PDA

View Full Version : After using iPad do most use sleep or off completely

davidlw
May 3, 2010, 06:09 PM
After you use your iPad and will not be using it for a few hours do most of you put it to sleep or off completely?

r0k
May 3, 2010, 06:10 PM
After you use your iPad and will not be using it for a few hours do most of you put it to sleep or off completely?

Sleep. My iPad hasn't been off completely since April 3rd at 9:30am.

melman101
May 3, 2010, 06:12 PM
Sleep. The only time my iPad turns off is when I'm rebooting it for whatever reason.

mac jones

sleep.

just like the ipod or iphone

czachorski
Sleep. Never turn it off.

Mezzo43
I turn the iPad off if I'm not using it during the day.

pondie84
May 3, 2010, 06:13 PM
Wouldn't turning it off everytime you stop using it defeat one of its selling points?

GoCubsGo
May 3, 2010, 06:13 PM
I think most if not all will say sleep. I reboot every 1-2 weeks depending upon the amount of crap I've loaded and unloaded from it.

spinedoc77
May 3, 2010, 06:14 PM
That's the whole point of the ipad, you never turn it off. This is the reason I turned away from the HP slate, I don't think I could stand anything but instant on.

Capt T
May 3, 2010, 06:17 PM
Sleep. Like the instant on.

Lwyd
May 3, 2010, 06:17 PM
I only use sleep.

davidlw
May 3, 2010, 06:19 PM
I turn mine to sleep mode also just wanted to see if most everyone did too.
Thanks.

Mezzo43
May 3, 2010, 06:23 PM
Wouldn't turning it off everytime you stop using it defeat one of its selling points?

Sorry.... what selling point are you referring to?

themanfromvlad
May 3, 2010, 06:27 PM

The "Instant-On" selling point.

M87
May 3, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hasn't been off since I got it. My iPhone probably hasn't been off in months.

pondie84
May 3, 2010, 06:33 PM
This thread actually reminds me of my dad who, after all these years, still turns off his mobile phone every time he finishes making a call. The fact that then nobody can call him doesn't seem to sink in :)

Mezzo43
May 3, 2010, 06:46 PM
This thread actually reminds me of my dad who, after all these years, still turns off his mobile phone every time he finishes making a call. The fact that then nobody can call him doesn't seem to sink in :)

Maybe he doesn't want to be reached..... :)

laokai
May 3, 2010, 06:50 PM
Wait---seriously---there is a difference between sleep and off? I just hit the button on the top when I'm done. I guess this must be sleep...

Cinemagic
May 3, 2010, 06:52 PM
It's just like the iPhone. Hit the button at the top, Sleep. Hold the button at the top and then power off will turn it off.

I use Sleep. I love the instant on.

BWOracle
May 3, 2010, 07:53 PM
Sleep only.

Matthew9559
May 3, 2010, 07:58 PM

Dur. Can't be serious.

I usually leave my iPad asleep. Only turn it off if having an application error.

scottness
May 3, 2010, 08:01 PM
Sleep. Who turns theirs off for anything but rebooting?

Compile 'em all
May 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
Who the heck turns off an iPad? :confused:

I don't even turn off my macbook.

Are you a PC user by any chance? (serious question, no hate)

Clix Pix
May 3, 2010, 08:06 PM
I put my iPad to sleep when not using it and occasionally have done an actual reboot but it isn't necessary to shut the iPad totally off each time one isn't going to use it.

Thedeathbear
May 3, 2010, 08:10 PM
If I won't be using it for more than 24 hours, I'll turn it off.

pondie84
May 3, 2010, 08:13 PM
Sleep. Who turns theirs off for anything but rebooting?

Well you're meant to turn off electronic devices during take-off and landing on aeroplanes. That's when I imagine I would turn mine off.

Simgar988
May 3, 2010, 08:20 PM
Well you're meant to turn off electronic devices during take-off and landing on aeroplanes. That's when I imagine I would turn mine off.

I never turn off my devices. I just tell the flight attendant "baby your beautiful, I can't help that you turn on my iPhone every time you walk by."

She usually will blush, smile and/or chuckle, followed by a wink and an obvious glance at the lav. 5 minutes later, mmmmmmmmm:cool:

macfrik
May 3, 2010, 08:43 PM
Never even turn off my iPad iPhone iPod touch. Do they even need to be turned off? LOL

d.l.b.
May 3, 2010, 08:51 PM
If I won't be using it for more than 24 hours, I'll turn it off.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing it can last up to a month on standby mode...so, I don't think you need to worry about not using it for a day...:eek:

cirial
May 3, 2010, 09:01 PM
Sleep only

Mezzo43
May 3, 2010, 10:54 PM
Dur. Can't be serious.

I usually leave my iPad asleep. Only turn it off if having an application error.

Why can't I be serious? Selling point = instant-on.... where is that mentioned in the literature about the iPad? Why does it matter?

As far as turning the iPad off, the OP asked a question, and I answered it. I didn't realize that I would be graded for my answer. :p

GamecockMac
May 3, 2010, 11:15 PM
I never turn off my devices. I just tell the flight attendant "baby your beautiful, I can't help that you turn on my iPhone every time you walk by."

She usually will blush, smile and/or chuckle, followed by a wink and an obvious glance at the lav. 5 minutes later, mmmmmmmmm:cool:

And then you wake up from your dream. :rolleyes:

MikhailT
May 4, 2010, 12:40 AM
The batteries are intelligently managed by a controller to make sure the sleep/standby doesn't harm the battery, it'll taper off slowly and back on for you.

Apple do recommend that once a month, you let the battery go all the way down to discharge the battery fully.

Other than that, there's no point of turning off the iPad unless you know for sure that you're not going to use the iPad for more than a month since the battery can handle the standby mode for a month.

OGDaniel
May 4, 2010, 12:46 AM
One of the appeals is that you can easily pick it up and off you go to check email or surf the web or watch a video, so unless people didn't really get that I don't see why anyone would turn it off. I can hardly stand mine not being in my hands and in use, so I couldn't really imagine mine ending up going into sleep mode for a few minutes lol.

Soulcrux
May 4, 2010, 12:55 AM
Well, seeing as during the night, it acts as my nightstand clock/podcast player then no, I never turn it off.

I only turn it off to reboot for whatever reason (since the Jailbreaak I have to reboot alot to install some of the crap)

Soulcrux
May 4, 2010, 12:58 AM

The only reason they tell you this is because they don't want you to be distracted during a pivotal moment in which something bad could happen and you may have to exit the aircraft/don't want crap flying around KOing people in case of surprise re-landing.

I usually just make my stuff sleep (Turn off the screen on the Zune, close my DS, switch the sleep button on iPad) to keep them happy

Davidkoh
May 4, 2010, 01:08 AM
The only reason they tell you this is because they don't want you to be distracted during a pivotal moment in which something bad could happen and you may have to exit the aircraft/don't want crap flying around KOing people in case of surprise re-landing.

I usually just make my stuff sleep (Turn off the screen on the Zune, close my DS, switch the sleep button on iPad) to keep them happy

I usually turn the volume up on my iPhone so I won't have to hear the same crap for the millionth time.

ClaireL
May 4, 2010, 01:16 AM
Slumberland aka the land of Nod

richimages
May 5, 2010, 04:09 PM

Wouldn't turning it off at night increase the battery life time?

MikhailT
May 5, 2010, 04:13 PM
Wouldn't turning it off at night increase the battery life time?

Life time or life span?

No, you have the nearly same battery life time if you let it sleep. I had my ipad at 80% before going to sleep and woke up with the same 80%. It didn't reduce the battery life for me as it lasted all day for me. The iPad does not sip that much power when sleeping.

2Bad4U
May 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
Sleep only.

However I do reboot every 5 to 10 days to refress the OS...so far my iPad has been solid with no freezing. :D

vertigo235
May 5, 2010, 06:30 PM
Sleep only.

From A Buick 8
Dec 29, 2010, 10:53 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I did not want to start a new one. I searched some but could not find a direct answer. On my ipad if I just stop using it it will go to sleep, and then when I need it it will wake up with a single touch.

However when I use the power button to force sleep, sometimes when I go back to use it again it clearly not asleep and is starting up (I see the apple logo).

monaarts
Dec 29, 2010, 10:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I never turn my MacBook pro off so why would I ever turn my iPad off? Hahahahaha

-Joe

Amazing Iceman
Dec 29, 2010, 11:22 AM

Not even then. That's why "Airplane Mode" was created. Always put your device in "Airplane Mode" before the plane moves to the runway, so you can safely use it after takeoff.

I never turn OFF my iPad, unless it's just to clear the RAM and restart it immediately.

jdcell100
Dec 29, 2010, 11:41 AM
Never shut mine off always use sleep unless every once in awhile I reset it

Bevz
Dec 29, 2010, 12:07 PM

Lol. I know the feeling...

My step father wanted a netbook so I talked him into getting an iPad instead; he loves it. Everyones happy. But, he still insists on shutting it down after using it no matter how many times i tell him he doesn't have to... It's not even like he uses it just once a week... He uses it everyday! ;)

RichardMZhlubb
Dec 29, 2010, 12:26 PM
Not even then. That's why "Airplane Mode" was created. Always put your device in "Airplane Mode" before the plane moves to the runway, so you can safely use it after takeoff.

I never turn OFF my iPad, unless it's just to clear the RAM and restart it immediately.

No, that's not what Airplane Mode is for. Airplane Mode turns off all antennas (WiFi/3G), but it doesn't mean you can leave it on or turn it on before the flight attendants say it's OK to start using electronic equipment. You're supposed to turn your iPad/IPod/iPhone/etc. off completely before takeoff.

applefan022
Dec 29, 2010, 12:55 PM
Mine has only been to sleep.

From A Buick 8
Dec 29, 2010, 12:57 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I did not want to start a new one. I searched some but could not find a direct answer. On my ipad if I just stop using it it will go to sleep, and then when I need it it will wake up with a single touch.

However when I use the power button to force sleep, sometimes when I go back to use it again it clearly not asleep and is starting up (I see the apple logo).

So any thoughts on why the power button sometimes puts it too sleep and sometimes is seems to turn it off

Blakjack
Dec 29, 2010, 12:59 PM
Sleep

poloponies
Dec 29, 2010, 01:29 PM
No, that's not what Airplane Mode is for. Airplane Mode turns off all antennas (WiFi/3G), but it doesn't mean you can leave it on or turn it on before the flight attendants say it's OK to start using electronic equipment. You're supposed to turn your iPad/IPod/iPhone/etc. off completely before takeoff.

No, that's ridiculous. You just need to put it to sleep. There's no reason to shut it off on an airplane (same is true for phones and notebooks).

RichardMZhlubb
Dec 29, 2010, 01:37 PM
No, that's ridiculous. You just need to put it to sleep. There's no reason to shut it off on an airplane (same is true for phones and notebooks).

You may not like the rules and you may choose to ignore the rules, but the rules require that electronic devices be turned off, not just put into sleep mode.

poloponies
Dec 29, 2010, 02:00 PM
You may not like the rules and you may choose to ignore the rules, but the rules require that electronic devices be turned off, not just put into sleep mode.

Sleep & stowed is effectively off. I've flown many hundreds of flights over the years and I've never seen anyone completely power off a computer.