was acting up so I came to the decision to format it and rejailbreak and unlock it, but never repeat the same mistake I made.

I formatted through the iPhone feature not through iTunes because I didn't want it to update. It finished its very long 2 hour format. When the progress bar had gone, the apple logo was stuck, and now it has restarted every 5 minutes to go back to that same apple logo.

I looked online and I know how to get into DFU mode, but iTunes wants me to Restore and Update, which would result in 3.1.3. The big question is, does this jailbreak work for the latest baseband. I need it to be unlocked for tmobile also, am I screwed? If someone who has knowledge of this issue please kindly explain or run me through my crisis.

Thanks,
Scyrnn

BeSweeet
May 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
All jailbreaks work with their respective baseband update, but the latest baseband isn't unlockable. You'll have to use PwnageTool to create a custom 3.1.3 IPSW restore file that preserves your baseband.

Scyrnn
May 16, 2010, 09:10 AM
How will iTunes know I have a backup restore (that is customly made to keep the baseband) because all I have is one button to press and thats restore, and when I do it asks if I really want to "Restore and Update"

bytethese
May 16, 2010, 09:17 AM
How will iTunes know I have a backup restore (that is customly made to keep the baseband) because all I have is one button to press and thats restore, and when I do it asks if I really want to "Restore and Update"

You press Alt on yor keyboard then click Restore, you then select your custom firmware you made with Pwnage Tool. :)

Scyrnn
May 16, 2010, 09:19 AM
Is there anyway I can just find one done for me online? Maybe a version 3.0 for iphone 3g, because I have no knowledge of Pwnage Tools and on top of that any Apple knowledge at all

BeSweeet
May 16, 2010, 09:23 AM
You probably can, but I wouldn't trust them. PwnageTool is pretty simple. Once you get to the unlocking area, you should have the option of preserving the baseband.