PDA

View Full Version : PowerSupport's Anti Glare protector?

steffi
May 3, 2010, 05:09 PM
Good or bad? blurry or non-blurry? any pictures of text in Safari when it's on?

GoCubsGo
May 3, 2010, 05:12 PM
check out these two threads.
I'm curious myself but I'll just order to find out.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=906539
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=904135

MigsVuitton
May 3, 2010, 06:17 PM
I just placed an order. If it's anything like the iPhone version it should be fantastic. Def. not as pristine as the glass without a screen, but still very good, reduces smudges to almost nothing, and is fantastic outdoors.

Advil
May 3, 2010, 06:35 PM
I've used these on my iPhone before and I love them. I'm definitely looking into one for my iPad but I'm trying to decide between PS and Steinheil.

Rbrb1
May 3, 2010, 07:26 PM
I just got mine delivered today. I have one on my iPhone and think it's a quality product. The glare and constant fingerprints on iPad was driving me crazy. That said, there is a trade off using a screen protector.

On the plus side, the powersupport protector fit perfectly and went on very easily as long as you follow their directions (clean the screen really well first). It has definitely cut down the glare substantially. And no more fingerprints to wipe.

On the downside, it does change the feel of the screen. There is something really great about using the glass screen without a protector. It just feels better. Also, it does make things slightly less sharp, slightly duller. I've upped the brightness to compensate.

For me, I'm pretty sure it is worth the tradeoff. I figure after a few days I won't remember my iPad feeling any different but I will remember that I don't have glare and don't have to constantly clean the screen. Good job PS!

WLS
May 4, 2010, 06:50 AM
I haven't heard much about the crystal version. It is supposed to have less blur but what about fingerprints? Any actual users care to report on it?

richpjr
May 4, 2010, 11:23 AM
What about the home button? Do the screen protectors cover it? Or is there a hole in it?

ScubaCinci
May 4, 2010, 11:47 AM
I haven't heard much about the crystal version. It is supposed to have less blur but what about fingerprints? Any actual users care to report on it?

I ordered the crystal version and I'm hoping it shows up today. I'll report back my impressions.

Mshilling
May 4, 2010, 11:50 AM
What about the home button? Do the screen protectors cover it? Or is there a hole in it?

hole

Acevesx
May 4, 2010, 11:58 AM
I have it and love it, glare is reduced significantly. The only thing that sucks is I have like 4 or 5 pieces of dust under it that are really annoying!

iPad1iPad
May 4, 2010, 01:26 PM
I have the PowerSupport Crystal version for the iPad and I love it! It cuts down on some of the glare and the fingerprints aren't quite as noticeable. You do still have to clean the screen with a microfiber cloth every once and a while, but no big deal.

What I like about it is that it fits the iPad perfectly and it gives the screen a nice smooth feel (my fingers slide better on the screen protector than they do the raw glass). Plus, I am very confident that the screen is protected from scratches and wear of the olephobic coating (according to the iPad User Guide this coating dimishes over time).

Installing the screen protector was a little more difficult than the one for my iPod Touch due to the size. With the iPad version, they do not provide the pre-application sheet to remove lint, hair or dust, so you will need to install it after a good microfiber cloth cleaning and in good lighting (save yourself time and check for any dust before you apply the screen protector). Last second dust or lint that falls on the glass before the screen protector is applied can be removed by peeling back the screen protector to the problem spot and using a rolled piece of transparent (Scotch) tape to remove the dust (just follow the instructions that come with the screen protector!). Bubbles easily work their way out by applying slight pressure and pushing them to the edge. After about 10 minutes, my protector was on and clean of any dust or bubbles. Can't even tell it is on!

Welovelegend
May 4, 2010, 01:48 PM
Love mine on the iPhone. Just ordered the anti-glare for iPad. I have to say it is the best so far.

aluren
May 4, 2010, 05:40 PM
Wow, $32.28 for a piece of anti-glare film including tax and shipping. It's a little pricey. Anyone know when it'll be out on Amazon?

MigsVuitton
May 4, 2010, 05:57 PM
In general, I've always found accessories for the iPhone (and now iPad) to be over-priced but if this lasts me the entire life of the iPad, which my iPhone screen protector has, then I'll be happy.

I also love the fact that it eliminates glare AND smudges. Smudges being the one thing I hate about touch devices.

GoCubsGo
May 4, 2010, 05:58 PM
Wow, $32.28 for a piece of anti-glare film including tax and shipping. It's a little pricey. Anyone know when it'll be out on Amazon?

3-7 days.

Why would we know?

DNAppleGold
May 5, 2010, 05:27 PM
What's the difference? On line the descriptions are almost identical.

GoCubsGo
May 5, 2010, 05:35 PM
What's the difference? On line the descriptions are almost identical.

The difference is in the title. Anti-glare or crystal clear.

Godzirra!
May 5, 2010, 06:45 PM
Just got done putting mine on, and it is awesome!!!! The change of screen sharpness is there, definitely a little more blurry, but it is negligible. I have some dust still under the screen protector but it isn't causing bubbles and you can't see it without the screen off. Does change the feel, but I am sure it will get smoother. Definitely recommend it, really simple to out on. Just make sure you have some tape.

billyripkin
May 5, 2010, 07:32 PM
If you have a iPad you need one of these. I treat mine like a baby and still got some minor scratches within 3 weeks on the glass. I got my screen on perfectly and it majorly reduces the glare and smudges. Best $30 I have spent this month.

steffi
May 5, 2010, 07:59 PM
I received mine today and I've got a perfect install as I took a ruler and simply worked it along as it flattened out and there's not a single bubble anywhere.

I highly recommend using the ruler as you lay it on the screen it will make for a perfect install.

IMHO the effect u you see is exactly the same as the iPhone. If you don't find the clarify an issue on the iPhone you won't on the iPad. For me it will be a trial since it definately diminishes the clarity of the display. It will be significantly less sharp right from the get go.

I do like how it hides finger prints and the most important factor is that your finger now glides across the screen instead of getting stuck as you swipe.

I'll be trying to tolerate this as much as possible.

If you have a iPad you need one of these. I treat mine like a baby and still got some minor scratches within 3 weeks on the glass. I got my screen on perfectly and it majorly reduces the glare and smudges. Best $30 I have spent this month.

Apple all life
May 5, 2010, 08:10 PM
I just installed the sgp anti glare. Very easy install but the clarity is very diminished. I do like how it feels and I am going to give it a few days to see if I like it. I really miss the beautiful screen though.

JayMysterio
May 5, 2010, 08:29 PM
Fingerprints are gone.

As is the intensity of your screen.

It really does mute the intensity of the IPad screen. The trade off of course is that your screen always seems to be perfectly clear, no wiping it down every other minute.

h00ligan
May 5, 2010, 08:48 PM
I've used these on my iPhone before and I love them. I'm definitely looking into one for my iPad but I'm trying to decide between PS and Steinheil.

I'm in the same boat...I wonder what return policies are for both..and how customer support is..that's probably a bigger deal than the minor quality differences, if any. Let us know what you chose! I never opted for antiglare on my iPhone as the 3GS seemed to do fine..the iPad is tough with even overhead lighting, let alone outside. Also, I am tempted to try a much cheaper eBay option as mot of these companies are not producing their own product just rebranding the same one.

clayj
May 5, 2010, 09:17 PM
I just received my Power Support antiglare film in the mail today... but I'm not installing it until my SGP antiglare film needs replacing. $25 is a bit much to just pull the old film off and discard it after only a few days of use.

There really is no perfect solution for this -- a glossy, sharp screen is going to show fingerprints and smudges. Whether you get antiglare film or crystal film, you need film -- the glass is going to get scratched if you don't protect it.

h00ligan
May 5, 2010, 09:25 PM
I just received my Power Support antiglare film in the mail today... but I'm not installing it until my SGP antiglare film needs replacing. $25 is a bit much to just pull the old film off and discard it after only a few days of use.

There really is no perfect solution for this -- a glossy, sharp screen is going to show fingerprints and smudges. Whether you get antiglare film or crystal film, you need film -- the glass is going to get scratched if you don't protect it.

What led you to change from sgp? Between the two I was leaning toward sgp. I still think these are way overpriced and am looking at trying some much less costly versions.

clayj
May 5, 2010, 10:05 PM
What led you to change from sgp? Between the two I was leaning toward sgp. I still think these are way overpriced and am looking at trying some much less costly versions.It wasn't so much being personally dissatisfied with the SGP as it was just wanting to compare the two different films. There have been a lot of comments back and forth about which one is better. I've always used Power Support film on my iPhones and iPod Touch, but I got the SGP film for the iPad first because it was the first one I read good comments about.

awonder
May 6, 2010, 08:44 AM
I just ordered the Power Support Anti-Glare.

When you guys installed the film, did you align it at the top of the screen and then drop the film down, towards the home button at the bottom? Or do you align it at the side of the screen instead? Just wondering what works best.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

mcdj
May 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
Plus, I am very confident that the screen is protected from scratches and wear of the olephobic coating (according to the iPad User Guide this coating dimishes over time).

Protecting the oleophobic coating is a pretty silly reason to use a screen protector. If you always use a screen protector you will never need the coating.

That said, I picked up a 2 pack of Speck anti glares, for the same price as one Power Support. I do see a tiny bit of softening of the screen, on text mostly, but it far outweighs the annoyance of constant fingerprints. I have used Power Support ant glare on all 3 versions of my iPhone and I can say unequivocally that the Speck protectors are as good if not a bit better, as the seem to be a tad thinner than the PS.

brn2ski00
May 6, 2010, 10:11 AM
i am sure its the same as the iPhone version.

i have used both for my iPhone and they rock! highly recommended....

macrobat
May 6, 2010, 02:25 PM
spent $32 and got dust in the shield and wasted it CRAP! had to order a new one i hate putting these on easy on a iphone pain in the arse on an ipad.:mad:

iPad1iPad
May 6, 2010, 03:58 PM
Protecting the oleophobic coating is a pretty silly reason to use a screen protector. If you always use a screen protector you will never need the coating.

That said, I picked up a 2 pack of Speck anti glares, for the same price as one Power Support. I do see a tiny bit of softening of the screen, on text mostly, but it far outweighs the annoyance of constant fingerprints. I have used Power Support ant glare on all 3 versions of my iPhone and I can say unequivocally that the Speck protectors are as good if not a bit better, as the seem to be a tad thinner than the PS.

Read my post again. Protecting the coating is not the only reason I bought the screen protector...just one of a many.

And, protecting the oleophobic coating is not silly if you want to keep the iPad in new condition for resale.

iPad1iPad
May 6, 2010, 04:09 PM
spent $32 and got dust in the shield and wasted it CRAP! had to order a new one i hate putting these on easy on a iphone pain in the arse on an ipad.:mad:

How much dust? Small enough to have used transparent tape (rolled sticky side out on your finger) from the static side of the protector? I had some dust too and it was easy to remove.

Hendjaz
May 6, 2010, 04:56 PM

So how did the anti-glare function of the Speck work for you? Reduce the glare enough for you to comfortably read text or view pictures/video in the sun?

mcdj
May 7, 2010, 12:01 AM
So how did the anti-glare function of the Speck work for you? Reduce the glare enough for you to comfortably read text or view pictures/video in the sun?

it's decent. not perfect. I don't think the ipad is really ideal for outdoor use in bright sun period. glare aside, the screen isn't really bright enough to compete with bright sun.

RaceTripper
May 7, 2010, 07:36 PM
I did too, but just washed it with water and hand soap. You can always clean and reuse these films. No need to repurchase them because you trapped dust.

xraytech
May 7, 2010, 07:59 PM

You can clean it. I've cleaned one for my iPhone and it is flawless.

macrobat
May 7, 2010, 09:43 PM
How much dust? Small enough to have used transparent tape (rolled sticky side out on your finger) from the static side of the protector? I had some dust too and it was easy to remove.

i hate that i am reading this now. Well I know what to do for my next one, this is clever by the way good advice. ;)

LouieSamman
May 8, 2010, 01:16 AM
I'm going crazy over if I should get the PowerSupport or the ClearCal for anti-glare.

ClearCal gives you two films and a cloth for $5 less than the PowerSupport Film

The PowerSupport gives you one film with no cloth for $5 more.

I'm guessing the PowerSupport is a better grade of film than the ClearCal.

Am I wrong on this?

MigsVuitton
May 8, 2010, 01:26 AM
For all of you saying to just wash with hand soap and water for reapplication, how do you dry them? I would assume wipe dry would leave dust/particles. Do you just let it hang dry?

alphaod
May 8, 2010, 01:30 AM
Ordered a protector from Power Support as well, except mine came with what looked like cardboard shredding under film to begin with. A quick chat with Power Support and they sent me a new one. Stellar support (:D).

So I also ordered 2 more for back up. Since I just scratched mine already (yep it's a big scratch—but at least my iPad is safe!).

xraytech
May 8, 2010, 03:09 AM
For all of you saying to just wash with hand soap and water for reapplication, how do you dry them? I would assume wipe dry would leave dust/particles. Do you just let it hang dry?

DO NOT WIPE OR HANG DRY

Apply while wet and use a credit card to squeegee out the water and air bubbles. Just make sure you apply the correct side.

macduke
May 8, 2010, 07:04 AM
I purchased and installed this screen protector as I have used them on my iPhone, iPhone 3g, and iPhone 3GS. I thought I was about to go crazy until I got this thing in the mail. I do not like using the bare screen. My fingers catch too much on the oleophobic coating and with the protector they slide easily across the surface. In addition, I don't have to wipe it down all the time and the glare of surrounding objects is softened to the point of being trivial.

The device is a dream after installing this product. I couldn't believe how much better it felt and reacted. Now when I'm out in public I don't have to be embarrassed about my dirty oily screen that I have to rub on my shirt (belly) every 10 minutes. It's also much easier to draw on now, which is something I use it for a lot to do mockup drafts of assignments in class.

These is a slight fuzz to things when you look up close, but I find myself holding the iPad much further away from my face than an iPhone, and also find the benefits to outweigh this small shortcoming. I highly recommend this product, though its biggest downside is that it only comes with one! For $25 you'd think they could include two flimsy pieces of plastic. Also, at least for me, it was pretty trick to install. Make sure you turn off the A/C and let the air settle for awhile before applying. I wiped the screen clean several times using professional lens cleaner and microfiber cloth and there were still tiny pieces. Work quickly! And use scotch tape to grab the pieces trapped underneath. Use the scotch tape to pull the protector back up also. If you use your fingernails on the edges, it can bend it and it might not go back down flush. I learned this tip from a "genius" at the Apple Store. I can tell you from experience that this is true using iPhone versions.

Attached is an photo I snapped using my 3GS:

Imsuperjp
May 8, 2010, 04:33 PM
I just received mine and love it. The screen does loose some of it's pop but now I don't have to deal with fingerprints. If you prefer a matte laptop screen instead of a glossy one, then you will like this product. If you like glossy, then this isn't for you

tljedi11
May 8, 2010, 04:58 PM
I just received mine and love it. The screen does loose some of it's pop but now I don't have to deal with fingerprints. If you prefer a matte laptop screen instead of a glossy one, then you will like this product. If you like glossy, then this isn't for you

So would the PS crystal film be a better choice for the non-matte look? I am not certain on the difference between the anti-glare and crystal (besides the name)...

steffi
May 8, 2010, 05:01 PM
I have this on my iPad also but the best advise I can give is to use a ruler to press it down and slide the ruler as you're laying down on the iPad. This will give you a perfect install because the weight and thickness of the plastic is just right for it to go on smoothly.

I purchased and installed this screen protector as I have used them on my iPhone, iPhone 3g, and iPhone 3GS. I thought I was about to go crazy until I got this thing in the mail. I do not like using the bare screen. My fingers catch too much on the oleophobic coating and with the protector they slide easily across the surface. In addition, I don't have to wipe it down all the time and the glare of surrounding objects is softened to the point of being trivial.

The device is a dream after installing this product. I couldn't believe how much better it felt and reacted. Now when I'm out in public I don't have to be embarrassed about my dirty oily screen that I have to rub on my shirt (belly) every 10 minutes. It's also much easier to draw on now, which is something I use it for a lot to do mockup drafts of assignments in class.

These is a slight fuzz to things when you look up close, but I find myself holding the iPad much further away from my face than an iPhone, and also find the benefits to outweigh this small shortcoming. I highly recommend this product, though its biggest downside is that it only comes with one! For $25 you'd think they could include two flimsy pieces of plastic. Also, at least for me, it was pretty trick to install. Make sure you turn off the A/C and let the air settle for awhile before applying. I wiped the screen clean several times using professional lens cleaner and microfiber cloth and there were still tiny pieces. Work quickly! And use scotch tape to grab the pieces trapped underneath. Use the scotch tape to pull the protector back up also. If you use your fingernails on the edges, it can bend it and it might not go back down flush. I learned this tip from a "genius" at the Apple Store. I can tell you from experience that this is true using iPhone versions.

Attached is an photo I snapped using my 3GS:

Indydenny
May 8, 2010, 06:41 PM
I agree with the reviews: less glare, better feel, a little less sharp. These have been my favorite for the iPhone and now for the iPad.

One downside that I don't think has been mentioned. The use of a stylus is diminished a bit-- just doesn't work as easily or have the same sensitivity.

Application was a breeze!

ngenerator
May 10, 2010, 01:53 PM
For those who have installed the PS Anti-Glare or Crystal set: Does it work well with the Apple iPad Case? I guess I'm just asking because I frequently remove it and replace it in the case, and don't want to mess up the screen protector. Some days I like the feel of the naked iPad, some days I prefer the case on it. I'm hoping the case isn't too tight and effs up the screen protector (See: iPhone 3G/S+Incase Slider+screen protecor)

I just want to check if anyone's had any troubles with the two :)

MigsVuitton
May 10, 2010, 04:17 PM
Just came in and couldn't wait to install.

It was a little easier than I thought it would be from reading everyone's comments. The hard part was actually getting the balls to start. I probably wiped my iPad clean several times before I began.

First time I installed, it was slightly off so by the time it reached the top right corner, it was misaligned slightly causing the screen protector to not stick all the way essentially creating a large "bubble" line. I could not live with that despite having ZERO dust particles trapped.

So I took scotch tape and peeled the corner off and started over. As I took it off, I saw dust land on the screen so I used tape to pick it up.

So anyway, I try it again and now it's aligned perfectly, however not as perfect as try #1 regarding dust particles.

I gotta say though, that you'd have to inspect the screen when it's off to actually see any dust. It's much worse seeing finger smudges from a mile away then it is to have to inspect to see the dust.

So dust in screen... not a huge issue. From reading here, I imagined pebble like sand caught between lol.

Now for the actual screen. Smudges are gone. FANTASTIC. Reading in the car, a joy. Clarity?! Well, at first it was a real disappointment.

Being a photographer and graphic designer, I was a little scared using this product considering it's my digital portfolio and I want the best clarity. I also understood the compromises and was willing to take a chance because I've used this same protector on the iPhone however have decided against after a few months because it wasn't as clear.

But the difference is, the iPhone takes a swipe to clean. The iPad? I'm scrubbing away because I cannot stand smudges.

Anyway, my disappointment went away after I realized I was at about 60% brightness. I cranked it up to 100% and am very happy.

I'm not longer a nazi about cleaning the screen. It's gorgeous on and off.

Skystar
May 10, 2010, 04:26 PM
Mine is waiting in the mailbox at home. Loved it for the iPhone, I'm sure the iPad version is no different.

3goldens
May 10, 2010, 04:53 PM
very happy with mine installed with no problems!

RaceTripper
May 10, 2010, 05:29 PM
I already have a scratch on mine, so better that than on the screen itself. It did the job.

dacreativeguy
May 10, 2010, 05:39 PM

+1. I'll take my chances with no cover than to pay so much for a piece of plastic. I don't blame PowerSupport specifically, since many ipod/pad/phone accessory makers have been gouging customers for years.

FlyingScot
May 10, 2010, 08:56 PM
Wow...looks great, crystal clear, and reduction in fingerprints! Worth it for me - my phone has one long scratch that has irritated me for year. Did not want that on iPad...

Hammie
May 10, 2010, 09:09 PM
I got my two today. First one went on without a hitch. The second one, however, had a crease dead center of the screen. This causes a buble about the size of a corn kernel that WILL NOT go away.

I have sent PS an e-mail explaining the situation. Hopefully, all goes well, especially since it happens to be on my wife's iPad. Mine looks perfect, her's not so much. :(

Anyone have experience with their customer care services?

GoCubsGo
May 10, 2010, 09:22 PM
I was on the fence about this anti-glare screen until I took a day flight and figured out no one should see me from that angle and I grow tired of looking of myself while watching a movie. :) I figure it can't hurt to try. I was looking at the speck branded ones because you get two but seems the popular vote is for PowerSupport.

xraydoc
May 10, 2010, 09:48 PM
I just installed the antiglare on mine. It does add some grain, but fingerprints and glare are completely gone. No more wiping.

I've had one on my iPhone for some time now and I've been very pleased with it, so I knew what I was getting.

djinn
May 10, 2010, 10:52 PM
I agree there is some grain but the worries of scratches, finger prints! And glare are gone.

I installed the anti glare cover on both my wifes and my iPad.

jlyanks85
May 10, 2010, 10:59 PM
Can you buy these powersupport protectors in any store or do you have to buy it online?

djinn
May 10, 2010, 11:18 PM
Can you buy these powersupport protectors in any store or do you have to buy it online?

I believe you will need to buy them off the net. Since the apple stores don't carry screen protectors anymore.

On a side note, i did try the Zagg and wow.... Not a pleasant experience trying to get that installed. I ended up with a big bubble in the middle. The installation with the power support was so much easier.

lumpen
May 11, 2010, 12:23 AM
Is Powersupport antiglare better than SGP? I have an SGP AF but can't stand the blur from it...

steffi
May 11, 2010, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty fussy about blur myself but the tradeoff to me is worth it.

Is Powersupport antiglare better than SGP? I have an SGP AF but can't stand the blur from it...

hh83917
May 11, 2010, 06:28 AM
I have the PowerSupport glossy protector on mine. I have it on all my previous iPhones and loved it. However, since the iPad have such a big screen, the glossy protector I had on will attract fingerprints (still better than having no protector), but most importantly, little speckle of dusts seem to like to stick to the glossy protector. It gets a bit irritating after 2 weeks. I mean I love the bright screen, but the dust kinda drives me nuts. I will have to have a microfiber cloth around all the time to wipe it off.

So, I'm thinking about switching to the PS anti-glare ones. Are the grain really visible? It's just a shame that I have to cover that sharp and bright screen. I juts figured that I can't just wipe the iPad on my clothes or pants like how I handle my iPhone because it's simply too big... :p

JayMysterio
May 11, 2010, 06:35 AM

This is a topic of much discussion. Seems it's all subjective whether one is better than the other. Also it's an expensive thing to find out, as my PS AG was like $20+, not eager to get a SGP also to find out which is better.

To me there's a fair bit of grain added, but I really love the matte appearance, and the lack of fingerprints on my screen.

Beau10
May 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
This is a topic of much discussion. Seems it's all subjective whether one is better than the other. Also it's an expensive thing to find out, as my PS AG was like $20+, not eager to get a SGP also to find out which is better.

To me there's a fair bit of grain added, but I really love the matte appearance, and the lack of fingerprints on my screen.

Has there been a genuine, bonafide back-to-back comparison?

I'd be hard pressed to believe they're not exactly the same material from the same suppliers in China. And no different from the 3 for $6 on eBay and the the like (probably at volume they're probably less than a buck each per lot of 1000). This is materials science. If anyone's screen protector is unique or better than their competitors, then it stands to reason they hold IP relating to its 'formula', and that they have materials engineers on staff. Which is incredibly hard to believe.

alau0115
May 12, 2010, 04:49 PM
Has there been a genuine, bonafide back-to-back comparison?

I'd be hard pressed to believe they're not exactly the same material from the same suppliers in China. And no different from the 3 for $6 on eBay and the the like (probably at volume they're probably less than a buck each per lot of 1000). This is materials science. If anyone's screen protector is unique or better than their competitors, then it stands to reason they hold IP relating to its 'formula', and that they have materials engineers on staff. Which is incredibly hard to believe.

Actually the Power Support one is not made in China. Ditto for the SGP one. The SGP one is made in Korea.

Regardless of the supplier, from my past experience with different films (Power Support, SGP, and some no-name cheap stuff) on iPhone 3GS, the difference in the quality of different company is very evident.

The worse one, you can actually see rainbow across the entire screen under certain lighting which is very distracting. Also how the film covers the home buttom and the edge of the device varies with different companies.

The strength of the adhesive is different,too. From past experience, the silicone mild adhesive on the SGP crystal clear for the iPhone 3G/3GS is not strong enough to stick perfectly around the home buttom, whereas the Power Support clear version is okay. However, the SGP anti-glare one for the iPhone 3G/3GS does not have the same adhesive problem around the home button though.

jerkstore99
May 12, 2010, 06:33 PM
I put my PowerSupport Anti-Glare protector on today. It is obviously not as clear, but the glare is almost completely gone. I still feel it was incredibly over priced and even after a few hours of use I am regretting spending the money on it. If you are on the fence about getting one, I would recommend waiting.

Chip NoVaMac
May 12, 2010, 10:25 PM
In general, I've always found accessories for the iPhone (and now iPad) to be over-priced but if this lasts me the entire life of the iPad, which my iPhone screen protector has, then I'll be happy.

I also love the fact that it eliminates glare AND smudges. Smudges being the one thing I hate about touch devices.

Add to that App's costs. :(

Have to see if any iPad users I come across are using it before I buy it at that cost.

ScubaCinci
May 12, 2010, 10:49 PM
I have the PowerSupport glossy protector on mine. I have it on all my previous iPhones and loved it. However, since the iPad have such a big screen, the glossy protector I had on will attract fingerprints (still better than having no protector), but most importantly, little speckle of dusts seem to like to stick to the glossy protector. It gets a bit irritating after 2 weeks. I mean I love the bright screen, but the dust kinda drives me nuts. I will have to have a microfiber cloth around all the time to wipe it off.

So, I'm thinking about switching to the PS anti-glare ones. Are the grain really visible? It's just a shame that I have to cover that sharp and bright screen. I juts figured that I can't just wipe the iPad on my clothes or pants like how I handle my iPhone because it's simply too big... :p

Try some Rain-X on it. Works great.

LordEntropy
May 12, 2010, 11:52 PM
Try some Rain-X on it. Works great.

So to be clear Rain -x helps prevent fingerprints, don't suppose it helps with the glare though? :)

ScubaCinci
May 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
don't suppose it helps with the glare though? :)

True dat.

ngenerator
May 14, 2010, 11:32 PM
Well, I just pulled the trigger on my order from Power Support. I ordered an anti glare iPad screen protector and also one for my 3GS (the current protector on the phone just got messed up yesterday, but that's a whole different story :()

I just wanted to check with anyone who has both a protector and the Apple iPad case on their 'Pad; are there any issues with frequently removing/inserting your iPad into the case? In other words, the case isn't too tight that it unpeels the protector when sliding in, does it?

Also, is it best or easiest to apply it from the bottom (button side) going up?

xraytech
May 15, 2010, 01:42 AM
Well, I just pulled the trigger on my order from Power Support. I ordered an anti glare iPad screen protector and also one for my 3GS (the current protector on the phone just got messed up yesterday, but that's a whole different story :()

I just wanted to check with anyone who has both a protector and the Apple iPad case on their 'Pad; are there any issues with frequently removing/inserting your iPad into the case? In other words, the case isn't too tight that it unpeels the protector when sliding in, does it?

Also, is it best or easiest to apply it from the bottom (button side) going up?

No issues with any case on the market.

As for applying from the button side. Does not matter which side for me because I use the wet method.

Smacky
May 15, 2010, 04:09 AM
I wonder how this compares to the Switcheasy antiglare product now that its out

ngenerator
May 15, 2010, 09:23 AM
No issues with any case on the market.

As for applying from the button side. Does not matter which side for me because I use the wet method.

Thanks! :)

kallyq
May 15, 2010, 10:53 AM
I have the Powersupport anti glare protector on mine with the apple case. I do not remove the apple case much but I did once with the screen protector on and there was no problem.

In terms of the screen protector, at first I did not like it. It made things a little darker and a little blurrier. But it has totally grown on me. I think the best description is that it is like having a matte screen instead of a glossy screen. I love that I no longer have to see myself. I also love that I can work on my desk with a light right above it and can still see my screen. It works better outside too.

At first I was sad to give up the cool smooth screen, but the protector is smooth in a different way and I don't have to worry about scratches all the time (those posts about scratches worry me). I am very happy with my screen protector now and will be keeping it on there.

I recommend if you get one and feel you don't like it to give it a couple days. It only took me a few hours to really like it.

I think there is less dust on my screen too!

dstar
May 15, 2010, 11:45 AM
I bought a couple a screen protectors from a seller on Amazon for a couple of bucks. If you don't mind crystal clear they are terrific for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FPB1I2/ref=oss_product

ngenerator
May 15, 2010, 01:51 PM

Actually, I have one more quick question. What is the "wet method" for installing it? Im not seeing any info on how to install the PS screen protector wet-style. I've googled, etc and still can't find the best way (and i don't have access to the youtubes at work :()

jazz1
May 16, 2010, 11:23 AM
I have the Powersupport anti glare protector on mine with the apple case. I do not remove the apple case much but I did once with the screen protector on and there was no problem.

In terms of the screen protector, at first I did not like it. It made things a little darker and a little blurrier. But it has totally grown on me. I think the best description is that it is like having a matte screen instead of a glossy screen. I love that I no longer have to see myself. I also love that I can work on my desk with a light right above it and can still see my screen. It works better outside too.

At first I was sad to give up the cool smooth screen, but the protector is smooth in a different way and I don't have to worry about scratches all the time (those posts about scratches worry me). I am very happy with my screen protector now and will be keeping it on there.

I recommend if you get one and feel you don't like it to give it a couple days. It only took me a few hours to really like it.

I think there is less dust on my screen too!

Well I've been enjoying my "naked" screen since the 30th, but was constantly having to clean the screen with ShaggyMac's Optimist. The fingerprints and glare of the screen were issues I didn't want to constantly address.

I just installed the PS anti-glare and found the iPad way more usable. I am going to have to get used to a less visually stunning screen though. A quick check of my favorite photos with the PS anti-glare protector did take away a little of their visual impact. This is to be expected and the anti-glare and screen protection from scratches is well worth using the PS screen protector. As posted above I will have to get used to it.

macpluslaptop
May 16, 2010, 01:48 PM
I've had the antiglare on my iphone since I got it, and I decided to take it off today because I'm upgrading in June. Admittedly, there is a huge difference in screen 'pop', and I probably won't cover my next phone. But for my iPad I got a PS antiglare sheet, and that won't ever come off. Because the mirror effect is just too disturbing on the bigger screen, and the reflections of glossy screens far outweigh the tradeoff in visual sharpness.

But I'm a matte person. My huge TV has a matte screen, and that was hard to find (Sony). I can't stand looking at everything else in the room whenever I look at a screen...:cool:

jtara
May 16, 2010, 03:04 PM
I have one more quick question. What is the "wet method" for installing it? Im not seeing any info on how to install the PS screen protector wet-style.

I'd assume it would involve a slightly-soapy solution and squeege, same as all the others. But I don't see any reason for doing it. This is a semi-rigid protector that you simply position and drop onto the iPad. It practically installs itself. Why would you complicate the installation?

I found a a great "semi-wet" method for installation, though!

Do it on your bathroom counter. Run the shower on hot first (with the bathroom fan OFF!) This will knock-down 99% of the dust in the air. I dampened a towel and placed the iPad on the dampened towel as well.

Think twice about eliminating any dust that does manage to get trapped. You'll probably get more dust underneath in the process of trying to eliminate it...

jtara
May 16, 2010, 03:30 PM
BTW, if you're on the fence on anti-glare vs. not, I can offer these observations:

- The "grain" is a lot less objectionable on the iPad than on the smaller iPhone screen

- It's still quite objectionable in strong light, particularly if it is over your shoulder

- It's absolutely the best in dim light. If you want to read in bed, the PowerSupport anti-glare is The Bomb.

- It is harder to get the fingerprints off (not really fingerprints, but smudges). You WILL need a liquid - it will not come off just with a cloth. But it takes at least a couple of use sessions for it to get at all objectionable, vs. 5 minutes or less with an unprotected screen.

- You will either love or hate the tactile sensation

If you use your iPad mostly in bright light, you might want to go with the crystal version. Otherwise, go with the non-glare. Seems counter-intuitive, but the non-glare really improves viewing in dim/no light.

mizvalorie
May 17, 2010, 09:20 AM
- It is harder to get the fingerprints off (not really fingerprints, but smudges). You WILL need a liquid - it will not come off just with a cloth.

Actually I have found a microfiber cloth works great. Havent had to use liquid once.

tmarks11
May 17, 2010, 09:29 AM
Last second dust or lint that falls on the glass before the screen protector is applied can be removed by peeling back the screen protector to the problem spot and using a rolled piece of transparent (Scotch) tape to remove the dust (just follow the instructions that come with the screen protector!).

I am very glad you posted that. When I installed my PS screen protector, I ended up having to remove 4-5 dust specs as I rolled it onto the screen. I remembered your post about scotch tape; worked like a charm.

I installed it dry. I worked slowly enough so that I could see dust specs trapping air immediately. Each time I saw a dust spec, I peeled up the last 1/2" of so, fished it off teh screen protector with scotch tape, and tehn laid it back down.

No bubbles, no dust specs. Took about 2 minutes, looks great. Helps with glare and fingerprints. I notice that I have to keep the backlight a little bit higher then before.

r6girl
May 17, 2010, 09:36 AM
I have one of these for my iPhone and it is fantastic. I want one for my iPad but $25 + shipping feels a bit like highway robbery since they probably cost about $.25 each to make. I may try a Brando one first since I've had great experiences with theirs as well and they're a wee bit more reasonable at $18 with $3 for shipping.

jazz1
May 17, 2010, 10:45 AM
Well I'm well into day two of the PS anti-glare. In bed and at the coffee shop viewing is much easier on the eyes. I don't have to angle the iPad to get glare moved away from what I'm viewing. Still it is a compromise as text and images have that slight fuzz to them. Cranking up the brightness helps a little.

I've had this kind if screen protector on my iPhones and they are very durable. Much better than the freebies that come with cases.

ngenerator
May 17, 2010, 10:49 AM
I found a a great "semi-wet" method for installation, though!

Yup, that's the exact method I used to put a new antiglare on my 3GS this weekend. Very cool, and I'm happy I know now :)

Looking forward to doing it again when I get my iPad's antiglare in the mail, hopefully early this week

w4rmk
May 17, 2010, 01:29 PM
I started out with a skin (bestskinsever) on my iPad when I first got it and after a few weeks got tired of the reflections and fingerprints. Last week I installed the PS anti-glare shield and couldn't be happier. The glare is reduced significantly and it does a good job of combating fingerprints. Installation was tricky, it has to be lined up perfectly and I had to use scotch tape to remove several bits of dust that got trapped underneath but when all the work was done my install came out near perfect.

Lancer786
May 18, 2010, 03:17 PM
Iíve used a few of Power Supportís iPhone cases that include film screen protectors, and they generally work quite well: They're easy to apply, and I generally end up without obnoxious air bubbles. However, applying such a film to a 3.5-inch screen is a much simpler process than putting one on a 15-inch screen, so I was anxious to see how well the Power Support film worked on the MacBook Pro. If youíve ever applied a screen film to an iPhone or iPod, the Power Support film for the MacBook Pro looks like a supersized version. The film itself comes adhered to a protective sheet of plastic, attached by the same static-cling force that will eventually hold it to the MacBook Proís screen.

ics55
May 18, 2010, 05:06 PM
I did a poor job installing, and got lint on the sticky side. As a result, I now get tons of bubbles when I reinstall. Any ideas on how to get rid of the bubbles and the lint??

Thanks

Ira

RaceTripper
May 18, 2010, 05:08 PM
I did a poor job installing, and got lint on the sticky side. As a result, I now get tons of bubbles when I reinstall. Any ideas on how to get rid of the bubbles and the lint??

Thanks

IraWash it with hand soap and water.

Smacky
May 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
Use stickytape to remove dust and lint

macpluslaptop
May 18, 2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks

Ira

Air bubbles will usually disappear on their own in 24 hours. Those that are left can be gently rubbed away (use a soft lint free cloth). It's just air trapped under the protector. As others have said, dust needs to be lifted with tape.