PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Going Caseless?

jmorrow76
May 4, 2010, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure exactly why this makes so much of a difference however I seem to really have an issue with the feel using the iPad in case. I picked up the Apple case on launch day which is decent enough yet it just feels much better without an intrusive case. Am in alone on this?

Anyone else going caseless? I've taken the same approach with my iPhone for the past few years with no issues thus far.

gillybean
May 4, 2010, 07:13 PM
You could try a case like the Belkin Grip Vue.

It's clear and adds very little intrusiveness. It also makes the iPad easier to hold and protects it from scratches.

fishepa
May 4, 2010, 07:16 PM
Naked here. When I'm not using it I put it in the incase neoprene sleeve.

PerfectCr
May 4, 2010, 07:17 PM
Same here, caseless. I don't like using the iPad when inside of of a case. I do use the InCase Slip Sleeve to carry it from point A to point B however.

Toar77
May 4, 2010, 07:19 PM
I didn't like the feel of the case at first and removed it after the first day. After a couple of days I worried about scratching the bottom of the iPad. I started using the case again and now I wouldn't go without it. Just took a little getting used to.

Eric8199
May 4, 2010, 07:19 PM
I'm currently caseless, however I plan to buy a case for when I am traveling. Probably going to buy an Apple case if I can find one in stock.

jeffy777
May 4, 2010, 07:21 PM
It's not grippy enough for me, so I got a Belkin Grip View and it's perfect, and it's clear, so it doesn't hide the beauty.

harry*333
May 4, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm worried about getting scratches on the back:(
I'd like to get the belkin grip vue, but I like the apple case because it folds into a stand so I'll probably end up getting it when I can

HXGuy
Ive always been against using a case, I think it ruins the device, however for the iPad, the Macally Bookstand case makes it so much more convenient to use that I have to use it. I no longer have to use to hands to prop up and use the iPad...it can just stand on it's own which makes it really nice. Plus the case is so slim, you don't even notice it when using the iPad, it doesn't cover up any of the bezel.

http://www.ipadnews.it/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/BookStand.jpg

gigaguy
My plan, when I settle on my final iPad, is to just skin it. It's way too slippery naked for my hands.
I've ordered a textured back skin and will use a matte screen shield. I'll slip a case over it for outside use.
I had the Macally Bookstand for a while, and agree it was nice, but I want to go as minimal as possible.

itcrashed
May 4, 2010, 07:23 PM
Vinyl skin on the back and clear film on the front. I figure that's the best of both worlds. Scratch protection without the unnecessary clunkiness.

linsam
May 4, 2010, 07:28 PM
You could try a case like the Belkin Grip Vue.

It's clear and adds very little intrusiveness. It also makes the iPad easier to hold and protects it from scratches.

The Belkin Grip Vue is a great case. I tried it, but returned it for a Gelli case made by Casemate. It's thinner and adds even less bulk to my iPad. My iPad feels almost naked now. ;)

zepharus
May 4, 2010, 07:32 PM
It's not grippy enough for me, so I got a Belkin Grip View and it's perfect, and it's clear, so it doesn't hide the beauty.

+1

nicegoogly
May 4, 2010, 07:39 PM
I hate cases, but I have scuffed enough iPhones to know better. I am really careful with my stuff, too. The iPad didn't seem so slippery as it seems it could simply just lose balance in my hand with an awkward grab. What annoys me about Apple is the goddam Apple. That logo, from the word go on the iPhone and now the iPad is so sensitive. With the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS and now the iPad, the curved back put the most pressure on that Apple logo. Stale bread crumbs could easily scratch it. Otherwise, the rest of the case seems pretty scratch resistant. I got a couple silicon cases cheap on eBay for like 8 bucks, free shipping. Fit the iPad like a glove and don't take that much real estate. Not sure if it is grippier and it is silicon so grabbing it s certain way could move the case here and there, but so far so good. I can place it down and not worry. I have a Targus netbook 10" case, which was too roomy for the iPad, but now is a good fit with the silicon case on it. No other cases have been available, all sold out at Best Buy and the Apple store. Any of the good cases you will get price-gouged on eBay ($89.99 for the Apple case, ridiculous). I do love the look and feel of the iPad without a case though. Plus, no one I know has one, so it is instant "Hey, look at his new toy!"

ZombiePete
May 4, 2010, 07:41 PM
Been using mine sans case since the 30th and I cannot wait until my case arrives. Aside from the usefulness of having something to prop it up, the iPad has a very slick body and holding it in profile while reading can become a pain as it slips easily if you don't keep a firm grasp on it.

hariustrk
May 4, 2010, 07:44 PM
Using a gelaskin, very happy with it. Not bulky and fits into my slip case very nicely

themanfromvlad
May 4, 2010, 07:47 PM
I will be going caseless at least until my 90 days of accidental coverage from my credit card runs out! After that, we'll see.

stagi
May 4, 2010, 07:49 PM
I went with the Apple case because it can be propped up and that makes things easier to type. But I do think the case gets in the way and would prefer to go caseless. Maybe only when I am typing longer docs i'll put it in the case and normal use take it out? Still trying to figure it out.

FlashHead
May 4, 2010, 07:53 PM
Definitely naked. Marware Eco-vue for transport and assorted stand options.

Bigrahizzle
May 4, 2010, 07:58 PM
I have no case on it either. Just don't like it to be soo restrictive. I ordered a waterfield sleeve case ultimate(vertical) to put it in when I'm on the move.

If a company makes a slider type case I will try that out since I have a slider on my iPhone and just love how it doesn't take up soo much space.

Simgar988
May 4, 2010, 07:59 PM
Naked all the way

Zepaw
May 4, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have been using it naked, but I am now looking for a case. I use this too often so even the mustly dull edges are digging into my hand too much.

jsbaugh
May 4, 2010, 08:07 PM
Can't stand a case on it. I have the apple case but it adds weight and the only time I use it is if I take it out of the house. I do have a skin on the back to protect it.

scotty56
May 4, 2010, 08:09 PM
No case. Never have, never will. I love the way it feels naked in my hands. It rarely, if ever leaves my couch area or bed so it works for me.

erillanos
May 4, 2010, 08:17 PM
My iPad is still like it was born.
Naked it will always be.

It only sleeps in a hand made bag when in the bockbag.

Then its back to being naked.

PsyD4Me
May 4, 2010, 08:19 PM
Same here, caseless. I don't like using the iPad when inside of of a case. I do use the InCase Slip Sleeve to carry it from point A to point B however.

That would defeat the point of having a case in the first place, taking it in or out is a pita, I have a case on mine 24/7, the apple one

iWannaBeAdored
May 4, 2010, 08:20 PM
Tying this on my iPad :) I have my ipad naked as I prefer the feel of it naked. I put it in a sleeve when I'm not using it though :)

OasisNYK
May 4, 2010, 08:21 PM
iPhone - caseless when using, when not in use I keep it in a vaja retro slim for protection against scratches.

iPad - caseless when using, when not in use I keep it in a case with a lot of padding so it doesnt get crushed in my backpack (I travel a lot so my bad gets thrown around).

The way I see it is, Apple made these beautiful feats of engineering, why mess them up with a case?

Lumpydog
May 4, 2010, 08:21 PM
I prefer to use the iPad naked but I also like to just casually put it down on any surface to answer the phone, etc. Problem is, with the curved back - if the surface you place it on isn't clean - scratch city. Just take a look at the demo models at any apple store - backs are scratched to hell.

So I got an SGP Carbon skin. It let's you put it down without cringing when you hear that surface on surface scraping/crushing grains of sand sound. Additionally, it provides a textured surface which makes the iPad a little less slippery.

I have an incase slip cover to toss it into my backpack with.

Zazoh
May 4, 2010, 08:25 PM
No case on Macbook, iPhone Or iPad. A scratch here or there will not hurt them. And they are disposable devices. It cracks me up on the obsession with cases. Oh, I don't have slip covers on my couches either.

Cambot
May 4, 2010, 08:26 PM

I do the same :)

LCS
May 4, 2010, 08:44 PM
When it's at home, my iPad stays in the Apple case, for the most part. I've been doing a fair bit of book reading on mine since I got it Friday, and I find it's much easier to lie down and read while holding onto the Apple case (that obviously feels more like holding a book) than it is to hold the naked iPad. When I take it out, padding is more important, so it goes in a neoprene sleeve.

spinstorm
May 4, 2010, 09:51 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Spinstormer/photo-1.jpg

This is very good and looks cool. I have an NLU Anti-glare HD screen protector which looks great as well (I also have an Apple case I put it in when I go out).

I love the Apple case's flexibility but it gets dirty very easily - thats my only complaint... its slim and not at all bulky and if it was less dirty it would be perfect.

Got the carbon back protector from here:
http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_36/products_id/1321

OasisNYK
May 4, 2010, 10:15 PM
No case on Macbook, iPhone Or iPad. A scratch here or there will not hurt them. And they are disposable devices. It cracks me up on the obsession with cases. Oh, I don't have slip covers on my couches either.

I feel the same - i see so many people with crappy cases covering their awesome iPhones and they never get the full joy of using the device. I guess they think it will have higher resale vale but by the time they sell (assuming they keep it for the full 2 year contract, it wont be worth much anyway). You might as well enjoy your device. Besides - who is staring at the back?

Dammit Cubs
May 4, 2010, 10:59 PM
this probably won't make any sense but...i like girls who are only 50% naked and just tease you about the other 50%.

Going balls out 100% just isn't my style until im ready to party.

I like having my ipad in something and then take it out when i need to.

Ngoins
May 4, 2010, 11:11 PM
I bought a gelskin for the back, and it works well. Anything on the front makes it harder to clean. It goes in a sleeve for transport, but the front is gloriuosly nekkid when in use.

Zimmy68
May 4, 2010, 11:29 PM
I'm going caseless for the simple reason that I can't find a case in stock anywhere.
Until then, I am using a magazine sized shipping envelope.

Peanut207
May 5, 2010, 12:26 AM
I feel the same - i see so many people with crappy cases covering their awesome iPhones and they never get the full joy of using the device. I guess they think it will have higher resale vale but by the time they sell (assuming they keep it for the full 2 year contract, it wont be worth much anyway). You might as well enjoy your device. Besides - who is staring at the back?

This is just silly...although I feel the iphone looks and feels great naked I put a cover on it so it doesn't break if I drop it. Simple as that. If Apple can guarantee me a new iPhone if I drop it on concrete and the glass cracks, then I'm all for going naked...but that isn't happening. Lol Plus, I get just as much joy from using my iphone with a case on it as I do if it were naked...weird comment.

Anyway, about the iPad...I use a case. I'm using the Apple case right now but I just ordered the Marware Eco-Vue case. Looks really good to me plus it has received really good reviews. iPad feels great naked and it is a really well built piece of hardware but it's way too slippery IMO. I also like it propped up on a table when typing, surfing...etc, which you can't do without a case. Well at least certain cases...I'm not a fan of the skin cases because they don't give you that option to prop it up that I love.

alphaod
May 5, 2010, 12:41 AM
this probably won't make any sense but...i like girls who are only 50% naked and just tease you about the other 50%.

So the whole back is covered with only the front showing? :p

Or maybe just the whole left or right?

taskmanager
May 5, 2010, 12:52 AM
no. I have a skin and a case on mine. They are too fragile, and I don't want to be out $500 if I drop it.

msavwah
May 5, 2010, 12:53 AM
I really did like using it naked until my apple case showed up. That case works just right for me. But I'm getting a 3G soon and I read a speed test where the 3G speed is s little slower inside the apple case. So I'll be looking for an alternative if my Speed test comparisons deem it worthy.

Matthew9559
May 5, 2010, 12:59 AM
I like the look of the iPad naked but I am not a fan of holding it without a case. Plus, keeping it in my case will keep it in better condition to eventually sell on eBay for a Revision 2 Model iPad.

gillybean
May 5, 2010, 01:01 AM
I really did like using it naked until my apple case showed up. That case works just right for me. But I'm getting a 3G soon and I read a speed test where the 3G speed is s little slower inside the apple case. So I'll be looking for an alternative if my Speed test comparisons deem it worthy.

I've been using my 3g in an Apple case and the 3g speed seems fine. I haven't tried speed tests yet.

Dammit Cubs
May 5, 2010, 01:15 AM
So the whole back is covered with only the front showing? :p

Or maybe just the whole left or right?

well i probably would do 50% naked here. Even though, those belkin grip vue I heard are good. i would go with a sleeve to put my ipad in when i'm using it and just take it out of the case when i need it.

Right now, i'm trying out the apple official case and I have to say...its pretty damn sweet. It just gets dirty easily but feels great on the hands.

Matthew9559
May 5, 2010, 01:29 AM

My 32 GB 3G iPad is working just as well in the case as naked. Just did a speed test.

Shasta McNasty
May 5, 2010, 02:01 AM
I'm fully covered with an invisible shield but when I travel with the pad it goes in my incase. I couldn't live with it stuck in a case all the time.

Stealthipad
May 5, 2010, 05:11 AM
I like mine with the InCase skin on the back. It fits perfect, makes it a little more easy to hold onto and you can set your iPad down anywhere without a scratch! It does attract CAT HAIR!:eek:

I do have the Speck cover for the back on the way in Bat Wing Black! Just want to see how it fits and hope it does not attract the cat hair so bad!

mrdinh
May 5, 2010, 06:10 AM
naked all the way!!!...same with my iphone and now ipad...

i don't want to hide the beauty of the apple design!!!

except kinda worry about my kids crashing it...can't have it all!

Liam8
May 5, 2010, 06:26 AM
i was told in another thread to get a case

MultiFinder17
May 5, 2010, 06:32 AM
I got the Apple case on launch day along with my iPad, and kept it in there for a week or so. I slowly began taking it out more because I like the feel of the device out of the case more. Now I mostly use it out of the case, unless I'm typing more than a few lines, in which case I pop it back in to prop it up. I also slip it in when I'm carrying it around in my bag. The biggest reason that I got a case was for scratches - my first-gen iPhone is still looking pretty good after nearly three years, but I'd like to keep the iPad looking even better for even longer :)

ScrewTheDaisies
May 5, 2010, 06:40 AM
No case, no skin, no screen protector. Just me and an iPad....

awmazz
May 5, 2010, 06:40 AM
http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_36/products_id/1321

That looks good to me. And I just saw the same stuff in the ad that was just at the bottom of this forum page for the Macbook version - http://www.ion-factory.com/macbook_02.html

How does it actually attach, is it solid enough that the edges don't come loose? And the Apple logo bit is just a plastic film cover instead?

dannyjames8
May 5, 2010, 06:43 AM
i used to have a case, but took it off as it was too bulky.

i dont really mind about scratches on the back, as long as there arnt any on the screen.

mlblacy
May 5, 2010, 06:55 AM
I was underwhelmed by the Apple case, and had thought I had thrown away the money... But after a few days I have come to appreciate the case a bit more.

My Touch has always been naked, and is battle-scarred beyond belief. My Air has a neoprene sleeve for travel, but other than that no case. While I still have issues with the design, it is not really stable, it leans a bit and doesn't quite sit square, and using the controls are a pain, etc., I have come to change my opinion. Using it with the little flap-tuck thing makes the Pad MUCH easier to use and balance when it sits on your lap, also when it is on a desk it is also easier to use. I thought the case picked up a lot of crap too easily and was going to be a pain to clean, but I took a damp sponge and it wiped off perfectly.

The iPad is indeed a slippery devil, and I can see it being dropped quite easily (yikes). The case does stop a bit of that worry, as it is grippy and provides more handholds than a naked pad.

Still, my preference is probably using it at home with no case, but as soon as I hit the door it goes into the case. I do like the carbon back plate, I do find myself cringing when the metal back gets set down on a hard counter.
Michael

cecoleman
May 5, 2010, 07:22 AM
I did not want a case... why make it bigger than it needs to be? THE BEST SOLUTION?

Here you go, buy a Zagg Invisible Shield for the BACK ONLY. I have done this and its great. No heavy case, yet the back is protected from scratches from sitting it down on tables and other flat surfaces. Then buy a travel case with a zipper or a one similar to the Apple's version for when you are out and about. Use it more like a brief case.

The ZAGG screen on back looks and feels fantastic.

Peter Harrison
May 5, 2010, 07:31 AM
I don't actually have an ipad yet, but I've played with one and looked at a few cases. At the moment I'm assuming I will use the ipad without a case, and I've already bought a nice Belkin sleeve thing to keep it safe when not in use or when I'm traveling.

But I won't know for sure until I've used the ipad at home for a while. If I do feel it needs a case after using it everyday, I'll be going for the MacAlly one.

gdeputy
May 5, 2010, 07:40 AM
I did not want a case... why make it bigger than it needs to be? THE BEST SOLUTION?

Here you go, buy a Zagg Invisible Shield for the BACK ONLY. I have done this and its great. No heavy case, yet the back is protected from scratches from sitting it down on tables and other flat surfaces. Then buy a travel case with a zipper or a one similar to the Apple's version for when you are out and about. Use it more like a brief case.

The ZAGG screen on back looks and feels fantastic.

Sure does I have zagg on front and back, it's awesome. I'll replace the front unfortunately soon though because I got some fibers under it but if i didn't I would have left it on

kepner
May 5, 2010, 07:42 AM
I keep it in a Griffin Elan Sleeve (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-sleeve-ipad) when I'm carrying it. Otherwise, caseless.

angemon89
May 5, 2010, 07:48 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Spinstormer/photo-1.jpg

This is very good and looks cool. I have an NLU Anti-glare HD screen protector which looks great as well (I also have an Apple case I put it in when I go out).

I love the Apple case's flexibility but it gets dirty very easily - thats my only complaint... its slim and not at all bulky and if it was less dirty it would be perfect.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_36/products_id/1321I want something like this but looks like it's out of stock. Are there other alternatives out there that anyone knows about?

I hate cases, but I would love to protect the back with something like that because every time I set down my iPad I feel as though I'm scratching it.

d.l.b.
May 5, 2010, 08:08 AM
Here's what I don't understand...I've seen the youtube video of some dude taking a dremel tool to the screen, dropping screws on it, and keying the hell out of it...since when do I apparently use my device in a hard hat only construction zone? I mean seriously, chances are, you are already careful with your device and with my iPhone, I've had it for a year, no case, no screen protector, just throw it in my pocket and go... and it doesn't have one scratch on the screen! I think Zagg and other similar companies are using clever marketing to make you think that, "Yes your screen is fragile, and yes, our product is the only solution! So please, forget that expensive glass screen, use our cheap piece of plastic instead because I gotta fever, and the only prescription, is more cheap plastic! " I think just common sense like, don't put your phone in a pocket with keys, and other things like, oh I don't know, DON'T TAKE A BELT SANDER OR DROP SCREWS ON YOUR SCREEN!!! :eek:

cecoleman
May 5, 2010, 08:08 AM
Sure does I have zagg on front and back, it's awesome. I'll replace the front unfortunately soon though because I got some fibers under it but if i didn't I would have left it on

Yea, I didn't get the front screen as I like the feel of the bare glass and don't anticipate damaging the glass. I keep it on a picture stand or on its back on the table. I have the Casemate screen "Go Bare" on my iPhone and I don't like the screen on the iPhone screen just because its tough to slide your finger across the screen.

tyrone7000
May 5, 2010, 08:14 AM
at least untill one of my 2 cases arrive. I ordered the marware eco vue, and a no namer from Amazon.

melman101
May 5, 2010, 08:16 AM
I'm using the Apple Case. My only regret is that I also bought the dock and was too lazy to return it :-).

Also, I'm not too fond of the sides when playing Real Racing HD, but other than that, it's great for protection and what not :-).

BobVB
May 5, 2010, 09:02 AM
Have Ghost Armor on the back and an Incase padded sleeve for transport.

The Ghost Armor is great in its added benefit of making the back less slick - I have nerve damage in my left hand but I haven't even come close to dropping my iPad yet.

I like the  Docks and didn't want something that would prevent me from using them (kitchen, bedroom, computer desk)

Had the Ghost Armor on the screen to but there is a faint 'orange peel' texture to it that shows up in the right light. I've never gotten a scratch on my iPhone so I figure the iPad's front is pretty safe. (though the Ghost Armor showed finger prints less than the actual screen)

None Such
May 5, 2010, 10:00 AM
I would like to go commando with mine but it just isn't that practical. I love the way it feels in my hands without a case. However, on the go it needs something to protect it. So I have it in the Apple case and it's so hard to take out that I just don't bother when I get home with it.

brn2ski00
May 5, 2010, 10:04 AM
I don't have a case, but I like them.

I use the neoprene Incase zip up sleeve - works good for travelling, but I use the device naked around the house.

Looking at a grip style/iphone case for use, but haven't decided on one yet.

anthonymoody
May 5, 2010, 10:39 AM
I use a gelaskin on the back. Have a waterfield desgins sleeve for toting in my bag.

The gelaskin gives the best of bit worlds. Naked form factor and weight. But scratch protection.