Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ok, my Mom isn't super tech savvy, but I would like to get her an iPod Touch for Mother's Day. I was planning on the 8 GB model (plenty for her projected use), but then I thought, would it be better to get her a clean used 3G iPhone? I would pull the SIM so she could still use it as a iPod, but the 3G iPhone would add a camera and GPS. I've seen some clean ones listed in the $200-$250 range.

Which should I get? Other than being new and thinner, is there any other advantage that the iPod Touch would have over the 3G iPhone (w/o SIM)? Thanks!

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
+ve for the iphone option is you can put the skype app on it and have a wifi skype telephone and use it like a telephone without the headphones.

and the GPS bit wouldnt be able to be used with google maps app when she is away from wifi but if you put on the tomtom app then that would work 100% cause the maps are with the app and not downloaded as needed

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I am planning to link the new iPhone/iTouch to my account which would then give her access to my apps (including Navigon).

I know, the new ones coming out are tempting, but 1.) she probably won't know any different and 2.) my parents are going on a trip in a week or so and probably would probably use it a bit during the travel especially.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I think that, as a gift, it should be a new iPod touch rather than a used iPhone.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I'd go with the iPod touch since it is new. A used gift is kind of tacky in my opinion.

If she isn't tech-savvy, make sure you help her put her music collection on it or else she probably won't ever use it.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I'd go with the iPod touch since it is new. A used gift is kind of tacky in my opinion.

If she isn't tech-savvy, make sure you help her put her music collection on it or else she probably won't ever use it.

Yeah, that is true. New is always nicer. For me, I never mind buying refurbs or used, but as a gift, I see your point.

I'm sure I'll be holding her hand getting it set up in iTunes initially. I have taught her how to buy songs on iTunes and even burn a CD once (whether she remembers, I'm not sure).

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I think that, as a gift, it should be a new iPod touch rather than a used iPhone.

+1

If she's not going to use it as a phone, don't bother tempting fate. I've heard a story or two about an iPhone not working without a SIM card. If you aren't going to use cellular data or voice, don't bother with the phone. You can find a new iPod touch for $180 at Amazon.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Well, after debating and going to Costco looking at the iPod Touch models, I ultimately bought a 3G 8gb iPhone from a seller on ebay. He was local and I met him in person. $200 cash. Came with the original box and everything, had a screen protector plus two extras, back and chrome are in excellent condition, and Apple Care through July 2011. I just thought it was too good of a deal to pass up (even if used). Hopefully she'll like it!

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Well, after debating and going to Costco looking at the iPod Touch models, I ultimately bought a 3G 8gb iPhone from a seller on ebay. He was local and I met him in person. $200 cash. Came with the original box and everything, had a screen protector plus two extras, back and chrome are in excellent condition, and Apple Care through July 2011. I just thought it was too good of a deal to pass up (even if used). Hopefully she'll like it!

Whatever floats your boat! :p

julie.hao

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
Ok, my Mom isn't super tech savvy, but I would like to get her an iPod Touch for Mother's Day.

My mom isn't techsavvy as well - I have stopped on eBook as a present - think she loves it!

Just a share for us techsavvers - ThankYouPen http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thank-you-pen/id432528350?mt=8 - iPhone app that helps to send a handwritten (not e- card!) message to your Mothers when you are lack of time and live in another city!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.