PDA

View Full Version : I apologize Apple iPad Case.

Zepaw
May 3, 2010, 05:47 PM
I let myself get really biased against the Apple case just from some negative talk on this forum. While in the Apple store today I got a chance to try on hands on and I am sold. Now if only they were not sold out.

ngenerator
May 3, 2010, 05:48 PM
Couldn't post this on Twitter bc it's more than 140 characters?

quantum003
May 3, 2010, 05:49 PM
I let myself get really biased against the Apple case just from some negative talk on this forum. While in the Apple store today I got a chance to try on hands on and I am sold. Now if only they were not sold out.

Um, so now do you and the Apple iPad case get to enjoy make-up sex?

Zepaw
May 3, 2010, 05:50 PM
**** this forum, everyone has to be so sarcastic about everything. If you don't think my post is worthwhile why are you adding more unproductive posts?

ngenerator
May 3, 2010, 05:53 PM
Seriously, how does the original post help anyone but yourself? Most people wouldn't have jumped to conclusions based on anti-Apple case posts before, they would have just tried it out for themselves. That's what a return period is for.

Are you trying to justify going with the crowd and then changing your mind? If so, congrats.

Everyone should line up and cheer for you as though you were the first in line to buy an iPad on launch day, Whoo HOoooo!

SchneiderMan
May 3, 2010, 05:56 PM
Everyone has their own opinions, i myself would prefer a non folio style case for my iPad. I don't like the design of the Apple case.

antmo
May 3, 2010, 05:56 PM
i share your sentiment... i tried four other mainstream cases, cost was not a factor. i kept avoiding apple's case due to listening to others' opinions, never having seen one in-person.

i've been using my ipad w/out a case for three days and happened to get lucky as an apple store had some in stock today. i picked one up and it is fantastic, that's all i can say.

mlomeli
May 3, 2010, 05:57 PM
I have and like the apple case. However, that switch easy nude may replace it very shortly.

Advil
May 3, 2010, 05:57 PM
I picked one up yesterday out of desperation for some kind of protection and a more comfortable browsing/typing experience. The Fort Worth apple store was well stocked, the shelf was full, it literally looked like nobody had picked one up.

It's a decent case, but NOT worth 40 bucks. I hate the seams, the make the buttons more difficult to press and it feels weird in hand, the simple solution to the latter is just to hold it the other way.

I hate how dirty it gets and how it doesn't stay shut all the way. I wish it had a band to wrap around to keep it shut.

One thing I like is that under the flap, I had just enough room for a small microfiber cloth.

antmo
May 3, 2010, 06:05 PM
on a side note... lot's of people seem to think a forum like this is simply a way to collected useful/helpful data for searching and archiving. i tend to view discussion forums (like this one and most others) as a social community interacting about a general topic (like apple or ipads or whatever).

not everyone's post needs to be helpful and unique. not every post or thread needs to serve some sort of utilitarian purpose. this isn't wikipedia, it's a discussion forum.

i enjoy reading posts for more than just getting info that will help me somehow.

Daremo
May 3, 2010, 06:10 PM
Seriously, how does the original post help anyone but yourself?

I never realized these were HELP forums. I always thought they were for general conversations on specifics, and in this case iPad accessories.

Seems to me he's following the forum rules, and doesn't deserve sarcastic remarks from people with nothing better to add to the conversation.

That's just me though...

GoCubsGo
May 3, 2010, 06:11 PM
Dear Zepaw,
Don't make that ****ing mistake again. I rule.

Love,
Apple iPad Case

Mezzo43
May 3, 2010, 06:20 PM
I was reading all of the positive and negative reviews on the Apple iPad case. I finally gave in and bought the Apple case because I was tired of waiting for a case from iSkin to be released.

I like the Apple iPad case and am happy with it. I actually thought something was wrong with my Apple case because my iPad slid so easily into the case when all of the other reviewers mentioned how hard it was to get their iPad into the Apple case. I also try to keep my hands clean before picking up the Apple case - especially after I've been eating food. I am over protective..... I've also been sliding the Apple case into a InCase netbook sleeve and I have a Timbuk2 Quickie XS sleeve that just arrived today for me to see if I like this option instead of the InCase sleeve.

(I've been obsessing over cases!!!) :)

ARH1956
May 3, 2010, 06:23 PM
I picked one up yesterday out of desperation for some kind of protection and a more comfortable browsing/typing experience. The Fort Worth apple store was well stocked, the shelf was full, it literally looked like nobody had picked one up.

It's a decent case, but NOT worth 40 bucks. I hate the seams, the make the buttons more difficult to press and it feels weird in hand, the simple solution to the latter is just to hold it the other way.

I hate how dirty it gets and how it doesn't stay shut all the way. I wish it had a band to wrap around to keep it shut.

One thing I like is that under the flap, I had just enough room for a small microfiber cloth.Yours doesn't stay shut all the way? I'm not following you.

GoCubsGo
May 3, 2010, 06:26 PM
My Apple case stays shut, meaning the top cover is not lifted or bent in any way. I don't exactly baby it either.

Perhaps this isn't the most ideal case but it's the best folio available right now.

mac jones
May 3, 2010, 06:26 PM
My take is that it's sort of slimy.

But Hey! if slime is your thing.....:D

ScubaCinci
May 3, 2010, 06:35 PM
Dear Zepaw,
Don't make that ****ing mistake again. I rule.

Love,
Apple iPad Case

LOL, you come up with some good ones Jess

Dammit Cubs
May 3, 2010, 06:43 PM
I returned my belkin sleeve case for the apple iPad case and i'm completely sold. Having it propped up is so helpful. I even leave it next to my bed and watch some late night movies with it. Its really awesome. The rubber feel is also great and I like the overall look of the device with it.

antiprotest
May 3, 2010, 08:28 PM
Right, it is not that bad.

mark34
May 3, 2010, 08:56 PM
I am in same boat.... it is much better than I expected and functionally very helpful.

harry*333
May 3, 2010, 09:09 PM
personally I don't like the folio case design, it leaves this flap just hanging there when you use it
however I love the built in stand, which will be great for typing on a desk
still not sure what I'm going to do, I might just force myself to at least try the apple case once I can get one

Chip NoVaMac
May 3, 2010, 09:47 PM

I hear you loud and clear. I too was against the Apple iPad case till I played with the concierge's iPad with that case. Yes with heavy use it will show wear, but seems to hold up well for the rest of us.

Now I can't wait to get my hands on one :)

richpjr
May 3, 2010, 09:52 PM
Seriously, how does the original post help anyone but yourself? Most people wouldn't have jumped to conclusions based on anti-Apple case posts before, they would have just tried it out for themselves. That's what a return period is for.

Are you trying to justify going with the crowd and then changing your mind? If so, congrats.

Everyone should line up and cheer for you as though you were the first in line to buy an iPad on launch day, Whoo HOoooo!

I, like a lot of people (such as the OP), am very interested in hearing other people's opinions about things whether they like them or hate them. It's up to me to ultimately decide whether I agree or not, but it certainly gives me things to look for and consider that I might not have. In this case, I also had a very negative bias against the case going into the Apple store based on what I had read in several forums. I was thinking of picking one up for some protection until whatever "final" solution for protection I decided on. After playing with the case for 5 minutes, I am happy with it and am not looking at anything else.

Why that would bug you enough to clog the forum with a reply like that is beyond me. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

advan031
May 3, 2010, 10:48 PM
I am getting rather annoyed that I cannot find this damn thing in stock anywhere:mad: around my area.

sdsvtdriver
May 4, 2010, 02:46 AM
i love lamp

dmk005
May 4, 2010, 07:38 AM
I think the posts which slammed the OP were much more annoying than the OP.

I consider the Apple case to be utilitarian and ugly. It works better than other cases I have tried/purchased but it is rather unsightly after several weeks of use, including a cross-country trip. The sharp edges are annoying to touch but useful when propping the iPad up on my legs to type (as I am right now). I look forward to cases developed after lessons from this case have been learned.

ngenerator
May 4, 2010, 10:06 AM
I apologize for the initial slammings OP. I agree that the case did receive some bad reviews at first, it's just too bad that people didn't try it out for themselves before jumping to conclusions.

One little fact I've been surprised about is the little part of the flap that folds over to make an angle to type on. It's a pleasant surprise that after being in the "easel" form that after a bit it goes back to normal and flat. I would have thought that it would have been bent (with the flap staying open) for a lot longer than it was. :)

Zepaw
May 4, 2010, 10:53 AM
I consider the Apple case to be utilitarian and ugly. It works better than other cases I have tried/purchased but it is rather unsightly after several weeks of use, including a cross-country trip. The sharp edges are annoying to touch but useful when propping the iPad up on my legs to type (as I am right now). I look forward to cases developed after lessons from this case have been learned.

True. I do wonder how long this will take. The wonder-cases like Quirky Cloak that are not out yet may be out after the iPad but they were still largely developed before the iPad was released so I expect they will be lacking as well. At least it is safe to assume we will have a pretty great array of styles by the time the next iPad comes around.

Galley
May 4, 2010, 05:35 PM
Same here. I used one for the first time today, and was impressed. I wish I had gone that route, rather than a sleeve.

advan031
May 4, 2010, 05:46 PM
I finally got one at Apple in Pasadena:D

MrCheeto
May 4, 2010, 06:33 PM
**** this forum, everyone has to be so sarcastic about everything. If you don't think my post is worthwhile why are you adding more unproductive posts?

Look at the number of posts it generated.

That IS productivity :D

Zepaw
May 4, 2010, 06:43 PM

I'm feeling pretty good about the discussion it led to. :)

boltjames
May 4, 2010, 06:50 PM

http://www.shoppingblog.com/pics/ipad_case_original.jpg

I am incredibly wealthy, so if it makes you feel better I'll buy you an Apple case and her twin sister so you can really have a great time. You can do one of them standing up and one of them laying down (see photo).

BJ

quantum003
May 4, 2010, 06:52 PM

Hey now... my jest was intended to be light-hearted, don't take it so personally. It struck me as funny that you would use this forum to issue a public apology to a product that most likely didn't take offense or even notice your negative initial reaction in the first place. The fact that my joke was 10 miles from anything even remotely near funny is totally beside the point. :D

Chip NoVaMac
May 4, 2010, 07:32 PM

One thing I like is that under the flap, I had just enough room for a small microfiber cloth.

I do want a case here badly. Hate my iPad being naked here.

Almost any case out there does not seem to be worth the price that is being asked. :mad: That iPad compatible logo must cost dearly in $ for the manufacturers.

So far I have only seen two of the cases in the "wild" (meaning folks that came in to my shop having them) , and they looked pretty clean. The one at the Apple Store Reston showed some of the dirt and wear - but that may be a worst case situation. What i liked about looking at the Apple Reston's case was how rock solid it was in the various orientations.

Sorry I passed by your post yesterday, but a valid point. The OP and I both had dismissed the Apple iPad case based on so many negative comments about it. Seems that the OP and I also have a sense of humor (sort of along the lines of my expensive lunch thread on April 29th when I picked up a iPad 64GB wifi model - there I was blasted for using LOL too much as I decided to open it or not and wait for the 3G model.)

Heck I am willing to give the Apple case a try....

True. I do wonder how long this will take. The wonder-cases like Quirky Cloak that are not out yet may be out after the iPad but they were still largely developed before the iPad was released so I expect they will be lacking as well. At least it is safe to assume we will have a pretty great array of styles by the time the next iPad comes around.

The Quirky Cloak does look interesting; but with that one I would want to see how it holds up over 6 to 12 months of use. If built well, then it would be the wonder case for the iPad. But the prototype video leaves me wondering how well it will hold up.

See what can happen when we all can get along :D

Hey now... my jest was intended to be light-hearted, don't take it so personally. It struck me as funny that you would use this forum to issue a public apology to a product that most likely didn't take offense or even notice your negative initial reaction in the first place. The fact that my joke was 10 miles from anything even remotely near funny is totally beside the point. :D

Not trying to speak for the OP; but your post was very much in line with what I thought their intent was - to have some fun in saying that the Apple iPad case was not all that bad despite other reviews.

I also gave up on the Apple case because of the reviews and the bad mouthing of it. Till I got see it as I said above in the "wild" and at the Apple Store Reston (in heavy use). Then I thought of the couple of iPhone cases I have gone through in the close to past 3 years. Can't wait to score the Apple case here - the sooner the better :)

Zepaw
May 4, 2010, 08:03 PM
Speak for me anytime Chip, you are doing fine. :p

Quantum it wasn't really directed at you. It was a bit of you and ngenerator, but I was mostly me finally getting fed up at the overall snideness I had been seeing all day on MR.

boltjames
May 4, 2010, 08:45 PM

Quantum it wasn't really directed at you. It was a bit of you and ngenerator, but I was mostly me finally getting fed up at the overall snideness I had been seeing all day on MR.

Here's something that'll cheer you up: Brett Favre

BJ

Chip NoVaMac
May 4, 2010, 10:39 PM

Did love your post :)

Felt much the same way :)

You have to see my thread on the "expensive lunch" in order to get in sight on online "behavior" - was trying to have fun at my expense at the choice of the wifi vs 3G iPad... :)

clayj
May 4, 2010, 11:19 PM
I concur with a couple of points -- the black material seemingly gets dirty just sitting out in the air and is impossible to keep clean, and the front flap doesn't extend far enough to the right (past the iPad) when it's closed.

I'm just waiting now to see what iSkin comes up with. The other alternatives I've checked out either have problems with accessories (Belkin Grip Vue doesn't play nice with the Camera Connection Kit, for example) or are just plain inferior.

motox25
May 4, 2010, 11:23 PM
The case is pretty for sure but I'm not so sure i'd like having to take it off everytime I want to dock it. Plus the iPad feels so good in my hands naked :p

lionheartednyhc
May 4, 2010, 11:25 PM

I appreciate your worthwhile contribution to this forum. Your post gave me a better understanding of your dynamic relationship with the ipad case. I also have a better understanding of how peer reviews effect the way you view consumer products. Due to this, it has given me a better understanding of human nature and therefore has allowed me greater introspection into myself which will henceforth allow me to prevent myself from experiencing a similar situation as yourself. I greatly appreciate your presence on this forum due to this.

I also relate to your frustration in regards to the current stock levels of the ipad at Apple Retail stores. Since we are kinsfolk in this cause of ours, I believe we should align forces and initiate a letter writing campaign in the hopes spurring the corporate behemoth to increase production capacity for their product line in order to allow us to enjoy the ipad more quickly.

Thank you sir.

mac jones
May 4, 2010, 11:33 PM
This is a strange thread :D

eTip
May 5, 2010, 03:22 AM
This is a strange thread :D

I see. And how does that make you feel? You say that Thread is "strange", yet you clearly have been reading Thread - and now even interacting with Thread. What do you think that says about your relationship with Thread? How do you suppose that makes Thread feel?

johnnj
May 5, 2010, 08:17 AM
I bought two other non-apple cases at first and I thought each of them added unnecessary bulk and weight to the sexy slim iPad. I wanted to try the Apple case, but the local Apple embassy was out of them and the t-shirt dude said it'd be weeks before they got any.

I went to one of my local Best Buy stores for something else and they ended up having a stack of about a dozen of them sitting on unmarked shelf space.

I bought one and I'm very happy with it. I like that it protects the screen while it's in my bag and how the lid stand comes in handy while either typing on it or watching a video. It also keeps the unit itself feeling slim.

John

boltjames
May 5, 2010, 08:37 AM
This is a strange thread

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/images/2005-02-14/dsc04223.jpg

The last time I had sex with an Apple accessory was in 2005 with the iPod Shuffle Waterproof Lanyard.

BJ

quantum003
May 5, 2010, 10:20 AM
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/images/2005-02-14/dsc04223.jpg

The last time I had sex with an Apple accessory was in 2005 with the iPod Shuffle Waterproof Lanyard.

BJ

The Lanyard appears unsatisfied

boltjames
May 5, 2010, 11:09 AM

LOL. Fabulous.

BJ

dacreativeguy
May 5, 2010, 12:49 PM

It's all relative. $40 for a case doesn't seem so pad when companies are charging TWENTY FIVE FREAKING BUCKS for a thin sheet of plastic screen protector.

Uabcar
May 5, 2010, 09:33 PM
I see. And how does that make you feel? You say that Thread is "strange", yet you clearly have been reading Thread - and now even interacting with Thread. What do you think that says about your relationship with Thread? How do you suppose that makes Thread feel?

This...

and this....

...made me laugh.

OP: I have also found this thread 'helpful'. I've been on the fence re: the Apple case for some time. The fact that nobody near me has one on stock solves my problem for now.

Also, I agree with your earlier frustration - there does seem to be many $&%!'s on MR. I can never understand why sooo many people waste their own time bashing people for posts in which they apparently find no utility. I follow a few online forums and for whatever reason, MR is the worst when it come to tolerance (among my obviously relatively small sample)

That said, there sure is an awful lot of great information shared here - so I keep coming back. :D

Chip NoVaMac
May 5, 2010, 09:57 PM
Also, I agree with your earlier frustration - there does seem to be many $&%!'s on MR. I can never understand why sooo many people waste their own time bashing people for posts in which they apparently find no utility. I follow a few online forums and for whatever reason, MR is the worst when it come to tolerance (among my obviously relatively small sample)

That said, there sure is an awful lot of great information shared here - so I keep coming back. :D

Try DPReview sometime on photography subjects. :(

I was in Zepaw's camp on reading such negatives on the Apple Case as well... glad I took the time to look at it at the Apple Store Reston and a couple of folks that were lucky to score one... I am won over here :)

jtara
May 5, 2010, 10:10 PM
Now if only they were not sold out.

Buy mine and we'll both be happy. ;)

ClaireL
May 5, 2010, 10:57 PM
LOL, you come up with some good ones Jess

Not IMHO

itzcoolz
May 6, 2010, 02:25 AM
hi jtara, i saw that you also live in san diego, so i was wondering if you'd sell me your Apple case?

i'm pretty wary of it given many negative reviews, but if i can get it for a little cheaper used then i'd be more inclined to try it out. Would you be willing to sell it for 30 bucks?

Zepaw
May 6, 2010, 08:03 AM
Got one! I was returning a pogo stylus to the apple store and they had a few apple cases on the shelf. I will probably make a review thread later this week, would rather have some more use to see what issues might develop or not. I do already see why people complain it gets a bit dirty, but its not bad and easy to wipe clean. Worth trying if you get the chance. :)

timdafweak
May 6, 2010, 09:10 AM
Ugh, really ugh. Nearly two weeks in with the Apple Case, and I could not be more disgusted. This thing attracts dust and fingerprints like crazy. It gives the iPad an overall dingy look. I am back on my sturdy Belkin Grip Vue.

Cleaning this Apple case repeatedly gets old after a while.

boltjames
May 6, 2010, 09:19 AM
Ugh, really ugh. Nearly two weeks in with the Apple Case, and I could not be more disgusted. This thing attracts dust and fingerprints like crazy. It gives the iPad an overall dingy look. I am back on my sturdy Belkin Grip Vue.

Cleaning this Apple case repeatedly gets old after a while.

+0.5

I've got a co-worker who got his iPad wi-fi and the Apple case on Day 1, and now a month later he's embarrassed to be seen with it. He carries it around from meeting to meeting and his palm sweat is staining the spine. Being put in/out of a briefcase each night has made the ends start to curl up. The whole thing has particles of dust embedded in it.

All status that comes with owning an iPad, even the wi-fi version, goes out the window with the shoddy Apple case.

BJ

peterdevries
May 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
What puts me off the Apple case is that it's (again) black leather... Why do people still think that black leather is classy, business or whatever? Black leather is the cheapest and most ubiquitous type.

Maybe I'm too European and Italian fashion sense biased, but I take brown natural leather over black processed leather any day.

It might be a bit expensive but Vaja has some quite nice folio case types..

Chip NoVaMac
May 7, 2010, 04:48 PM
Let the love affair begin :D Was able to score the last Apple iPad Case just 30 minutes ago at the Apple Store Fair Oaks!!!! I promise to treat her well. :o

Now on the elusive Camera Connector Kit!!!!

Zepaw
May 7, 2010, 05:26 PM
Its only a few days old, but I am not having any iasues with it. I wiped it down with a damp cloth and it looks like new, literally.

Chip NoVaMac
May 7, 2010, 06:01 PM
Its only a few days old, but I am not having any iasues with it. I wiped it down with a damp cloth and it looks like new, literally.

Congrats! Missed that you were able to score one as well. :)

Since this case is for personal use; never understood those that want cases or bags that always look "new". As a photographer, it was always thought that a well worn bag or case was a sign of battles won.

As mentioned I got my first look at the Apple iPad Case at the Apple Store Reston up close and personal almost two weeks ago. Yeah, the seams here and there were coming apart. But then the "concierge" at the front door was carrying it day in and day out - he mentioned that it was in use from Day 1 when they got the their "concierge" iPad. So heavy use. Not the type of use I see for myself.

Do have my eye on a new "mistress" for down the road, the Quirky Cloak....

http://www.quirky.com/products/30-Cloak-iPad-Case

Yet as of right now it appears to be more vaporware from a design company with some nifty ideas - but no products that I would be interested in buying that are ready to ship right now. :(

Many of the items they have in the pipeline like the Cloak - all seem to available for pre-order only - some showing the units available for the first run of the product. So much for build and they will come approach maybe.

http://www.quirky.com/products/39-Cradle-iPad-Lap-Desk

http://www.quirky.com/products/37-Digits-Conductive-Glove-Pins

http://www.quirky.com/products/31-Wrapster-Headphone-Cord-Organizer

And even this :)

http://www.quirky.com/products/21-Cable-Caps

Zepaw
May 7, 2010, 06:07 PM
^ They have a fantastic looking iPod nano 5G stand. 6 months later it is barely half way to the amount of pre-orders needed for them to make it. I don't think the Cloak will be vaporware, they actually have a production schedule posted now.

Chip NoVaMac
May 7, 2010, 07:18 PM
^ They have a fantastic looking iPod nano 5G stand. 6 months later it is barely half way to the amount of pre-orders needed for them to make it. I don't think the Cloak will be vaporware, they actually have a production schedule posted now.

Saw that as well if I had an iPad Nano 5G.... shame they don't have the cap funds available it seems to build the stuff... not like we are trying to buy a Bently. Made to order... This stuff needs to be built and then sold - and let the market decide - given the low production numbers on some of the stuff, if we did not have to pre-order the stuff would sell IMO.

brewno
May 7, 2010, 07:26 PM
My friend's original case gets dirty all the time. He hates the material. I saw it, and since I saw it on my hands, I won't buy it... It's frustrating how it attracts dust & gets dirty fast.

LordOBoogie
May 7, 2010, 07:44 PM
What puts me off the Apple case is that it's (again) black leather... Why do people still think that black leather is classy, business or whatever? Black leather is the cheapest and most ubiquitous type.

It isn't leather.

Chip NoVaMac
May 7, 2010, 07:50 PM
It isn't leather.

Yet so far I like the case... easy to put the iPad in... a little harder to take out... not that I would do that often. The vertical and horizontal orientations are not rock solid - but very workable on a steady surface. Just wonder how that might play on an airplane or a train...

The "keyboard" horizontal mode though is rock solid IMO...

Just glad that my iPad is now protected. :D

Zepaw
May 7, 2010, 07:54 PM
Saw that as well if I had an iPad Nano 5G.... shame they don't have the cap funds available it seems to build the stuff... not like we are trying to buy a Bently. Made to order... This stuff needs to be built and then sold - and let the market decide - given the low production numbers on some of the stuff, if we did not have to pre-order the stuff would sell IMO.

Exactly! It is a confidence game. Not enough pre-order because they don't think it will get enough, so it never gets enough!

LordOBoogie
May 7, 2010, 08:10 PM
Yet so far I like the case... easy to put the iPad in... a little harder to take out... not that I would do that often. The vertical and horizontal orientations are not rock solid - but very workable on a steady surface. Just wonder how that might play on an airplane or a train...

The "keyboard" horizontal mode though is rock solid IMO...

Just glad that my iPad is now protected. :D

I have one, and I like it. I have an Eco-Case on the way, too.

Chip NoVaMac
May 7, 2010, 09:57 PM
Exactly! It is a confidence game. Not enough pre-order because they don't think it will get enough, so it never gets enough!

Amen there :)

I just don't want order a product that never ship :(

NateEssex
May 7, 2010, 10:48 PM

Yup & yup ;)