PDA

View Full Version : Incipio DermaSHOT Hands on Review

Pigs
May 3, 2010, 04:56 PM
Received my Incipio DermaSHOT today from Amazon. I pre-ordered it about a week and a half ago when Amazon ran a special for $20.

Fit: The case fits well with everything lining up correctly. The top switch and volume are covered but the material is flexible and allows you to easily manipulate the buttons.

The one issue with this and every other silicone flexible case I have tried is it "slides" off the sides when you grip the iPad in portrait mode. This isn't such an issue on the iPhone but the larger iPad really amplifies the problem. A less flexible case may help this or a tighter fit.

Feel: The material itself feels great in the hand, still a tad slippery but much better than naked. The square imbossed in the back makes it easy to grip the iPad. One note tho, in the picture on the website the Apple logo shows through but that is not the case.

It is pretty light for what the material is and hollowing it out definitely helped with weight. It is of course too thick for the dock but I may keep it as it will have more protection than the Switcheasy Nude and Incipio Feather that are on their way.

nightfly13
May 4, 2010, 04:24 AM
Thanks for this review. I think the spelling is durmaSHOT (with an a) and that could be why this helpful review hasn't received much attention. I wasn't correcting your spelling of SHOT, but that's how they advertise it.

Anyway, amazon still says it's just preorder (product not yet released) but a reseller has it for $30 shipped ($25+5). Other people have these yet in the wild?

Pigs
May 4, 2010, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the heads up on that. Edited my original post.

If anyone has any questions or needs a specific picture let me know.

ScubaCinci
May 4, 2010, 07:36 AM
I think the spelling is durmaSHOT (with an a) and that could be why this helpful review hasn't received much attention.

Pics would be nice as well

Pigs
May 4, 2010, 08:35 AM
I figured the pics from iLounge would be better than I can take with my iPhone, is there something that you are looking for?

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/reviews_incipio/dermashotipad/8.jpg

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/reviews_incipio/dermashotipad/1.jpg

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/reviews_incipio/dermashotipad/2.jpg

nightfly13
May 4, 2010, 10:24 AM
Assuming it's actually in stock somewhere, I'm looking at this and the Incipio 1337 (http://www.myincipio.com/apple_ipad_cases/ipad-1337-silicone-gaming-case) (huge bulky corner skin). Can't find that cheaper than the $35 msrp. Not sure I want to effectively double the size of my iPad, but I'm pretty paranoid about my kids busting the screen. They already busted an encased iPhone screen last week.

Pigs
May 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
I am going to say that this would not be kid friendly. It is just loose enough that it slips over the sides of the iPad and slippery enough a kid may drop it. My 5 year old is very careful, she has my old original iPhone that she uses and knows to take care of things and she almost dropped it when the side slipped off.

nightfly13
May 4, 2010, 11:40 AM
Do you think the 1337 in my link above would be kid-friendlier?

bmorley
May 4, 2010, 12:17 PM
Another thing to note is that it doesn't come with a video stand as is mentioned on the website, however they do include a screen protector (oddly enough this isn't mentioned in the description).

I purchased the gray version and have been pretty happy with it. Like the OP said, the logo doesn't show through which is a bit disappointing but in retrospect not really all that surprising. Very sturdy and feels like a bumper around the iPad. The edges do roll somewhat, but I haven't found it to be too much of a problem. Mostly noticeable where it is thinned due to the cutouts near the speaker and dock.

Pigs
May 4, 2010, 12:41 PM
Do you think the 1337 in my link above would be kid-friendlier?

It says it is made of out of the high density silicon like the DermaSHOT but seems to be thicker which should make it stiffer and less able to roll off the edges.

It's really tough buying these cases sight unseen.

If I were to get one for my daughter to bang around with I would seriously look at either the Hard Candy Street Skin (http://www.hardcandycases.com/ipad-streetskin.html)
or the Scosche Hybrid (http://ipadcasefinder.com/scosche/hybrid-case/).

These silicone cases just do not stay on the iPad well enough.

SchneiderMan
May 4, 2010, 02:07 PM
The 1337 and the Dermashot are exactly the same, except the 1337 has extra grip handles and that's what makes it much heavier but gives you a much more comfortable grip. The 1337 is very bulky and will make you iPad much heavier, but it's made for "gaming" although you can use it for other tasks if you would like too.. There is not a single thing that's wrong with it other then the weight but that's acceptable.

nightfly13
May 5, 2010, 04:01 AM
The 1337 and the Dermashot are exactly the same, except the 1337 has extra grip handles and that's what makes it much heavier but gives you a much more comfortable grip. The 1337 is very bulky and will make you iPad much heavier, but it's made for "gaming" although you can use it for other tasks if you would like too.. There is not a single thing that's wrong with it other then the weight but that's acceptable.

Thanks, I've been to your webpage and seen your video, nice to see you on MR :)

The Star Wars fan in me likes the scosche but it's spendy, not yet released and doesn't cover the screen. Any idea how I can find the respective weights of the two cases in question (dermashot and 1337)?

And the Street Skin is still a contender, just not sure we want to fiddle with attaching the screen cover's 4 corners all the time.

nightfly13
May 5, 2010, 04:08 AM
Hate to hijack this into a 1337 thread, but do you feel the difference is more added comfort/functionality for gaming, or do you think the 1337 also gives better protection? My iPad will face abuse from a 4 and 3 year old (and the 1 year old will probably have her chance, too).

SchneiderMan
May 5, 2010, 04:25 AM
The 1337 on the iPad will be very heavy for your kids to hold I think but I might be wrong lol. The 1337 will provide a little more protection over the DermaShot. But the 1337 is more of a unique at home case that is bulky and does give you optimal grip and comfort (If a little more added weight is not an issue for you to hold). If you plan on using your iPad everywhere I would go with the Dermashot or even get both. Just so you know they are both exatly the same except for the 1337 having those extra bumpy grips.

Btw I have tried Incase's gaming grip case, and I think that Incipio's 1337 case is much better.