Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbyme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
hi,
i have been looking for a dvd writer to install on my g3 powermac. I am interested in pioneer dvr-108 which has 16x dual layer writing and all other features. could anybody advise meabout its compatibility with my computer, if not what do i do to make it compatible. I am currently running system 9.1 on my computer. Also which burning software would i be needing with it?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I'm not sure if you can burn DVDs with a G3 processor... You would need something like Toast Titanium 6, which I believe is Mac OS X only. You will probably have to upgrade to Mac OS X in order to burn DVDs just because there isn't really any software that will work in OS 9 that burns DVDs. Your PowerMac G3 will run OS X without any problems.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
Firstly, I recommend upgrading to OsX. It makes the G3 processor that much faster. Pioneer have always made quality DVD players/Burners, especially with the Home Cinema variety. The model you are looking at is a very good model, and as has been said before, Toast would be you best bet for Dvd authoring. Just out of interest, are you using a blue and white G3, or a beige model?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
iDVD won't run....encoding will be a week-long process...and don't G3s have SCSI in some of them, or was that changed?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I doubt iDVD will work anyways because it probably won't recognize the drive. Its supposed to only work with SuperDrives shipped standard with Macs, but on some drives there is a way that you MIGHT get it to work with iDVD.

SCSI did come with the Beige G3's, but B&W G3's did not come with SCSI. Everything switched to IDE. SCSI was optional via a PCI Card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.