Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmorrow76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
St. Louis
I'm not sure exactly why this makes so much of a difference however I seem to really have an issue with the feel using the iPad in case. I picked up the Apple case on launch day which is decent enough yet it just feels much better without an intrusive case. Am in alone on this?

Anyone else going caseless? I've taken the same approach with my iPhone for the past few years with no issues thus far.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
You could try a case like the Belkin Grip Vue.

It's clear and adds very little intrusiveness. It also makes the iPad easier to hold and protects it from scratches.

PerfectCr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Same here, caseless. I don't like using the iPad when inside of of a case. I do use the InCase Slip Sleeve to carry it from point A to point B however.

Toar77

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Back to using a case

I didn't like the feel of the case at first and removed it after the first day. After a couple of days I worried about scratching the bottom of the iPad. I started using the case again and now I wouldn't go without it. Just took a little getting used to.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
I'm currently caseless, however I plan to buy a case for when I am traveling. Probably going to buy an Apple case if I can find one in stock.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
It's not grippy enough for me, so I got a Belkin Grip View and it's perfect, and it's clear, so it doesn't hide the beauty.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I'm worried about getting scratches on the back:(
I'd like to get the belkin grip vue, but I like the apple case because it folds into a stand so I'll probably end up getting it when I can

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Ive always been against using a case, I think it ruins the device, however for the iPad, the Macally Bookstand case makes it so much more convenient to use that I have to use it. I no longer have to use to hands to prop up and use the iPad...it can just stand on it's own which makes it really nice. Plus the case is so slim, you don't even notice it when using the iPad, it doesn't cover up any of the bezel.

BookStand.jpg

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
My plan, when I settle on my final iPad, is to just skin it. It's way too slippery naked for my hands.
I've ordered a textured back skin and will use a matte screen shield. I'll slip a case over it for outside use.
I had the Macally Bookstand for a while, and agree it was nice, but I want to go as minimal as possible.

itcrashed

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Vinyl skin on the back and clear film on the front. I figure that's the best of both worlds. Scratch protection without the unnecessary clunkiness.

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
You could try a case like the Belkin Grip Vue.

It's clear and adds very little intrusiveness. It also makes the iPad easier to hold and protects it from scratches.

The Belkin Grip Vue is a great case. I tried it, but returned it for a Gelli case made by Casemate. It's thinner and adds even less bulk to my iPad. My iPad feels almost naked now. ;)

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I hate cases, but I have scuffed enough iPhones to know better. I am really careful with my stuff, too. The iPad didn't seem so slippery as it seems it could simply just lose balance in my hand with an awkward grab. What annoys me about Apple is the goddam Apple. That logo, from the word go on the iPhone and now the iPad is so sensitive. With the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS and now the iPad, the curved back put the most pressure on that Apple logo. Stale bread crumbs could easily scratch it. Otherwise, the rest of the case seems pretty scratch resistant. I got a couple silicon cases cheap on eBay for like 8 bucks, free shipping. Fit the iPad like a glove and don't take that much real estate. Not sure if it is grippier and it is silicon so grabbing it s certain way could move the case here and there, but so far so good. I can place it down and not worry. I have a Targus netbook 10" case, which was too roomy for the iPad, but now is a good fit with the silicon case on it. No other cases have been available, all sold out at Best Buy and the Apple store. Any of the good cases you will get price-gouged on eBay ($89.99 for the Apple case, ridiculous). I do love the look and feel of the iPad without a case though. Plus, no one I know has one, so it is instant "Hey, look at his new toy!"

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Been using mine sans case since the 30th and I cannot wait until my case arrives. Aside from the usefulness of having something to prop it up, the iPad has a very slick body and holding it in profile while reading can become a pain as it slips easily if you don't keep a firm grasp on it.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I went with the Apple case because it can be propped up and that makes things easier to type. But I do think the case gets in the way and would prefer to go caseless. Maybe only when I am typing longer docs i'll put it in the case and normal use take it out? Still trying to figure it out.

Bigrahizzle

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I have no case on it either. Just don't like it to be soo restrictive. I ordered a waterfield sleeve case ultimate(vertical) to put it in when I'm on the move.

If a company makes a slider type case I will try that out since I have a slider on my iPhone and just love how it doesn't take up soo much space.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I have been using it naked, but I am now looking for a case. I use this too often so even the mustly dull edges are digging into my hand too much.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Can't stand a case on it. I have the apple case but it adds weight and the only time I use it is if I take it out of the house. I do have a skin on the back to protect it.

scotty56

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Oregon
No case. Never have, never will. I love the way it feels naked in my hands. It rarely, if ever leaves my couch area or bed so it works for me.

erillanos

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
My iPad is still like it was born.
Naked it will always be.

It only sleeps in a hand made bag when in the bockbag.

Then its back to being naked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.