PDA

View Full Version : X Gear Case vs Macally Bookstand

ben12345
May 4, 2010, 07:29 PM
Just found this item. The X Gear case design looks a lot like the Maccally Bookstand case but is available in black. It looks very nice. Price is about $10. more.

Skystar
May 4, 2010, 08:26 PM
Just found this item. The X Gear case design looks a lot like the Maccally Bookstand case but is available in black. It looks very nice. Price is about $10. more.

I wish they had better pictures, I have a carbon fiber skin (SGP) on the back of my ipad for scratch protection and would love to use this carbon fiber style folio case instead of my macally bookstand. I think they use the same design.

Formul
May 4, 2010, 08:50 PM
http://www.xgearlive.com/products/for-ipad/folio-for-ipad

really looks like a ripoff of the bookstand, could be a nice case though

jedolley
May 4, 2010, 08:53 PM
This has been on Macmall and Amazon for pre-order for awhile, but they didn't have any decent pictures of it. I want to say that the price is going to be around $50-$60 or atleast that was the price on Macmall and Amazon earlier.

elleana
May 4, 2010, 11:48 PM
What material is it - what's it made of?

jedolley
May 5, 2010, 12:00 AM
What material is it - what's it made of?

This is from their site:

This rugged Folio case is a form fit hard case wrap in leather like carbon fiber. Giving you the look but not the expensive cost of real carbon fiber, XGear case are wrap in it standard triple layers protective material starting it suede on the inside, so your iPad never completely touch hard rough surface, support by the XGear rugged design inner structure hard ABS plastic to protect your iPad, and finally wrap by the stylish carbon fiber leather look to give it style. Having the look with out the expense.

Skystar
May 5, 2010, 01:36 AM
This has been on Macmall and Amazon for pre-order for awhile, but they didn't have any decent pictures of it. I want to say that the price is going to be around $50-$60 or atleast that was the price on Macmall and Amazon earlier.

The pictures I've seen on amazon and macmall are totally different from the actual xgearlive website. They don't provide a contact number and I don't want to order until I see a real review.

ben12345
May 5, 2010, 08:53 PM
The pictures I've seen on amazon and macmall are totally different from the actual xgearlive website. They don't provide a contact number and I don't want to order until I see a real review.

It says on their web site it is not available until May 17th.

SMacDuff
May 14, 2010, 06:36 AM
I've never been impressed with the Macally Bookstand, especially its ability to withstand normal wear and tear but the XGear case looks like it is much sturdier and looks great. I'm going to per-order it today and will post a review of it if nobody else does.

ben12345
May 14, 2010, 10:44 AM
I plan to pre-order as well. I do have the Macally bookstand on order with Amazon. So I think I will try both and return the one that I like least. I did notice that Macally has their bookstand on their website for shipment but it is more costly than Amazon.

Fireproof!
May 14, 2010, 11:04 AM
Interested to see what people think of the X Gear when in-hand. I can't tell what the material is made of. Looks like maybe a plastic or faux-leather that might not be as nice in person as it looks on the web.

But the big thing I'm curious about is the stiffness of the cover. Would be cool if it's a lot more stiff than the flimsy Macally (my only real complaint).

maddogjt
May 14, 2010, 11:54 AM
I have a pre-order in for the X Gear case. I plan on making an unboxing video & mini-review, so stay tuned.

ben12345
May 17, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have a pre-order in for the X Gear case. I plan on making an unboxing video & mini-review, so stay tuned.

There website says they are now shipping. Looking forward to your review.