PDA

View Full Version : very. very. disappointed.

zimv20
Sep 29, 2004, 02:59 PM
my 2.0 GHz dual g5, custom built from apple.com, finally arrived today. about 45 minutes ago.

i carefully unpackaged it, examining every included piece (i get to do this about once every 4-5 years, don'tcha know), and finally put the rather heavy computer on my table.

i was admiring everything about its loveliness, until...

...i got to the back. and discovered that both the airport and bluetooth antennas are bent away from the access holes. with some amount of effort, i got the BT antenna in, but the airport one is too far behind the back panel.

ugh.

i will be taking it to the apple store tomorrow.

very disappointed.

stealthy
Sep 29, 2004, 03:11 PM
...i got to the back. and discovered that both the airport and bluetooth antennas are bent away from the access holes. with some amount of effort, i got the BT antenna in, but the airport one is too far behind the back panel.

Oh that sucks :( sorry to hear that.

edesignuk
Sep 29, 2004, 03:14 PM
That really blows mate, sorry to hear that.

*sits in hope that imac works when it finally arrives, fingers crossed!!*

Hemingray
Sep 29, 2004, 03:21 PM
Wow, that sucks... sorry dude! I'm surprised they keep the antennas on like that in the box, you'd think that would be part of the user's assembly. :confused:

Edit: I see, the photo explains it. It wasn't what I was picturing. Can you open the case to see how the actual components are positioned inside? Were they not soldered to the mobo correctly? Or is the case/mobo just misaligned?

Mr. Anderson
Sep 29, 2004, 03:25 PM
Damn - that's just not right. I know your pain, though.

I ordered the original Sawtooth, had the thing arrive, went and looked at everything and discovered they had sent me a Yikes - standard memory and none of my bto options. The worst thing was having the thing sit there knowing it had to be shipped back and then go through the waiting process.

Let us know how it turns out.

D

zelmo
Sep 29, 2004, 03:26 PM
Man, that is the absolute worst feeling in the world (well, it ranks up there somewhere anyway). I feel your anguish.
I waited in line over night at the local Wal-Mart for my PS2 (first in line baby!..what a geek). I took it home, but couldn't test it out because I had to go to work. All I thought about that day was plugging that sucker in and trying out SSX. When I got home from work, my @$$ dragging from being up for 36 hours, I hooked it up and IT DIDN'T FREAKIN' WORK!! I was so po'd. It wasn't like I could go to the store and exchange it - everyone was sold out for weeks.
I called my nephew to commiserate (sp?). Luckily for me, he had somehow gotten a hold of two, so he let me have his other one until I could get mine replaced.
I hope the Apple Store can set you square as quickly.

zimv20
Sep 29, 2004, 03:32 PM
thanks, everyone. here's what it looks like:

Mr. Anderson
Sep 29, 2004, 03:34 PM
Are you going to have them work on it there or are they going to have to keep it for a while and ship it out to get fixed?

Maybe they give you an upgrade or something extra....but don't hold your breath for that.

Good luck,

D

zimv20
Sep 29, 2004, 03:43 PM
Are you going to have them work on it there or are they going to have to keep it for a while and ship it out to get fixed?
i figured i'd just drop it off. the support guy on the phone said something about swapping out the motherboard.

i'm debating on applestore vs. microcenter. the logistics of the downtown apple store (no parking) are giving me pause.

Maybe they give you an upgrade or something extra....but don't hold your breath for that.

that'd be nice, huh? frankly, there's not much more on the machine to upgrade :-)

Mr. Anderson
Sep 29, 2004, 03:53 PM
i figured i'd just drop it off. the support guy on the phone said something about swapping out the motherboard.

i'm debating on applestore vs. microcenter. the logistics of the downtown apple store (no parking) are giving me pause.

that'd be nice, huh? frankly, there's not much more on the machine to upgrade :-)

are the antennas connected directly? and would you get a new mobo? Interesting that they'd do that type of work in the store.....I've had what I've considered simple things required shipping out. Oh, well, good luck.

I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend, looking forward to checking out the big store downtown.

D

t300
Sep 29, 2004, 04:04 PM
I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend, looking forward to checking out the big store downtown.

I love the Chicago store...WAYYY nice. I have been there a few times and it is certainly one of my favs. You will love it. It has perfect placement.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 29, 2004, 04:50 PM
I love the Chicago store...WAYYY nice. I have been there a few times and it is certainly one of my favs. You will love it. It has perfect placement.

I've been to 3 or 4 others, but none of the flagship stores - I'm looking forward to it. Just wish I'd be leaving the store with a new machine :D

D

Jovian9
Sep 29, 2004, 09:30 PM
my 2.0 GHz dual g5, custom built from apple.com, finally arrived today. about 45 minutes ago.

i carefully unpackaged it, examining every included piece (i get to do this about once every 4-5 years, don'tcha know), and finally put the rather heavy computer on my table.

i was admiring everything about its loveliness, until...

ugh.

i will be taking it to the apple store tomorrow.

very disappointed.

Was the packaging/box damaged also? The reason I ask is b/c FedEx beat the crap out of my iMac G5 box (arrived today)......luckily no damage.

TLRedhawke
Sep 29, 2004, 09:58 PM
Apple actually builds the boxes so that they can be run over by a truck and still keep their shape, just because of lousy shippers. Actually, judging by how Apple stuff gets into my store, they go out of their way to hire crappy shippers.

PlaceofDis
Sep 29, 2004, 10:21 PM
zimv20 you could always go to the store in Woodfield, plenty of parking there, although im not sure if they will do the repairs there because it isnt one of the larger stores

zimv20
Sep 29, 2004, 11:28 PM
Was the packaging/box damaged also?
no, it looked fine. i suspect it was a shipping mishap, though. like maybe it took a good jarring.

zimv20
Sep 29, 2004, 11:30 PM
zimv20 you could always go to the store in Woodfield, plenty of parking there, although im not sure if they will do the repairs there because it isnt one of the larger stores
yeah, i'm not really a suburbs kind of guy, though. the real issue w/ the chicago store isn't the parking (there are garages), it's the several block walk from the garage to the store w/ the rather heavy g5. i'll figure it out.

zimv20
Oct 1, 2004, 09:00 PM
update: item dropped off at apple store
diagnosis: new mother board
notes: i've never powered up this machine

Elan0204
Oct 1, 2004, 09:25 PM

It is a really nice store. And, you should have seen the line on opening night, it was crazy. The theater seats are are very comfy, and you gotta love the glass staircase.

Oh, and don't forget the super long Genuis Bar.

wdlove
Oct 2, 2004, 01:48 PM
I've been to 3 or 4 others, but none of the flagship stores - I'm looking forward to it. Just wish I'd be leaving the store with a new machine :D

D

I'm jealous Mr. Anderson, you are so lucky to be able to visit a Flag Ship Apple Store. I hope that you will take and post pictures. It must be very exciting. If you want a machine why not, you only live once. ;)

zimv20, thank you for posting your experience. Don't think I would have noticed the problem. It will all work out. Once your using the new G5 the disappointment will be a faint memory.

switchedanhappy
Oct 2, 2004, 11:26 PM
when my dual 2 arrived the antennas were in a separate baggie that i plugged in. it seems odd that yours would be different. why would they do that? the packaging obviously isn't designed for it.

zimv20
Oct 2, 2004, 11:40 PM
my antennas were also in their own bags. it was the ports that was the problem. see the picture i attached above.

i'll have an update in a bit.

dontmatter
Oct 3, 2004, 12:17 AM
Was the packaging/box damaged also? The reason I ask is b/c FedEx beat the crap out of my iMac G5 box (arrived today)......luckily no damage.

There's no such thing as a non-crappy shipper.

zimv20
Oct 3, 2004, 01:38 AM
the chicago apple store was able to turn around the repair in just over 24 hours. they did indeed swap in a whole 'nother motherboard.

it was a warranty repair, of course, but my receipt shows a cost just shy of $900 (yikes).

i've got most of my stuff transferred over. user experience is MUCH faster than my dual g4/500, which had been feeling pretty sluggish over the past 6 months. i'll put it through its paces w/ ProTools soon enough.

other than the fact this thing isn't nearly as quiet as i thought it would be, i'm satisfied.

Counterfit
Oct 3, 2004, 01:42 AM
There's no such thing as a non-crappy shipper. Yes there is. YOU! ( I mean the generic you, the person reading this post, Smokey the Bear and Uncle Sam type YOU! Not as in you = dontmatter :D)

BakedBeans
Oct 3, 2004, 01:51 AM
it im honest, i would settle for no less than new as you dont know what type of damage it will cause in the futre with you bt and a/e

but its your call....

EDIT sorry to hear about you bad time....

zimv20
Oct 3, 2004, 03:30 AM
hmmm... seems my machine has no serial number...

BakedBeans
Oct 4, 2004, 05:33 PM
hmmm... seems my machine has no serial number...

UM really??? wow.. that cant be good.... have you checked properly (its inside the door i think) dont mean to be patronizing ;)

that sucks have you called apple yet?

zimv20
Oct 4, 2004, 06:46 PM
i did call apple. the first thing they asked for was my serial number :-)

turns out, it's cleared from the system once the motherboard is swapped out*. so they gave it to me for my records. when i open About This Mac and click over to where the serial no. is supposed to be, it says: Serial Number

* anyone know how/where the serial no. is stored? the above seems to imply it's stored on the motherboard somehow. makes sense -- i've swapped out main hard drives w/o losing the serial no.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 4, 2004, 06:57 PM
Glad you got it fixed, didnt even know you had a new machine. cool! I got a new machine also but if i posted it i would be ran off the sight ;)

Counterfit
Oct 6, 2004, 12:55 AM
* anyone know how/where the serial no. is stored? the above seems to imply it's stored on the motherboard somehow. makes sense -- i've swapped out main hard drives w/o losing the serial no. I think it's in the firmware maybe?

bubbamac
Oct 6, 2004, 02:12 AM

Mr. Anderson
Oct 6, 2004, 08:30 AM
good to hear it all worked out - even with the no serial number issue. I just hope you don't have to return it again to get that taken care of. I assume its required for the warrantee?

The Chicago store is quite nice - didn't get to take pics, though. Way too busy that day. I'll be back up there again soon, I imagine - its only 2.5 hours away - a little much for a day trip, but not that bad.

I really liked the iMac corner upstairs across from the genius bar - the 20 or so iMacs (original LCD) with iSights for people to use. Apple does things right. :D

D

keysersoze
Oct 6, 2004, 09:27 AM
Way back when I was having iBook logic board issues, I had the same issue with the serial number. Once the logic board was replaced, no serial number in the 'About this Mac' section. I found it under the keyboard, which doesn't help you, but it's definitely somewhere on the machine itself.

Mord
Oct 6, 2004, 09:36 AM
Glad you got it fixed, didnt even know you had a new machine. cool! I got a new machine also but if i posted it i would be ran off the sight ;)

spill the beans what did you get?

keysersoze
Oct 6, 2004, 09:37 AM
spill the beans what did you get?

Smells like PeeCee to Me... :)

narco
Oct 6, 2004, 09:39 AM
I was disappointed when I first saw the bluetooth and airport antennas PERIOD. They stick out JUST enough so that it doesn't fit in my desk. Why couldn't they make them hidden like the powerbooks?

.narco

keysersoze
Oct 6, 2004, 09:47 AM
I was disappointed when I first saw the bluetooth and airport antennas PERIOD. They stick out JUST enough so that it doesn't fit in my desk. Why couldn't they make them hidden like the powerbooks?

.narco

I can understand that Apple probably figures not a large number of PM G5 owners will actually use Aiport wireless.... (yeah, a stretch)... but the BlueTooth antenna blows my mind. The case has waaaaayyyy enough space to have it be integrated. And I presume a TON of people want wireless keyboards and whatnot for their PM G5's.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 6, 2004, 10:12 AM
The all metal shell makes receiving/transmitting signals a little difficult. The powerbooks have the antenna in the monitor.

But you'd think they'd come up with a more elegant solution....

D

iJon
Oct 6, 2004, 10:19 AM
i did call apple. the first thing they asked for was my serial number :-)

turns out, it's cleared from the system once the motherboard is swapped out*. so they gave it to me for my records. when i open About This Mac and click over to where the serial no. is supposed to be, it says: Serial Number

* anyone know how/where the serial no. is stored? the above seems to imply it's stored on the motherboard somehow. makes sense -- i've swapped out main hard drives w/o losing the serial no.
That is common with the Macs. Once the mobo is replaced serial number goes bye bye. If you take off your side door and look at the botton of that side you will your serial number along with info on your machine.

jon

zimv20
Oct 6, 2004, 12:17 PM
If you take off your side door and look at the botton of that side you will your serial number along with info on your machine.

i'll have a look, thanks

zimv20
Jan 3, 2005, 11:53 PM
exactly 90 days after i picked up the machine after the mobo replacement, the rear firewire port crapped out. it took me all day to diagnose it (the symptom was a very confused pro tools, whose hardware is connected via firewire).

why can't i just have a machine that works? argh.

>:-|

Counterfit
Jan 4, 2005, 12:50 AM
ouchies :(

Abstract
Jan 4, 2005, 12:54 AM
Firstly, that sucks.

Secondly, if I were you, I would be more afraid of not having a serial number than a FW port that crapped out on you. You need your serial number for so many things when dealing with Apple. And your SN may be different from the sticker placed on the door of the system if the original mobo was swapped out for a new one.

zimv20
Jan 4, 2005, 02:20 AM
your SN may be different from the sticker placed on the door of the system if the original mobo was swapped out for a new one.
it is. no worries, though, i have it. i called apple in october and got the new one from them. since they have it on record, kinda makes ya wonder why they're so darn insistent on "learning" it w/ each call.

zimv20
Jan 4, 2005, 06:00 PM
apple suggested resetting the PMU, which i did. magically, it seems to have worked. yee-ha!

sgarringer
Jan 4, 2005, 06:24 PM
It is a really nice store. And, you should have seen the line on opening night, it was crazy. The theater seats are are very comfy, and you gotta love the glass staircase.

Oh, and don't forget the super long Genuis Bar.

I went to that store 3 times in 2 days (convinced my friend to trade in his Dell that magically crapped out on our trip to Chicago with an iBook) and have to admit that store is amaizing.

I saw the funniest thing ever though. One of the big glass doors in the front was closed, and a guy was leaving in a hurry, and ran smack into the door. Paused a second, fell down. Then he got back up and kept on walking. Had to have embarrased the hell outta him =]

The glass staircase is amaizing, we were there near closing time and there was someone on their hands and knees cleaning each step with windex. It was snowing outside so people were tracking in all sorts of crap. I almost felt bad walking upstairs and messing up the stairs she had just finished cleaning.

Mertzen
Jan 4, 2005, 07:49 PM
. One of the big glass doors in the front was closed, and a guy was leaving in a hurry, and ran smack into the door. Paused a second, fell down. Then he got back up and kept on walking. Had to have embarrased the hell outta him =]

Oh god that is funny .. makes we want to stake out across the street from Soho all day to see something similat ..