PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful women can be bad for your health, according to scientists

anjinha
May 3, 2010, 10:55 PM
:D

Just five minutes alone with an attractive female raise the levels of cortisol, the body's stress hormone, according to a study from the University of Valencia.
The effects are heightened in men who believe that the woman in question is "out of their league".
Cortisol is produced by the body under physical or psychological stress and has been linked to heart disease.
Researchers tested 84 male students by asking each one to sit in a room and solve a Sudoku puzzle. Two strangers, one male and one female, were also in the room.
When the female stranger left the room and the two men remained sitting together, the volunteer's stress levels did not rise. However, when the volunteer was left alone with the female stranger, his cortisol levels rose.
The researchers concluded: "In this study we considered that for most men the presence of an attractive woman may induce the perception that there is an opportunity for courtship.
"While some men might avoid attractive women since they think they are 'out of their league', the majority would respond with apprehension and a concurrent hormonal response.
"This study showed that male cortisol levels increased after exposure to a five-minute short social contact with a young, attractive woman."
Cortisol can have a positive effect in small doses, improving alertness and well-being. However, chronically elevated cortisol levels can worsen medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension and impotency.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7668344/Beautiful-women-can-be-bad-for-your-health-according-to-scientists.html

Heilage
May 4, 2010, 12:44 AM
This must be true. A customer at work was so hot that I completely forgot what I was supposed to fix and ran in circles for 30 seconds before I could remember.

scottness
May 4, 2010, 12:54 AM
I imagine the OP has quite a few unhealthy men around her. ;)

ObsidianIce
May 4, 2010, 01:30 AM
too true. We a all are, or know guys that lose their mind around a beautiful woman lol. Now we at least know why.

Abstract
May 4, 2010, 01:50 AM
I don't exhibit any changes when I see a beautiful woman, except perhaps this involuntary thrusting motion I do with my pelvis.

patrick0brien
May 4, 2010, 10:28 AM
That explains why men have more heart attacks! Beautiful Women cause them!

... too much of a stretch? Well I tried ;)

Disc Golfer
May 4, 2010, 10:48 AM
In addition to this I find myself more annoyed at people who are arrogant and self entitled. I don't find beautiful women who are humble stressful, but if they're hot and act like they know you know it there are few things less attractive. High maintenance is more stressful whether it's a computer or a woman or a boat or any damn other thing.

peetah
May 4, 2010, 12:01 PM
It just proves that Einstein theory is right!

"Place your hand on a hot stove and it will seem to last an hour. Sit next to a beautiful lady for an hour, and it will seem to last only a minute. That is relativity!"

Lord Blackadder
May 4, 2010, 12:02 PM
Maybe they were just stressed out with the Sudoku puzzle, and by the time the other male participant left they were getting upset every time....

Bonch
May 4, 2010, 12:08 PM
Maybe they smelled a sour poon. Think outside the box people.

yellow
May 4, 2010, 12:08 PM
Their theory is all wrong... their theory should be:

Hot Ladies > Sudoku

Maybe they smelled a sour poon. Think outside the box people.

I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means..

Lord Blackadder
May 4, 2010, 12:26 PM
Their theory is all wrong... their theory should be:

Hot Ladies > Sudoku

Indeed. They should have put something of equivalent importance in the (stereotypical) male mind in the room, such as a video game console, a bunch of cool tools and a car to work on, a huge television playing sports, or a large quantity of beer.

yellow
May 4, 2010, 12:37 PM
Indeed. They should have put something of equivalent importance in the (stereotypical) male mind in the room, such as a video game console, a bunch of cool tools and a car to work on, a huge television playing sports, or a large quantity of beer.

That sounds significantly more scientific to me!

Gregg2
May 4, 2010, 12:39 PM
I'm a dead man walking!

I'm also thrilled that I have a beautiful wife!!!

The sudoku challenge would not present a problem for me.
Heck, I have a difficult time solving the ones in the Sunday paper.
Hmmm. My wife is usually in the room.

redAPPLE
May 4, 2010, 02:08 PM
I'm a dead man walking!

without a picture, your post is hard to believe :D

velocityg4
May 4, 2010, 02:58 PM

You could add a tank and a stealth fighter and the guy's mind will still wander back to the beautiful girl (at least after the initial wow factor wears off).

scottness
May 4, 2010, 07:00 PM
I'm a dead man walking!

Newly wed?

JNB
May 4, 2010, 07:38 PM
Being comfortable with the fact that I am repellent to women—both "good-looking" and otherwise—I am preternaturally and eternally calm, and destined to live a stress-free life, at least on that front. :p

Gregg2
May 5, 2010, 08:57 AM
Newly wed?

Nope. 30 years in, and counting...

niuniu
May 5, 2010, 09:05 AM
The novelty of a good looking gf wears off pretty quickly. After a couple of months you've seen her without makeup, smelled her poop, seen her pick her nose, spit on you when laughing etc

And the cortisol levels drop back down again. I don't think there's any reason then to avoid beautiful women in long term relationships, like the study says, cortisol levels are good for you in short doses. It's conclusion is poor :confused:

quantum003
May 5, 2010, 01:18 PM
The novelty of a good looking gf wears off pretty quickly. After a couple of months you've seen her without makeup, smelled her poop, seen her pick her nose, spit on you when laughing etc

And the cortisol levels drop back down again. I don't think there's any reason then to avoid beautiful women in long term relationships, like the study says, cortisol levels are good for you in short doses. It's conclusion is poor :confused:

Ha! Beautiful women don't poop... silly. :p

rhett7660
May 5, 2010, 06:25 PM
Ha! Beautiful women don't poop... silly. :p

Blasphemy! They better not!!!

goatless
May 7, 2010, 03:02 PM
Ha. I've gotten more than a couple of LOLs out of this thread. :D

scottness
May 8, 2010, 01:19 AM
Nope. 30 years in, and counting...

Nice to hear this kinda thing from time to time. :)

Hugh910
May 8, 2010, 07:27 PM
I can read the headline now: Santa Clara County bans beautiful women.

They did it with happy meal toys since those are bad for you.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/05/california-radicals-target-happy-meals/

freebooter
May 11, 2010, 06:36 PM
I have noticed that it works the other way, too. That is, handsome men can raise the stress level of women. And, many women get down right murderous if the attention they have been conditioned to believe they deserve for simply existing is not forthcoming.

whooleytoo
May 12, 2010, 07:13 AM
Cortisol can have a positive effect in small doses, improving alertness and well-being. However, chronically elevated cortisol levels can worsen medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension and impotency.

So, prolonged exposure to a beautiful woman can lead to strife, an inability to handle sweetness, stress and no more sex?

Or, "marriage", in other words. :p

Kristenn
May 24, 2010, 06:45 AM
My mom says that's just men/boys getting a boner. All the blood leaves their head to... well... you know.

WHAT?! YOU THINK I'M TOO YOUNG TO KNOW?!

Jaro65
May 29, 2010, 10:54 PM

There's been nothing but silence. :cool:

sushi
May 29, 2010, 11:00 PM
I hate to see cute/beautiful women on the slopes.

When skiing or snowboarding, it can lead to severe crashes. :p :D

Peace
May 29, 2010, 11:06 PM
Beautiful women sure have been bad on my mental health. That I can confirm !
:eek:

carlgo
May 30, 2010, 10:03 AM
This test isn't scientific enough, needs more samples, send one my way and I'll participate in the survey for free.

UrbanerMezei
May 31, 2010, 08:55 AM
If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife. It's just my personal point of view, pick an ugly girl to marry you.

sushi
May 31, 2010, 10:08 AM
If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife. It's just my personal point of view, pick an ugly girl to marry you.
Reminds me of a song. :)

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty women your wife.
Go for my personal point of view,
Get an ugly girl to marry you.

If You Wanna be Happy by Jimmy Soul.

Gregg2
Jun 1, 2010, 08:54 AM
Nice to hear this kinda thing from time to time. :)

There's been nothing but silence.

Ok, ok... scottness gets it. I'm not posting a photo. I confess that I don't know how, nor am I interested in learning. I also don't know how people post screen shots, mark them up, etc. I know, I'm a modern computer illiterate, but a happy one!

sushi
Jun 3, 2010, 01:47 AM
This is a good example on why to avoid beautiful women. :p :D

Budweiser Street Luge Commercial. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3cXcM611f8)

renewed
Jun 3, 2010, 12:00 PM
Tell you what: Send all the beautiful women my way and I'll deal with them for you guys. I mean come on this is a community and one should help their fellow members, right? :D

sushi
Jun 3, 2010, 12:15 PM
Tell you what: Send all the beautiful women my way and I'll deal with them for you guys. I mean come on this is a community and one should help their fellow members, right? :D
Did you watch the Bud commercial above?

Beautiful women can be hazardous to your health. :D

renewed
Jun 3, 2010, 12:38 PM
Did you watch the Bud commercial above?

Beautiful women can be hazardous to your health. :D

Yup. I'll just avoid street luge boards and poles (well light poles at least ;)) and I should be good.

And if I happen to die, it'll be with a smile on my face and the satisfactory feeling that I helped macrumors.