PDA

View Full Version : Question for iBook G3 owners…

me_94501
Sep 29, 2004, 09:51 PM
More specifically, G3 iBook owners who have had a logic board replaced since Apple instituted the iBook logic board repair program: How has your logic board held up since being replaced? I had mine replaced twice before (though before the repair program was institued) and I'm about to send it in you yet another new logic board, so I'm curious how others have faired since the institution of the repair program.

noahsnyc
Sep 29, 2004, 11:54 PM
I had my iBook in three times before it qualified for a logic board replacement. It exhibited all symptoms of the logic board issue, but originally didn't qualify. Eventually, it did, and they took it in again, only for it to return with the exact same issue right out of the box.

They very kindly sent me a new iBook G4 and some bells and whistles. Still, it was a bitch...very stressful

My advice is to create as much of a paper trail and history of the issue trying to be resolved as possible and put Apple on the spot, asking them at what point you'll get a replacement since obviously they can't solve the problem with your computer.

I've been there, buddy...

N.

me_94501
Sep 30, 2004, 12:05 AM
I had my iBook in three times before it qualified for a logic board replacement. It exhibited all symptoms of the logic board issue, but originally didn't qualify. Eventually, it did, and they took it in again, only for it to return with the exact same issue right out of the box.

They very kindly sent me a new iBook G4 and some bells and whistles. Still, it was a bitch...very stressful

My advice is to create as much of a paper trail and history of the issue trying to be resolved as possible and put Apple on the spot, asking them at what point you'll get a replacement since obviously they can't solve the problem with your computer.

N.
Well, I have all the proof-of-repair certificates from the previous two repairs. Quite frankly I'm just about fed up. I'm about ready to call them back tomorrow, ask about a replacement, and cancel the repair if I can get a replacement out of it. (I probbly won't; mine's all scratched up, so there's no anxiety over it getting scratched any worse. ;) )

hfarrant
Sep 30, 2004, 12:06 AM
I have an iBook G3 and have never heard of this logic board problem. What is it and what are the symptoms? Is it common?

noahsnyc
Sep 30, 2004, 12:15 AM
I remember quite clearly - Four times it went into Apple and five times it was left or taken into the local Apple Store. After the fourth time, that's when they offered the replacement with little chiding on my part.

My advice is, if you have the warranty, time and can spare the patience, take it into the Apple Store and offer it to a Genius, knowing well that they probably can't help you. Then send it in again. Basically, show that you've made a very good-faith effort on your part to resolve the issue.

I think that they need at least three attempts to repair the computer before replacing it, and you definitely don't want to call up and sound like a guy who's tired of his antiquated G3 and wants a current G4....Let them offer it to you....

Basically, they need to aggree that "repairing" your computer is yielding no result, so they'll need to do something else.

N.

noahsnyc
Sep 30, 2004, 12:16 AM
I have an iBook G3 and have never heard of this logic board problem. What is it and what are the symptoms? Is it common?

Apple Logic Board Replacement FAQ/Program/Desc. (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/)

It's a bitch.

spaceballl
Sep 30, 2004, 12:31 AM
More specifically, G3 iBook owners who have had a logic board replaced since Apple instituted the iBook logic board repair program: How has your logic board held up since being replaced? I had mine replaced twice before (though before the repair program was institued) and I'm about to send it in you yet another new logic board, so I'm curious how others have faired since the institution of the repair program.
I'm on my second board, but I really think this one's a winner.
-Kevin

me_94501
Sep 30, 2004, 12:40 AM
I thought mine was a winner too. But I think mine has been slowly failing for the last couple months; the video would sometimes be briefly scrambled after waking it from sleep and would flicker when I closed the lid.

Datazoid
Sep 30, 2004, 02:20 AM
My 2nd board, in addition to KPing constantly, showed worse artifacts than the original. It was sent in several more times, the issue was never received. I type this as a happy Apple customer, though, on a nice shiny iBook G4. :D I just hope this one doesn't end up being as troubled as its older brother. On the other hand, the thought of getting a new computer free every three years is pretty appealing. ;) Just hold out, though; if they can't fix it (honestly, I really think they don't know what the problem is), you will get what you deserve in the end (with a bit of poking and prodding on your part).

5300cs
Sep 30, 2004, 05:32 AM
I have a G3 800 iBook and I only had to send it in once so far (had it for a a little over a year.) It was done very quickly by Apple Japan (picked up on a Saturday, returned Monday night.)

Recently though, the battery has crapped out on me. If I leave it unplugged for 2 days or more, it completely dies :mad: I, personally, have lost faith in iBooks and so I went out and bought a 12" PB (used, good price) instead.

varmit
Sep 30, 2004, 06:38 AM

N.

I think the reason why they gave a new G4, is because they have to. I believe its a leamon law or something companies go by, that if a product is returned 3 times for the same repair, they have to replace it. I guess they are out of G3 iBooks, so you go an upgrade to the G4.

wPod
Sep 30, 2004, 07:53 AM
:mad: I, personally, have lost faith in iBooks and so I went out and bought a 12" PB

been there done that. mine died the first time under warntee (i didnt get apple care, why get a computer repaired for 3 years if i am sending it in for repairs every 2 months?!) i had battery problems on top of the logic board. so the second time the logic board died i set aside the iBook and got a nice shiny PB (no problems after more than a year now (knock on wood)) when apple decided to fix the logic board for free i sent the iBook in again. about two months later it died. . . again. . .(i gave it to my little brother to use since i have the pb) and after three trips to repair ive never been offered an iBook G4 :-/ i would say the repair is questionable at best. im just happy i got the PB, it works great!

sgarringer
Sep 30, 2004, 09:20 AM
iBook G3 800 -- replaced power inverter once, logic board 0 times. Not showing any signs of aging and it sits in a truck bumping around all day (I work for cable company and just throw it in back). Its a bit scatched (my tool belt fell on top of it once) but works great.

Mord
Sep 30, 2004, 05:32 PM
mines been done twice, it's going slowly and i'm getting artifacts every now and again, if i get an ibook g4 i'll sell it and get a 15" powerbook with the money i make from it and my 512MB crucial stick.

jefhatfield
Sep 30, 2004, 05:48 PM
i have the ibook 300/32/3, rev a, and when the g3 dual usb/firewire icebook came out, i thought i had been ripped off since the new g3 ibook was so much better on paper...and less expensive...and lighter

but when i heard about the logic board problem on the g3 icebook happening to so many people, then i felt lucky

but one thing that limited me with the rev a was the lack of firewire and it bummed me to no end...usb works but is not the ideal form of transferring data...but thank god for usb 2.0 these days, along with firewire and firewire 800

i may get a g4 ibook or emac and either machine will be so much more powerful than my old rev a ibook i wouldn't be able to put it into words...but the old clamshell ibook still looks as cool as the day i bought it :)

bankshot
Sep 30, 2004, 06:07 PM
My 600 has been in twice for the problem. I was kind of surprised the second time it happened because, after all, weren't they supposed to replace the logic board with one that was redesigned to avoid the problem altogether? Apparently not.

The first time, it came back without a working modem. We didn't notice this for several months because we rarely use the modem except when traveling. By the time we finally got around to taking it in, the video problem popped up again. Now it has trouble recognizing an external screen (S-video to a TV in our case) unless you jiggle the connector just right. I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking in for this or whether we should just live with it.

I wouldn't mind at all if the video problem happened a third time and we could talk them into giving us a G4 iBook. :D

bryng
Sep 30, 2004, 06:26 PM
I'm on my fourth logic board now on a 800 MHz iBook G3 ... not counting the 700 MHz logic board that they thought they'd replace it with the first time I took it in! :confused:

(Feeling a little gypped on the lack of an iBook G4 at this point) :(

destroyboredom
Sep 30, 2004, 11:46 PM
I'm on my fourth logic board now on a 800 MHz iBook G3 ... not counting the 700 MHz logic board that they thought they'd replace it with the first time I took it in! :confused:

(Feeling a little gypped on the lack of an iBook G4 at this point) :(

If it makes you feel better I'm on my 4th logic board as well on my G3 800. To respond to the original question, mine was in for repair the 2nd time after they started the logic board program and failed again. At that point, I called Apple customer support and kindly told them of my dissatisfaction with the issue and that I refuse to send the unit back if there isn't a permanent fix. They told me they wouldn't expect me to go through a 4th hardware repair should it fail again, and would replace the unit. I'm just waiting for the failure, it's been 3 months since that repair.

I'm glad to hear Apple stepping up to the plate and sending people G4 units. Like another user said, I would probably sell it (new) and buy a 15" powerbook.

me_94501
Oct 1, 2004, 02:24 AM
I think that I'll just go this one last logic board replacement before asking for a whole new machine. This is my third time replacing the logic board and second due to the video issue. Since it seems to be that they'll repair the iBook three times for a particular issue before replacing the whole thing, I'll give it one more shot.

rhpenguin
Oct 1, 2004, 08:15 AM
I'm on logic board #3. If this one goes (which it will.. These things only seem to last about 6 months max) I'm going to do something about it with Apple. Like ive got nothing against the iBooks performance, ive got really bad things to say about its reliability though.

BTW, everything else in my laptop asside from the screen has been replaced too.

me_94501
Oct 5, 2004, 11:00 PM
I came home today and found a message from some woman at Apple, responding to an email I sent to leadership@apple.com.

I'll call her back tomorrow morning and keep you posted.

destroyboredom
Oct 16, 2004, 10:29 PM
Just in case you are curious....my ibook logicboard died today. I'll be calling Apple soon and requesting a new unit (g4 ibook). This is my 4th failure since January.

spaceballl
Oct 17, 2004, 10:18 PM
I'm on logic board #3. If this one goes (which it will.. These things only seem to last about 6 months max) I'm going to do something about it with Apple. Like ive got nothing against the iBooks performance, ive got really bad things to say about its reliability though.

BTW, everything else in my laptop asside from the screen has been replaced too.
Hey i'm on my 3rd logic board too. I see that you have a Hitachi drive in your iBook just like I do in mine. If you get a new laptop, I DOUBT they will swap the drive for you. So are you willing to just give up the HD for the new laptop? let me know your thoughts.
-Kevin

JeffTL
Oct 17, 2004, 11:14 PM
I just DHLed my G3/800 in for the first time last week, should show up at the fruit stand in Tennessee Monday morning.

As I am literally having to borrow an iBook from my grandmother to accomodate a handwriting disability (have to have a Mac to really do Spanish on a laptop, so borrowing a PC is out of the question) for college purposes, if it goes bad again I'm going to try to push them for a G4. These logic board repairs must cost Apple something; there's probably a point where it's cheaper just to send a G4.

5300cs
Oct 18, 2004, 05:33 AM
So, what's the general consensus on keeping the logic board from dying? Just, like, not use it? :mad: I have a G3/800 and if I sold it now, I'd make like $300 on it maybe. I want to use this as long as I can without having to worry about the logic board going "tits up" as another member put it so susinctly(sp?).

I think it was Counterfit (hope I spelled it right this time :D ) who said never pick the iBook up by the front right corner as this is where the logic board is... anyone else heard this?

rogerw
Oct 18, 2004, 06:39 AM
ibook g3 800mhz on 3rd (or 4th?) logic board

when it works, its great

MisterG5
Oct 18, 2004, 04:46 PM
I am on my fourth logic board replacement since January, less than 30 days since the last one. I called Apple and they have offered to replace it with a G4. New ones are coming out tomorrow...should I call back tomorrow and ask if I am getting one of the new models since I haven't even received the tags to send my iBook G3 (800 MHz/640 MB RAM/30GB HDD/COMBO) in to them? -- What is the opinion of the MacRumors professionals? :D

JeffTL
Oct 18, 2004, 10:16 PM
Just got e-mail tonight saying my G3 has been mailed back to me.

And they just got it this morning.

I like Apple more every day -- let's just say an iMac G5 is in my future.

spaceballl
Oct 18, 2004, 10:35 PM
I am on my fourth logic board replacement since January, less than 30 days since the last one. I called Apple and they have offered to replace it with a G4. New ones are coming out tomorrow...should I call back tomorrow and ask if I am getting one of the new models since I haven't even received the tags to send my iBook G3 (800 MHz/640 MB RAM/30GB HDD/COMBO) in to them? -- What is the opinion of the MacRumors professionals? :D
Here is some encouraging info. My computer has been acting weird for a few days, and today it became unusable. I called Apple. This would be my FOURTH logic board replacement. I asked for a new unit, and i'm getting one. So I can confirm the iBook updates cuz i'm getting a new one, the guy said. I'm paying a little over $100 to get the 60gb harddrive and bluetooth. But they're also refunding me for a $300 repair that should have been under warranty before they started the iBook logic board repair program. So overall, here's what just happened to me.
Overall, I gain a little less than $200 in refunds (subtracting what i paid for upgrades)

700 mhz G3 to 1.2ghz G4
640mb RAM to 768mb RAM (they can't just give me 640 because there is 256 built in instead of 128)
Airport to Airport Extreme
60gb to 60gb
no BT to BT

So I basically got a way better computer and made money. Thanks, Apple!

destroyboredom
Oct 19, 2004, 12:11 AM
Spaceball-
This is very good news. My logicboard is just about dead, the video went out but I was able to get it working again and I haven't moved it from it's current position.

Did you call Applecare or customer service? How did the conversation go? Did they agree to the new unit without much hassle? I was worried of calling and getting a refurbed G4 1GHZ unit. Maybe I should just call tomm and ask for a new unit. This would be my 4th replacement as well.

EDIT: When I do get this model replaced, will I be able to strip the RAM from it before sending it back? I bought the memory upgrade at time of purchase. The original purchase was made through a small apple reseller.

Here is some encouraging info. My computer has been acting weird for a few days, and today it became unusable. I called Apple. This would be my FOURTH logic board replacement. I asked for a new unit, and i'm getting one. So I can confirm the iBook updates cuz i'm getting a new one, the guy said. I'm paying a little over $100 to get the 60gb harddrive and bluetooth. But they're also refunding me for a $300 repair that should have been under warranty before they started the iBook logic board repair program. So overall, here's what just happened to me.
Overall, I gain a little less than $200 in refunds (subtracting what i paid for upgrades)

700 mhz G3 to 1.2ghz G4
640mb RAM to 768mb RAM (they can't just give me 640 because there is 256 built in instead of 128)
Airport to Airport Extreme
60gb to 60gb
no BT to BT

So I basically got a way better computer and made money. Thanks, Apple!

spaceballl
Oct 21, 2004, 11:47 AM
I called Customer Care. Basically, I just told them that I've replaced the logic board X amount of times and it is unacceptable. I'm a student and I have a job. Can I seriously be expected to constantly send in my iBook to be repaired? I told them I felt I deserved a replacement and that I didn't care if I got the exact same model as I had right now, as long as it worked. They offered me a new model and I explained the upgrades I had on it and offered proof of them. They compenesated for them on the model they're sending me.

destroyboredom
Oct 21, 2004, 04:53 PM
I called Customer Care. Basically, I just told them that I've replaced the logic board X amount of times and it is unacceptable. I'm a student and I have a job. Can I seriously be expected to constantly send in my iBook to be repaired? I told them I felt I deserved a replacement and that I didn't care if I got the exact same model as I had right now, as long as it worked. They offered me a new model and I explained the upgrades I had on it and offered proof of them. They compenesated for them on the model they're sending me.

Thanks. I called them last night and they were very good at handling the situation. I told the tech, about the numerous repairs and he put me right through to customer care, and they are sending me a new one.

spaceballl
Oct 22, 2004, 05:19 AM
1 ghz or 1.2?

destroyboredom
Oct 22, 2004, 06:51 AM
1 ghz or 1.2?
1.2 ghz

MisterG5
Oct 29, 2004, 12:01 PM
Just a question to those who have gotten replacements...how long after Apple received it did it take for you to get it. How do they ship? (Airborne/DHL, FedEX, USPS, UPS, etc.). Thanks!

rtdgoldfish
Oct 31, 2004, 01:36 AM
My 800mHz iBook G3 will be going back to Apple for the third time on Monday. I bought it in July of 2003, had the logic board replaced in October '03 and in May '04. Now it is out of the free support period and Apple wanted me to pay $49.99 to send it in. I finally got them to send me a box and fix it for free but they told me since it is over a year old, I cannot get a replacement and they will repair it as many times as needed but I will never be able to get an iBook G4. Anyone else had this problem?? I don't want to send my laptop to Apple every 4 months to have the same thing fixed!!

spaceballl
Nov 2, 2004, 06:16 PM
Goldfish, you just need the gift of how to work the system... Actually though, is it your motherboard that's dieing? Because the iBook logic board replacement extends your warranty for 6 months each time they fix it. So if they're fixing it for free, that sucks... but you need to tell them that it is within warranty. Talk about how it is unethical for them to expect you to mail a computer back every 4 months and you have a job and you're a student and blah blah blah...
-Kevin

chanoc
Nov 2, 2004, 07:37 PM
Got my 500 off eBay, not sure if previous owners had the logic board replaced. Got a Power Mac G4 1.25GHz once and it had a crappy logic board, and Apple states that their refurbished products are troughly tested. :rolleyes:

Sweetfeld28
Nov 2, 2004, 08:45 PM
Speaking of problems with the iBook G3, has anyone had an issue with their laptop getting really hot where the HD is, and then dying. Besides dying, after i try and boot it up i get the question mark folder icon screen. But, after i let it sit for awhile, and cool down, then i try and boot it; and it boots fine!?

The first couple of times it has done this, it didn't boot to the system folder at all. It got me so furstrated that i had to reinstall 10.3 (5 times). Just yesterday i finally got the nerve to call Apple, and the guy i talked to said that the extended logic board program had to do with mostly display issues.

I would first like to know if anyone else has had this happen to them? And if this is true, that my G3 iBook, which is covered by the logic board program, couldn't get the logic board replaced? Or, does anyone think that it might just be the HD in the iBook going bad?

zyuzin4
Nov 2, 2004, 08:51 PM
my ibook is doing great after the repair which was done a month after the program was instituted

destroyboredom
Nov 3, 2004, 12:45 AM
MisterG5-

I shipped my ibook out last Monday (week and 1/2 ago) and Apple shipped my replacement today. It shipped Fedex 2 day from Taiwan, and delivery is scheduled for Thursday. Keep in mind I had BTO option (bigger HD) so that held it up a bit i think.

Apple's "rule" on this, is that when they see status on the tracking number of the defective coming back to them, they process the replacement and ship out. That's what I was told anyway, and they seem to have stuck by that.

Just a question to those who have gotten replacements...how long after Apple received it did it take for you to get it. How do they ship? (Airborne/DHL, FedEX, USPS, UPS, etc.). Thanks!

frescies
Nov 3, 2004, 02:16 AM
CHRIST!!!

Ok i have a question for ibook g3 owners... Has anyone NOT had problems with their logic board? So far i havent, but i dont use it all day, everyday... now im worried.

dvdh
Nov 3, 2004, 08:07 AM
What can I say, as far as I was concerned it was just a matter of time. . . :(

I phoned up Compusmart (Ottawa, since BMac is gone) and they told me that it would be a 7 day turn around ONCE THEY GOT THE PARTS. They wouldn't even hazard a guess of how long it would take apple to send a new logic board. It sounds like there is quite a back-log of orders on those . . .

Anyways, I am starting to wonder if I should just push apple for a new machine? The only catch is that I still have to salvage my data (not even thing is backed up) before I can send it away.

My guess is that I can TDM the machine, as it will boot up (no video) and then fall asleep indicating that it doesn't always hang. I tried to running it sitting on its screen with the logic board in vertical position but that is hit and miss. Only was able to burn a single CD before I got those familiar jittery black lines and ghosty image.

Sigh. . . . .

MisterG5
Nov 5, 2004, 06:25 PM
Ok...I got my iBook today. It is great, I am glad Apple made good on their promise to replace my soreful iBook G3. I received it rather quickly, and overall am VERY SATISFIED!

dvdh
Nov 5, 2004, 06:42 PM
. . . .I am glad Apple made good on their promise to replace my soreful iBook G3. . . .

Thats great to hear. My G3 is in the shop right now having the standard transplant. So maybe the next time that it dies, Apple will offer to give me a new one as well. . . . :rolleyes:

Brother Michael
Nov 5, 2004, 07:07 PM
I just recieved mine back yesterday...they put the wrong board in it. I called them back, they are sending me a box to get the right board put back in it.

Thank you Apple.

Mike

Brother Michael
Nov 5, 2004, 07:09 PM
Speaking of problems with the iBook G3, has anyone had an issue with their laptop getting really hot where the HD is, and then dying. Besides dying, after i try and boot it up i get the question mark folder icon screen. But, after i let it sit for awhile, and cool down, then i try and boot it; and it boots fine!?

The first couple of times it has done this, it didn't boot to the system folder at all. It got me so furstrated that i had to reinstall 10.3 (5 times). Just yesterday i finally got the nerve to call Apple, and the guy i talked to said that the extended logic board program had to do with mostly display issues.

I would first like to know if anyone else has had this happen to them? And if this is true, that my G3 iBook, which is covered by the logic board program, couldn't get the logic board replaced? Or, does anyone think that it might just be the HD in the iBook going bad?

My HDD gets very hot...but it has never been a problem. I jsut prop it up for a while.

As for the Question mark folder I was created to that when I received my Mac back form AppleCare.

pewtermoose
Nov 6, 2004, 09:44 AM

Yes! That happened to me a lot with my G3 500.

My model wasn't covered under the program for quite some time and I couldn't afford to pay for the repair. So I figured out that if you sort smack it in just the right place, it would typically come back to where you could use it at least (though often with a few artifacts). Funny thing is, this happened to be right over the HD.

I had my logic board replaced once, but ultimately last week, the HD in it died. Fed up with having to deal with it and not wanting to have to go thru what so many others have had to to get it fixed or replaced, I broke down and bought the new 1.2Ghz G4.

I'm either going to call or e-mail Apple with my disgust (not telling them I have this new iBook). But - it's out of warranty and the previous Logic Board replacement is now out of warranty also. Should I still risk it and call Apple?

wdlove
Nov 6, 2004, 02:04 PM
CHRIST!!!

Ok i have a question for ibook g3 owners... Has anyone NOT had problems with their logic board? So far i haven't, but i dont use it all day, everyday... now im worried.

I purchased an iBook G3 July 2001. The only problem was when Jaguar was installed the hard drive had to be replaced. That was in July 2002. No problems since. It is basically for a backup. I use it for folding and Safari.

iDave
Nov 6, 2004, 10:36 PM
Ok i have a question for ibook g3 owners... Has anyone NOT had problems with their logic board? So far i havent, but i dont use it all day, everyday... now im worried.
I've had my 600 DVD since October, 2001, with not one problem. It's used an average of about two hours a day.

dvdh
Nov 9, 2004, 01:11 PM
My G3/900/14.1/32 is coming back from the shop today. The tech is dropping it off at my apartment this afternoon. . . .

So here I go with logicboard number 3. . . . .

rtdgoldfish
Nov 10, 2004, 02:11 PM
My iBook went in to have its 3rd logic board replaced last Monday. I got it back on Wednesday and according to the repair slip, they didn't replace anything. I called Apple and the lady said they had replaced the CD drive (she had no idea why they did this). I still had a screen with lines running across it that went black after about 10 mins of use. They sent another box, shipped it off on Friday and I got it back yesterday (Tuesday). Now they replaced the LCD display and the screen isn't totally dead but I still get lines across it every few seconds. I called Apple again and worked my way up from a tech to a manager to a customer service rep but they said since my iBook is over a year old, they will not replace it and would send me another box. I tried the whole "I am a student, can't be without my iBook, blah, blah, blah" and they said I would have to send it in again! Has anyone else had this problem?? Or even better, anyone know the name of a customer service rep that is nice and would send me a replacement?? At this point, I don't even care if they just send me a refurb G3 unit, I just need a computer that doesn't have a bad display.

coolsoldier
Nov 13, 2004, 01:48 AM
My g3/800 has been in twice in the past two months, and being sent in again as soon as the materials come in. I've found (in my experience) that the Apple service people are very nice, but not very good at actually getting the product repaired.

When the logic board went out the first time, I called the support line, and they were very acomodating. They sent me the packing kit (complete with illustrated packing instructions and pre-cut tape strips) the next day and I sent it in.

2 weeks later, I got it back, with a broken CD drive, and the same logic board problem it had in the first place. (The drive was actually physically broken -- the tray wouldn't stay closed). I called Apple and they were very friendly and arranged to send me packaging materials to send it in again.

Except they didn't. When I called back two weeks later and pestered them, they were very friendly and agreed to send my packaging materials the next day.

When I got it back with a replaced CD drive and another new logic board (and, oddly enough, a new hard drive -- good thing I back up my data), it started up and ran fine -- but the new CD drive didn't actually WORK. Put in a CD and it would do nothing.

So, I called them back a fourth time. Again, very nice, etc. Supposedly they're sending me another box this weekend. I'll believe it when I see it.

Apple repair has the nicest, friendliest, most accomodating, most incompetent repair staff on earth. I guess that's 3 out of 4 :rolleyes: .

spaceballl
Nov 13, 2004, 03:58 AM
I feel bad for everyone who doesn't seem to have quite as successful of a story as I do. My replacement process seemed to drag on forever. At first they sent the wrong legal documents, etc etc. But now my new computer has shipped to me and it gets here on Tuesday. I'd say that 700 mhz G3 i bought on eBay a while back for $800 is a good swap for my new 1.2 ghz/768mbRAM/AE/80gb/BT computer...
-Kevin

Poeben
Nov 13, 2004, 04:06 AM
CHRIST!!!

No problems so far on G3 900. It is almost never shut down (slept of course..sometimes for days) and handled carefully at all times.

fedupwithIbook
Nov 16, 2004, 11:38 AM
I beleive I'm on my fifth logic board, second hard drive, 3rd screen, I can't remember the rest, and never has Apple offered a new computer. I had problems since it was a month old. The 2nd to last time it went in (about a week ago) we waited until we could go to an apple store to take it in. When we did we were asking for a new screen (ours had strange lines in it and since it wasn't our original we wanted it replaced) and it had a sound of a screw loose in the cd drive. (This is how it came back from the Repair Center) They sent it to that so called repair place in Tennessee and when it came back all of my system had been wiped out and Jaguar was put on (it never had Jaguar on it), and the screen was not replaced nor the screw loose fixed. Needless to say I was hot. Before I could send the computer back the next day the hard drive crashed. When I called Apple care I got nothing but put off. I am so fed up I've even considered leaving Mac and going with a cheap IBM. My brother has had a Toshiba for over a year without a single problem. You know I'm desperate when I start thinking like this.

How do I get a new Computer? I've tried everything--even writing corporate. Any suggestions?

By the way, all the replacements they've put in my computer are used so it's not like I have a new computer with everything having been replaced.

spaceballl
Nov 16, 2004, 11:46 AM
all these sad no replacement computer stories....

All I know is that I'm writing this reply from my new computer that came in yesterday... 80gb... 1.2 ghz G4... bluetooth... 768mb RAM... man this thing's hot

-Kevin

coolsoldier
Nov 16, 2004, 05:27 PM
I beleive I'm on my fifth logic board, second hard drive, 3rd screen, I can't remember the rest, and never has Apple offered a new computer. I had problems since it was a month old. The 2nd to last time it went in (about a week ago) we waited until we could go to an apple store to take it in. When we did we were asking for a new screen (ours had strange lines in it and since it wasn't our original we wanted it replaced) and it had a sound of a screw loose in the cd drive. (This is how it came back from the Repair Center) They sent it to that so called repair place in Tennessee and when it came back all of my system had been wiped out and Jaguar was put on (it never had Jaguar on it), and the screen was not replaced nor the screw loose fixed. Needless to say I was hot. Before I could send the computer back the next day the hard drive crashed. When I called Apple care I got nothing but put off. I am so fed up I've even considered leaving Mac and going with a cheap IBM. My brother has had a Toshiba for over a year without a single problem. You know I'm desperate when I start thinking like this.

How do I get a new Computer? I've tried everything--even writing corporate. Any suggestions?

By the way, all the replacements they've put in my computer are used so it's not like I have a new computer with everything having been replaced.

If you have any more problems, call corporate (408-996-1010 in the U.S.) and ask for customer relations. With that kind of repair record, I can't imagine that they wouldn't give you a replacement if you asked for one.

On a side note, it turns out that you get a whole different league of customer service if you call corporate first than if you call the "customer relations" number they list in their phone contacts (http://www.apple.com/contact/phone_contacts.html). I called them this afternoon and made more headway in 20 minutes than I have in the past two months of talking to "product specialists."

kjack54
Nov 16, 2004, 08:17 PM
my ibook g3 700 just had it first logic board replaced, almost two years old. went from good video to fuzzy to black screen in less than two days. Sent to Apple for repairs, they forgot to replace my ram.

fedupwithIbook
Nov 16, 2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks Coolsoldier, I'll call them in the morning. By the way, I did send a letter to corporate last Thursday, they should have it by now, but I haven't heard anything yet.

fedupwithIbook
Nov 17, 2004, 02:22 PM
I just got off the phone with Customer Relations and they are finally replacing my computer. Thank you for that number.

I did have to stand firm on not sending it in again and working with a Tech. They tried to get me to go that way, but I stood firm that the thing is a lemon and nothing is going to fix it right. I was nice though.

So for everyone else having trouble with their Ibook--write down this number 408-996-1010, you may need it.

Does anyone know if the IBook G4 has the same logic board problems?

Just wondering if I'm going to have problems with my new computer.

me_94501
Nov 25, 2004, 11:22 AM
It died again. New iBook G4 on the way within the next two weeks. :cool:

rtdgoldfish
Jan 10, 2005, 09:53 PM
So my iBook died for the 4th time today. Just using iCal and MS Word in my computer science class and all of a sudden, black screen. Called Apple and they want me to send it in for the logic board repair again. I told them this would be the 4th time the logic board has been replaced and they said that if it dies again, they will go about the replacement process and get me a G4 iBook.

A question for those of you that have been able to get a repacement: how many times did it take you?? I was thinking of calling the corperate number that several of you have posted and see where I can get. Does this sound like a good idea?? I am getting sick of sending in my laptop every three months for the same problem.

destroyboredom
Jan 10, 2005, 10:16 PM
Apple replaced mine after the 4th failure. After the 3rd failure I called and requested to speak with someone in customer relations, rather than tech support. I told them that I wanted a permanent solution and didn't want to send it in if it was just going to fail again. They requested I send it in one last time and that if it failed they would replace it with a a new unit. I sent the unit back and sure enough, about 4 months later I had a dead laptop. I called Applecare and politely told them the story about my last phone call and they put me through to customer relations again. They checked my files/records and replaced the unit without argument with a brand new G4 1.2ghz iBook!! This was 1 day after this unit had been announced too! I in turn sold the unit on this site and am now typing from my brand new DP 2.0GHZ Powermac.

I would call and ask to speak with customer relations. Just tell them that you think you have suffered from this problem enough and you think you deserve a replacement unit. I'm not sure how long you have owned your unit, but I had mine almost two years with all the failures coming after last January. (all in less than a year)

Good Luck!

hob
Jan 10, 2005, 10:35 PM
Apple replaced mine after the 4th failure. After the 3rd failure I called and requested to speak with someone in customer relations, rather than tech support. I told them that I wanted a permanent solution and didn't want to send it in if it was just going to fail again. They requested I send it in one last time and that if it failed they would replace it with a a new unit. I sent the unit back and sure enough, about 4 months later I had a dead laptop. I called Applecare and politely told them the story about my last phone call and they put me through to customer relations again. They checked my files/records and replaced the unit without argument with a brand new G4 1.2ghz iBook!! This was 1 day after this unit had been announced too! I in turn sold the unit on this site and am now typing from my brand new DP 2.0GHZ Powermac.

I would call and ask to speak with customer relations. Just tell them that you think you have suffered from this problem enough and you think you deserve a replacement unit. I'm not sure how long you have owned your unit, but I had mine almost two years with all the failures coming after last January. (all in less than a year)

Good Luck!

I managed to squeeze them to a powerbook - as they'd only give me a 14" iBook to replace my 12" and i insited on 12"! :D

Hob

rtdgoldfish
Jan 10, 2005, 10:48 PM
So it seems that it takes four repairs for them to offer a replacement. I am going to try my luck tomorrow by calling customer relations and getting it put in my file that I want a replacement the next time it breaks. I got the iBook in June 2003 and had the logic board replaced in 10/03, 5/04, 11/04 and now 1/05. It ends up being about every six months.

I guess so if they make me hold onto it for another six months, maybe there will be a new revision out and I will get a brand new one after having this thing for two years!

mcgarry
Jan 10, 2005, 10:54 PM
My brother's G3/500 CDRW has never had any logic board issues ... although we occasionally wish it did, because maybe when they fixed that they'd have to fix his ridiculously creaky/stiff hinge in the process??

So, any way to speed along a logic board failure? oh, just kidding.

point665
Jan 10, 2005, 10:59 PM
I have an 800mhz iBook G3, with Combo and all... Its a 2002 I believe. Could you guys with the 800s give me your serial numbers so I can see if my is somewhere in that same batch... My has not yet failed and the Logic Board Coverage expires March :( So I dont want my iBook failing right after it expires... It would really suck...

rtdgoldfish
Jan 10, 2005, 11:06 PM
I have an 800mhz iBook G3, with Combo and all... Its a 2002 I believe. Could you guys with the 800s give me your serial numbers so I can see if my is somewhere in that same batch... My has not yet failed and the Logic Board Coverage expires March :( So I dont want my iBook failing right after it expires... It would really suck...

According to the FAQ for Logic Board Replacement Program: (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/)

The program is available for certain iBook models (see below for a complete list) with serial numbers in the following range:

UV117XXXXXX to UV342XXXXXX

iBooks with the serial numbers listed above may be referred to as:

* iBook (16 VRAM)
* iBook (14.1 LCD 16 VRAM)
* iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM)
* iBook (32 VRAM)
* iBook (14.1 LCD 32 VRAM)
* iBook (800MHz 32 VRAM)
* iBook (900MHz 32 VRAM)
* iBook (14.1 LCD 900MHz 32 VRAM)
* iBook (Dual USB)
* iBook (Late 2001)
* iBook (14.1 LCD)

Hope that helps you out. And even if your serial doesn't fall into that range, give Apple a call if you have problems that are similar to what is on the FAQ. My friend's iBook didn't fall in the range of serial numbers but he ended up with a logic board failure and they fixed it for free.

spaceballl
Jan 11, 2005, 04:19 AM
Yeah you have to speak to CR... and you have to sweet talk them and tell them ho unethical you think it is of them for you to have to keep re-sending in your laptop and stuff... tell them you don't mind getting the exact same model as you have, but you need a new functioning one. Worked for me!
-Kevin

Benj
Jan 11, 2005, 06:04 AM
I bought my iBook G3 900 in about May 2003. Logic board died suddenly (i.e. not a gradual deterioration) for the first time in September or October 2004. It was diagnosed and repaired within about 10 days. Has been fine since.

I never shutdown - just put it to sleep but would say it is open and running for at least 5 hours a day on average.

Moral for me is I need two computers - so dependent on my mac now. Hard to cope without.

Apple should do something for all G3 iBook owner who have suffered - Apple Store vouchers or something. Really not good PR to have a whole range that is defective (and seemingly impossible to sort out).

rtdgoldfish
Jan 17, 2005, 09:33 AM
Got my iBook back from the repair shop today. Here we go with logic board #4. I guess Apple wants this one to work - the repair slip says "repair actions:iBook REA:ATI chip/reconnect LVDS cable/replace LCD pannel/replace logic board/replace optical drive"

So for my list of repairs to this iBook:
4 - logic board
3 - CD-ROM drive
3 - LCD display

I don't understand why Apple insists on replacing the CD drive so many times. Does this have any effect on the logic board at all?? I don't think so but if anyone knows anything about that, I would like to know.

At least next time the logic board goes out, I get a replacement. I only hope Apple has a new revision to the PowerBook or iBook line so I can get a G5 upgrade for free :D

rhpenguin
Jan 17, 2005, 02:07 PM
Hey i'm on my 3rd logic board too. I see that you have a Hitachi drive in your iBook just like I do in mine. If you get a new laptop, I DOUBT they will swap the drive for you. So are you willing to just give up the HD for the new laptop? let me know your thoughts.
-Kevin

I would swap in the factory hdd for the repair.

nerd05
Feb 22, 2005, 04:22 PM
Because the iBook logic board replacement extends your warranty for 6 months each time they fix it.

I didn't realize that the warranty extends every six months. According to the FAQ on Apple's web site, there is no extension to warranty.

When I sent my iBook off for the fourth time (second replacement of MLB, one other time for bad clutch cover, and the other time was when the repair person didn't re-assemble my computer properly...), I enclosed a very angry letter demanding a replacement computer that works. I can't deal with a new repair every couple of months. I paid too much for the system to have to deal with that. My system is officially out of its warranty, but I said in the letter that I didn't care about that. It was their mistake, and they need to fix it, don't you agree? I'll keep you guys posted on how this develops. I could really use an iBook G4...

nerd05
Feb 22, 2005, 04:29 PM
Got my iBook back from the repair shop today. Here we go with logic board #4. I guess Apple wants this one to work - the repair slip says "repair actions:iBook REA:ATI chip/reconnect LVDS cable/replace LCD pannel/replace logic board/replace optical drive"

So for my list of repairs to this iBook:
4 - logic board
3 - CD-ROM drive
3 - LCD display

I don't understand why Apple insists on replacing the CD drive so many times. Does this have any effect on the logic board at all?? I don't think so but if anyone knows anything about that, I would like to know.

At least next time the logic board goes out, I get a replacement. I only hope Apple has a new revision to the PowerBook or iBook line so I can get a G5 upgrade for free :D

When they say "replace" in that case, they're just referring to putting the part back in its place. Literally re-placing the part...

emsmith2323
Feb 26, 2005, 10:52 AM
I have an ibook g3 which has experienced the logic board issue twice now. The first time was when it was almost a year old. Still under warranty I took it in, they repaired it, I moved on. Then almost a year after that, it broke again. I took it in, it was NOT under warranty, and they fixed it and returned it at no cost to me. The bad thing was they stole my 512Mb ram chip (said it was broke) and put in a new hd (there was nothing wrong with the old one, so why replace it? I lost all my awesome software). I believe I read somewhere on the internet that Apple extended the warranty for logic boards to 3 years on specific serial number ibooks. I'm pretty sure it was posted on Apple site in their tech support area. I'd look for it but...I have stuff to do right now.
Hope this helps someone who experiences this issue with faulty ibooks.