PDA

View Full Version : Intel demos Light Peak in a laptop

firewood
May 4, 2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/357688/intel-shows-off-first-light-peak-laptop

velocityg4
May 4, 2010, 04:50 PM
I would prefer they stop demoing it and release it already. I've been wanting to wire my house for quicker network speeds but am waiting for Lightpeak to see how much the add on cards, switch and cabling cost. If not too high I would prefer 10 Gigabit over Gigabit as my server easily handle speeds over gigabit and 802.11n is horrendously slow with too high a latency.

pukifloyd
May 4, 2010, 06:04 PM
This is pretty damn awesome.
USB3 is already old!

maybe the next gen mbp(2011) will have these!:)

ravenvii
May 4, 2010, 09:21 PM
I would prefer they stop demoing it and release it already. I've been wanting to wire my house for quicker network speeds but am waiting for Lightpeak to see how much the add on cards, switch and cabling cost. If not too high I would prefer 10 Gigabit over Gigabit as my server easily handle speeds over gigabit and 802.11n is horrendously slow with too high a latency.

They've always stated they plan to release the technology in fall, 2010, so the fact that they seem to be making good progress is a good thing. Can't wait!

nuckinfutz
May 4, 2010, 09:31 PM
LP is gonna be expensive but at least it's a wire once deal. The cables will go on out to 100Gbps and beyond. I'd rather run that than run copper

MikhailT
May 4, 2010, 09:35 PM

They're showing progress of the technology, which is much better than them being completely quiet and not saying anything for a long which will throw some doubts on the LP technology.

Lightpeak will not be ready for mass production this year for sure. It'll be similar to the way USB3.0 is now, couple of controller cards and small number of devices for sale. I foresee mass production by end of 2011 or beginning of 2012. MBP with LP in second half of 2012.

ayeying
May 5, 2010, 12:17 AM
Lightpeak will not be ready for mass production this year for sure. It'll be similar to the way USB3.0 is now, couple of controller cards and small number of devices for sale. I foresee mass production by end of 2011 or beginning of 2012. MBP with LP in second half of 2012.

Small number of devices? I was just at frys today looking for a FW800 enclosure and could not find a single one. I did find a FW400 though.

However, nearly 1/2 of the aisle was USB 3.0 device, the other half was USB 2.0 and eSATA.

Rodimus Prime
May 5, 2010, 12:30 AM
The problem with USB 3.0, and even more so with Light Peak is going to be is neither are backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

It will take 3-4 years at best to have wide s USB 3.0 or light peak after release after they are standard on new computers.. USB 3.0 still is not really standard yet mainly because intel still has not release boards for them.

eSata is getting help because the connection ties into the the controller internally on a computer so it is easy to make an external adapter for the eSata port. Plus the eSata ports on computers are more being double as another USB port.

Firewire was hurt by the same fact is that it was not wide spread deployed and did offer enough uses over USB 2.0.

What they need to make is the ports be backward compatible with USB 2.0 and that is how to get them deployed

ravenvii
May 5, 2010, 01:16 AM
Small number of devices? I was just at frys today looking for a FW800 enclosure and could not find a single one. I did find a FW400 though.

However, nearly 1/2 of the aisle was USB 3.0 device, the other half was USB 2.0 and eSATA.

USB3.0 ≠ USB2.0...

ayeying
May 5, 2010, 03:34 PM
USB3.0 ≠ USB2.0...

I never said they were the same... I was just saying that USB 3 devices are pretty common in stores now.

nuckinfutz
May 5, 2010, 03:39 PM
USB 3.0 is *****.

MikhailT
May 5, 2010, 04:20 PM

Those are just external devices, far easier to add a USB 3.0 to an external cases than it is to get it in laptops/desktops. So it doesn't mean anything, how many laptops can you name that has USB 3.0 support? They are barely just started to come out and USB3.0 has been around for almost a year with the USB3.0 Spec released back in 2008.

http://www.everythingusb.com/superspeed-usb.html Look at the timeline on the right side.

ravenvii
May 6, 2010, 12:40 AM
I never said they were the same... I was just saying that USB 3 devices are pretty common in stores now.

Wow, I totally misread your post, no idea how that happened. My apologies!